Guild Wars 2 - Voice chat?

Update-23 July 2012

A group of us have started using voice chat in GW2.

The C3 voice chat client is available here. Download and install the client, and then set up an account.

Start the client and go to the last tab, which is Settings. The most important frames here are the two on the far left. The top one is for Audio Devices. It allows you to select your Input and Output devices, although the default settings may be sufficient. In that same frame is a Mic Test button. That button will open a Microphone Test window. This allows you to adjust your microphone using a slider. Adjust the slider and use the Rec and Play buttons to find the best setting. The Voice Font drop-down list allows you to apply several different comical voice filters to your outgoing transmissions.

10gwku1.jpg

The second frame is Voice. This allows you to select voice-activated or push-to-talk. Push-to-talk has two modes. One mode only broadcasts while you are holding down a certain key, while the other mode toggles broadcasting on/off with the press of a key. The two modes of push-to-talk are mutually exclusive.

Now select the second top-level tab, which is Channels, and then the Search tab below that. In the Search by name box, type FDM and press ENTER (or click the magnifying glass) to search. Click the FDM channel and then the Add to Favorites button in the lower right. Switch to the Favorites tab and FDM should be listed there. There are multiple sub-channels beneath FDM. Click the down arrow on the right side of the FDM, and then click the right arrow next to the second level FDM. Highlight a channel and use the Join Channel button at the bottom right. You will be prompted for a password in order to connect. PM me if you need the password.

2q155xf.jpg

***NOTE***

I want to make one thing absolutely crystal clear at this point. I do not want anyone to feel compelled to use voice chat if they do not want to. If you wish to listen only, or forgo voice altogether, you are more than welcome to do so. I for one will make every reasonable effort to accommodate such members.

So what do you guys think, should we try to use a 3rd party voice chat app when playing GW2? I have read that a number of guilds use one, and there are good free options.

I'm not into voice chat at all, but I know a ton of others are... if you guys want, this is something that can be looked at, I think me and Schot and a few others tried out the free one... forget the name...

:D

gogo

I think me and Schot and a few others tried out the free one... forget the name...

:D

gogo

I know a lot of players use Ventrilo. I'm not that much into voice chat either, but if more people show interest for it, like gogo said, something specific could be put in place for the ones who will play.

Max

Man I don't think ya'll want to hear my train wreck of a voice.....think Barry White - with no soul :D

:biggrin:

I have never actually done it. I loaded Skype and resurrected a long forgotten account to use with Ice and Blood because another member here wanted someone to play with. He disappeared before we ever actually got to try it out.

Ah, Skype yeah! I think it was Skype that we tried out using...free and excellent reception, I think Schot may be interested in trying it again this time around

:)

gogo

Man I don't think ya'll want to hear my train wreck of a voice.....think Barry White - with no soul :D

:4rofl:

Good one Knuckles. That actually gave me a laugh out loud literally.

Thanks!

In all seriousness. I think there will be enough going on to keep my attention. Voice chat would only complicate the events further. Never using the tech. before. Never playing the game before. That is a lot to ask an old dog to learn all at once.

Call me old school, just used to typing while in-game with comrades. It's all I know.

I remain, :tomato:

:4rofl:

Good one Knuckles. That actually gave me a laugh out loud literally.

Thanks!

In all seriousness. I think there will be enough going on to keep my attention. Voice chat would only complicate the events further. Never using the tech. before. Never playing the game before. That is a lot to ask an old dog to learn all at once.

Call me old school, just used to typing while in-game with comrades. It's all I know.

I remain, :tomato:

Funny. I would use that same argument against this newfangled text chat. I still have never gotten the hang of typing while trying to play.

Funny. I would use that same argument against this newfangled text chat. I still have never gotten the hang of typing while trying to play.

gogo sure does make it look easy however.

I remain, :D

• 2 months later...

A small group of us quietly tested C3 voice chat during BWE3 this past weekend. I am pleased to say that it was a success. For those of you who are unfamiliar with C3, it is a new offering comparable to established products like Vent and TeamSpeak. We chose C3 because (for now at least) it is free. I took the liberty of creating an FDM channel, with D3 and GW2 sub-channels. We can also create additional sub-channels so that if two or more groups are operating at the same time they are not talking over each other. All of the channels are password protected. PM me and I will send you the password, but I must insist on one thing. This channel is for DarkMatters only. Please, please, please only share the password via DarkMatters PM.

The details for the C3 channel are in the top post, and I will strive to update that post with any changes. I would like to reiterate one thing from that post though.

***NOTE***

I want to make one thing absolutely crystal clear at this point. I do not want anyone to feel compelled to use voice chat if they do not want to. If you wish to listen only, or forgo voice altogether, you are more than welcome to do so. I for one will make every reasonable effort to accommodate such members.

Ah, Skype yeah! I think it was Skype that we tried out using...free and excellent reception, I think Schot may be interested in trying it again this time around

:)

gogo

Problem with the free version of Skype (according to the Skype site) is that it is limited to 5 people on the link.

I went to the Skype site and you can get 10 people in conference but only with the Premium subscription.

Skype Premium

$4.99/month

Regular price $9.99

up to 50% off

All the great free features plus:

Unlimited calls to a country of your choice

Group video calls with up to 10 people

Group screen sharing

Live chat customer support

C3 on the other hand is unlimited with persons on the link, it really worked nice over this last BWE3. I would actually like to stay with C3 all things considered.

I was part of that small group, and while I was nervous at first, I think it worked great. And I also suggest that we could stick with C3, since it's free at the moment.

Max

***NOTE***

I for one will make every reasonable effort to accommodate such members.

And I gotta tell ya, you did a fantastic job :thumbsup: Currently unable to use a mic, so it was most appreciated that everyone took the time out of their gameplay to explain everything. But soon I will get to torture you all with my voice...soon... :butcher:

I too was one of the small group that used C3 this weekend. We definitely had a great time.

I am a veteran user of Ventrilo and even hosted my own vent server for many years. C3 ranks right up there with Vent and TS. It's easy to use and for me at least it seemed to uses less of my laptop's resources.

For those of you wary of Voice Chat, C3 is hosted by a reputable company (Vivox) that has provided game-integrated voice chat to millions of gamers for several years. Since it is hosted on their servers and their companies reputation is at stake they take great pains to keep their servers secure.

You're forgetting that some of us have heard you. :whistle:

Don't believe this garbage. He has a wonderful voice... could easily do commercials.

• 1 month later...

I have created a new sub-channel beneath FDM=>GW2, called Public. Rather than being password protected, it is by invitation only. This channel will be for use when running with non-guild members. That way, we do not have to give out our password, we simply invite them to the channel for the duration of the session.

(Yes, I know they will need C3, but it is quick and easy to set up.)

(Yes, I know they will need C3, but it is quick and easy to set up.)

I can confirm that, very easy, even for me...though I am yet to try it ingame with you guys. :)

Once Guesting comes online, we will definitely try it out.

• 4 months later...

I had given up on spreading the word of C3 due to an almost complete and total lack of interest. We had a new member inquire about voice chat, so I am bumping this thread in the unlikely event someone else would be interested.

Members are free to share the password with any guild member under the strict condition that it be done only via darkmatters PM.

The question was asked about the multiple sub channels beneath FDM. It was never my intention for the root channel to be used. My plan was for groups to use one of the several sub channels beneath GW2.