Help, advice, input - At wits end

Kiyeri

Last weekend while playing the GW2 BWE, my beloved gaming PC experienced the BSOD :explode:

I have been posting updates in the GW forum, but was hoping some of you that don't read that might be able to come up with some ideas that might help.

So yea...here is an update on my PC.

Wednesday when trying to boot it BSOD'd every time before getting to windows. System kept rebooting itself over and over. When the you got the BSOD it immediately rebooted itself, despite numerous attempts to shut auto reboot off. Additionally you could not boot to safe mode unless you removed the power cord during boot up, then you would get the advance option to repair start-up and then you could get to safe-mode. When attempting to boot to safe mode you maybe got there 1 out of every 10-20 tries. Once in Safe-mode, if you tried anything at all you got BSOD'd.

Thursday we replaced the 3 memory sticks and the motherboard... still blue screens before it gets to windows, says critical hardware failure and gives error code 0000124. Then we re-sat the processor and hmmm.... it stopped booting at all. In fact now it just starts up and shuts down all by its self over and over and over. Soooo....

Today replaced the Motherboard and 3 memory sticks NEW AGAIN, processor, Thermal cooling system, and power supply. Of coarse checking with each new item installed...Still wont boot. Power turns on and fans start up but that it, nothing happens. And to top it off to shut it down you have to unplug it. Very strange, have everyone here stumped.

Also on all three motherboards, when you remove the memory and try to boot it doesn't beeps like it should signaling an error upon boot... yea it doesn't even do that.

Only thing that we haven't tried is swapping out the graphics cards, soooo... Have ordered new graphics cards (dual /sigh) and another motherboard, since its always possible things arrive BOA. If this doesn't fix it.... I have no clue where to go or what to try next. Its so frustrating when you cant boot to windows to troubleshoot.

If anyone has any suggestions Id be ever so grateful for them.

*hugs*

Kiy

PS.. thank gawd for insurance on this thing, and ppl laughed at me when for purchasing it :P

Is there anyway you can boot off a windows disk and try a re-install?

Are there any beeps or flashing lights on the motherboard at all when you boot? The last PC I built had something like that and gave a corresponding error in the manual for different sequences of lights.

And finally, with only CPU, RAM and graphics card attached to the motherboard will it power on self test (POST)? As in will it give you a bios screen when you turn it on?

Have you attempted to boot from your windows dvd/cd? I googled your error code and got the following.

What can cause Error Code 0000124 error code?

Typically, the Error Code 0000124 error is usually as a result of Windows system data file corruption. Corrupted system data files can be a real risk to the overall health of any laptop or computer.

There are lots of situations which may cause system file errors. A partial install, an incomplete file deletion, improper deletion of utilities or computer hardware. It can also be caused when a computer system is contaminated with a virus or adware or spyware attack or by an improper shutdown of the personal computer. Any one of the previously mentioned activities can result in the deletion or data corruption of Windows system files. A corrupted system file will cause absent or wrongly linked documents and data files required for the correct working of the software.

The best ways to quickly correct Error Code 0000124 error message?

There’s two main options to fix Error Code 0000124 error:

Expert User Method (manual):

1) Switch on the laptop or desktop and login as an admin.

2) Click the Get started button then select All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and after that click on Restore.

3) From the next screen, click on “Restore my system to a prior time” and then click Next.

4) Select the most up-to-date system restore date within the “click a restore date” list, and then click Next.

5) Then click the Next button in the verification window.

6) Restart the machine after the rescue has finished.

Beginner Computer User Resolution (totally automated):

1) Download and save the (Error Code 0000124) repair application.

2) Install software program and just click Scan button.

3) Just click on the Repair Errors button in the software as soon as the diagnostic scan is successfully completed.

4) Reboot the pc.

Hopefully this stuff will work. Good Luck.

yep been there done that on all accounts... wont boot from disk and wont allow a reinstall of windows

Unfortunately the very first bsod immediately rebooted itself again and again, until I unplugged it to stop it. The power button wouldn't work and still does not work.

3 motherboards now and not one give a beep or a flash even when you do something that you kno should produce that result.

Cant access anything, it doesn't get that far, therefore cannot log on as admin either.

Tech support doesn't believe its a windows issue since we cant even reinstall windows.

