If you liked Sacred 2, then...

Hi all,

Long time. I was wondering what other games are out there that you guys recommend which are very similar to Sacred 2? I looked into Diablo 3 a bit, not sure if it is like Sacred 2 though. PC, PS3, or Xbox360. I don't like wasting my time with crap games... give me depth and a huge world to explore!

Hi all,

Long time. I was wondering what other games are out there that you guys recommend which are very similar to Sacred 2? I looked into Diablo 3 a bit, not sure if it is like Sacred 2 though. PC, PS3, or Xbox360. I don't like wasting my time with crap games... give me depth and a huge world to explore!

Hey Rhs!

As far as games that are like Sacred 2, you might find both Diablo III and Torchlight II to your liking, as they're in the same vein (isometric action/rpg) and both offer great story, gameplay and lots of loot. If you don't mind looking into some older games, the Diablo series (1 & 2) is the obvious place to start. The original Sacred, of course. Titan Quest, Dungeon Siege 1 & 2, as well as the Silverfall series are all decent action/rpg's. Some are a little more dated than others but they're all really good.

Also, if you can find them and you have the 20GB, 60GB, and the older 80GB models PS3's (the backwards compatible ones) you might try looking for the Baldurs gate and Everquest action/rpg's that came out for the ps2. They were really great. Baldurs Gate and Baldurs Gate II were put out by Black Isle studios, Champions of Norrath and Champions:Return to Arms were developed by Snowblind Studios. Well worth tracking down if you can find them.

First let me say that IMHO there are no other games like Sacred.

Console:

I have played both Baldur's Gate games on Xbox as well as both Champion's on PS2. They are the same genre as S2FA and are all good (particulary Champion's of Norrath). If you have the hardware to run them, they might be worth checking out.

PC:

Most of the Sacred players I know are looking at Diablo 3 and/or Guild Wars 2, with a smaller number for Path of Exile and Torchlight. Of those, my only experience is with Guild Wars 2. I found it really enjoyable, but it is not like Sacred.

For more reading, check out this thread: Simliar games to Sacred

If you want large sandbox games, Morrowind and Might and Magic 6 come to mind. For games that are Action/RPG, there are the games already mentioned. The original Diablo is another title to keep in mind, but I've heard of numerous problems getting it to run in Windows 7.

Hi all,

Also worth mentioning is Skyrim, if you like vast worlds to explore. Haven't played it yet, but have heard good things about it. I might be getting it to add to my collection of games some day in the not so far off future.

I remember years ago when we all started playing Sacred series. The persistant univers completely pulled us all in... noone had played anything that let us save toons, and this very idea completely made crazy addicts out of all of us for ..years? :4rofl:

The famous gift economy of the islands... all of this with an almost-feel of true value but with eveyrone helping each other out, specially with items in Sacred 2...

I agree with Lujate, there's nothing like Sacred series...it's a strange hybrid mix of sandbox and mmorpg...but at a fraction of the price. I believe now it's the reason why the company went broke :cry: ... too much vision (bless you ascaron) with not enough coding expertise and money to paint the last stroke on this masterpiece.

The Sandbox comes from what I believe to be Ascaron's vision of creating a game with almost unlimited builds with almost ALL of them being able to be powerful... absolutely compelling.

And as well as that... to create a kind of value from drop items against the almost polar concept of a sandbox game ... all of this at the same time.

I mean...HC only meant something to us because we could die and lose everything...and Ascaron balanced unique sandbox qualities into this making us all feel like the number of builds out there was immense. They were.

I'm not sure if other companies have gotten this right, but Sacred did.

I'm not sure of much else out there that can do this, but since Diablo is Sacred's progenitor and inspired as well as inspiring genesis, we may be on a grand track for the next few years with it.

:)

gogo

Currently playing the free Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/

Turn based, nice skill and spell system, hundreds comnbinations of race and class, ... Fits better to me as someone who tries to learn game maths than being a mouse acrobat. My new computer will be no game machine but one with a lots of slots to do some microcontroller studies. Our oldest visits university in summer and our 13 year old doesn't like online games. She prefers games played in LAN in youth club. With this unstable radio link I will stay away from games which need online access to be played :(

Thanks much for the responses and suggestions guys!

I did a bit of research online on the games you guys mentioned, I think I'm actually going to try the Champions of Norrath game for PS2, seems to be basically what I'm looking for.

I played Champions of Norrath with my brother on PS2 when it first came out. It's pretty good for a console RPG (well, ARPG I guess). Unfortunately, my brother is one of those people who thinks once you've played a story line through the one time, then that's it, so I don't know if it carries on with more fun into higher difficulties. I think it's probably best with two players, though.

