Guild Wars 2 - Guild Admin

As the real start date of GW2 approaches (no more beta), I think we should probably discuss guild admin. I have been around DarkMatters long enough, and played with enough of you, that I think I have a pretty good idea of what we want out of a guild. We do not want an overbearing guild telling us what, when and how to play (the first time someone demands to be called Sir, I am outta here.) We also do not want to be billed for the privilege of being a guild member.*

(*-As much as I hate to admit it, I have seen every one of these things listed as requirements for GW2 guilds.)

So what is the purpose of a guild? The primary purpose is to play the game with good people and have fun. The guild members generate influence simply by doing just that, playing the game. The guild leader (or designated represenative) is the administrator of that influence and sees that it is spent according to the members wishes (it is theirs after all). Additionally, there is the guild bank, which is shared item storage that belongs to the guild. The guild leader is the executer of the bank. At times, the guild will likely need coin to help fund sponsored events. Donations will always be accepted into the guild bank. In some cases, attendees for special events may be required to contribute a small fee to cover expenses.

Guild Positions (in alphabetical order):

• Guild leader-Genenut
  • Guild leader-lujate
  • Ambassador-gogo
  • Ambassador-Schot
  • Officer-Flooxim
  • Officer-Lord of the North

I will set up the guild early on the first morning of head start, and name Flooxim as officer. Genenut (the FDM GW1 guild leader) will be coming online shortly after general release, and I will add her as an additional guild leader at that time and her husband Lord of the North as an officer. We may need officers for other times zones in the future (we currently expect to have two members in the EU time zones).

We are just starting out now. This is subject to change as we learn more about GW2 and possibly grow in size.

One note, guild chat PG only please.

Remember, this is your guild!

Edit:

Revised Guild Positions list

We do not want an overbearing guild telling us what, when and how to play (the first time someone demands to be called Sir, I am outta here.) We also do not want to be billed for the privilege of being a guild member.

So what is the purpose of a guild? The primary purpose is to play the game with good people and have fun. The guild members generate influence simply by doing just that, playing the game.

One note, guild chat PG only please.

I second these points! Although I won't mind being called Sir, a simple "your majesty" will suffice :whistle:

Is membership going to be restricted to DM forum members only? I swear I read one of you guys posting something like that somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find that post anywhere at the moment.

Is membership going to be restricted to DM forum members only? I swear I read one of you guys posting something like that somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find that post anywhere at the moment.

Good question. I asked about our recruiting policy in one of the threads, but no one responded. Since DarkMatters is the guild website, membership should probably be required. I guess the question is whether we should try to bring outsiders to DM.

Personally, I think we should allow outsiders to join us in GW2.

The reason for this is that it is always much more entertaining and fun to play with others. Isn't fun and entertainment the reason we play games? When you meet someone in-game in an MMO that you click with, you naturally want to play with them again, It only makes sense to allow them to join your guild. Not that we actively recruit, but if you make a friend you want them to be in your guild. The real question should be if we want them to join DarkMatters or not.

The reason for this is that it is always much more entertaining and fun to play with others. Isn't fun and entertainment the reason we play games? When you meet someone in-game in an MMO that you click with, you naturally want to play with them again, It only makes sense to allow them to join your guild. Not that we actively recruit, but if you make a friend you want them to be in your guild. The real question should be if we want them to join DarkMatters or not.

I don't mind outsiders to join us in-game. I heard Genenut saying that some members from the DA clan may join us shortly after the release. We could strongly recommend outsiders to join the forums if they want to be up-to-date with all what's going on with the Guild.

Max

I don't mind outsiders to join us in-game. I heard Genenut saying that some members from the DA clan may join us shortly after the release. We could strongly recommend outsiders to join the forums if they want to be up-to-date with all what's going on with the Guild.

Max

Yes that is exactly my feelings Max, Recommend they do, but you cannot demand they do so. If and when we ever become an EndGame Guild tho, it is generally accepted to make it mandatory.

Sweeeeet, can't wait for release to be a part of this! Regarding the people outside of FDM joining us ingame, I do think that they should belong to the forums, if only for informational purposes. Only so much can be conveyed ingame, and it'd make sure that nobody gets left out of upcoming news and whatnot. Then again, if they never check the forum the argument is pointless :)

I suppose we all know by now what we expect from each other as far as members of DM goes... so I suppose we just need to keep proper DM mentality in mind when inviting players into the FDM guild.

I guess we have a lot to thank for Sacred in having such a great community, since I've never come across "I'm the best 1v1 player", "You're a noob", "Your build sucks", "I have the best gear" type of comments. Since Sacred only encourages actual game play and fun, it kept the egos in check.

But I do suggest that we reserve Officer status to (active) DM members only. I'd hate to deposit a real gem of an item into the guild vault only to see some other guy take it out and (possibly) deposit into another guild they might belong to... in fact, I'm wondering how long after launch the words "Guild Farming/Trolling" will become a common term?

We have shrank the officer list. Based on the number of anticipated members at launch, we do not need that many officers.

Kiyeri is still an officer in the text part (should be Lord of the North), while she is not in the list.

Max

Edited by Flooxim

Kiyeri is still an officer in the text part (should be Lord of the North), while she is not in the list.

Max

Good catch. I should have it fixed now.

Max

Good catch. I should have it fixed now.

Seems all good, let's just wait for an official reply from the Guild Leader.