BSOD reports it as a "Critical Hardware Error". The only way to get to SafeMode was on the rare occassion the advanced page came up asking if you wanted to try to repair the system, if you chose to do so you could get to safe mode, but then it immediately BSOD again. And that only happened a handful of times.

Atm the only thing that happens when you turn it on is the fans start and the vents at the top go up and down. In order to turn it off you have to physically unplug it.

This even has the Level 5 tech Support guys stumped.

So its obviously hardware...but you've tried replacing every piece of hardware? Except the graphics card? Maybe thats the problem. Do you have a working comp you can test the assorted peripherals in to try and narrow things down?

If I was at this point I would consider using the 12 gauge on it, all 7 rounds. Followed by a mercy clip of .45 Hollow Points from the 1911.

Sorry sometimes I get a little carried away. :guns:

PC hardware is my weakest subject. The only advice I can give is to remove all components that are not absolutely necessary (e.g. more than one stick of RAM, graphics card). Beyond that, all I can offer is sympathy. :(

Does your mobo have any internal gfx? Could you run off that or swap out the gfx card? If it still does it, then the only thing left is the power supply. If one of the rails is unstable or low it can cause some weird stuff to happen

If else fails Wygram's suggestion is a good one. Hollow points ftw.

I've seen no mention of going into BIOS and loading defaults. You've changed quite a bit of hardware, so using BIOS default settings may let you get to Safe Mode.

yep been there done that on all accounts... wont boot from disk and wont allow a reinstall of windows

Unfortunately the very first bsod immediately rebooted itself again and again, until I unplugged it to stop it. The power button wouldn't work and still does not work.

3 motherboards now and not one give a beep or a flash even when you do something that you kno should produce that result.

Cant access anything, it doesn't get that far, therefore cannot log on as admin either.

Tech support doesn't believe its a windows issue since we cant even reinstall windows.

BSOD reports it as a "Critical Hardware Error". The only way to get to SafeMode was on the rare occassion the advanced page came up asking if you wanted to try to repair the system, if you chose to do so you could get to safe mode, but then it immediately BSOD again. And that only happened a handful of times.

Atm the only thing that happens when you turn it on is the fans start and the vents at the top go up and down. In order to turn it off you have to physically unplug it.

This even has the Level 5 tech Support guys stumped.

OK.. So far... We've had BSODs, mass quantities of hardware replacement and it still doesn't seem to want to work properly..

3 motherboards - presumably with 3 different sets of RAM and CPU chips. I find it very, very hard to believe that you're going to have THREE motherboards that are borked* - especially if they were supposed to be brand new. It's possible... Especially if you got them from some less than honest source. But overall - it doesn't sound reasonable.

If your graphics card bit the farm, it's not likely to be the cause either. Obviously, you're getting SOMETHING on the screen when you do manage to get it to boot. if your GFX

card(s) were likely the cause - then likely you won't be seeing anything on the screen - period. Full stop.

The power switch - assuming you've got it correctly plugged into the correct pins on the motherboard. That should work - but you may have to hold the button in for 4 - 5 seconds. It depends on the setting in the BIOS. There are usually two settings - one is an Instant Off and one requires a 4 second delay. Useful in cases where your power button on the case sticks out like a sore thumb and the box is susceptible to being bumped into or kicked.

But I've got my suspicions that the real problem may lie in THE one component you haven't mentioned - yet. The POWER SUPPLY.

Computers require relatively clean, steady and consistent voltage at various points in order for it to work properly. If it's too high - or not high enough, the motherboard will not fire up properly. If you've got a spare PSU laying around, you might try swapping it out and trying it again.

Power Supplies - especially cheap ones - don't seem to last very long. I've found it best to spend an extra few bucks on a good quality one that doesn't suck rotten eggs and not have to worry about it for a long time. You may also want to invest in one that has a switch on the back of the unit - saves you from having to yank the power cord when you need to turn things off.

*borked - Verb - the state of being hosed, trashed, FUBAR, or otherwise not in proper working order.

Edited by wolfie2kX

Thanks for all the input.

I have new Graphics cards on the way,should be here Monday.

Can't access the bios, can even get that far >< or I would. On one of the rare occasions I did get in I tried to set everything to default, but now its impossible to tell if it stayed that way.

I appreciate the info on the power supply, I had one here to swap out, but everyone told me it couldn't be that since it was obviously getting power. But after reading your input Wolfie... I'm not so sure that isn't the problem. Since I have a very good power supply and still have to unplug it to get it completely shut down... neither the button on the front of the computer OR the switch on the back turns it fully off.... makes me wonder. If the graphics cards don't fix the issue I'm gonna make them send the power supply again.