Been playing Champions of Norrath for the past few days or so... it's ok. Certainly a good game for being PS2. Too often I find myself comparing it to Sacred 2 though, and not surprisingly it pales in comparison in every way, except maybe the voice acting (lol). I have watched a few live streams of Diablo 3 as well, and also compare it to Sacred 2. It does not impress me at all. I don't really like this stuff with "acts" either... I love in Sacred 2 how you can go way far ahead in the world (and in monster difficulty) basically from the very beginning if you want to. These other games feel so constrained.

I see myself starting another new Sacred 2 toon in the near future...

For me the only other game that got close was Titan Quest and it's expansion Immortal Throne. I spent many hundreds of hours playing that with friends and there are some great fan made mods for it now such as Underlord. Titan Quest is linear though so not exactly like Sacred but still one of the best arpg's out there.

You might also want to check out Grim Dawn which is being developed by a few guys that made Titan Quest but is more open world like Sacred.

Excellent post about S1 Gogo, we spent years playing that and the feeling of community it gave has never matched since.

Excellent post about S1 Gogo, we spent years playing that and the feeling of community it gave has never matched since.

And I have been asking myself why?

I have come to the conclusion that Sacred 1 was a milestone in computer game history.

Just as Diablo set the ground rules for single player arpg's, Sacred set the standard for online partying arpg's.

Those of us that were fortunate enough to be a part of Sacred 1 hang on to the wonderful game experience Sacred HC was.

But those days have long gone and we as a gaming community need to realise that.

The gaming world has changed a lot over the past 10 years.

I don't think any game produced today will be able to replicate the wonderment and enjoyment we all felt going online and playing on the HC servers that we did with Sacred in 2004.

If you can accept that then games like Diablo 3, that have their problems no doubt, can still be a great experience. Just have to let go of the past. ;)

I see myself starting another new Sacred 2 toon in the near future...

I had a PS3 blow up and I lost ALL my S2FA stuff.... I won't lie.... I nearly cried lol.

So, I made a couple o new toons, to start getting back some of the trophies I lost, and then settled down to the hard levelling of a Seraphim BFG and a Shadow Warrior in Dark campaign ( trophies for finishing both Light and Dark ).

Having never finished the campaign before,I went with the Seraphim first and fell in love with the game again. I always used to start new toons again when I hit the Marshes, but this time I carried on and was ashamed of myself that I didn't go through the game sooner ( have had Sacred 2 for PS3 since release ). I was surprised that the end Boss was as hard as it was, but having nearly 600 health potions to go at I was OK and got the campaign done in silver without getting killed once. Now for Gold with her, after I see if I can take my Malevolant Astral Lord through silver without having too much trouble, but at the moment I can't see how it will work out lol.

Point being ( and please excuse the ramble ), MAKE A NEW TOON! Better yet, sell off all your Hero Box contents and delete all previous toons. Take the plunge, I am SO gland I was forced to.

OH, and if you ever fancy a blast round, drop me a psn invite. PSN id - Sidewynda

I haven't played online with anyone before so not to sure how it'll work out, but at least multiplayer is still supported on PS3.

Happy Gaming all !

Edited by sidewynda

I'm about to start Sacred up again also! I have some unfinished business with my inquisitor (or a new inquisitor for that matter - taking your "new toon" advice to heart). But all I can say, is: don't get to comfortable in gold if you find the early areas totally manageable.... keep your cool, stay humble and keep your eye on the end goal (finishing niob without dying once!)

I wish one could start campaign in gold, 'cause that's really where the fun begins and the game only really comes to life if you're getting to plat.

-As was already mentioned, Grim Dawn certainly seems to be a game worth picking up, but unfortunately it isn't due for release until the latter half of 2013, if not later.

-IMO, Borderlands 2 looks like it'll be loads of fun, even if it isn't exactly a traditional isometric ARPG.

-Of course, there is Diablo 3, but after having put a fair amount of time into the game, all I wanted to do was to re-install Diablo 2: LoD. Still, I'll keep playing until I reach Inferno, as that difficulty is supposed to be ridiculously hard.

-Torchlight 2, also mentioned above, seems to have plenty of promise. I managed to play the beta for a few hours (got a beta key on the final day of testing, which left me about 4 hours to install and play), and I enjoyed the game, but from what I've read, there are balance issues when it comes to the playable classes; hopefully that gets ironed out somewhat over the first handful of patches.

-Finally, as others have advocated, Sacred 2 itself is certainly well worth revisiting. I recently started playing the game again, thanks to its broad variety of viable and strange builds, something that I really missed in a game like Diablo 3.

