Sacred 3 Current Scheduelled Release Date for 2013

gogoblender

I remember when first hearing about the date, how quick it was going to be. This Sacred is going to be a very diferent kind of game. Smaller, action oriented, they have said they're bringing the focus away from items... arcade game mechanics?

;)

gogo

• 1 month later...

I went to Deep Silver's site and found this:

http://www.deepsilver.com/us/game-view/view/game/access16/sacred-3-9/

It's probably nothing that you guys haven't already seen, but it's news to me.

All I can say is that they better do 3 things if they want me to buy their game:

1. Don't make it online only (like Diablo 3 did)

2. Make sure there's equivalent hotties to be played as in Sacred 2

3. The graphics have got to be as good as or better than Sacred 2

Keeping my fingers crossed; a lot of the newer games have been such huge let-downs; let's hope Sacred 3 doesn't follow suit.

• Like! 1

My heart was broken when they mentionned no more "open" game, and when someone from their new production team claimed "noone wants to much tinkering with builds and items"

Puleeze

:butcher:

gogo

Don't really know, who they've been listening to. But tinkering and experimenting, not to mention exploring huuuuge open world is The Main Essence of Sacred games, IMHO.

I really hope they'll surprise us all, positively. Otherwise I'll be sticking to Skyrim...

3 things that are needed for a great RPG game:

1) Customization (both character and class)

2) Good story/plot (this includes more than just hum-drum NPC/monster interaction)

3) Replayability (different outcomes to the finale, etc.)

I believe Sacred 3 will need all of these to be a long term success.

Now that Ascaron is gone, there's also the question of how the new developers will handle the game.

The successors of Westwood (Command&Conquer series) failed: They may have produced a decent RTS, but it's no CnC...

The successors of SirTech (Jagged Alliance) failed: JA3 may, again, have had it's own charm, but its not really a successor to JA2.

What little Information there is on the Wikipedia page is worrying as well, at least from my perspective. The chance of success(as a successor) ist extremely low, if a core game mechanic is to be changed. Furthermore there is a massive amount of casual gamers around. And since people like quotes, here is one from the interview with Deep Silvers' PR Manager Martin Wein: "The Community will be taken on board again too. We wanna develop a sequel, which will stand the modern demands of a video game."

The changes in the player base, combined with the willingness of the developers to sell as much as possible and to hell with the long term playability (as a result of modern games meeting more casual player's demands), nibble on the fun of old style gamers.

Releases of the past couple years suggest a bleak future. The only glipse of hope I have results of the fact, that Deep Silver hasn't published any really bad games. As expectations go, I expect that (apart from graphics) the 3rd will be, in total, worse than the 2nd... Perhaps good, but not great.

• Like! 1

Eh.. I don't think it will be all that bad.

1.) There are an AWFUL lot of hard core players for Sacred 1, Underworld and Sacred 2. There is also a fairly tight community revolving around these games - DarkMatters, Sacred/Sacred 2 International Forum, the Deep Silver S3 forum, not to mention all of the other fan sites, forums and what not in languages other than English and German - I.e. Russian, French and a number of others.

2.) You may have forgotten, or not known, but Ascaron was actually not the first company to develop Sacred. They were a follow-up company to Ikarion who went belly up. There's a monument in Artamark near Artamark's Gate - right next to the mine/cave entrance where there's a guy giving out a quest to go kill some dude hiding inside. Something about the guy killing his wife and him wanting revenge - anyhow.. It's dedicated to the "Ikarion Mine Disaster" - a nod to the previous owners of the game.

And hey, Sacred and Sacred 2 turned out pretty well in spite of it being 2nd hand.

