Spell Resistance bugged?

Hello,

I'm playing Sacred 2 and since my char has a low willpower attribute (= low spell resistance stat), I'm thinking of choosing the spell resistance skill. To my surprise, this skill doesn´t increase your spell resistance stat. However, if I equip any item with a +X% spell resistance modifier, the SR stat is raised. This skill is supposed to give a boost to your SR through a percentage (which doesn't seem to be applied to anything) and it also offers a chance to evade critical hits and reduce detrimental effects. There are a few old posts discussing this matter: some people say SR is bugged while others think SR works but it's hard to check. Anyway, this topic is still a bit confusing. What do you think? Have you tested this skill?

And btw, does SR protect against weapon-based CAs?

Regards

Tony

OK, the devs said SR works and I trust them ;) but I don't get the idea yet.

According to the article of SacredWiki, SR works for the Spell Intensity/Spell Resistance check in the same way that the "Combat Reflexes" skill does for the Attack/Defence check.

-- The CR skill gives an additional probability or chance of avoiding normal attacks (melee or ranged attacks): at level 1 of CR, your chance is 3.1%; at level 200, you get 61.4%.

-- But, as the skill description says, Spell Resistance gives an increase or boost (not a chance) of a value or stat (spell resistance?) and it may be more than 100%.

Do you see my point?

And I'd like to know whether SR protects against weapon-based Combat Arts as well.

Thanx

According to the article of SacredWiki, SR works for the Spell Intensity/Spell Resistance check in the same way that the "Combat Reflexes" skill does for the Attack/Defence check.

I don't think that's an accurate comparison. I'd say SR works more like Parrying from Sacred Underworld does: rather than affecting enemy's hit chance directly (like CR and evasion mod on items do), it boosts special stat that is used to calculate an outcome of attack.

When spell resistance stat check against attacker's spell intensity attribute is successful, character receives reduced damage from attacker's spell (as opposed to atk/def/evasion successful check, in which case character does not receive any damage at all).

I doubt that SR (both stat and skill) is of any use against weapon-based CAs because it's unlikely that such CAs have "spell intensity" attribute.

Yep, I agree but Parrying increases your defence (an additional shield improves the situation) while SR doesn't seem to change anything. So I think

a) SR increases some kind of hidden value which intervenes in the SI/SR check.

or

b) SR increases the SR stat but, for some unknown reason, your actual SR stat is not displayed.

Well, if someone gets a clear insight into the exact workings of SR, feel free to post.

After all, I think I'll skip this skill... :P

See ya

I think people only use SR skill because of it's mastery bonus: reducing damage over time.

It is much easier to reduce probability to get hit by CAs, melee and ranged (via reflect and block mods on items) rather than managing multiple hits (even though their damage will be reduced by resistances, damage mitigation and/or SR/SI check).

The only damage/attack type that can't be blocked in such way is DoT (iirc, it also ignores mitigation/resistances, which makes it especially deadly) and this skill allows for saving few precious sockets in the character's gear that otherwise would be *wasted* on -% DoT amulets.

Edited by ololcat
  • 1 month later...

So spell resistance mastery grants the DE which is good to have vs dots. Im wondering... Because, according to the SR-table on SacredWiki, at SRlevel 75 the "reduction of DE" starts at +35.6%, and ends at 20.9% at SR skill level 200. Am I getting it wrong or does the reduction get worse per level, as the percentage reduced keeps falling?

In the Wiki article, it explains that the sum of the chance to evade criticals and the reduction in DE's add up to 100...

it doesn't make much sense, but that is the explaination given.

I agree with you, so the actual question is, would you like to protect yourself from crits, or the following DOT?

as I see it, the prot from crits is instant damage. So, as the dot pilfer health over time, it would be better to rest the SR at 75 skill point to get a maz DE protection and then use items to make sure you are protected from crits?

I agree with you, so the actual question is, would you like to protect yourself from crits, or the following DOT?

as I see it, the prot from crits is instant damage. So, as the dot pilfer health over time, it would be better to rest the SR at 75 skill point to get a maz DE protection and then use items to make sure you are protected from crits?

I would probably prefer more DoT protection at the endgame. Since I only played the console version (where DoT is not very dangerous) I cannot say from personal experience, but from what I have read... DoT is a huge killer in Ice and Blood.

Detremental Effects can be gained from gear, whereas DoT protection will mostly come from sockets, further increasing the value of DoT protection from a skill... IMO.

And I question the critical hit reduction anyway (if it works, and how it works). So, reducing it never worries me.

But the real question I think is: Is SR worth any points over 75?

I don't think so, take your DoT bonus and let the +skills handle the rest. If you need additional "situational" protection from DoT's (spitting spiders, mostly), that can be handled with one swapout piece with natural DoT and 2 sockets filled with DoT amulets.