The new Sacred 2 CM patch - Now available for Ice & Blood

Thanks for the quick replies Silver_fox and czevak.

Here are all the lines relating to global.res that I found:

[02/17/2011 20:48:18] Skipped	Patch file (conditions): E:\Sacred 2\2.65.1 Commipatch\0100\locale\de_DE\global.res
[02/17/2011 20:48:18] Skipped	Patch file (conditions): E:\Sacred 2\2.65.1 Commipatch\0100\locale\en_UK\global.res
[02/17/2011 20:48:18] Skipped	Patch file (conditions): E:\Sacred 2\2.65.1 Commipatch\0100\locale\es_ES\global.res
[02/17/2011 20:48:18] Skipped	Patch file (conditions): E:\Sacred 2\2.65.1 Commipatch\0100\locale\fr_FR\global.res
[02/17/2011 20:48:18] Skipped	Patch file (conditions): E:\Sacred 2\2.65.1 Commipatch\0100\locale\it_IT\global.res
[02/17/2011 20:48:18] Skipped	Patch file (conditions): E:\Sacred 2\2.65.1 Commipatch\0100\locale\ru_RU\global.res

So it seems that the file is being skipped for some reason...

I also noticed another oddity:

[02/17/2011 20:48:13] Skipped	Patch file (conditions): E:\Sacred 2\2.65.1 Commipatch\0100\locale\en_UK\Itemnames.csv

I never really thought about it before, but when I saw this I remembered that some of the lightsabers I've found have some... strange names, to say the least. One of them's a Morningstar (?) and the other is a Nunchaku (!). Could this again be due to the file not getting patched, or are these names normal for them?

Regarding global.res, I never touched the registry after installing the game. I've been wondering whether to try and reinstall the game, but I'm worried about losing my save. If I uninstall then reinstall, is there any real chance my character won't work? (can't imagine why, but better safe than sorry :) )

Thanks again.

Yes, the unique names are also stored in the global.res.

I don't know if reinstalling the game will solve this problem. I suggest you try one of our test programs on this:

from http://forum.sacred2.de/showthread.php?t=72615

Sacred2 Launcher: http://rapidshare.com/files/394574190/Sacred2Launcher.zip

Version Check: http://rapidshare.com/files/426399443/Sacred2VersionCheck.zip

With this you can easyly see the registry data of sacred2. The Launcher should work for your version, but the Version Check won't because I don't have got the correct md5s for that version of the game.

CU Marcus

Edited by marcuswob

Thanks for the suggestions marcuswob.

The launcher worked fine. It displays, detects both language and speech as en_UK, and I can start the game through the launcher.

Version check detects en_UK and 2.65.1, but the checksum fails because Sacred2-UK-2_65_1.md5 is missing, as you said it would. Still both detect the correct version and languages... so I can't imagine why global.res wouldn't get updated. I even checked the file attributes, thinking maybe it had somehow been set as read-only, but it's not. And the CM install was done in administrative mode, with no indication that it failed (and besides, aside from this issue of text, everything else seems to work flawlessly).

The only thing I can still think of is the initial patching before Ice and Blood. when installing the game, this is the order I did things:

- install Sacred 2

- update to 2.40 (required by Ice and Blood)

- install Ice & Blood

- update to 2.6.51

- intall CM v100

I therefore skipped installing patch 2.43, which IIRC is the latest Fallen Angel patch. Could that be making a difference?

If this isn't it I'll try a reinstall and see what happens.

No, skipping 2.43 patch doesn't matter because Ice and Blood includes it. Also, I installed my game in the exact same order - original, then 2.40, Ice and Blood, 2.65.1 and 2.65.2 patches, then CM. But it works OK without 2.65.2 too. In my case all the files were installed correctly.

If you want to reinstall - your savegames would be OK. But you can also make a backup if you want to. The savegames are usually stored in My Documents inside the Ascaron Entertainment folder. At least in WinXP it's so. For Win7 they are said to be stored in 'C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\Ascaron Entertainment'. Just copy the Sacred 2 folder to make a backup.

Edited by Silver_fox

Thanks Silver, already knew where the saves were stored (the game crashes occasionally on Windows 7, so I've made it a habit to back up the saves after each play session, just in case). Would you mind posting the lines from your patchlog relating to global.res? I'd like to compare them to what I've got (even if you have a non-UK version, the appropriate language should still look different).

No problem. I have both russian and english versions, but since it's not necessary to post the patchlog for en_UK one - here is the one for ru_RU. All the global.res files are skipped except for the one.

