Guild Wars 2 - Beta Weekend July 20-22 on Gate of Madness server

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in as an Asura, but really weird rendering (blue pixels around certain objects) and I have no idea what I am doing xD Do we have a thread with usernames for invites lujate?

I'm in as an Asura, but really weird rendering (blue pixels around certain objects) and I have no idea what I am doing xD Do we have a thread with usernames for invites lujate?

I just tried in-game mail.

Okay. After watching a bunch of great gameplay videos and reading even more about Guild Wars 2, I decided to purchase it. Hopefully the GIGANTIC download will be done before the weekend is over.

It should, depending on your bandwidth.

I have about the first 5 gigs downloaded and looks like about 15 or so gigs left to go. Might just let the computer run while I go make dinner. Hoping to take this game for a good spin before I head off to sleep.

Mine is 15.8 GB total, so you might be closer than you think.

Server was full, so running around on a different one for a few minutes this morning.

:sigh:

Can you post the server name in case anyone else comes in? Also, guesting should allow us to do PvE across servers (have never tried it yet, but I am hoping they have it working this weekend).

And PM me your log in name, I will send you a guild invite.

Edit:

Going into this BWE, I was optimistic we would be able to keep FDM together but not convinced it would happen. It looks like the people suggesting a back-up home server were right (although the suggested backup is also showing full). I posted this on the official GW2 forums yesterday before I even started playing:

Prior to BWE1, my guild designated a home server. Unfortunately, that server filled up so fast that most of our members had to select an alternative server. We used free server transfers to move everyone to the alternative server, and all was well.

We are afraid of encountering the same trouble come head-start/release. Are there any contingencies in place to address this issue?

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Keeping-my-guild-together-at-release/

If you have time, bump that thread so we can keep some attention on this issue.

Server was full, so running around on a different one for a few minutes this morning.

Looks like there are free server transfers until 6pm PDT today. I guess just keep trying. It would be a pain to try and move everyone else to your server.

Looks like there are free server transfers until 6pm PDT today. I guess just keep trying. It would be a pain to try and move everyone else to your server.

I'm am going to try again later. If I don't make it on the same server for the bwe, no worries. I get on the same one at launch.

We picked a server that seemed to be rather quiet. Unfortunately, after the consolidation, a number of massive WvW guilds chose Gate of Madness, which pushed it to Full status.

We picked a server that seemed to be rather quiet. Unfortunately, after the consolidation, a number of massive WvW guilds chose Gate of Madness, which pushed it to Full status.

Also, Gates of Madness is a really attractive name for a world. Lotsa people may have chosen it simply based on the name, and the fact that it was number 3/4 in the drop down list for choosing worlds.

I think the server count will likely rebound at least slightly come release, since they are having some issues.

I hope the new comers are having a good time. GW2 has an incredibly steep learning curve, but IMO it is well worth it. For pc gamers, melee is the hardest to get used to. It is the player's responsibility to make sure there is an enemy in the path of their weapon before swinging. Coming from a console background, that is old hat to me, but not pc gamers. Trying a ranged class might help if that is giving you fits. You can always come back to melee after mastering the rest of the game mechanics.

IGW2 has an incredibly steep learning curve, but IMO it is well worth it. For pc gamers, melee is the hardest to get used to. It is the player's responsibility to make sure there is an enemy in the path of their weapon before swinging. Coming from a console background, that is old hat to me, but not pc gamers. Trying a ranged class might help if that is giving you fits. You can always come back to melee after mastering the rest of the game mechanics.

I totally agree, I personally am really happy with a ranged profession, but I have a tough time with GW2 targeting for melee (and I play GW1)

Please give it time, it grows on you. I had so much fun playing with everyone yesterday and today, and I think I laughed harder today playing (our "LT" took us on a crazy fun adventure) then I have in a long time. Was a total blast =)

Please give it time, it grows on you. I had so much fun playing with everyone yesterday and today, and I think I laughed harder today playing (our "LT" took us on a crazy fun adventure) then I have in a long time. Was a total blast =)

But on those kind of runs, anything other than ranged is suicide :explode: (which is why I went back to town and bought a greatsword for my Mesmer).

But on those kind of runs, anything other than ranged is suicide :explode: (which is why I went back to town and bought a greatsword for my Mesmer).