3.) Since Martin said that the community will be taken on board - they will no doubt be wanting feedback. And even though there are a lot of newbs coming on board who are "casual" gamers, I suspect Deep Silver will be taking the hard core players' feedback quite seriously. I somehow doubt that they would do too much to alienate the community at large. That would be bad for them. Half of the PR game is to get word of mouth advertising - after all - it's free and more powerful as a whole than all the paid ads they can put online or in magazines and such. If I talk to a friend of mine who plays games and I'm excited about Sacred 3, odds are they will be wanting a copy. If I tell them the game sucks rotten eggs, they're far more likely to avoid it like the plague.

And MOST importantly of all, Word of Mouth is FREE! It doesn't cost Deep Silver or any other game publisher a dime.

So yes, there's maybe some reasons to be worried, as a whole, I don't see it being all that bleak.

I recall a game that came out about the same time Sacred was released called Divine Divinity. It had a very similar game engine - the same sort of graphics and a somewhat similar theme. It wasn't nearly as good as Sacred is - but it wasn't all that bad. The company behind it (I forget who they are at the moment) also put out a sequel - Beyond Divinity - that was also based on the same game engine as the first. But it had a co-op style multiple personality kind of thing going for it. You were bonded magically to a bad guy who you had to work with. Sort of like a Seraphim teamed up with an Inquisitor. The object of the game was to get to the end of a very long series of mazes and challenges, killing all the bad guys on the way, collecting loot, leveling up and the like. It wasn't a bad game. It required a bit of learning how to get through things - but it was quite playable.

So let's just wait and see.

Edited by wolfie2kX

The chance of success(as a successor) ist extremely low, if a core game mechanic is to be changed.

You hit it on the head with this.

Core Game Mechanic

Wolfie's next post is good as well, the community for this game from global perspective is hard core lovers...but of what? We all loved to tinker, the freedom of playing with all the mechanics, the open world.

I was a little disheartened when I read that quote from the publisher side that they got rid of all this because they said "noone really wants this"

Just with those words, I was wondering if they had ever played any game in the Sacred series before, cared about what us, devoted fans, want, and just, a la modern with way 'reboots" decided to see if they could squeeze more money from the franchise but with a completely different kind of game... more simple, street fighter fare...

The community will probably support whatever's made with the name Sacred on it, but if it's not the real thing (please please please please) they'll only do it once.

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

I think I've come across an interesting tidbit on the release date. If you look on Deep Silver's list of games to be released in chronological order you can see that although there is no release date for Sacred 3... They do however place it to be released after the game called "Emergency 2013" which is clearly labeled to be released November 2013. That said and with the trend of game releases being delayed, we're probably looking at a 2014 release date for Sacred 3.

See for yourselves on the Deep Silver site:

http://www.deepsilver.com/us/games/

From it's menu, click on Games and then release date.

Another possibility that just occurred though is that they simply put all undated releases at the bottom of the list, heh.

• Like! 1

I dont mind, gives us time to get the sites back in order. Nice heads up Schot, it'll be winter boots season... something warm to look forward to in the deep heart of winter.

gogo

I agree. We don't have such a cold season here in the country of the sun, but we can wait with a cold drink instead! :P

Anyway, I'm not sure why, but I got the feeling we Sacred players are rather a patient race...

I think I've come across an interesting tidbit on the release date. If you look on Deep Silver's list of games to be released in chronological order you can see that although there is no release date for Sacred 3... They do however place it to be released after the game called "Emergency 2013" which is clearly labeled to be released November 2013. That said and with the trend of game releases being delayed, we're probably looking at a 2014 release date for Sacred 3.

See for yourselves on the Deep Silver site:

http://www.deepsilver.com/us/games/

From it's menu, click on Games and then release date.

Another possibility that just occurred though is that they simply put all undated releases at the bottom of the list, heh.

Then again, they can STILL surprise us all with something that can be found under the Christmas tree. :l_santa:

I agree. We don't have such a cold season here in the country of the sun, but we can wait with a cold drink instead! :P

Anyway, I'm not sure why, but I got the feeling we Sacred players are rather a patient race...