[03/05/2011 03:56:52] Skipped	Patch file (conditions): E:\Sacred 2\2.65.1 Commipatch\0100\locale\de_DE\global.res
[03/05/2011 03:56:52] Skipped	Patch file (conditions): E:\Sacred 2\2.65.1 Commipatch\0100\locale\en_UK\global.res
[03/05/2011 03:56:52] Skipped	Patch file (conditions): E:\Sacred 2\2.65.1 Commipatch\0100\locale\es_ES\global.res
[03/05/2011 03:56:52] Skipped	Patch file (conditions): E:\Sacred 2\2.65.1 Commipatch\0100\locale\fr_FR\global.res
[03/05/2011 03:56:52] Skipped	Patch file (conditions): E:\Sacred 2\2.65.1 Commipatch\0100\locale\it_IT\global.res
[03/05/2011 03:56:53] Success	Backup file: E:\Games\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel\\locale\ru_RU\global.res -> C:\DOCUME~1\...
[03/05/2011 03:56:54] Success	Patch file: E:\Games\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel\\locale\ru_RU\global.res

By the way, the files are usually skipped if their version don't match the one that the patch looks for. Did you install any mod? If any other mod changed the translation files they'd be skipped by CM patcher.

Thanks for posting this Silver, now I know what it should look like.

I have no mods installed at all. The install order I posted earlier is also the only stuff that got installed. I really have no idea what went wrong. I'll try a complete uninstall and reinstall now and see if it works.

One last thing I can think of... between installing all the official stuff (including patches) and installing the CM, do you need to have run the game at least once? I think I immediately installed the CM after installing the Ice and Blood patch, and up to that point the game had never been run.

I don't think this is necassary. The cm-patch doesn't alter any of the binary files. The patch only manipulates data for the game, the program itself remains unchanged.

CU Marcus

Two hours and a gruelling reinstall later:

[03/04/2011 20:58:20] Success	Patch file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Deep Silver\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel\\locale\en_UK\global.res

Me is happy! :4rofl:

I followed EXACTLY the same install steps as last time... with one single difference: I kept the default path. On the previous install it went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel\ - notice the lack of a Deep Silver folder. I don't have the patience to go through the reinstallation procedure again (besides I don't dare touch this installation if it's working!), but I will test this again at some point and let you guys know if it makes a difference.

Thank you VERY much for your replies and suggestions. Now please excuse me while I go start some Dark Rituals :lol:

That's strange. As you can notice in the patchlog above, I have my game installed to 'E:\Games\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel\' - and there was no problem with it.

But anyway, it's good that the problem was solved and now all the texts would appear. But the log for Dark Rituals doesn't normally appear in the logbook in v100 anyway (the quest title is missing). The pictures of this log that are on the wiki were made with the test version 104, where this bug was already fixed. So you'd have to wait for v110 to see a proper log for this chain.

[03/04/2011 20:58:20] Success	Patch file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Deep Silver\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel\\locale\en_UK\global.res

Nice to know it worked all right in the end.

It is somewhat strange, that the launcher was able to see the en_UK values of the registry, while the patcher obviously read those too (there would habe been a waring about unsupported languages else) but forgot to store the value in the language session variable.

There is no need to run the patcher manually with admin rights (right-klick->run as admin), because it was set to demand it anyway. ;)

Since it got fixed by the reinstall I guess sth. was wrong, but I cannot tell what exactly. XD

But the log for Dark Rituals doesn't normally appear in the logbook in v100 anyway (the quest title is missing). The pictures of this log that are on the wiki were made with the test version 104, where this bug was already fixed. So you'd have to wait for v110 to see a proper log for this chain.

I can actually see all the log text now, even if the chain itself doesn't appear in the questlog (due to lack of name). By selecting the quest marker on the map, then going into the questlog, the text displays correctly. I can even tell when I've moved from one subquest into the next using this method :)

I must say doing Dark Rituals so late in the game feels very different from the way it was meant to be. Rather than having to wait a long time between each step while you get to the next act, I'm just jumping from one place to the other using the portals. I'll have to try the quest again on a future playthrough.

Since it got fixed by the reinstall I guess sth. was wrong, but I cannot tell what exactly. XD
Neither can I, but since it works I'm not going to complain!

I'm looking forward to v110, you guys have done a great job with the CM patch so far.

Nice to know it worked all right in the end.

It is somewhat strange, that the launcher was able to see the en_UK values of the registry, while the patcher obviously read those too (there would habe been a waring about unsupported languages else) but forgot to store the value in the language session variable.

There is no need to run the patcher manually with admin rights (right-klick->run as admin), because it was set to demand it anyway. ;)

Czevak will be ready when the new version of the patch ? :)

The spring release is up for grabs, folks! Link as always in first post and (after sorting out one little quirk with the upload) later also on the Darkmatters Downloads!

Have fun playing. :woot:

The spring release is up for grabs, folks! Link as always in first post and (after sorting out one little quirk with the upload) later also on the Darkmatters Downloads!

Have fun playing. :woot:

Great work here to everyone on the Dev Team. Congratulations, the fans rejoice!

:bounce:

gogo

Hey, just bought the game because of the CM patch, gj there you 2!

Afair I can also play online with the cm patch enabled, right? Is there an active community or is it hard to find people playing? :)

You can play Open Net with the CM patch but not Closed. There was some discussion here about switching to Open/CM, but I think most people opted to stick with Closed.