Advice for a newbie Dragon Mage...?

siddham

One of the first guides I read was by Dobri – “Tips on how to get off the right foot in Sacred 2”. Tip 2 was to think ahead about your character design. Good tip; so I decided to do just that. But as a beginner that’s easier said than done; so I decided to ask for some advice.

Here is my proposed build. I don’t know what order to take everything in; and there are some pairs of skills which seem to me to fulfil similar functions in this build and I am wondering which of the two I should take.

I could be wrong about everything here – so any opinions and advice are welcome.

My character will be a Dragon Mage. A mentalism/melee hybrid. The reason for melee is because I like it; and also for the effects which a weapon can apply – life leech; RpH etc.

My weapon will be swords; because I like them; and I can use a shield (or go two-handed). I don’t need a ranged weapon attack (staff) since I have ranged spells (e.g. blaze) which can be placed very accurately to draw mobs if necessary.

My skills: (not in order of taking)

Mentalism Lore

Mentalism Focus

Concentration

Tactics Lore (for the extra damage and access to swords)

Swords

Armor Lore

Shield Lore

Constitution or Alchemy (survivability – I am tempted to go HC)

Enhanced Perception

Bargaining (I wont be using shoppers or a blacksmith, so EP & B help to give my character access to better equipment – a utility build – and the whole loot & shopping thing is a fun aspect of the game anyway)

If I do go hardcore I need to be very defensive. Safety is more important to me than speed. I don’t mind longer battles so long as my character survives.

Specific questions:

Constitution or Alchemy?

Accessing swords? I want to use a shield for general survivability and sockets etc so it’s either swords or staffs; but swords also allows two-handed and some guides say those are best for bosses with LL. But some might say Tactics is a waste in this build.

Any advice on the order I should take the skills.

To those who do read and consider and reply…thanks.

Best of luck with this toon, Siddham... Since I was on console only, I never played the DM. I did read Chattius' guide, and it seems like a very tough build.

Maybe the master himself can give some sagely advice on your setup.

Happy hunting!

Yes I have been reading Chattius' guide and getting a lot from it.

So do I take it the expansion wasnt released on console?

So far I am just starting in sloeford. I might start again since I dont think I chose the option to focus on one aspect...which in fact I plan to do...making this up as I go along. Only level 4 so not so bad to start over.

Is it possible to export and archive toons at different stages?

Siddham, I know little about the Dragon Mage, I think I got one to the low 120's, fun to play, that DOT I was using was powerful, but he lost oomph for me later on. I know he turned out to be a popular class, especially with the destroyers who could demolish entire screens of enemies.

Hope your building is fun, heh, I love seeing Sacred 2 kept alive, and, of course, the imoortal words...

Welcome to DarkMatters!

:)

gogo

Siddham, I know little about the Dragon Mage, I think I got one to the low 120's, fun to play, that DOT I was using was powerful, but he lost oomph for me later on. I know he turned out to be a popular class, especially with the destroyers who could demolish entire screens of enemies.

Hope your building is fun, heh, I love seeing Sacred 2 kept alive, and, of course, the imoortal words...

Welcome to DarkMatters!

gogo

Hi gogoblender :)

you say your DM "but he lost oomph for me later on"; I take it you mean you tired of the character - not that it was weak in higher levels?

If I am correct - what has been your favorite character?

I was enamored of the Dryad for a loooong time, and switched to a really high powered Purely Magical High Elf, ice, I uploaded the builds from HC to Sacred 2 Downloads here:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/files/

Plus the guides are here in DarkMatters for the High Elf, when I'm back from work, I can link you to them if you do not find it by then.

gogo

One thing to consider is that Dragon Mages get Willpower as an attribute increase along with Intelligence if using the Familiar buff. If you use the Community Patch, using Lightsabers is the best way to take advantage of the buff and Willpower does increase Lightsaber damage. Just an option to think about.

One thing to consider is that Dragon Mages get Willpower as an attribute increase along with Intelligence if using the Familiar buff. If you use the Community Patch, using Lightsabers is the best way to take advantage of the buff and Willpower does increase Lightsaber damage. Just an option to think about.

Hi DaveO :)

unfortunately what you say about "Dragon Mages get Willpower as an attribute increase along with Intelligence if using the Familiar buff" goes right over my head...not long enough at the game to get that! Can you explain?

What DaveO meant is that your familiar buff (AFAIK) has a modifier that boosts your Willpower, as well as your Intelligence. This is signifigant because different weapons use different attributes for boosting their damage:

Swords and Axes use Strength

Some polearms use Strength, some use Dexterity

Ranged weapons use Dex.

Staffs use Intelligence

And, the community patch moved lightsabers from the strength "category" to Willpower. So, if you are using a lightsaber (which are also found more commonly in the CM patch than Ice and Blood), then your Willpower will be boosting your weapon damage.

Ah!...Thanks essjayehm :) That clarifies it; and may send me back to the drawing board.

Obviously synergy between ones weapons and aspcts and attributes is desirable...and could make a big difference at higher levels and with major bosses?

Well, with fully buffed up char and goodie saber enemies will melt away.

Though might take some time to come up with a good saber, if not lucky. The long Epic Office gives nice saber as reward, when CM-patch is in use, or some serious shopping.