I don't know about comparing DiabloIII to Sacred 2. I actually "had" DiabloIII for the past 2 weeks, it is a mess, and honestly is not fun, it lacks what Sacred2 has, there is nothing in DiabloIII that yells at you you to come back and keep playing other than the fact you spent 60 bucks on it and you may as well get your money's worth out of it. Sacred2 has all sorts of fun things to do and it keeps you going back for more, and for a game that has been out longer than DiabloIII, I personally think Sacred2 looks better in many ways, plays extremely better too. I know , my first post turns out to be a stab on DiabloIII, I promise my nest posts won't be so silly. Happy to be here, and I will most likely be contributing with my texture work. :) I love Sacred2 and when I found this site I was thrilled, I have been finding cool things on here all the time. I guess to wind down my rambling, I will say that The Sacred games are in a league of their own and hold their own weight and always shine rather brightly. :D

I don't know about comparing DiabloIII to Sacred 2. I actually "had" DiabloIII for the past 2 weeks, it is a mess, and honestly is not fun, it lacks what Sacred2 has, there is nothing in DiabloIII that yells at you you to come back and keep playing other than the fact you spent 60 bucks on it and you may as well get your money's worth out of it. Sacred2 has all sorts of fun things to do and it keeps you going back for more, and for a game that has been out longer than DiabloIII, I personally think Sacred2 looks better in many ways, plays extremely better too. I know , my first post turns out to be a stab on DiabloIII, I promise my nest posts won't be so silly. Happy to be here, and I will most likely be contributing with my texture work. :) I love Sacred2 and when I found this site I was thrilled, I have been finding cool things on here all the time. I guess to wind down my rambling, I will say that The Sacred games are in a league of their own and hold their own weight and always shine rather brightly. :D

Here here, good first post! And yes, Sacred 2 > all!! People playing D3 don't know what they're missing!

Really, there's nothing like them.

The closest things (that are out now) would probably be Titan Quest or Divinity Series (Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga).

On a lower tier you would have Silverfall, Loki, or Legend: Hand of God.

Kivi's Underworld and Din's Curse are overlooked action RPG's on a somewhat lower budget. Similarly, Torchlight was ok but you're stuck in a dungeon the entire time.

Gothic series and Elder Scrolls series are AAA RPG's with big open worlds, but now we're straying pretty far from Sacred.

Edited by Flix

It might be an old one, but the only other hack and slash RPG I enjoyed as much as Sacred 2 was the first 'Dungeon Siege - Legends of Aranna'. Get past the dated visuals and you have a game that just oozes atmosphere and quality and fun. Man, I loved that game. I should start it up again.

Let me try find a screenshot. Ooh, and the music was brilliant!

ss-031.jpg

It might be an old one, but the only other hack and slash RPG I enjoyed as much as Sacred 2 was the first 'Dungeon Siege - Legends of Aranna'. Get past the dated visuals and you have a game that just oozes atmosphere and quality and fun. Man, I loved that game. I should start it up again.

Let me try find a screenshot. Ooh, and the music was brilliant!

ss-031.jpg

It was very good, and so was the sequel. I couldn't get them running right on Windows 7 though.

It was very good, and so was the sequel. I couldn't get them running right on Windows 7 though.

I'll be honest, I didn't like the sequel quite as much as the first, but it was still fantastic. I have Windows 7, so I guess there's no Dungeon Siege for me :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, long time forum troll here but I thought I had to chime in on this topic.

If you really want games in the same theme as Sacred 2 you should look for Titan Quest, Dungeon Seige and Hellgate London (you can still play HL with the Revival mod or you can play Hellgate World which is the re-released Japanese version). I have to jump on the bandwagon and say NO to Diablo 3. I've been playing it since launch and I'll tell it to you straight: the game was designed to make money. That's it. 12 years being developed and it's short, has no depth, no sense of achievement, has nothing to keep you wanting to come back for more. It's far inferior to the previous games. Not worth it at all, stay far away. Playing that has done nothing for me except make me want to play Sacred 2 and HL again.

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne is simply amazing. It follows the same basic trend as Diablo 2 and does it extremely well. The best thing about the game is the class system. You don't pick one, you pick two and they combine into a new class. The ability for user created worlds is even better. If I had to pick my favorite games of the type they would be TQ and Sacred 2.

I never played the original Dungeon Seige but I did play 2 and it was great. It's definitely dated now but very much worth the investment.

Hellgate London isn't isometric. It's actually a first or third person game but other than that, it plays just like the other aRPG's such as Diablo and Sacred. Tons and tons of loot, TONS of things to kill, and a good story to go with it. I still really love this game, probably because I'm a huge fan of that post-apocalyptic stuff.

• Like! 1
  • 1 year later...