I really doubted our sanity :crazy: (lujate, Kiyeri and myself) following Flooxim into areas 10 plus levels over our heads. All of us had to be nuts. :nooo: I ate more dirt in that run than I ate all of the rest of the weekend (about 24 hours worth). Was it any wonder I took breaks to get some booze? :biggrin:

Just spent some great time playing GW2 with Lujate and Kiyeri. I have to admit the first couple of hours playing the game was not all that fun. A steep learning curve as Lujate pointed out. But thanks to having some great people to game with, and some time to start learning some of the mechanics of the game, it has gotten a lot better. I can not wait for the full version of the game to come out! :drool:

As always I had a blast playing with ya all.

So glad you had more fun today Zee (that's my new nickname for him)

Watch out I will probably give you all 3 letter nicknames :P

Not only does it take time to learn the mechanics, but it's hard to wrap your brain around the alternate style gaming... its not so much a leveling grind, :butcher: :butcher: in fact if you approach it that way your missing out, you have to immerse yourself in the world to experience it. And... its much more with friends. :drinks:

Luv ya all, cant wait till Aug 25th.

We had so much fun during that weekend, I'm so sad it's already over.

I've been able to take ~30 screenshots and around 2 hours of footage, I'll sort them this week and post later about our experience.

Max

yeah this weekend was really fun (72 hours WvWvW) paladin.gif , but where can I find a thread with you gw-names?

only found Immali ingame

I am afraid we do not have one yet. :blush: Before this weekend, there were only four of us really playing, so e already had each other in our friends list. We will most definitely need such a thread before release.

A few of my thoughts on BWE3...

Mesmer scepter:

Until this weekend, the scepter was the Mesmer's most ridiculed weapon. I did not use it much, but my initial reaction was "OMG they buffed the scepter". I think it will now be a viable weapon, giving the Mesmer a 1H ranged option.

Jumping puzzles:

They added more jumping puzzles, in the form off vistas. Personally, I loathe, despise and detest jumping puzzles, so this was an unwelcome addition for me. IMO, not doing them would put a character at a marked disadvantage. I will try to complete them with a little help from my friends (and YouTube).

Elementalist:

The ele was the last profession that I really wanted to try. Starting out with a scepter, I had to struggle hard not to retreat to the comfort and safety of a Mesmer. Once I had the money to buy a staff, things took off. The staff ele turned out to be my second favorite class, narrowly beating out the great sword Guardian. Unlocking all the skills for a single weapon takes a long time, particularly the water attunement for staff. I was originally intending to focus on water, which has two Area of Effect heals, but it always seemed we needed the damage from fire more. In hindsight, I probably should have picked a third attunement to use. That way I could switch from fire to water for the healing and then to something else while waiting for the cool down on fire. It seems to me that every profession has peculiarities that require a certain dedication to learn.

Elementalist:

The ele was the last profession that I really wanted to try. Starting out with a scepter, I had to struggle hard not to retreat to the comfort and safety of a Mesmer. Once I had the money to buy a staff, things took off. The staff ele turned out to be my second favorite class, narrowly beating out the great sword Guardian. Unlocking all the skills for a single weapon takes a long time, particularly the water attunement for staff. I was originally intending to focus on water, which has two Area of Effect heals, but it always seemed we needed the damage from fire more. In hindsight, I probably should have picked a third attunement to use. That way I could switch from fire to water for the healing and then to something else while waiting for the cool down on fire. It seems to me that every profession has peculiarities that require a certain dedication to learn.

While it seemed to take forever I enabled all the skills with all the weapons an elementalist can use. There are some interesting effects there and several ways that the play style can change if you want to go that way.

I LOVED playing Elementalist BWE2, and couldn't wait to play it again.

But, when I played it for the stress test it they had tweaked it so much I quickly HATED it so much I abandoned it. I was so disenchanted with what they had done to it that I went back to Ranger (which I already knew I loved) for BWE3.

Unfortunately for me, after my prior experience I didn't give it another try until Sunday.... OMG it was back to the Elementalist I knew and LOVED. They had fixed all the targeting issues I had been having.

I think maybe we should all level one and take out a team of Ele's to demolish the world hehe

I for one know imma definitely have to level me a Ranger, Mes, Ele and a Necro.