Keyboard and Mouse Controls

Brilliant! I have a copy taped to my wall. I saw you mention controls in the other thread so I went looking for a link to post. Looks like you already found one. :)

Edit:

I understand maneuver is supposed to be very important in this game, but I am having trouble just walking in the correct direction, let alone attacking on the move. :blush:

I swear that my character was often standing right on top of the foe but was swinging in the wrong direction.

Despite my many attempts, I could never get the Tab Map to come up. :biggrin:

Edit (again):

Dear God, I want my Tab Map!

• 1 month later...

I would like to update this topic, specifically about keyboard controls, now that I have a lot more play time.

Default Layout

By default movement is mapped to QWES (with A & D rotating the camera), and your skills are 1-0 and F1-F4. Reaching some of the skills while moving is impossible for the average human. I used this layout during BWE1 and found it limiting.

Remapping Keys

The first alternative is to change some of the default key mappings. Most often this involves moving the higher number keys so they are around the movement keys. I did this for Stress Test1. While I found it better, it still required a certain amount of finger gymnastics.

Gaming Mouse

The second alternative is to use a gaming mouse with extra buttons, the Naga is the biggest name in this sector. This option seems to be popular with extreme gamers. They use the keyboard for movement only and all of their skills are on their mouse. I am too attached to my trackball to give it up, but I was able to put Heal, Dodge and Weapon Swap on my trackball. Along a similar line though, I am trying a Nostromo. The Nostromo is basically a weird looking, one hand keyboard with a thumbstick. I am liking it so far.

I love the nostromo!! It's completely intuitive, and we're able to map everything to it, even the coffee maker. It's built on the principle of the hand curl, and puts in buttons all the way up to the palm. I'm working on putting in all my d3 electives by the way onto the device

:)

gogo

Ohai, here is my input on controls

First this is a good link explaining the controls off the official wiki

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Controls

Second, I thinks since I currently play Guildwars, I seem to have an easier time with the controls.

I use a combination of the keyboard and the mouse for movement. Using the W to move forward and the S to move backwards. I use the right mouse button to move the camera around, and since you move whichever way your camera is pointing the A & D key are rarely used.

When using skills I tend to use a combination of 1-0 and the mouse to click on the actual skill bar. My basic attack is the "1" key since that auto attacks repeatedly, so I can hit the 1 and then have time to move my mouse. Still allowing me to use my right mouse button for directional movement no matter where my actual pointer is.

When im fighting to not die, I immediately and non stop spam the 1 key and use the mouse to click on any of the other 3 skills as they become available.

Sorry the "Tab" key doesn't have anything to do with the map. Use the "M" key for that... not the same as the tab map I know, but that's all there is folks. The "tab" key targets the mob/foe closest to you or with continued pressing cycles thru. If someone in your party has marked a mob you can target that mob by using the "T" key.

The only key I really really dislike is the "F" key which is used for so much. Not sure if it should be remapped or if so where the heck you would remap it to. I might just add it to either one of my programmable mouse keys.

I do miss in GW2 the "space bar" that in GW auto attacks the closest mob. If you see me in game always jumping when we are fighting... lol well that's why, cuz it second nature to hit the space bar to attack. As well as being able to use the left mouse button for movement. Oh well... maybe by release:) ya think:)

If I can think of anything else I do that might make it essier on ya all, ill let ya kno.

Cheers

Kiy

Edited by Kiyeri

I never really had any trouble with the "F" key. With my index finger on the D, the F was easy to hit. IIRC, Z, X and C are all unused. Also, if you do not need to turn with keyboard, A or S could be commandeered. Of course, an unused mouse button would also work.

As for click to move... :nooo:

I don't have any problems with the F key either, but I've had problems with the space bar, just like you Kiy.

The controls were not so hard to get used to for me, mostly because I played GW1 for a while, just like you Kiy.

If anyone wants to share more tips and tricks about the controls, this can be the place to do it.

Max

Two things:

1. There is a key (not mapped by default) that allows you to do an instant about-face. At first, I was unsure what purpose that would serve. Then I saw a video of an Elementalist using it. I guess the Ele has a skill that allows them to retreat and leave a trail of fire. In the video, the guy was running away, did an about-face and immediately hit the fire retreat skill. The effect was that he continued moving away from the enemy and left a trail of fire. He then did another about-face and continued move. Interesting...
  2. Can you call a target in the downed state? As we all know, if you kill an enemy while downed, you rally back to life. I was thinking that if you could call a target, your allies could focus on that foe as well. If the situation is too hot, your friends might not be able to revive you, but they could possibly help you rally.