Boss run question

Hi.

I have seen mention that folk do 'boss runs'. I've never seen any detail to what this is. I'm guessing that players restart quests a re-do bosses that have already been beaten ?

For the first time, I changed the quest in the D3 menu. Not sure I did the right thing, but I now have to re-do nearly the whole of act 2 !

Can some-one kindly put into a bit of detail what a pro 'boss runner' will do, so that a simpleton like me can understand please ?

I have quite a few toons that I have been running through the game, with my best being a level 52 monk in hell.

Meanwhile, I have been building up the MF% and GF for my wizz so that he now has 127% MF & 116% GF. I would love to really test him on some regular boss's and see just how good the 'finders' are and what might drop. Unlike D2 the bosses are there only once, so that's why I need to change quests but there must be an easy way, so any help would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Steve.

You should be able to reset quest point to where your furthest progress is. In Nightmare I'm re-running parts just to gain more levels before moving on to next Act.

Be prepared to travel a bit to re-fight bosses. Blizzard intentionally made it so you have to run a bit to fight them from nearest waypoint. Some may have a checkpoint that is closer, so what you'd do is find one with a close checkpoint, kill the boss but don't complete the quest associated with it. Leave game and you should be able to resume right from that checkpoint.

As far as boss runs go....I wouldn't do them if you're looking for items. They nerfed the drops in last patch. I used to get 2 yellows each time I fought a boss for the first time. Now in Normal I'm getting 1 yellow and in NM I'm only getting blues. The better option would be to look for elite mobs. From what I understand they have the best chance to drop good items. Best part about fighting elites, you don't need to reset quests. Hopefully someone can mention an area that has several of them, because tbh I never really paid attention :P

First time you kill a boss in Normal, you get 1-2 rares. In a "later patch" the same will be true for Nm, hell, inferno.

Second time you kill a boss it is very unlikely you will get any rares. Unlikely enough that they are not worth farming.

However, at level 60 you can get the Nephalem Buff, which stack to five, and when maxed you will get at least 1 rare drop froma boss, and likely 2-3 if you have MF gear in.

So boss runs are essentially "kill rares till you get 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor, and then kill the boss - level 60 only".

1.0.3 changed it so 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor will also guarantee 1 rare item from elite packs (same as bosses), so boss runs aren't super useful anymore, but they aren't useless either, as long as you have 5 stacks.

Edited by Shadout

For the first time, I changed the quest in the D3 menu. Not sure I did the right thing, but I now have to re-do nearly the whole of act 2 !

As mentioned above, just go back to "change quest" and you can jump back and forth from where you left off.

They nerfed the drops in last patch.

Patch 1.0.3b is supposed to fix some of that problem. It may be out by end of this week.

Edit: and they may have done something in 1.0.3a because I was getting 1-3 yellows last night when killed 2-3 DHs over several hours.

Edited by masteff

Many thanks for replies.

I have re-run a couple of bosses a number of times and you are right, they drop 2 rares on first encounter and then just blues..............which is dissapointing, tbh.

Steve.

Blizz specifically stated around launch time that they didn't want people farming bosses over and over like in D2. They want you to run around, explore, and kill rare packs for loot. You'll be "rewarded for exploring" was the statement I think.