Support characters

I realize through pouring through many links and tomes of incomplete information there are no 'support characters' so to speak.

There are many support skills of course, from multiple characters, yet none like a monk.

it doesn't mean I can't tweak a character to be a dedicated one any way.

Cause I'm rebellious like that. :)

I know when more info is available, more can be posted of course, yet I'd like as much info as possible, even up to and including running commentary as things go, on how to achieve such a goal.

What have y'all got so far on the matter proposed?

As I understand it, the devs tried to eliminate the fixed roles that are pretty much standard in MMORPG's. Reading a few beta reviews, they may have fallen a little short of that goal, but the roles are definitely diminished.

• 3 weeks later...

Anet has said there are no dedicated healers, everyone is responsible for their own health. Also there isn't a need to party unless you feel like it, everyone can participate without being in an actual party.

No dedicated healers but everyone can revive a dead player. I actually like the idea that you don't have to have a set group of tank, healer etc. More like a come as you are and have fun.

• Like! 1

I remember in the original guild wars how tough/ weird almost unfair it was for healers... everyone would sit around dungeon entrances all clamoring for the attention of a healer, and when you got into battle, it was almost unfair how people would blame the healer if the battle went awry... I think I'm going to like this new set up, definitely a tone more flexibility and noone blaming any single person for lack of healings... Wygram, not having to be in a party is new to me, how does that work out?

:)

gogo

I remember in the original guild wars how tough/ weird almost unfair it was for healers... everyone would sit around dungeon entrances all clamoring for the attention of a healer, and when you got into battle, it was almost unfair how people would blame the healer if the battle went awry... I think I'm going to like this new set up, definitely a tone more flexibility and noone blaming any single person for lack of healings... Wygram, not having to be in a party is new to me, how does that work out?

:)

gogo

I am only at the very beginning (Queensdale) since I am getting all of my Ranger weapons skills activated (character Death Fangs Bane). It actually plays like one very large group/party, everyone in the area gets involved with the events and filling the hearts. Die and someone is normally ready and willing to revive you. They can start your revival and if they need to fight they can break away and battle. Someone else can carry on reviving you as the battle rages or after that wave is killed off. :viking:

In Guild Wars I never joined a guild and soloed the instances, because I found the people too over the top or they never liked my build. I like this style a great deal. But you can be partied up but it is not a carved in stone requirement.

Yeah, the dedicated healer thing has been around since D & D, and it was skirted around by a strong party build with high secondaries, but GW 2 seems to have pulled it off, from what I read.

This doesn't mean however you can't use a buffer, a protector (not necessarily the class) or supporter, who chooses skills and powerups to setup a party.

From what I've seen an engineer may be the kind of supporter I'm looking to play in parties, with a second a protector class

I'd imagine the guys around you stay stronger longer bro.

Like when in GW one you and your party have more red bar, and the bad guys have less red bar

That seems a whole lot more difficult to measure than body count. :Just_Cuz_21:

This last beta event, I made a Mesmer and attempted to do support via boons and conditions (I.e. granting positive effects and removing negative effects from players, as well as inflicting negative effects on foes).

The next beta, I intend to do a water Elementalist, which sports a number of the much weakened group heals. After that, I want to try a Guardian which AFAIK does boon and condition support. The Engineer seems like another promising support class, but rifles, pistols and flame throwers? :nooo: Not for me.