Playing Softcore or Hardcore for Diablo 3?

24 members have voted

1. 1. HC or SC?

• Hardcore only
    • Softcore only
    • A little of both
    • SC only til I get the hang of it
    • HC til I get tired of dying in Inferno

After playing a bit in both HC and SC I have a few concerns about this. I want to play HC very badly and I miss the HC community from sacred more than I'd ever expect, but in D3 as it is now I find it hard to believe it will work very well. I really hope I am wrong but there are things about Diablo itself that makes it seem very difficult:

- Gameplay seems to be purely missions, there are no large areas to run around explore, level and upgrade

- missions get harder and harder, to the extreme

- cooldown on health potions

- auto attributes and all skills are changeable, revertible and UN-UPGRADEABLE, which means you cant have any specialization, no way to pump up defense or damage by upgrading skills and attributes.

The only way I got my toons high up in HC in sacred was by planning out the entire build and pump up a defense and attack, farming xp and gear in high end places etc.

The only way to change attributes is by gems, which you can upgrade up to 14(!) tiers! but then again, to die with a highly upgraded gem would be like losing all the gems you ever got.

you need 3 gems for every 1 gem of the higher tier, so all in all for a max gem:

3^14= 4782969

You need to find 4782969 of the lowest tier of that specific type of gem to get one max.

oh and a gems attribute changes depending on what piece of armor you put it on, which means you cant really pump up things by socketing either.

oh well, im probably just being overly pessimistic because I die plenty in nightmare.. the ways to get strong will probably reveal themselves soon, lol.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Died last night, I posted in the memorial thread for HC... just woke up now, five hours sleep... going in! Me and Schot are gonna blitz to level ten, he's gona power level me...

who's in!

:drunkards:

gogo

After playing a bit in both HC and SC I have a few concerns about this. I want to play HC very badly and I miss the HC community from sacred more than I'd ever expect, but in D3 as it is now I find it hard to believe it will work very well. I really hope I am wrong but there are things about Diablo itself that makes it seem very difficult:

- Gameplay seems to be purely missions, there are no large areas to run around explore, level and upgrade

- auto attributes and all skills are changeable, revertible and UN-UPGRADEABLE, which means you cant have any specialization, no way to pump up defense or damage by upgrading skills and attributes.

The only way I got my toons high up in HC in sacred was by planning out the entire build and pump up a defense and attack, farming xp and gear in high end places etc.

The only way to change attributes is by gems, which you can upgrade up to 14(!) tiers! but then again, to die with a highly upgraded gem would be like losing all the gems you ever got.

you need 3 gems for every 1 gem of the higher tier, so all in all for a max gem:

3^14= 4782969

You need to find 4782969 of the lowest tier of that specific type of gem to get one max.

oh and a gems attribute changes depending on what piece of armor you put it on, which means you cant really pump up things by socketing either.

oh well, im probably just being overly pessimistic because I die plenty in nightmare.. the ways to get strong will probably reveal themselves soon, lol.

Yes...but is it fun?

:devil:

gogo

3^14= 4782969

Yes...but is it fun?

:devil:

gogo

you got met, eu server down for a bit, starting my first hc toon in US now, had to get level 10 on a sc first again -.-

3^14= 4782969

The flaw in your calculation is that you won't upgrade gems 14 levels :P That's like trying to cube a Zod from El runes...

Better gems will be dropping, and the auction house makes then extremely easy to find. You can combine those :)

Oh, and I'll play primarily hardcore, and some softcore just because not all my friends play hardcore :cha (18):

Edited by Antitrust

It isn't. You can get 1000-1500 gold piles sometimes, but they aren't very common at all.

Though if you stacked gold find it would get higher, but considering your kill time would be slower, it sounds like a bad trade-off.

Edited by Shadout

I'm still on sc. With a few deaths and numerous close shaves, I think I'll be there for a while yet !

I definitely plan to move to hc eventually, but need to get competant first.

From what I have read, you would need to be off your rocker to want to play HC.

On a completely unrelated note, I have a ... friend ... who is off said rocker. How would this ... friend ... get into HC? :tongue:

At the character creation screen you should see an option for Hardcore. HC is only available after you get one character to lvl10 in Softcore

Well I've lost a couple Wizards so far but I'm hanging tight in HC for now. level 26 Wizard in HC. I sure hope Belial doesn't take him away from me. :sweating:

From what I have read, you would need to be off your rocker to want to play HC.

On a completely unrelated note, I have a ... friend ... who is off said rocker. How would this ... friend ... get into HC? :tongue:

As soon as your "friend" gets a softcore character to level 10, they will be free to make a new hardcore character. Good luck on that! :)

I knew there was something about level 10, but I kept looking for a way to convert the existing character. Never thought about starting a new one. Going to give it a go this weekend, not sure how long I will last though.

Lujate, I have a level 20 SC, and I'm playing around in low levels HC now, just got my latest level 21 in but he died yesterday. There is a very easy trick to HC,.,..

1-Level up in public servers, make sure you're with three others who are running this fast.

2- have a weapon saved from your past run, or, as I'm doing now, just immedietely go to auction house and buy the best weapon you can afford, only search for rares, you'll be shocked at how many weps there are for sale, and that SINGLE purchase will change your game.

3- Get the super weapon at around level 12 -15, from then on, it's easy till Butcher.

:)

gogo

Well I've lost a couple Wizards so far but I'm hanging tight in HC for now. level 26 Wizard in HC. I sure hope Belial doesn't take him away from me. :sweating:

Belial ate my level 27 wizard when I almost killed him :( I had about 2200 hitpoints.

I'll try to get more vitality next time...

Open now!

Try to set filters for rare first

set level for your own level then expand search by increasing it downwards in level

set for buy out (this means you get it instantly if available, it's delivered right away to your stash!)

:bounce:

gogo

I know the auction house was brought down by Blizzard to address some issues...mostly with gems...haven't checked to see if it's back up but the impression I got was it would be a day max.

Playing on softcore, as I did also in D2, even tho D3 seems really easy on normal. Just playing it first time thru "singleplayer" and then see if there's any point of playing it on hc. Level desing is really much like constant running on narrow paths and fighting, don't know if it would be even interesting at all whit more players than 2 or 3. But time will tell if the game gets better after many hours spent on it.