<3 ya all for your thoughts, thanks very much.

Ill keep ya updated.

Kiy

Thanks for all the input.

I have new Graphics cards on the way,should be here Monday.

Can't access the bios, can even get that far >< or I would. On one of the rare occasions I did get in I tried to set everything to default, but now its impossible to tell if it stayed that way.

I appreciate the info on the power supply, I had one here to swap out, but everyone told me it couldn't be that since it was obviously getting power. But after reading your input Wolfie... I'm not so sure that isn't the problem. Since I have a very good power supply and still have to unplug it to get it completely shut down... neither the button on the front of the computer OR the switch on the back turns it fully off.... makes me wonder. If the graphics cards don't fix the issue I'm gonna make them send the power supply again.

<3 ya all for your thoughts, thanks very much.

Ill keep ya updated.

Kiy

Wait a sec.. There's a switch on the back of the power supply - a rocker switch? And it doesn't turn the power off? That does NOT sound right. Every PSU I've ever dealt with that has a switch in the back - when the rocker switch is flipped to the OFF position, ALL power gets cut to the system.

There may yet be something fishy going on if the power doesn't turn immediately off when the back switch is move to the OFF position.

Do you have the brand/specs on the PSU you've got?

Ok, changed power supply and gfx cards... still fried. Didn't try the new CPU they sent, since they AGAIN sent the wrong one. how hard is it to send the exact part you as for?

When you power it up the fans start but that's it,and the button now works to shut it off.

Put a call into Alienware and they said they would just replace it with a refurbished system... I told them that was unacceptable... So I am now awaiting word (24-48 hrs) on replacement with a brand new system.

Where oh where is the Alienware of old... yes I kno Dell bought them, but /sigh

Well, gotta say, this case gets me quite confused too, and I've seen quite a lot of faulty comps... I would've suggested new PSU too, as I had quite similar issues, BSODs, shaky behaviour and such, even a broken HD, all because of fried PSU...

Also, that rocker switch befuddles me; as it usually should cut of all power from the system.

Oh, and the beeping, some BIOSes allow user to set it off. Have done that myself, whenever possible, gets on my nerves. And just occured to me, have you tried taking the battery of BIOS off? Usually that should return the defaults, if anything. Though it could need setting a jumper differently to do so. Those should be found on the motherboard manual, if you have them available.

Dunno if any of my ramblings help, as this really is one weird case...

Thanks for the input Stormwing, yea has everyone perplexed.. it simply just doesn't make sense. And the more we tried to troubleshoot it and fix it the worse it got.. now its simply a very very expensive paperweight.

The good news is that it does shut down now with the new Power Supply... but unfortunately that does nothing about it not booting.

I'm leaning towards Wygram's suggestion... thinking about calling my brother and have him :bomb: it.

P.S. can ya tell I'm lost without being able to game... lol I'm filling my time reading all the posts I have never read before and have posted 10x more then ever in the last week (so much for my lurker status)

Edited by Kiyeri

This is one of the problems with a pre assembled proprietary system. You are totally tied to their parts and support systems. I have never had any luck using a proprietary system. They all seem to go to heck on me. Dell has hosed me on my youngest son's system after 25 different calls to service and support they asked him to but another year of protection even when after a year they never got his to work for more than a week at a time. On my own I bought a Sony and it was a POS from day one.

I have been using system integrators using off the shelf components. I have had good luck with ibuypower.com but your mileage may vary.

Ok, changed power supply and gfx cards... still fried. Didn't try the new CPU they sent, since they AGAIN sent the wrong one. how hard is it to send the exact part you as for?

When you power it up the fans start but that's it,and the button now works to shut it off.

Put a call into Alienware and they said they would just replace it with a refurbished system... I told them that was unacceptable... So I am now awaiting word (24-48 hrs) on replacement with a brand new system.

Where oh where is the Alienware of old... yes I kno Dell bought them, but /sigh

OK.. So the power supply should now be good to go. This is a start. OK.. Not much of a start, but hey it's something.

As far as sending parts out - that depends on availability. As long as the chip is in the same family tree as the one being replaced, you could, I suppose give it a shot to see if the thing works or not. But on the other hand, if they're replacing the unit with a new one - might as well just sit back and wait.

