Consequences of dying in Diablo 3 Soft Core?

You lose 10% of the item durability on your equipped gear, a completely pointless death penalty if you ask me, but I guess what's work in WoW works in D3 :sigh:

So if you die five times...your armor gets useless in five times less time?

How does this work out

Spunky are you in HC or SC now?

:)

gogo

No idea, but the cost for repairs are so tiny that it's not much of a penalty as it's an annoyance, lazy design on that one methinks.

Still going SC.

I'm amazed that they have removed the XP hit that they had before. Maybe that'll change in one of thier patches/add-ons.

Thanks for asking Gogo, I had been wondering myself.

It struck me as a bit odd. The penalty for dying is that you pay a tiny fee to bring your equipment back up to full repair? Not much of a penalty, really. Especially as you get new equipment fairly rapidly as well.

During leveling repair cost is inconsequential. But in inferno the repair cost can become somewhat meaningful - especially for people who keep banging their heads against the wall in there. It probably wont ruin them, but it will make them earn gold a lot slower.

I would have preferred much more severe death penalties though.

Softcore is really good sandboxing, its not so intense for me at all, lol basically you just walk around the game and kill stuff :lol:. , the penalties are so slight. It has great use as a way to reseach for HC which is hugely thrilling for me right now. Because SC is so easy to make progress in, I just run an SC toon a few levels ahead of my HC to stay ahead of surprise content for now, and it's really doing me well. I get to play SC with friends and HC with friends as well.

gogo

I'm surprised they left out the XP penalty from D2 (and all so used in Titan Quest), just to make death in softcore a little more something you might want to avoid. Or that your equipment drops with the corpse of your previous incarnation (which was always a laugh, as the thing that killed you would probably still be dancing over your corpse when you got there!)

Has anyone allready died in nightmare, hell or inferno and seen what happens if you die? D2 on normal was the same as D3 is, you lose some money, big deal. On nightmare and hell you started to lose xp also.

Edited by Obsession

The main consequence of dying is really frustration :D

Truer words were never said ;) Whenever I die in sc it's a learning experience accompied with a flare of anger at either my own stupidity or the enemies :4rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

The main consequence of dying is really frustration :D

Truer words were never said ;) Whenever I die in sc it's a learning experience accompied with a flare of anger at either my own stupidity or the enemies :4rofl:

Just wanted to drop in and say a few words on this subject. Dmol & I are playing SC in Hell (and yes it's hellish). We're level 53 and die often in MP. You lose 10% of your equipment value with dying which isn't cheap... it's now over $800 per death to repair. But more important than dying, is playing MP at a huge disadvantage over SP.

Both of us can breeze through areas in SP (Field of Misery and Doom of Wortham), which become unplayable in MP. The addition of that extra 'string' monster and extra 'elemental dmg' added to their arsenal of weapons when you try and finish a quest can be insurmountable. It's something to think about when you play HC vs SC. Do you play SP or MP.

Purring, I think I know what you mean! (And btw, WOW, love seeing you here always here comes bear hug :hugs:) Schot says same thing...that if he's trying to be careful, he tries to go alone, but lately he's been needing other resources, and has been looking at group again for tough areas, cept it may take some pre-planning for group synergy? Could this be possible consideration for playing as team to increase viability?

For example, for my passives, as a Demon Hunter, I have an amazing increase in damage if a creature is slowed. if I find out someone else is using Slow Area of Effect, like Witch Doctor, I'll stop using Entangling, which I usually always use cuz it keeps me safe at trade off in hp...and switch to pure damage cuz I know my passive will synergize with my team mate's Area of Effect.

gogo

I feel much safer in a group (real group, not public game). In a group, you can get more effects going, and knock-backs and walls are not as bad in a group because they often do not affect the entire party. That way, you still have at least someone operating at 100%.

My highest character is only 31 though, so that might affect my opinion.