Sacred 3 - Diablo 3 Killer

gogoblender

I didn't get to post on this yesterday with so much info going up... I wonder if this was in mind when they were designing this game? Diablo 3 is 4 player MP, Sacred's MP facility is looking to have gone on a diet to 4 as well?

Easier to host for the company, and to develop?

:)

gogo

I didn't try Diablo3 my own,but my daughters said allowing to re-distribute robs a lot of fun. No really reward in trying out strange builds from scratch, because everyone can reconfigure his char to a successful build?

No longer fun as when my first amazon after Diablo2 release decided to go with lances and everyone laughed and people would have lost time to start their own ones and mainly stuck to their old chars...

But how can Sacred3 be a killer if Diablo3 was never as healthy as Diablo or Diablo2, I rather think Diablo3 suffers from a selfmade illness more than from any killer games to come.

I didn't get to post on this yesterday with so much info going up... I wonder if this was in mind when they were designing this game? Diablo 3 is 4 player MP, Sacred's MP facility is looking to have gone on a diet to 4 as well?

Easier to host for the company, and to develop?

Probably simpler for the devs to develop it on the most restrictive machine, though we can only hope that the PC will be allowed to have >4 players in a game & have Closed servers as we had before.

Chattius has a point about D3 suffering from a "selfmade illness". It's like England winning a game of Football because the other team lost/played badly rather than us playing well. ;)

I didn't try Diablo3 my own,but my daughters said allowing to re-distribute robs a lot of fun. No really reward in trying out strange builds from scratch, because everyone can reconfigure his char to a successful build?

No longer fun as when my first amazon after Diablo2 release decided to go with lances and everyone laughed and people would have lost time to start their own ones and mainly stuck to their old chars...

Yes, but it is nice to be able to change what skills you're using on the fly. I do miss the "permanence" of previous games, but I also like the flexibility of the new system.

Too cocky?

gotta love our game's Kahunas... Go Sacred 3!

That's marketing/the magazine spewing their usual hyperbole doing their job to sell issues, drive interest in the game, etc.

I do miss the "permanence" of previous games, but I also like the flexibility of the new system.

I'm the exact same way on this! Because Diablo 3 had SO many beautiful skills per class, it seemed like I was not getting bothered by the what I was thinking I was going to get...lack of satisfaction from the game... because I kept getting new beautifully animated skills every level!

I wonder if Sacred 3 will go this way... loads of beautiful skills that are VERY distinct from one another?

Honestly, this was one of the big weaknesses in Sacred 2... the Combat Arts just weren't very magical looking, and yeah you could make choices to keep them different, but the distinction tween them is nothing like in Diablo 3.

:)

gogo

I greatly prefer something in between. There should always be an option to respec to be honest, so you can try different skills while levelling, correct either missclicks or flat out get a second chance if a patch screws up your current build. But on the other hand there really should be more permanency than seen in for example D3, as it really removes the feeling of trying to figure out an all-round build that can tackle different types of enemies and challenges, and then, when you choose, being forced to get the best out of your choices in all those different situations - choices that matter. When you can respec freely, it just feels like you can optimize for everything if you want to. Which is a lot less fun imo.

Hard balance to get right fore sure. In Sacred 2 it would have been just fine imo, if a respec had reset your Survival Bonus for instance. Making you able to respec essentially for free if you died and got the survival bonus reset anyway, but the cost could be substantial if you wanted to respec otherwise.

I cant imagine Keen Games adding something like Survival Bonus to Sacred 3 however, and they seem hell-bend on making it a Diablo 3 style respec anyway.

Edited by Shadout
  • Like! 1