Ascalonian Catacombs (rematch) - 22 Sep 12

Here is an excerpt of what it says in the guide...

When you first find a dungeon, it’ll be set to

story mode. Your group has to complete the area

with the help of NPCs, making the experience

somewhat easier. Afterward, you can return to

that mode or set the dungeon to exploration

mode to see higher-level enemies and new areas

of the dungeon itself.

When going through each dungeon the first

time, ask everyone to set their skills for a high

amount of survivability and group support. With

more experience, you’ll learn when and where

to throw in faster killing and additional damage,

but simply surviving each fight is the best way to

go initially. Knockdowns, Stuns, Invulnerability,

healing, damage mitigation, and kiting skills are all

extremely useful in dungeons.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lujate, but I just noticed that you have yourself listed as the standby slot... I think it's only fair that you'd be in the 5 since you organized the 2nd run? I'd be happy to take the standby position.

Thanks Lujate, but I just noticed that you have yourself listed as the standby slot... I think it's only fair that you'd be in the 5 since you organized the 2nd run? I'd be happy to take the standby position.

If everyone shows up on Saturday, we can flip a coin or something.

I can't wait for that dungeon run (my first ever in the game :BlobRed:), but somehow I'm not as confident as I was earlier this week. I will hit level 50 in a few minutes, but I still can't afford the Second Training Manual which will allow me to put 20 points in Trait lines. I know this could represent a significant difference, and I hope my character won't suffer too much from that.

I put everything I plan on using for that run in a single bag, and I'm almost ready to go.

Max

Could always run it a second time... nonono im sorry what was I thinking, lol (unless you want to)

The time zone disparity makes consecutive runs problematic.

I can't wait for that dungeon run (my first ever in the game :BlobRed:), but somehow I'm not as confident as I was earlier this week. I will hit level 50 in a few minutes, but I still can't afford the Second Training Manual which will allow me to put 20 points in Trait lines. I know this could represent a significant difference, and I hope my character won't suffer too much from that.

I put everything I plan on using for that run in a single bag, and I'm almost ready to go.

Max

I am not sure how much difference one trait point would make.

I am sure we could loan you the money, but I am also sure you would decline the offer. If you are close to having enough coin, do you have any low level mats you do not need right now? Just make sure and save enough for the inevitable repair costs.

If you are close to having enough coin, do you have any low level mats you do not need right now? Just make sure and save enough for the inevitable repair costs.

I got only 54 silver so far. But I'll somehow find a way to collect the required money to purchase things by myself.

EDIT : Here's a guide I found about the encounters in the dungeon. It's not really useful since you already went through all of it once, but I want to share it with you anyway :

Here's the original topic for the guide, and thanks to the players who helped building it.

Ascalon Catacombs Storymode

Disclaimer: I have only ran this few times. Naturally I don't claim to know everything (including enemy attacks, what can be skipped, etc.). So keep the info coming! Depending how this works out I might do this for other dungeons.

NmyME.jpg

General-guidelines:

Level: 30. Length: Medium.

Revive or assist downed people with their rally as fast as possible.

Assign caller to call targets and to open coffins. Most fights will be trivial once you get at least one opponent down! (or just start calling by yourself)

Respawn as soon as you get defeated. Unless the fight is almost over your teammates won't have the time to get you up.

Repair as often as you can. Sometimes you need to keep running back the fight (for example to prevent bosses from resetting).

Try to push enemies together for better Area of Effect damage.

Try to pull one or two enemies from bigger groups (especially if you wipe on that group).

Don't hesitate to fall back if you pull or aggro too much.

1) Coffins:

Trigger and kill pop-ups (blue spots).

One person (caller) opens coffins one by one until boss spawns.

- Don't open coffins mid-fight (when looting).

Mini-boss spawns with another enemy, focus that enemy first.

- High melee damage: slow single-target knockdown, fast Area of Effect knockdown

2)

First two enemies: pull from spike traps.

- Spike traps can be disable by pulling lever.

Next three enemies: attempt to split group by pulling.

- Don't cluster up in the corridor.

Last three enemies: pull Warrior first.

