Best free Defragger?

I just downloaded Smart Defrag from Cnet

It got five stars, they had loads of goodies to say about it, and it's free.

Is there other options for me to consider or is this fine?

:)

gogo

I guess you might also check Piriform's Defraggler. I've used that for whatever little use I've had as of late. Guess I ought to check if Windows' doing it all by itself, as there seems to be no fragged partititions ever. :P

There was also one other program but I can't to seem to remember which one it was... Guess I'd need some defraggin meself, if that was possible. :Just_Cuz_21:

oooh, piriform...don't they have Ccleaner as well? Watch out, I'm in a clean mode on my comp! :oooo:

And, that's interesting what you said about windows defragging itself... it seems like Win 7's supposed to do this automatically :blink:

You buy this?

Cuz if so, that could explain why my drives needed so little?

:unsure:

gogo

Gogo: Yep. That the have. And last but deffo not least, Recuva. Really nifty sometimes after those -faster-than-lightning- fingers doing shift-del- stuff. Has happened quite a lot for me, actually. :blush:

And what comes of the de-frag on Win7, one can schedul it to do it as one likes. I had it defaulted on wednesday night. Usefull, if you'll leave the comp at it's own devices, dling something off Steam or something.

Just set it up around 11pm friday. Guess that'll be more convenient time for me, as my comp's most likely up and running then, and I'm not on it, usually.

If you set builtin defrag on a time and it is not on, defrag may start at a time you can't need performance loss... Being at great machine in sacred 2?

Builtin defragger just counts defragmented files? If one file from a million is fragmentated it won't be deframentated? Bad if your 12 gig database has 10000 fragments and is the one. Real bad at a system crash and a special company has to try restoring the last changes. Here a special one- file defragger mhay do the trick as an addon to the builtin.

No special treatment for solid state discs by the builtin, too many unneeded writing?

Files blocked at boot time, ntfs meta files are not defragmentated by the builtin?

Sorting the free space into a large continous area, needed for the database example?

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that one important thing I do automatically and therefor forgot to mention:

If you use a windows repair disc/stick and place your defragger on this media you have a way better defragmentation rate. Even a defragger runs there is background activity. So the nice calculations a defragger does in advance - where to write the defragmentated files- is changed and some files may not be defragmentated because of this. Also the OS blocks some important files from writing and they won't be defragmentated. When starting from another boot media these files won't be blocked.

Before defragmentating from a rescue media you can also run a virus checker from the rescue media. So you can be sure that you won't have stealth viruses or affected system files already-

I just downloaded Smart Defrag from Cnet

It got five stars, they had loads of goodies to say about it, and it's free.

Is there other options for me to consider or is this fine?

:)

gogo

Thank you for this news gogo.

Downloading now. Hope this tool helps to clean up a fragged comp.

I remain, :bye:

What the heck is wrong with the defrag utility that comes free with windows? :unsure:

In all honesty defragging is grossly overrated.

You should only consider defragging if after an analysis it shows your drive is 5%+ defragged. Even then you will see no improvement in access speed. Only when your drive is 10-20% defragged will you possibly see an increase.

Defragging is a leftover from the old days when people needed 640kB and games came out on floppy's. Well maybe not quite that far ago but you get my drift.

Otherwise doing regular defrag only causes unnecessary wear on your hard drive and causes you a lot of downtime while you do it.

• 1 year later...