Max

Sweeeeet, can't wait for release to be a part of this! Regarding the people outside of FDM joining us ingame, I do think that they should belong to the forums, if only for informational purposes. Only so much can be conveyed ingame, and it'd make sure that nobody gets left out of upcoming news and whatnot. Then again, if they never check the forum the argument is pointless :)

Forum First!

I'm totally agreed on this, and this has been how all gaming policy for the last six years has been based. Activity, interest and devotion on these forums is telling. A history of written interactions is a great way to "know' and get to know someone. If FDM's members are special, this forum has a big part to play with it, and posts are the kind of diligence and "work" that helps us get the members we love.

Course Tier Two gaming here is more relaxed, there's no real rules for min number of posts, etc...but it's nice to see someone make their way here and meet up with where everything is based.

Great topic, I've been away for a wee bit, but getting ready for this game.

muhahaha!

:devil:

gogo

@Lujate : Do you plan on updating the first post with a few rules?

EDIT : Removed my link.

Max

Edited by Flooxim

I think we should wait until one or two days after the launch and see in which server we're going to settle. Then we'd need to check how many people we meet that actually want to join in our guild and then make the call about how strict/lax the joining rules should be.

Whatever the call, I think the intro page of Clan-DA that flooxim posted above is good and we should probably set up a new topic rather than extend to this one. The GW2 specific intro Q&A is also a good idea, but I think we can stick with the DarkMatters Tricky Questions

But this game is a wierd one to pin point with guilds, since players can belong to multiple guilds and we really can't insist on exclusivity... but Kiyeri's point is totally valid that it would be nice to add someone to the guild roster that you "clicked" with in-game. I dunno, guild and DM admin to make the final call. I suppose it's just as easy to get anyone kicked out of the guild as it is to join...

Max

Sure, as soon as we have some to post. ;)

I would guess that before we start working on rules and a recruiting policy, we need to decide what kind of guild we want. Both of those would be different for a 500 player army guild versus a Cheers guild "where everybody knows your name". I have not given these items much thought, because I did not anticipate the possibility that I would be the permanent guild leader.

You could ask for exclusivity in DM, but it would be to your own detriment. Specialty guilds that are only active for maybe 3-4 hours one day a week will pop up and people will want to join them. Also I know I am not the only one in DM that has other friends that are playing GW2 on other servers... don't we want to be able to join them? I have chosen to make FDM my MAIN guild, but I also want to be able to join others.

Re: if we ever become a mega alliance with say 500 people, keep in mind they are all split up into smaller different guilds allied together. They each have their own guild leaders (generally the guild is already successfully up and running when you invite them to join your alliance) and each can have a different focus addressing a different aspect of the game. Also you figure out of 25 people invited to a guild you will be lucky if you get 1 that stays and fits in well. MMO's are highly transient. That is why large guilds actively recruit constantly.

What really needs to be decide is what type of guild you want to be. Social, Beginner, End-Game, HC, Casual, Event, Dungeon... there are probably a hundred others that will pop up along the way. My suggestion would be to start out as a social guild... get your feet wet and then contemplate what direction is warranted. Plus we don't really know what end game is going to be like yet since they are still creating it. The guild will probably develop its own sense of direction.

My instinct tells me that DM will be a End-game Guild (one that does dungeons and events as well). That does not mean we cannot be social and casual as well. Why do I say this? Because the general feeling of all of DM boards on anything Sacred related are akin to HC End-gamers. Its what DM thrives on, figuring out builds and why they click, and what makes the game tick and how to tweak and twist to make them better. Most social or beginner guilds would tend to take like a year or to max even one character to level 80, want the most popular gear of the moment (but don't really know why it is the best), and careless if anyone could craft or not.

Now to my personal preference.... I would like to see FDM be a smallish group of around 20-30 active people that enjoy playing and doing stuff and have the capability of doing what ever the game has to offer within the guild.

Kiyeri, I agree with you about everything.

I know I'm going to take this game at a leisurely pace and just enjoy. I'll probably hasten the pace with 2nd and 3rd characters...

As lujate states in the opening post: "play the game with good people and have fun" - that's all I really want.

Now to my personal preference.... I would like to see FDM be a smallish group of around 20-30 active people that enjoy playing and doing stuff and have the capability of doing what ever the game has to offer within the guild.

This, this, and more this. How I also envision our guild to end up in the end. Great points too :thumbsup:

Max

Sure, as soon as we have some to post. ;)

I would guess that before we start working on rules and a recruiting policy, we need to decide what kind of guild we want. Both of those would be different for a 500 player army guild versus a Cheers guild "where everybody knows your name". I have not given these items much thought, because I did not anticipate the possibility that I would be the permanent guild leader.

Wanted to leave a quick note. I used the words "forum first" only as our motto for the building of the site. For a Tier Two game, here on FDM, this site is not necessarily an absolute requirement, depending on how you guild Admins want to run this.

We've had a few Tier Two games a few years back that ran quietly in the background of everything here at FDM with only their Team Captains having to give us info on what was happenign.

Course it's amazing if the FDM boards can be used, But it's not necessary if it's not, Tier 2 games can be as relaxed or as militant as you guys want.

Loving reading all the organization and insight into where this game will take us, I'm guilty to admit that for this one I'll be in game as a player, but just love reading about all this organization and ideas.

One way or another, it's all still good Ole FDM!

:agreed:

gogo

Loving reading all the organization and insight into where this game will take us, I'm guilty to admit that for this one I'll be in game as a player, but just love reading about all this organization and ideas.

Gogo, we're all players when it comes down to it and we will certainly love having your presence ingame with us :drinks: