Data on your phone... you guys got it?

gogoblender

I still don't have it yet! As much as I'm addicted to the magic of data, I'm so addicted to the outrageous great low price of a just tex/n talk prepaid phoning...but lately the call of data has been getting stronger, and Rogers/Fido has some great deals out with data for about 40.00.

Any of you guys still holding out, or have y'all given into the Data Side? If so, what are you finding it mostly useful for?

:starwars:

gogo

Gave up on the prepaids couple of years ago. They were just too expensive for my usage, being as talkative as I am. Or at least was until I got sick on the summer... But that's another story.

So, I've been using a telephone subscription with mobile data for those couple of years. Been handy many times. I usually check bunch of stuff with phone when on the move. Even paid some bills with a web bank applet, when normal browser-one has been malfunctioning. Seriously, I guess I wouldn't get by without it nowadays. :P

And quite cheap, actually. At least here. About 3-4€ per month. Only 512kbs, but that's enough for mobile. At least for me. There are pricier options, but seeing my bill is around 30-40€ per month with phone and all, I try to snip away where ever I can.

I had a smartphone thru work for about 9 months. Other than work emails, I'd say most of my data use was "convenience". A number of times I'd stop and make myself walk to a nearby PC and use a real web browser instead looking at the tiny screen.

On my current phone, I only use wifi internet. I sometimes put a note in my phone's calendar to remember to look something up later. I haven't found anything I'm missing out on that's worth $30-$40 per month.

If I had a busier life, maybe I could justify a data plan. But not now.

I've had a smartphone of some type for the last 3 years or so and have used mobile data on them the whole time. Its great for me for getting through a long commute to and from uni along with any other random browsing I do. And even though we have wifi at home, the speeds I get are only 1.5Mbps on that versus 5-10Mbps on my phone, so I usually don't even bother using wifi if its just a random google of something. Beyond that it keeps me synced with email for uni (and personal), facebook (less important) and even messaging/calling services like viber or whatsapp which allow you to message/call any friends with the app using data instead of SMS which is alot cheaper.

While I was looking at getting a phone in my new apartment, I decided to just get a cellphone, due to the costs. Sure, montly plans are about $40 (CDN) per month, landline or cellphone... each provider has their own 'deal' or whatever. After a little digging around, I found that Wind Mobile is just awesome for what you pay - $40 for unlimited local, LD (north america, IIRC), as well as unlimited data! Thier up-front pricing policy is pretty good, only 1 or 2 "extra" charges in the 3 months I have had it (about 1 or 2 bux each). The only catch to the unlimited data is that if you go over a certian usage, they do throttle your speed.

So, as far as teh 'major' carriers in Canada, you should check out Wind, Gogo... my roomie has prepaid plan (with Rogers), but it costs $1 a day for unlimited texting, and for $10 more a month, I get unlimited calling AND data!

Their major downside is that "their" network is pretty much limited to major urban areas... so you do need to watch your usage when on the road, etc.

Dragon: Nearly forgot about whatsapp. Very neat little program there. :) Been using it for some time and very satisfied with it. No need for SMS with friend who have it.

essjayehm: Guess there's some benefits in living a small country like Finland. We only have 3 major operators and nowadays they work almost wherever one goes. Possibly not counting some farther reaches of Lapland or something.