Guild Wars 2 - Beta Weekend June 8-10

Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't been much on sharing my BWE2 experience.

As some of you know my PC blue screened the first night and I couldn't even boot it to troubleshoot.

So far I have swapped out the memory and the motherboard... nope neither worked, in fact its doesn't even turn on now =(.

Have a new CPU on the way, hopefully that will work.. keep your fingers crossed for me.

Thank goodness I was able to play at least some of the BWE on my laptop.

Ill post about my experiences with the controls under the appropriate post.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't been much on sharing my BWE2 experience.

As some of you know my PC blue screened the first night and I couldn't even boot it to troubleshoot.

So far I have swapped out the memory and the motherboard... nope neither worked, in fact its doesn't even turn on now =(.

Have a new CPU on the way, hopefully that will work.. keep your fingers crossed for me.

Ill post about my experiences with the controls under the appropriate post.

Good luck on getting everything up and running. I know how dishearting it can be to lose your system at exactly the wrong time. :sick:

Thanks Wygram.... OMG I just saw the tagline in your post. I still play HGL, not the online version =) can't exactly tell ya why but I love love love that game. Tried the online version and ehh its ok, but no where near as much as HGL.

Sad story that happens to you at a very wrong time, like Wygram said. I'm more than happy that you've still been able to play with us, we had a great time as usual.

I hope the new CPU is the solution to your problem, keep us updated!

Max

Thanks Wygram.... OMG I just saw the tagline in your post. I still play HGL, not the online version =) can't exactly tell ya why but I love love love that game. Tried the online version and ehh its ok, but no where near as much as HGL.

Have you tried playing it with the mods from http://www.hellgateaus.net/forum/hellgate-london-modification-downloads/ ?

Minor pain to download and patch (make sure you follow the instructions). Some nice modification can make it very interesting.

Have fun.

World vs World

I can say that I had absolutely no interest in PvP until I heard about World vs World (WvW). The idea of three servers in a battle royal complete with castles and siege engines was something I just had to try. Upon release, three servers will be matched up based on past performance and will face off in a two week bout. Matching on server performance is supposed to help balance the bouts. Getting steamrolled is no fun and completely obliterating the opposition gets boring real fast. The objective of these matches is to score the most points by taking and holding objectives such as keeps, towers and supply camps.

Unfortunately, the balance is not there yet. The speculation is that with the new servers they added, ArenaNet simply lumped all the servers (new and old) together randomly. They tried to compensate for this by having one day bouts, but it was of limited success. Except for one brief period, the times I played WvW on Friday and Saturday our server held every objective across all four maps. Tactics and strategy had not developed yet, and I saw only one siege engine (a ram).

At one point an opposing army managed to take a keep and a supply camp. By the time we arrived at the keep, except for a few stranglers, the enemy was gone, and the keep was defended by enemy NPC's.

I had more important things to do on Sunday, so I did not make it back into WvW, but I guess the match-up was not quite so one-sided. Here is a pic of the scoreboard at one point.

2rclrvl.jpg

Overall, at this point I feel that WvW is more potential than actual, but if it matures like I expect, I can see myself spending the occasional night in WvW.

I'll keep your opinion of WvW in my mind, I'm happy to know you had a relatively good time with that game mode.

I found a map of Tyria that shows all what we could find in the BWE (waypoints, hearts, skill challenges, points of interest) :

CLICK HERE

Max

In BWE1, people complained the Dynamic Events (DE) were virtually impossible for melee. I did not do melee in BWE1, so I cannot say how much it changed, but in BWE2 I found most DE's to be doable. The Wasp Queen was the one exception. I do not think she has an Area of Effect, I think she just moves so fast you cannot avoid her attacks. The one time my greatsword Guardian survived the fight, I had to frequently retreat and wait for my heal to recharge before I could reenter the fight. That was possible since there were enough other (ranged) players to occupy her. In this video, you will see the Wasp Queen leave downed melee fighthers in her wake.

Lujate, interesting info on the WvW, I just might give it a try next beta. I generally don't like PvP but this sounds interesting. Maybe we can all do it together. So much more fun playing together.

Max...Thanks for the Map, we didn't cover hardly any of the available areas did we. :P Oh well, I like the idea that there will still be lots of new stuff to discover when its released and I have been happy to hang out in the starter areas.

Lujate, that Wasp Queen fight was almost as good to look at as it was to be in the fight. First time I ever paid that much attention to how my Engineer (Climbs Quickly) was doing - too busy staying alive.

Edited by Wygram

Lujate, interesting info on the WvW, I just might give it a try next beta. I generally don't like PvP but this sounds interesting. Maybe we can all do it together. So much more fun playing together.

I did not mention it before because I thought no one else was interested. Like all things GW2, I am sure it is much, much, much better with friends.

Lujate, that Wasp Queen fight was almost as good to look at as it was to be in the fight. First time I ever paid that much attention to how my Engineer (Climbs Quickly) was doing - too busy staying alive.

I took a lot of footage last BWE. I must confess that as I have been going through it (no I am not done yet) I have been analyzing what I did and finding mistakes.

In this tiny little video, you will see Kiyeri's charr "cut down the largest tree with... a herring!" No wait, she used a sickle, but still not the tool you would normally use.

In this video, we demonstrate a couple of environment weapons. The first is an Ascalonian Hammer. It proved much too slow for me, and it crimped my style. The second is an Ascalonian Wine Bottle, which seems that it might come in handy. We used them on a couple of ghosts that we would have steamrolled anyways, but I think the bottles have potential.

No, she is not crying over the pig she just killed. My guardian is stuck. This is a bug I encountered with the greatsword skill, Symbol of Wrath.

You made some great videos during the BWE, I miss GW2 a lot right now. Can't wait to play again (and more than 3 hours, hopefully).

Max

You made some great videos during the BWE, I miss GW2 a lot right now. Can't wait to play again (and more than 3 hours, hopefully).

Max

I am glad you like the vids, cause I really enjoy doing them. I look at GW2 now like a dry/rainy season climate. The BWE are the monsoons, followed by a long dry spell (complete with crazy predictions of more rain). The videos allow me to store up a little water to get through until the next monsoon.

The two video bummers this BWE were:

1. Real life cut into the group time, and videos of myself are not a lot of fun.
  2. I relapsed into my melee roots, so FDM got less camera exposure as compared to BWE1.

I hope you really get in on the next BWE. I have been lucky (knock on wood). Last minute work issues took about 8 hours of BWE1, but other than that I have gotten an unfair amount of play time. I was afraid I was going to miss BWE2 due to being out of town, but they held it the next weekend. I am now eyeing 20-22 July for BWE3, which is another weekend I am out of town. If my good GW2 luck holds, they will have it the week before.

I came across this BWE2 video this morning. It is about the Font of Rhand, a level 20-ish mini-dungeon in the Charr zone. It is at the end of a chain Dynamic Event, and (Kiyeri this is for you) it is mostly underwater. I stopped it part way through because the guy is giving how everything is done.

Love the underwater, idk why teehee but its so fun.

Ossum vids, thanks so much for all your hard work getting them to us.

Soooo can wait to get my fix, hope I can at least log on for a bit next BE.