Is Diablo 3 as good you expected?

Hello to everyone,

Haven't been on this forum for a long time and just thought maybe I could pop in and see what people think about D3.

I think D3 is much better than expected. First few pictures and videos of the beta was awfull and I thought "not going to buy that game ever". Worst thing was the 3d view which I hated on Sacred 2 also and stopped playing after few hours. Good thing they fixed that and improved many things from those first looks.

After playing it more than 12 hours I find it still really good game and better than I expected. Really addictive, time flies when you just try to play few minutes and realize after hour or two you are still playing it. Graphics and sounds are great and I really like all the special effects. Everything explodes or atleast does some colorfull show of lights. Really cool stuff and hard to get bored whit it.

Even I find it well worth the price, it's not perfect. One of the worst features is if servers are down, you cannot play on singleplayer. Now that's madness and I fear they will change the game at some point so you need to play monthly fee for playing it.. and that's not for me. Also when you need to register the game in bnet, it's great for your security but how could you re-sale that game anymore if it's allready in your account? But those things are still something that aren't important at the moment. Mostly I fear few things that can ruin the game really fast.

I hate that every character you create is same as any other same character type in the game. There is no real builds in this game and it's kinda sad as I have allways found it to be the best part of diablo 2 (and sacred). There isn't anyway to think outside of the box when skills and attributes are everytime the same. Why bother making more than one of each character type, when they are identical. Only thing you can do is put a different weapon type in it's hand.

Other thing I find really good and bad at same time is auction house. I love it as finaly you can buy good gear for your toon and sell good drops for more gold. The bad part is it makes looting and giving stuff pretty pointless. I allready have found one legendary item and lot of rares, but even I find them usefull compared to the gear I'm using, I still know there is much better stuff on sale at the auction house for few thousand gold coins. Maybe that changes in higher difficulty levels and stuff starts to cost insanely much.

These two things is the reason why I fear this addictive feeling wont last very long. But everything is still pretty new in the game, so lets see how long it will keep its claws on me before it's time to move on.

So what's your opion? is it good as you expected? what is good about it and what's bad?

Very much agreeing on the free respeccing diminishing the feel of shaping your own character.

Not a fan of how auction house makes the focus on trading rather than finding the gear yourself, though I guess that is mostly a psychological issue, as I could just choose not to use the AH.

It is also impressive Blizzard didnt find some of the more imbalanced skill combinations before launch. Considering how much the game was delayed.

On the other hand, I'm enjoying the random events and map layouts. The story presentation was decent. The game-play itself is fun, and if they get it balanced allows for lots of tactical gameplay which is one thing I was really hoping for.

Edited by Shadout

Not a fan of how auction house makes the focus on trading rather than finding the gear yourself, though I guess that is mostly a psychological issue, as I could just choose not to use the AH.

I hear you there, I personally will never buy a single piece of gear as that would probably diminish or totally ruin the game for me, will my characters suck due to no buying? probably, but no matter as I'm only playing because I want to have some fun and satisfy my massive loot addiction :sun:

I hate that every character you create is same as any other same character type in the game. There is no real builds in this game and it's kinda sad as I have allways found it to be the best part of diablo 2 (and sacred). There isn't anyway to think outside of the box when skills and attributes are everytime the same. Why bother making more than one of each character type, when they are identical. Only thing you can do is put a different weapon type in it's hand.

This, this, and so much this. I love the game so far, it is much better than I expected and I am completely engrossed in the story and combat. However, not having these character builds make my character feel not as unique or important as the next barbarian or demon hunter. The other thing that makes me a little annoyed right now is the random spikes in difficulty that some enemies bring in either sheer numbers or just damage dealt. I feel that some patches for the balancing need to be applied. But other than that I have really enjoyed my time with the game :)

Welcome back Obsession :)

Your quote is 100% exactly how I feel about the game. The game is fun but I miss the builds!

In S1/2 the fun was making multiple toons just to try out crazy stuff and make it work, boy do I miss that in D3. I don't really feel like I've been on a journey with my toon in D3 cause I can respec him at any point or just farm some gold and buy way better items from the auction house than I'll get from drops. The game is great in 4 player teams but for me it wont have the longevity of Sacred in term of builds.

The hype stage has worn off quite quick. I should be gaming this time on a Friday night but instead I'm watching TV....

The cynic in me thinks back to D2. For me, D2 was a good game when it was released, but it became a great game when the expansion was released, which introduced a number of features that made the game so much better. There's part of me that thinks companies these days are already looking towards the expansion (ie holding things back) and that they hold things back for that. I don't think we'll see the proper build system that we want, but I'm sure the expansion will change the game in lots of subtle ways that'll make it even better.

I like the game but it frustrates me at times.

In act 3 mobs get ridiculously hard and frequent.

And this is only in normal difficulty.

I have died too many times to count. The fact that I have to remain online all the time really irkes me. Being in Australia we get lag issues. It has to be factored into every build.

I wish the game had an offline single player mode so I could experience the game as well as you guys are without lag issues.

But I still will continue playing. I like the style of game though as has been mentioned the builds seem to be very restrictive when compared to similar games.

