An act in an hour?

So I made an attempt at the "complete act 1 in an hour" acheivement and here are my thoughts on how it might be accomplished.

1) Your sole purpose is to advance the questline. No detours, no pit stops at merchants, no events or any other delays. If it's not a yellow or better drop, don't pick it up.

2) Make effective use of the town portal. Get back and forth as fast as possible to advance the questline.

3) Be high enough level to have a decent one hit attack, preferrably one that hits multiple enemies at once. I was using a late teens Barbarian and I was able to kill the Skele King in under 20 seconds (and earned that acheivement).

4) Run, run, run, rabbit, run. Run straight past enemies unless they are literally in your path and you can one hit them. (This gets a bit scary on the zig-zag with all the goat people after you get the staff to unlock the gate, but if you focus, you can run thru them all.) Which is why you should...

5) Buy the highest level health potion you can and equip it. Since you're running past enemies, you won't get any health globes. Just be careful of the cooldown. I actually had to stop and fight thru the zig-zag solely so I could get a health globe (yes, I failed to manage my potion cooldown).

6) I'd probably wait until my toon is at least in the 20's and trade other mods to get "+movement speed". With so much ground to cover, you simply have to run faster.

And lastly, and this is were ya'll come in...

7) Have at least 2 other players with you to divide and conquer the random locations. Use town portal and player banners to regroup. In the cemetary, send one player to each of the three crypts to find the right one. In dungeons, everyone takes a different hallway to find the stairs and later the ghost prisoners. In the fields, split up to find the cave w/ the sword piece and later the cart with the staff.

My first serious run took an hour and twenty minutes. To cut that by 25%, I see #6 & 7 as nearly essential.

Any other thoughts on how to cut the time?

Sheesh, sounds tough.

I remember trying this sort of challenge in some old games like Tomb Raider and Resident Evil............but without much success !

Good luck with that Masteff. I'm guessing yer going for it in normal difficulty :)!

Steve.

It's an amazing idea, very well thought out! I'm so hooked to HC right now, and I don't actually know the campaign all that well, this could be something that I love to do later on though, maybe in SC as well, do all achievements carry across sc and hc?

:)

gogo

One more point of interest for this specific line of achievements.

Be massively overleveled. Take a nightmare act 2 character and do it with that one.

Even better is doing the achievement in coop.

DO NOT LEAVE your game at any time during your run!

I did act 1-4 speedrun together with a friend, and he had to leave somewhere during act 3, he didn't get the achievement for act 3. We had to redo act 3 for it to work.

I think we did about 50-50-45 minutes over the first three acts. Don't know for act 4 anymore.

If you have to search for something, have all the players run in a different direction.

For a wizard: storm armor with the rune who gives a temporary damage aura is very good.

In any case: do not stop for any monster, blast elites aside with one hit and move on.

Arp

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm this sounds like fun.

I guess ill grab FrostBite level 37 HC wizzy and go normal act 1 zerg.

Will post result time.

Edited by D-molisher

And done in 52 mins ...

I lost 4 mins in spider cave level 1.

And lost some mins on level 3 just before the Warden.

124254011-4.jpg

Total 5 or 6 awards.

This are fun ... now a short break and time for act 2

Edited by D-molisher

act 2:

Maghda down in 9 in mins ...

15 mins dahlgur oasis ...

kule heads 42 mins

was doing fine till the 3 areas in his labrary, just before fighting kule .

Bah ...

1 h 1 min sadface ...

Edited by D-molisher

Ah well I picked up 7 random yellow items at bosses:

124254785-4.jpg

I got 3 new awards:

124254786-4.jpg

Soon gonna try act 2 again, its tedious at kules library cause they are wery large and parts are random places.

Edited by D-molisher

Very cool Dmol....might give this a try once the grind of Hell gets to me...might try and find a few pieces of gear with +movement speed on them 1st though

Act 4 is actually very easy to get the <1 hour achievement. I "accidentally" did it with my HC monk in normal without even trying. I was playing with a mage for the first half of the act, then picked up a barb for the second half. We didn't skip anything, killed every mob, did some of the random dungeons, got to the end and killed big D. Then we all got the popup for the achiev finished. Wasn't expecting it at all.

Dmol and I just ran all the Acts in under an hour each. With 2 people and Skype it was super easy. Plus it helps I was level 56 and Dmol was level 39 :)

With 2 people it's so much easier to navigate some of the bigger dungeons. Just simply head in a different direction and we found all exits within minutes.

I did all 4 acts each under 1 hour yesterday with PurringCat.

Was fun like always.

Nothing like doing stuff demigod way :thumbsup: ( level 60 in normal sc )

Edited by D-molisher