3) Spike-room:

Disable traps (2 - 3 hits kills you).

- Wait for circles to vanish and dodge when necessary.

Mini-boss: moderate damage, mainly ranged attacks and melee knockback.

4) Fire-room:

Dodge first flamethrower (high damage, can be disabled later).

Destroy fire-spitters (poor damage but burning).

Attack rangers after destroying all spitters.

5)

Smash gravelings (trivial)!

Next three enemies can be a problem, unsure whether they can be split by pulling.

Mini-boss is similar to the first one.

!) Troll alert!

You may get attacked by a cave troll (melee knockdowns).

6) King-room:

Approach the NPC until he starts talking, fall back to stairs.

Stay ranged and destroy 15 weak enemies.

- Slowly fall back to prevent getting overwhelmed.

After clearing the room finish off the mini-boss (similar to the first one).

7) Ranger-boss:

First kill two enemies (avoid the patrol on stairs).

Next three rangers can be a problem (maybe abusing line of sight?).

Ranger-boss: dodge Area of Effect shots.

!) Troll alert!

8) Necromancer-boss:

Attempt to avoid light-blue spots.

Smash gravelings!

Kill two necromancers.

Necromancer-boss: dodge condition-wells.

9) Mesmer- & Elementalist-bosses

Split up. Three players focus Elementalist while other two "take care" of Mesmer.

- "Take care" means spamming boulders (once Mesmer has reached the wall one player can keep him down).

10) Final boss:

Pulls in: Dodge back.

Area of Effect circle: Sick damage, dodge.

Fast ranged attack: Dodge or heal (this attack can actually kill you if he does it often).

Max

Edited by Flooxim

Well, that went a lot better than last time. Success in 1 hour 38 minutes, with a lot fewer deaths. I hope I was not too authoritative. :)

We had 6 people and only 5 slots. All 4 of the people from last week volunteered to give up their spot. In the end Wygram stepped forward. He claimed technical difficulties, but I think he was just being a gentleman. :thumbsup:

Well, that went a lot better than last time. Success in 1 hour 38 minutes, with a lot fewer deaths. I hope I was not too authoritative. :)

We had 6 people and only 5 slots. All 4 of the people from last week volunteered to give up their spot. In the end Wygram stepped forward. He claimed technical difficulties, but I think he was just being a gentleman. :thumbsup:

Actually I had lost network connection three times in the previous 30 minutes before we were going in, so the tech problems were real.

I will never claim to be a gentleman, I have no tact and as a former Senior NCO that rules out the gentleman bit. But thanks anyway.. :drunkards:

Yea it went great! It was my very first dungeon run with synchronized group and it was lots of fun. I think my character got defeated 9-10 times, I expected my death count to be somewhere around that.

I started the run with 87.7 silver. I ended up with 130.4 silver. It costed me 6.5 silver to reapir, for an overall profit of 36.2 silver, plus a yellow item, a few greens, several blues, and some glittering dust.

Not bad, I can't wait for more dungeon runs!:BlobRed:

Max

Edited by Flooxim

I'd like to thank everyone for the run. Second time I did story mode AC and it went great even though we died a few times. I guess you can't avoid that. Sorry about my mic problems, I hope it's fixed now.

Yeah this run was nice! Thanks for playing everyone! When we started with the final bosses, it was bath time for the kids and they did not want to cooperate... :sweating: A lot of yelling and door slamming later and suddenly I found myself in the dog box because I could not help out. Sorry for leaving immediately after the run, because I would have loved sticking around for some more party action, but I had to try and mend my wife's anger :tomato:

Now I have to be a seriously good husband for a few days so that I can sweet talk my way into next weekends dungeon run :agreed::whistle:

but I had to try and mend my wife's anger :tomato:

Now I have to be a seriously good husband for a few days so that I can sweet talk my way into next weekends dungeon run :agreed::whistle:

I know that feeling - been there got the shirt. :cha (18):

Great videos so far! You are pretty much showing how well the run has been.

This second run was like night and day different from the first.

Here is the final video. It looks like I did not get all our dialog removed. It is faint and I do not think it is a problem. If anyone objects, I will pull the video down.