Guild Wars 2 open beta this weekend - April 27th thru 29th

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like prior beta testers are not automatically in:

The only way to absolutely guarantee your access to this or any future Beta Weekend Events is to pre-purchase any edition of Guild Wars 2.

I for one will be there. :viking:

I'll be there too, and I can't wait to meet you in-game.

And to answer the question about the previous testers, I read on twitter sometime ago that there is a small chance that they will also get to play in this beta.

Max

Bumping this topic because I read on the unoficial forum that some members of last month press beta started to download this beta.

So we may receieve the beta download links today. From what I read, the download seems to be between 12GB and 18GB.

I'm so ready to download this beast!

EDIT : An user completed the download. It was a little less than 13GB.

Max

Edited by Flooxim

Dang! I have work this weekend, but I'll see if I can pull off one of the days..it's a particularly harrowing schedule, I finish at twelve one night, and have to be back at work at 10 am the next morning...dunno if my eyeballs can take it specially after the radiation bath they received from this weekend's playing with Diablo 3 beta!

:4rofl:

gogo

I tried to download via a unofficial link on another forum, I got to the login screen, heard the menu music. Looks like I'm ready to go for the beta.

I confirm the download was 12.97GB to be exact.

EDIT : I read that e-mails have started to be sent to users for the download links, hope everyone will get it today.

Max

Edited by Flooxim

I got mine about an hour ago.

Edit: (05:45pm CDT)

Getting a "502 Bad Gateway" error on the link. From the support page, "If you are recieving a 502 error when trying to access the forums, please try again later.". :sigh:

Edit: (06:06pm CDT)

Got the login page. Entered my credentials and, [insert drumroll here], another 502 error.

Edit: (06:33pm CDT)

Made it through the gauntlet. Downloading the installer now.

I have not bought it yet bet heres some interesting info for GW2.

http://www.arena.net/blog/choosing-and-transferring-worlds-in-guild-wars-2

I just saw the same link. Here are a few of the more important points:

When Guild Wars 2 launches, you will also have the option to play with your friends on another world with our free “guesting” feature. With guesting, your characters can play on any world where you have friends—with certain restrictions.

While home-world selection and world transfers will be available during our Beta Weekend Event, guesting is not currently available.

We strongly recommend that you plan ahead and choose your server before the event begins on April 27.

Note, those are their italics, not mine.

The link also includes lists of server names.

I have not bought it yet bet heres some interesting info for GW2.

http://www.arena.net/blog/choosing-and-transferring-worlds-in-guild-wars-2

I just saw the same link. Here are a few of the more important points:

When Guild Wars 2 launches, you will also have the option to play with your friends on another world with our free “guesting” feature. With guesting, your characters can play on any world where you have friends—with certain restrictions.

While home-world selection and world transfers will be available during our Beta Weekend Event, guesting is not currently available.

We strongly recommend that you plan ahead and choose your server before the event begins on April 27.

Note, those are their italics, not mine.

The link also includes lists of server names.

Because they recommend choosing a server should The Fellowship of DarkMatters choose a "home world" for the guild?

I woke up this morning to an email that asked me to register my game. Since I had already done that and had the confirmation email I was a wee bit confused. But followed link and tried again and it said I has already registered. Hmm no email to download client though.

Was a little worried and hit their forums...found the link to download client and it's letting me so I guess I'm all set. Just really didn't need that scare when I'm still trying to wake up :D

I woke up this morning to an email that asked me to register my game. Since I had already done that and had the confirmation email I was a wee bit confused. But followed link and tried again and it said I has already registered. Hmm no email to download client though.

Was a little worried and hit their forums...found the link to download client and it's letting me so I guess I'm all set. Just really didn't need that scare when I'm still trying to wake up :D

Was the e-mail subject "You’re Invited to the Guild Wars 2 Beta Event April 27-29"? That was what mine said that I received yesterday. I followed the link to the "Getting Started" thread and it took me to their beta forum. From there, I clicked "News and Announcements" which took me to a thread list and then went to the "Getting Stated" thread. That thread had the download link.

(The whole thing seemed unnecessarily complicated to me. :Just_Cuz_21: )

Nope mine was a 'friendly reminder' to register my account :o (which I had already done)

Went on the forums and found out it was a generic email I could ignore...downloading client right now. Haven't gotten the invitation email yet. But guess I don't need it.

I agree that the whole thing seemed complicated, the download link could have been given in the e-mail.

I got the e-mail at 12:25am today, but I already downloaded the game as I said yesterday.

Max

I finished up the download tonight. I guess they got the message how complicated it was, their forum home page now has the download link.

Edit:

Since there be no guesting this weekend, we need to be on the same home server if you want to play together. Does anyone want to suggest a server?

Excellent question. IMO (mine, and mine alone) they are separate issues.

You are right, I tried to talk about these two cases at the same time, my bad.

For the server choice, I'd say if most of us (that will be in the beta this weekend) are from the US, we could pick any US server anyone decides to write.

EDIT : I like the name Eternal Grove. Should we pick this server for the event?

EDIT2: I read that Eredon Terrace has not been selected by a lot of players yet, and I think it's kind of interesting for me to say that a few guilds from Quebec picked this server.

Max

Edited by Flooxim

Eternal Grove is fine with me....with so many players probably trying to get in and this is still a beta I'll be on the NA servers....don't need to add lag/latency issues to any others that I'm sure will rear their ugly head this weekend

Eternal Grove it will be! Could someone edit the topic description to insert : "Server : Eternal Grove" so anyone here who's in the beta will pick this server?

EDIT : I just read the guide you linked. This is awesome. I'll try to get most waypoints as fast as possible to be able to play with anyone, wherever they are.

I should be online near 5pm EST tomorrow.

Max

Edited by Flooxim