Powerline networking

Llama8

Has anyone had any experience with powerline networking? Our BT Home Hub's a bit iffy (we've got 2, one occassionally looses the hub phone & you need to re-sync it & if you dial the landline number it crashes the hub :D, the other one intermitantly chuck's the wife's laptop off the wireless network) & I was wondering whether what people's experiences with powerline networking were.

I'm not sure about info on this Llama, but I haven't seen you in a while, wanted to give you a hug

:hugs:

Hope someone here has info for you and hoping yer in diablo 3?

xmastree.gif

gogo

I'm not sure about info on this Llama, but I haven't seen you in a while, wanted to give you a hug

:hugs:

Hope someone here has info for you and hoping yer in diablo 3?

:) Thanks Gogo, I do pop in from time to time (& I can be PM'd ;)). I'm playing D3, but mostly Star Wars the Old Republic (even though it's a subscription game).

Just reading some of the discussions/reviews, one question is how much electric usage you have in your house. It's unclear but more than one place comments that performance can be impacted by 1) electic usage throughout the house (not sure if it matters whether on the same or different circuits) and 2) noise from the overall grid outside the house (think summer and every house using fans and AC). Of course if you're not doing something high bandwidth, like streaming video from a PC to a TV, then as long as your data rate is higher than your modem rate, I don't know why you'd notice or care. (For instance, I talked myself out of gigabit networking because my DSL is such a tiny fraction of that speed.)

I think it's an interesting technology. I'd certainly try it in a house that has issues w/ wifi. The cost of a powerline startup kit is less than having an electrician install one single point-to-point data line.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4695/handson-powerline-networking-how-well-or-not-are-latestgeneration-devices-working/3

Edited by masteff