Most likely because we know there's something good waiting for us at the end of it all. We've put up with the bugs, crashes and such to the point where waiting a few extra months for a new game - instead of giving up in disgust and tossing it into the bin.

@ Evabody...

Speaking of crashing and bugs... Don't forget, there's likely to be an open BETA too (also something I see trending)...

:D Which means we may get our first taste of the game by Sept/Oct...

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • Like! 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I hope to all hell it ISN'T a online only game, I'm sick of the flood of cool looking games only being online. However if they want to stay true to the franchise then it's unlikely to be. (Fingers crossed)

As to the customisation of characters... would be cool but isn't really needed. I've been replaying the first game again (yep, dragged out my old laptop as the current windows can't play it) and I remember why I fell in love with the games in the first place.

The things out of the second game I would like to see kept are the chests that have your stuff and the stuff you'd like to swap between your characters (That was one thing that was frustrating with the first game unless you happened to have 2 computers that could be LAN'd)

Another is I like the portal system of the second, that no matter where you were in Ancaria you could warp to any of the portals/active res sites.

One of the things I do love about the first one is that the Uber green collections had some good environmental effects, like the wood elf's set that made it snow (Can't remember what set it was but it was cool)

Also when I first played the 2nd game as a Seraphim (who wouldn't?) I noticed that the grass seemed to "grow" at the edges of the screen (now I know that was part of the graphics and not gameplay) but thought how cool for the evil campain if the grass withered as your character walked.

Anyhoo, enough of this, when ever it is release, regardless of how it runs or what the reviews are, I will be there to buy it and spend many (and I mean MANY as my husband can attest to) hours and days playing it! Cannot wait for the release, and until then will have to consol mysself with Bioshock 3 and Deadpool till then.

Edited by Skattered_Ink
  • Like! 1

heh, with you on the absolute buying it. Spent too much of my life paying the dang thing, even if it's a goodbye to the series, at least I'll be loyal... to this last point anyway

Great seein you post here Skattered, welcome to DarkMatters!

gogo

What Cathleen said.

Although, I'm pretty sure that if thing's won't take a big leap to some other way, Sacred 3's not on my top list of things to buy... Dunno exactly what's coming on the two latter quarters of this year, but I'm sure there'll be some thing that'll go on the top of the list.

Watch Dogs for example would be one, if EU release is in about on par with the US.

Edited by Stormwing

I'll probably still be actively playing Animal Crossing:New Leaf for the 3ds and still testing mods for Oblivion and Skyrim. I don't really need any more games, so they have to be really impressive for me to even think about them. So far, I'm feeling just blah about this one.

Sofar the screenshots of S3 look nice, but also a bit platformee. ( if that aint a word I just made it one )

I dont see any open world shots, and this bothers me a bit.

most of us enjoyed the occasional dungeon left and right, but in the end it was allways about hordes of orcs in a desert with nowhere to run, or a bunch of illwilled darkelves bend on destruction on the open plains and the only thing saving your life was you either running away long enough for your CA to reload or hoping you brought enough pots to survive the encounter.

if S3 will be a dungeonrunner like Diablo and there is no way to get lost ( I allways enjoyed getting lost in ancaria ) I probably wont pay for it, also not being able to make your own char to your liking but having to conform to preset chars... that would kill the game for me, and for those ppl brave enough to build an Xbow gladiator, a Pureknight Vampire, a LHW seraphim or "insert your own favorite combo here"

"edit" after reading Birne's preview im fairly certain you will not find me on S3.

Edited by DreDBanGeR

Oh, the glorious days of the original Sacred. I actually have couple of projects going on now that I finally managed to sort things out. Other is the said X-bower. Made him back in the day and got somewhere in Platinum until my HD died. Also, started a Poison Daemon, just for the fick of it. Paired with tentacles is helluva gorefest. :D

All these funny things aren't possible in a dumbed down more action orientated RPG. If one could even say RPG after the previews and stuff...

• Like! 1
  • 8 months later...