Minions not doing any damage?

Hello, Lurker guy here, lol..

Not really sure if this is a bug, or the result of some edit to the balance.txt, but here goes, I am playing a SW in v 2.31(can't get any higher version to run, no matter what I do, and I've tried everything that has been suggested here and a few things that aren't, eh?), anyways it seems that none of my skellies do ANY dammage at all, to anything. Up till now it hasn't really been a problem, but it is irratating. I use them mostly to hold the attention of the mobs while I concentrate on dusting the bosses, but sometimes that don't work, and then I get dusted, really NOT fun when you've got a good 50+ level Astral Lord in HC that you want to keep, eh? So, I would be thankful for any advice, has anyone else had this problem? I looked at all the posts here and saw nothing like this? Also, the edits to the balance.txt were all from the Balance.txt editing thread, so I don't se how that could be it, 'cause wouldn't someone have noticed this before? I am running windows 7 32 bit on my desktop, and 64 bit on my laptop, but the game is installed on an external drive that is shared by both. It is the same in 32 and 64, so thats not it, anyone got any ideas for me? thanx, randdaman

ps: attached is a copy if the balance.txt, if that will help?

balance.txt

Welcome to DarkMatters mister lurker randdaman!

I'm not a modder, but I'm hoping this bump will get your topic some more attention, and one of the modders that have put some time into this game will be able to offer some input.

Cheers!

:)

gogo

Welcome to DarkMatters mister lurker randdaman!

I'm not a modder, but I'm hoping this bump will get your topic some more attention, and one of the modders that have put some time into this game will be able to offer some input.

Cheers!

:)

gogo

TY,TYVM, gogo, any and all help gladly accepted, eh?

The only assistance I can offer is this: That is an early S2FA build. You might have more luck seeing if some of the really smart people here can help you get up to the latest patch. That might fix your problem.

The only assistance I can offer is this: That is an early S2FA build. You might have more luck seeing if some of the really smart people here can help you get up to the latest patch. That might fix your problem.

Yah.. It's a fairly early patch but it's not so bad. There are a few features missing from 2.31 - like single player Pause, the imp and the content from the Crystal and Blood Forest regions. On the other hand, Pretty much every quest you complete early on drops a UNIQUE item. Set items are a bit harder to come by, though. And of course, since it's pre-Ice and Blood, +All Skills and other similar modifiers haven't been nerfed as yet.

On the down side - there are a few bugs in the game. Took several tries to get past the big bosses. I have yet to get past the first miasma monster in the swamps - something I never had an issue with under Windows 7 (where I was able to install Ice and Blood).

FWIW, I'm having issues installing anything beyond 2.31 as well ATM. The patch checker for 2.34 (or 2.xx to 2.40) seems to choke saying there was a changed file in the installation.

@Randdaman - Is this the same sort of issue you're having?

hello, sorry for not checking in sooner, so many things to do, so little time, eh?

anyway, @lujate, thanks, kinda what I was hoping, eh?

@wolfie2kX, I'm running win 7, but the original install, waaaay back in '08 when I first got the game(US version) was under Vista sp1, and the first install of the UK/Int. version was in '10 under sp2. I never noticed the problem until I reinstalled it under win 7, and I have it set to run in Vista sp 2 compatabillity mode. also yes, the file checker says changed files, eventhough it is a clean install, after using the Sacred 2 cleaner AND manually removing anything else, except the save files which I saved to a flash drive and reloaded later.

I have at this point, tried every method recommended here and in the Int. forum, more times than I can count. I actually got it up to 2.43 once, but then when I tried to go to the next patch, no luck, so I stupidly uninstalled AGAIN, to start over, since then I can not get past 2.31...

@lujate #2, Yes, but I only moved the files to the external HD after I gave up on patching, the install, I.e. registry entries are still for the C: drive, so I don't think that's it, unless there is some effect to moving the game files I am not aware of, which is quite possible, as I make no claim to being anything more than a self taught amateur when it comes to computers and OSs, lol.

Edited by randdaman

You moved the files manually after the install? Frankly, I am shocked it still works at all. Many applications store paths in the Registry and/or config files and break if you move the application folder. If you had the patching problem before the move though, the move is unlikely to be the problem.

You moved the files manually after the install? Frankly, I am shocked it still works at all. Many applications store paths in the Registry and/or config files and break if you move the application folder. If you had the patching problem before the move though, the move is unlikely to be the problem.

yes, after, the trick is to change the permissions in the security tab ti give you FULL rights, and then delete the original shortcut and put a new one on the desktop pointing to the new location, but I recommend that you FIRST read everything you can find about permissions and how they work, BEFORE you try this :unsure: , if you make a mistake, you might never be able to access the program again to fix it! So, do this ONLY at your own risk, I am NOT telling you TO do this, just telling you what I have done, eh? ;) Also, one more thing that is very important is the "start in" line on your shortcut, it MUST point to the new location, or you got nothin, Know what I mean, Vern?

Edited by randdaman

Well, I never install any games on same partition as Windows. Eats too much space, especially nowadays...

Anyways, I'm not surprised that there seems to be some clicks. After changing the files to other hd registry settings don't simply match. And there are a few in Sacred 2.

I'd really recommend to unistall any and all things related to Sacred 2 and reinstall it from the scratch, you see, changing the shortcuts don't affect registry.

I remember during some of the install/reinstall hustle, I placed Sacred 2 incorrectly, and moved it, then altered all those registry entries and still had missing text in game...

So, moving game files isn't really recommended... Just from small personal experience. :P