Once I complete the campaign on my own I look forward to joining up in parties and doing it all again with others.

I like the game but it frustrates me at times.

In act 3 mobs get ridiculously hard and frequent.

And this is only in normal difficulty.

I have died too many times to count. The fact that I have to remain online all the time really irkes me. Being in Australia we get lag issues. It has to be factored into every build.

I wish the game had an offline single player mode so I could experience the game as well as you guys are without lag issues.

But I still will continue playing. I like the style of game though as has been mentioned the builds seem to be very restrictive when compared to similar games.

Once I complete the campaign on my own I look forward to joining up in parties and doing it all again with others.

Have to agree with Stubbie that Act III monsters are insane. There's no game plan here, just waves and waves of monsters. It's not fun and the only strategy or thought involved is just staying alive. On top of that, often when I enter the game, I'm totally surrounded by monsters so survival isn't possible. So much for HC. HC must require that your checkpoint is always at a home base with no chance of landing in the midst of a monster fest. Loved SC2 HC play but this game sabotages HC players.

Logging in in the middle of enemies is a serious disaster that needs to be fixed for sure, but I don't see the difficulty as a problem for HC, quite the contrary.

In Sacred 2 staying alive was so easy that HC felt mostly pointless. Since you would most likely not die no matter if you played it carefully or not.

Here you really have to go all out with your skill and gear election to have a small chance of staying alive. And a few mistakes will destroy you even with all that careful planning. Now on Inferno playing HC is probably a sign of insanity right now, and that will require some balance patches, but up until that point, it seems like playing HC could be a much more rewarding experience than it was in Sacred 2.

Lag issues wont work with HC either though, and it is hard to fathom why Blizzard haven't placed servers in Australia and similar places to alleviate lag for more customers. As far as I know, half the world is playing on US based servers :S

Lag seems to be a general issue right now though. Im playing in western Europe on western Europe servers and still got 200+ MS most of the time which is kinda bad (and even then, much better than you can ever hope for in Australia I guess).

Also, act 3 enemies in normal being challenging is 100% a gear issue as I see it. If you prepare for them in HC they shouldn't be able to result in a death.

Edited by Shadout

Over all I love the game but a few things irk me

1) No skill tree

2) No attribute points to distribute as I want. (all automatic)

3) The inability to find gear at my level from drops (looks like I'll have to use AH in higher difficulties)

4) Timers that continue to run during cinematics/cut scenes. A big prob for Barb with his Fury

5) Set items only being level 60

I definitely agree with 1 and 2 there knuckles. I wonder if they got rid of the gamble feature from D2 to push people towards the auction house? That was the only real money sink later on (that and, in my case, resurrecting my companion after nearly every boss fight).

The crafting system essentially is the gambling system - for better or worse as it currently is a nearly useless money sink at higher levels.

You really can craft the very best items in the game - but like gambling in D2, the amount of gold it would cost you would be mind-blowing.

You actually can get set items at lower lvls, they just seem to be insanely rare (and they still are at high level). Probably not much doubt that legendary and set items is something Blizzard has a lot of work to do on as they are currently close to pointless.

Btw, about finding drops as "your level", that probably is a misconception in a way. You likely are finding drops meant for your level, but the level requirement for the items are generally much lower than what level the item is meant for (except for level 60 items). This was very obvious back in Diablo 2, where no item had a higher level req than 70-80 or so, but it is kinda the same here. Drops meant for higher levels will require much lower levels to wear, meaning you can seriously twink your next characters (this is specially true with gems which have no level requirements).

The only exception here seems to be crafted items, which have a relatively high item requirement, probably in accordance to the level they were meant for. Probably to ensure that dropped items still have some benefits over crafted items while you level up.

Edited by Shadout

So far the game is better than I had been expecting.

I think the DH is a fantastic class, though I'm a bit worried now after reading some of your comments on act 3. I just finished act 2 last night............ :unsure:

I have now created a toon on the American server, as the EU one is so unreliable. One night, I got kicked off with an error of "problem trying to create a party" when I was playing solo and hadn't even chated with anyone ! Groovy !

So, so far happy, but if I get a right kicking in act 3 then I may come running back with my tail between my legs, haha ! ;)

Steve. :)

Hi.

Just thought I'd come back and give my take on act 3 as I finished it last night :-

Well, you were not joking about the amount of mobs, but I actually enjoyed that. It certainly kept me on my toes and tested my skills, but it was fun. I also thought that whilst there were many of them, they were less of a threat than act 2 mobs, imho. I had a lot of trouble in some areas of act 2, especially with jumpers and poison users and I died numerous times.

I managed to go through act 3 unscathed ! I found that now my DH has gained some lvls, that her skills are fantastic for containing large groups of mobs. With her traps, bombs/mines, stuns, and the arrow that splits and hits multi mobs you can really gain the upper hand.

I don't know what class you guys took to act 3, but give the DH a go and you'll have a blast !

Caltrops, spike trap, hungering arrow with shatter shot, and so many other cool skills.

Act 4 here I come. :D

When I've done act 4 for the first time, I'm going to try some other classes, and then try to take on hc............*gulp* !

Bye for now,

Steve. :)