How old is the boat anchor system?

This is one of the problems with a pre assembled proprietary system. You are totally tied to their parts and support systems. I have never had any luck using a proprietary system. They all seem to go to heck on me. Dell has hosed me on my youngest son's system after 25 different calls to service and support they asked him to but another year of protection even when after a year they never got his to work for more than a week at a time. On my own I bought a Sony and it was a POS from day one.

I have been using system integrators using off the shelf components. I have had good luck with ibuypower.com but your mileage may vary.

Yah know... I've had a lot of good luck with Dell boxes. Er.. Rather my clients have. I roll my own... But I had a client once who bought a Dell 2nd hand, the OS was trashed and it needed a reinstall. I called Dell to ask them what OS was originally installed on the box - and before I was done, the Dell tech sent the client a brand spankin' new copy of the restore disks for Windows XP Home (which was what the box came with). Free of charge. Mind you, the system was seriously out of warranty by a couple of years.

HP on the other hand, wanted $30 + 10 shipping for pretty much the same set of disks for my laptop.

Sony is simply insane with the way they configure their systems. OK.. I understand partitioning and making an OS partition and a data partition. But really.. If you're gonna do that, at least have the brains to finish setting it up so that your Documents and other files actually do wind up on the big monster data partition instead of the dinky partition they set aside for the OS... Pretty half-arsed if you ask me..

Sony also wants a small fortune for their replacement CD set.

Lenovo at least includes software for making and burning recovery DVDs with their systems. Not the most intuitive, but it does work once you get things sorted out. And they don't do multiple partitions - your boot drive is one big happy partition.

Wolfie... What the heck is a boat anchor system? never heard of it.

very long story made short and simple, this machine is less then a year old, it was a replacement for the last system I got that was totally unstable and after 2 years of trying they gave up trying (after many a pho-pa on their end)... it was an original Alienware system built right at the end before Dell bought them out and under warranty so Dell replaced it with a system of my choice. The new system has worked perfectly and I loved it... until the Friday of the GW2 BWE.... BSOD and here we are.

I'm sitting back waiting to hear from them still... my guess is they really don't want to replace the system a second time around. But as far as I'm concerned Warranty is Warranty.. they don't really have a choice do they?

Typically when something that is fairly heavy and large stops working like a TV or PC, you might hear someone say "Well you can still use it as a boat anchor". Typically it just means whatever it was no longer has any use/value.

If it's a little smaller you might hear " well you can still use it as a paperweight"

Wolfie... What the heck is a boat anchor system? never heard of it.

very long story made short and simple, this machine is less then a year old, it was a replacement for the last system I got that was totally unstable and after 2 years of trying they gave up trying (after many a pho-pa on their end)... it was an original Alienware system built right at the end before Dell bought them out and under warranty so Dell replaced it with a system of my choice. The new system has worked perfectly and I loved it... until the Friday of the GW2 BWE.... BSOD and here we are.

I'm sitting back waiting to hear from them still... my guess is they really don't want to replace the system a second time around. But as far as I'm concerned Warranty is Warranty.. they don't really have a choice do they?

Well... A boat anchor is only useful when and where you need one - on a boat. Having it sitting on your desk - makes it kinda useless. Also known as a glorified paperweight. :D Given that many PC type systems years ago were quite heavy - solid steel construction instead of lightweight aluminum and plastic, well.. you get the idea...

Btw.. It's spelled Faux Pas - a huge social blunder. It's also French. Just for future reference. Pho - it's a Vietnamese soup. Good stuff. Damn.. Getting hungry here for a big bowl of it.

Now then.. You're probably right. They are likely not wanting to replace the system a 2nd time. It's expensive. First off, you're not buying another system from them now, but by putting a brand new box in your hands now - they're likely delaying that next purchase (hopefully) by a couple of years.

On the other hand, by replacing the system for you now, that does buy good will. And that's important as well. If you go online and start bad-mouthing Alienware and/or Dell, that can do damage to their brand image. Doubt they want that either.

So it's a toss-up as to what they will do. A factory refurb system may not be so bad - as long as it's equal to the system you have now - AND they continue to honor the existing warranty or extend it even. Otherwise.. Not so much.

Good luck with that..

If it is still under warranty, I say hold them to it. I do not think the fact they already replaced it once should affect your warranty.