Deep Silver and Sacred Citadel at GamesCom

Our Community Manager, Maurice, will be presenting live, the newest addition to the Sacred Family, Deep Silver's new brawler, Sacred Citadel!

From Deep Silver Forum

"Going to gamescom? I will be presenting Sacred Citadel on stage every day, and you will be able to get hands-on playtime with the game, cooperatively, at the Deep Silver booth in Hall 7 B041/C040.See you there!"

Anyone here going? It's a little too far for me, oh by a few thousand miles...but GamesCom has been a star focus for me for the last few years, where Sacred's made appeance and all the lucky contestants got to get their sweaty mitts on the game before I.

A good luck to Maurice, get lots of fans going, and maybe we'll be in line for some pix of all the excitement

:)

gogo

heh,it's a few thousand miles away from both you and me. I've been scouting around on the net looking for pix... anyone seen anything with Sacred Citadel yet at GamesCom?

gogo

heh,it's a few thousand miles away from both you and me. I've been scouting around on the net looking for pix... anyone seen anything with Sacred Citadel yet at GamesCom?

Gamescom starts on the 15th (open access to the public on the 16th).

I have a feeling that I won't be getting much work done this coming week, scouring the net every 15 minutes for any sort of update/information. :)

Edited by Mystix123

ah ha! With you scouring and us looking out, we'll get good pix...I remember last time when Sacred 2 was showing, so exciting to see everything happening!

gogo

Would love to have gone to this but have no holiday left this year :cry:

Citadel is looking great and even though it's not my type of game, it's Sacred! so I have to get it :D

Citadel is looking great and even though it's not my type of game, it's Sacred! so I have to get it :D

Yes, it's Sacred, eeeeeeeee, means I want to get it too... love being a fan, specially of this really cool, tucked-away non-mainstream game.

*high fives @ Dobster*

gogo

I assure you, my productivity at work has been very low this week. It's not my fault though...The computer that I (and others) use to run our experiments had a motherboard failure (I swear I had nothing to do with it! I was playing Sacred 2 at home at the time!), so I've been completely out of commission.

Ok, from what I've gathered thus far, the demo has been on a very cool looking arcade cabinet.

Part of the demo level swings a solid log trap ("It's a [log] trap!"...Star Wars + Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 reference from EVO 2012) and it looks like you can hit it back and forth to use it as a weapon also (ala Super Double Dragon's 3rd stage with the tethered speed ball which you can use to infinite all of the enemies in the room).

Gameplay reminds me a lot of the good ol' days of beat 'em ups. Now I'm really excited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cU1xkkS3Vc

Someone has posted "Sacred Citadel and Sacred 3 impressions from Gamescom", but it's in French, so I don't understand it. (I haven't spoken any French in about 12 years.) If someone could translate for us, that'd be awesome.

Edited by Mystix123

Thanks to Stephane over at the Deep Silver forums, a translation of the French video.

So I just got out of a meeting on Sacred Citadel and Sacred 3, Sacred citadel is an arcade side-scrolling game like golden axe, old fashion, you can play with friends in co-op in order to smash mobs while having fun, then there's several layers on the gameplay, you can move back and forth on the ground, you can use the environment and mounts, graphically it's very pretty, it looks very dynamic, it seems really nice to play multi with friends.

You will be able to find that game on XBLA, PSN and Steam also I think. Basically it's a nice game to play with friends, if you like golden axe and if you like the old days of arcade games and side scrolling it's all good.

Sacred 3 is a game that is under "embargo" until the end of the month so I can't really talk about it, I can only say that it is in the same way as the old ones, it's an hack'n'slash and in my opinion will compete with Diablo3, stay tuned!

http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/showthread.php/67259-Some-Sacred-Citadel-Updates-from-Gamescom

Also, a new video, with 3 player co-op!

Edited by Mystix123
Sacred 3 is a game that is under "embargo" until the end of the month so I can't really talk about it, I can only say that it is in the same way as the old ones, it's an hack'n'slash and in my opinion will compete with Diablo3, stay tuned!

wait a minute, you go to one of the biggest game show on the planet to annouce that there going to show something or tell a month later?

Am I the only one see this odd?

wait a minute, you go to one of the biggest game show on the planet to annouce that there going to show something or tell a month later?

Am I the only one see this odd?

Maybe the game wasn't exactly ready to be shown. And there's PAX Prime starting August 31st.

Max

The art direction and style is so painful to look at it makes me cry. I dont like it at all. Also it is much to hard to differentiate between playing area and foreground/background.

At about 2:25 into the video Maurice said you cant have 3 of the same char when playing co-op, bad bad move in my opinion. You should be able to play what you want in co-op.

So far I'm not at all excited about Sacred Citadel.

At about 2:25 into the video Maurice said you cant have 3 of the same char when playing co-op, bad bad move in my opinion. You should be able to play what you want in co-op.

I noticed that myself. Perhaps that was only for the demo build though.