Guess I'll take a stroll with my DM into Ancaria today. Just to check the saber build once again.

Even at level 1 for the Familiar buff, your Dragon Mage gets an added 45 points added to Willpower. You are guaranteed at least one lightsaber if you do the Corn Circles quest.

Most people do advise two handed weapon builds due to % life leech. Sword weapons is not a bad skill choice, since life leech can spawn on swords, polearms, and throwing weapons. I've never seen it spawn on hafted weapons yet although it is supposed to(it may be a rare spawning bonus).

Dave: Thanks for reminding that. I really forgot about that quest already... Spent some time shopping with couple of top-notch shoppers and no sabers.

Now I have at least one to work out with. At least until I get to use the one from Epic Office.

About %LL; haven't seen it of hafted either, apart from Kal'Dur, obviously. Could be that those hand blades tagged as hafted could possibly have it, as I've seen them on sword ones. Quite rare though.

DaveO what effects can spawn on or be put into magic staffs? %LL...RpH?

Magic Staffs would have good synergy with DM aspects and attributes...might be the best choice for a DM, depending on which effects they can carry.

Good hunting Stormwing :)

I've seen critical chance, chance to halve regeneration(may reduce regeneration of time for Combat Arts), fear opponents(enemies run away), and deathblow(more damage once target drops below a hitpoint threshold) available. Nlovae's Mystery and Ignis Magica are two good one-handed unique staves. I've never seen Mystery drop, but I did use Ignis Magica for my DM Staff build.

IF the staff build is any indication, the damage of lightsabers/staves seems low but once you add in Intelligence or Willpower you can do hundreds of points of damage per hit.

My advice at the moment would be to keep Mentalism on your build but figure a way to bring in Dragon Magic Focus to improve melee damage.

At minimum, you'll probably want/need the following skills:

2. If going for magic staves, pick them here. If not, always Tactics Lore

3. Armor Lore

5. Mentalism Focus/Lore

8. Dragon Magic Focus

12. Swords if you don't want to use staves

18. Mentalism Focus/Lore(whichever you did not pick at level 5)

25. Constitution

35. Your skill choice

50. Your skill choice

65. Spell Resistance

You can also get lightsabers from bosses, so adding in Enhanced Perception may improve your chances of seeing them on boss drops.

Runes of Protection MAY stack with Shield Lore to add in even more physical resistance at higher levels.

EDIT - I almost forgot Concentration, which is required for a multiple buff scenario. That still leaves one skill choice.

Edited by DaveO

siddham: I'm afraid fixed life leech is only option for staves of any sorts.And that by socketing. Can't really remember, but mostly random ones spawn with magic-orientated stats, obviously. The Unique ones have little more variety. All in all, you can get everything that's aviable on rings and ammies. Staff one is a viable build and you could add Staff Lore for some shooting, if you want. Mind you, it's only for normal attacks, as DM doesn't have weapon-CAs.

There's few threads here and there talking about staff shooters. Most destructive, and also broken, being staff-shooter Dryad. It's a nice enough build, but can get a bit boring, and one might miss some loot due to insane kill range. :gun2:

Edit: Well, Dave beat me to it. :D There's a nice, solid build. I'm using one as a test dummy. RoP really bumps your defense up, so it's a nice enough buff, along with Familiar. Kinda momentarily broke his skills, as I forgot Swords are a second tier for DM.

Atm, at level 50, hit rate seems discouragingly low, might need to fix it with few Whets or something until I get to 65 to finally get the Swords up..

Edited by Stormwing

From my experience with multiple broken builds, a weapon skill is required for any build before level 25 at the latest.

I do know that various uniques will drop regardless if you have Enhanced Perception or not, so this may help for the final skill choice.

Er, I can say that I do not take any weapon skills... and that is with a melee toon with weapon-based combat arts. The DM doesn't have any weapon-based Combat Arts.

Just goes to show the amount of versatility this wonderful game has! There is a lot of different viable ideas for builds in the game... best of luck with your DM, Siddham!

A little update

I finally got started and enjoying my DM. I'm only at Lv7 so it's very early days; but so far a 2-hand sword is my main attack. I'm finding the 2-hand sword so effective I may decide not to take Shield; that would free up a skill slot. I know when the mob intensity ramps up spells will likely be more important; maybe shields too? - but for now its the 2-hand sword. I like the animations and sound effects of the 2-hand sword too. So far I have taken Mentalism, Tactics and Armor; next choice will be Swords. I also have a level 5 shopper...might keep levelling him up along side...for a bit.

It is a fun game.

• 11 months later...

Started My Dragon Mage. I played the 360 game like crazy and maybe put in like 300+ hours into that game.

Just go Sacred 2 Gold thanks to the humble bundle. Downloaded the CM patch and started playing.

Loving the Dragon and can not wait to play more.

Glad I found this group.

Started My Dragon Mage. I played the 360 game like crazy and maybe put in like 300+ hours into that game.

Just go Sacred 2 Gold thanks to the humble bundle. Downloaded the CM patch and started playing.

Loving the Dragon and can not wait to play more.

Glad I found this group.

Welcome aboard Robi, glad to have you on the forums! Glad you're enjoying the Dragon Mage :)