Co-Optimus have their look at Sacred 3

Nervusbreakdown

We were told by the game's rep that they found a large part of the game was spent traveling from quest to quest and they wanted to remove that downtime. While Sacred 3 will still have towns for re-equipping an gaining quests, you'll never actually venture out from them it seems. Instead you'll just drop into a mission. This is a pretty radical departure for the series, one we can't help but feel will upset the fanbase quite a bit.

While it's still pretty early in development I couldn't help but get a "downloadable game" vibe from what we saw. It was almost like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light in a lot of ways.

Source

http://www.co-optimus.com/article/8871/sacred-3-eyes-on-impressions-from-pax-2012.html

If this game is anything like DS3, I will pass bigtime!

Why in the name of all things would you go out and change the format of the game that made it awesome?

This one killed it for me

The game was demoed on a PS3, and while we couldn't get our own hands on the controls, it was obvious that combat was a lot more arcade like.
Edited by Nervusbreakdown

Drop into a mission? oh yeah, I guess finding the quest location was way to hard.

This game is so dumbed down it almost makes me want to puke!

Edited by Spunky

To me it's kinda obvious what they're trying to do.

They want to be Guild Wars. They want to be Guild Wars sooo bad. From a marketroid standpoint I can see why. Guild Wars (2) is probably the hottest franchise in ARPG/Loot'em'up land since Diablo 3 has fallen out of favour.

The whole "drop into mission-based instances from a central town" design. That's Guild Wars. The "choose your skill loadout before entering a mission". That's a Guild Wars idea too.

The whole "characters based on cultures bit", that's probably Guild Wars 2 they're biting.

The problem with all of this (from Deep Silver's point of view) is: Why should people choose Sacred 3 over Guild Wars 2? What Unique Selling Proposition do they have now? What special sauce can save them from being a derivative also-ran?

The background fluff? Not really. They probably rolled their own mostly and dropped in a few hints from the older games to placate the long term fans. And to be honest what made the Sacred/Sacred 2 fluff seem good was how it was woven into the open world. The story itself was a mess.

Name recognition? Deep Silver ain't Blizzard. They don't have the organisational muscle to spam every Gamestop store with posters and buy the press. And neither Deep Silver nor Sacred are super-famous outside of Germany.

Also name recognition can be a double-edged sword. A lot of people got burned on the Diablo 3 hype and will probably not go rushing to the nearest store just because some familiar name with a new digit shows up.

2K got burned horribly trying to pass off some FPS as XCOM and had to backpedal and let Firaxis do a proper remake. A familiar name isn't the safe bet it used to be.

The art style? Looks damn similar to Diablo 3 to me.

We were told by the game's rep that they found a large part of the game was spent traveling from quest to quest and they wanted to remove that downtime. While Sacred 3 will still have towns for re-equipping an gaining quests, you'll never actually venture out from them it seems. Instead you'll just drop into a mission. This is a pretty radical departure for the series, one we can't help but feel will upset the fanbase quite a bit.

While it's still pretty early in development I couldn't help but get a "downloadable game" vibe from what we saw. It was almost like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light in a lot of ways.

Interesting I wasn't the only one who thought Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

Though I have a hard time imagining this will be as good. Since it might try to be half A-RPG (Sacred-like) and half Puzzle-game (Lara Croft-like), instead of just actually being good at one of the two.

They aren't even wrong that a large part of Sacred 2s game time was spent traveling to a quest, if you were doing quests. And for that reason alone I usually skipped quests as soon as I got bored of exactly that - which was within 5 minutes typically. It was simply more fun to run around exploring, instead of running from A to B in a quest which mostly had uninteresting story and content anyway.

The obvious solution to this problem, which was indeed a problem imo, was to make better quests. Quests that didnt ask you to run from A to B to do X etc. And just "slightly" less than 500+ quests, since quality would be preferable over quantity.

Instead they managed to conclude that the problem was having an open world you could explore. Which is of course a silly conclusion.

Edit: Funny thing about trying to be Guild Wars. Isn't Guild Wars 2 open world-ish? There certainly does seem to be a lot of similarities with GW1 however.

Edited by Shadout

Though I have a hard time imagining this will be as good. Since it might try to be half A-RPG (Sacred-like) and half Puzzle-game (Lara Croft-like), instead of just actually being good at one of the two.

Sounds like Darksiders II :twitch:

Interesting I wasn't the only one who thought Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

That was the absolute first thing I said during the presentation at gamescom and afterwards while talking to the producers. "It looks like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ..."

The travelling between quests is exactly what the game is about! My active quest list is huuuuuge because of this and I like it! Whenever I hit the road, I look to see where my active quests are and plan a route to the next town based on them. On this route, you pick up more quests and deviate a little from the original plan, only to run into more quests! That is what Sacred is to me. How else will you encounter mob upon mob upon mob and kill, kill, kill, and loot, loot, loooooot!! There is always that chance that this mob fight will drop that specific set/unique/legendary item you've been playing this game for hours on end.

And why purposefully upset the fanbase in this regard? If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Who's this "games rep" and how do we send a map of Ancaria with a big fat sad face to them?

Shadout

Funny thing about trying to be Guild Wars. Isn't Guild Wars 2 open world-ish? There certainly does seem to be a lot of similarities with GW1 however.

I dont have a problem is its trying to be Guild Wars 1, I loved that game, Im all for that then if that is the case.

I dont know, we going have to wait to see the videos that we all need to see.

I dont have a problem is its trying to be Guild Wars 1, I loved that game, Im all for that then if that is the case.

I dont know, we going have to wait to see the videos that we all need to see.

Guild Wars 1 and 2 are extremely well made game with a solid and unique design. The problem I see with the Sacred 3 team copying them is: "Why should I play/buy Sacred 3 instead of Guild Wars 1/2?". What will Sacred 3 have that Guild Wars does not?