Anyone able to run Guild Wars 2 highest settings well?

Hey guys!

Bug's starting to bite.... :oooo: I've been on and off with Schot's account since last night, He just went out and got a 7850, and the game's magical smooth...wanted to know some of the other set ups you guys are using? I'm wondering which part of my comp I should update next.

:)

gogo

Here is my setup:

The parts have started to arrive for my first DIY PC, and it occurred to me that I should probably asked for advice before making the order. I know my fair share about computer hardware in general, but virtually nothing about gaming PC's. It is too late to change the components now, but I would still like to hear your opinions.

I read what I could and put together a wish list ignoring price completely. I then uncovered the prices and cut what I had to meet my budget. Here is what I came up with:

• 850W power supply
  • Intel i7-960 3.2Ghz chip
  • Asus Sabertooth x58 motherboard
  • 12GB RAM
  • 120GB SSD*
  • 250GB HDD*
  • GeForce GTX570 graphics card

*-I know that does not seem like enough storage, but my current PC has two partitions on an 80GB drive and that works fine for me.

Thoughts?

I run on max settings and never have any trouble in PvE, even if the screen is so full of particle effects that I cannot see my avatar. I do sometimes see the FPS drop noticeably in WvW when in massively humongous zergs.

I am having heat issues with my system when I crank up my graphics to max.

The problem is not with the GPU but with the CPU overheating.

Intel Core i7 920

EVGA GTX 670 FTW

6 Meg Memory

Windows 7

2.3 TB in drive storage.

The GPU was only about 60C but the CPU was up in the mid 80s. Just not enough cooling on the CPU and that GPU is a monster.

Edit: I do get between 50 and 120 FPS, depending on the mob and number offellow players.

Edited by Wygram

4 year old pc here.

GW2 is cpu intensive.

I only have a Intel dual core2 E8500 3.16Ghz and it is at 100% usage while playing (no other background processes).

I also have an ATI HD6870 gpu that doesn't get stressed at all.

Settings are basically at medium/low and at times the fps can still go below 20.

I think the game really needs a good quad core more than a high end gpu..

I am having heat issues with my system when I crank up my graphics to max.

The problem is not with the GPU but with the CPU overheating.

Intel Core i7 920

EVGA GTX 670 FTW

6 Meg Memory

Windows 7

2.3 TB in drive storage.

The GPU was only about 60C but the CPU was up in the mid 80s. Just not enough cooling on the CPU and that GPU is a monster.

Edit: I do get between 50 and 120 FPS, depending on the mob and number offellow players.

Wygram, I think I read somewhere that these new Nvidia cards have an eternal fan to keep them cool but that it blows directly into the CPU cavity, The blog I read the guy said he installed an extra fan and it fixed the issue.

Wygram, I think I read somewhere that these new Nvidia cards have an eternal fan to keep them cool but that it blows directly into the CPU cavity, The blog I read the guy said he installed an extra fan and it fixed the issue.

Actually the fan ducts/blows directly out the back so the GPU stays cool, but the back plate radiates a good deal of heat over toward the CPU. I have a fan sucking it out (besides the CPU fan) but I think I might have to step the fan up or get a more powerful one. :o

I run with everything at Max... Its absolutely beautiful.

i7-3930 @ 3.2

Win7 64bit

16g ram

Nvidia GTX 690 (dell's replacement for 2x580's)

1TB SSD Hybrid

But I can tell you my computers fans kick in the minute I launch GW2, and my PC puts out a lot of heat. Between the triple digit weather and the heat from my PC I have had to turn up my AC on several occasions. I may have to turn down the settings once I get the electric bill :P

I run with everything at Max... Its absolutely beautiful.

i7-3930 @ 3.2

Win7 64bit

16g ram

Nvidia GTX 690 (dell's replacement for 2x580's)

1TB SSD Hybrid

But I can tell you my computers fans kick in the minute I launch GW2, and my PC puts out a lot of heat. Between the triple digit weather and the heat from my PC I have had to turn up my AC on several occasions. I may have to turn down the settings once I get the electric bill :P

K, I want max settings...it's just really hard to believe that so much beauty is available with so little lag... guess I'll have to break someone else's piggy bank

:devil:

gogo

Now here's a strange thing to keep in mind.

Someone in one of the many sites I visited trying to tweak the best graphic settings suggested raising the graphic options if your cpu is getting throttled in GW2.

Yep raise...not lower.

They did have an explanation why, but I forget now what it was. Something to do with by not selecting high graphics you actually cause the cpu rather than the gpu to handle a lot more calculations, but don't quote me.

I originally had GW2 set with medium/low graphics. Now while it was playable in the open areas with little activity (averaged about 40 fps), it struggled in towns and especially in mob fights.

Sometimes as low as 15fps.

So for the fun of it today I raised all settings to high (except shadows..left them at low as they really, really, give the fps a massive hit).

Amazingly the game suffered no loss at all with frame rates, in fact I now average 45fps in the open areas .

I was even caught up in a very intense mob fight with graphic mayhem and sparkles and kabooms and you name it going on.

It went no lower than 25fps whereas before it would have been a slide show.

So keep that in mind if like me you thought high settings were beyond your pc's capability.

Apparently if your graphic card is decent and your cpu is a bit lacking it's the way to go.