Some additional thoughts (I posted it on the Sacred World forum, but not here):

So, a new question comes to mind based on the presented demo: Is the character restriction (only 1 person can use a class, so you can't have multiple Warriors, for example) is limited only to the demo presented at Gamescom, or if this will be a limit in the full version?

From the stand-point of a beat 'em up game, this makes sense, and is supported by countless examples from various games (minus a few games, such as the Capcom D&D games, which allowed up to 2 of the same character). However, if there's an element of RPG style character building (and the potential of characters having different play-styles), I can see this being an issue. For example, it often became an issue online in Castle Crashers. There was often someone left unable to pick their character(s) who were leveled, leaving them either with a Level 1 character (often in a part of the game where a level 1 character hinders the team) or being kicked from the game entirely.

My original question remains: Is the loot system is closer to Sacred 2's system, or if there are pre-set weapons and armor throughout the game (which get progressively better to keep up with the tougher enemies). I noticed the mention of multiple campaigns, and moving onto the next campaigns for new weapons and armor, so this leaves the question open.

Realistically, I'm not expecting either of these questions to be answered until the game comes out, or generally closer to release, but I thought I would put them on the table anyways.

Apparently Maurice also confirmed that both Sacred Citadel and Sacred 3 are sequels (according to birne on Sacred World).

Also, it's only been confirmed that a 4th character will be available, which really makes it seem like the "no duplicate characters" choice will become very problematic.

Still pretty excited to get my Sacred fix, and its awesome seeing that they've got some concrete content that I can look at. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they went with no duplicate characters per game, as most older Arcade Games that was the norm. The video shows this even clearer when you see the game is hooked up to an actual arcade machine. Doesn't look too bad for a filler game until S3, can't wait :)

I like that bit - Sacred 3 is a game under "embargo" until the end of the month. So we should have some information early next month, then? Here's hoping :bounce:

I love that ! We have been waiting so long, we're fans, I mean... we're REAL fans... any bit of delicious news re our big game is music to ears , graphics to eyes, pommegranetes in stomach... yum yum, only a month more to go? So much stuff we all wanna know, more art style, Combat Arts ( love saying that, dang, hated saying skills from D3 :whip: .

I think it was kind of ballzy for the sacred franchise to come out with a two d/shooter/brawler, noone could EVER have guessed it, but when you look at the line of imagination that has gone into this franchise, it shows that they've always come up with the widest thing.

We don't have to get the brawler, but loads of people will, get in line folks!

:viking:

gogo

p.s. Mystic, I don't know how you keep finding this amazing time for game, thanks, all this info got Monday off to a roaring start here for me!

For Sacred Citadel, there are 4 playable characters which means you can create different kinds of "teams" to play around with. Within each team setup, you can find your best role with each character (and equip weapons/armor and level it to your taste). So if you are playing with two friends, you can keep playing it again and again with different characters in different teams.

But no, you can't have three of the same characters in one team/group because the idea is to support each other in co-op. If your friends are being anal about selecting the same character you want to play, I suggest using the same tactics you used whenever someone picked the Amazon or the Dwarf in Golden Axe II before you could :).

The story of Sacred Citadel takes place a long period of time after the first two Sacred games, and will act as a prelude to the events in Sacred 3.

You can see it as roughly [s1/Sacred 2====================Sacred Citadel==Sacred 3] for the timeline.

It doesn't show it that well in the cam videos, but the foreground and background are really easy to distinguish when you play it. You also can't walk into the background so it's pretty hard not to know where you can and can't go. There was plenty of skepticism at gamescom from Sacred fans, but a lot of people who gave it a try actually did have fun with it even though it's a completely different genre! Talk is cheap, of course, so once there is a demo or an event where you can play it, I'd say just give Citadel a try and make up your mind based off that.

Speaking of which, if anyone is going to PAX Prime in Seattle this weekend, we're showing Sacred 3 to the public for the first time and we have Sacred Citadel playable at our booth. If you're going and want to say hi, I'll be locked inside our booth for most of the day so it's easiest to hit me up on Twitter at @Sacred_world and tell me to escape my little booth prison to come talk for a bit :). I'd be happy to!

If you're not at PAX, keep an eye out in the second half of this week and the weekend for Sacred 3 press coverage from gamescom and PAX.

Nice info, thanks Maurice!

I think I'll get this game just for the sake of the connection it has with Sacred 3!

You probably can't give away too much about Sacred 3 at this stage, but please tell us that the showing will be a bit more than a cryptic 1 minute video? :devil:

Can you tell us how much more "modern" the game is going to be since the time line is so much later? Will there be sharks with frikin lazor beams?

I'll be getting Sacred Citadel for sure, as it looks to me like a cross between Golden Axe and the Sacred setting, so a combination of one of my favourite games as a kid and my first pick setting as an adult. Looking forward to the info from PAX, though I won't be there in person (my employers don't pay me enough, and might notice my absence if I did so!). Hoping for the best for S3!