Windows 8 for 40 bux!

gogoblender

Well, to be frank, it's gawdawful in my books. Never going to use it myself. Pure Windows 7 as long as it's all good and kicking.

The interface just isn't for tabletop use and because of the looks I'm going to steer away from all mobile products with either Eight or WP. Personally can't seem to stomach them no matter what. Android's the way for me. :whistle:

But if one finds it comfy and all, then by all means, that's really cheapo for M$-product. :)

I don't plan on buying another operating system as long as I live (65 now). At least until I can no longer load my OEM Win 7 discs.

I do not like the look of that sucker at all. Too cartoonie.

yeah stay far away from W8 and stick to W7 sm-thumbs-up.gif

as smart as the guys at MS prob is its strange that they dont see that W8 is going to be a flopp (kinda fun with a touch screen but you get annoyed after a few days) shrug.gif

post-71242-1129504106.gif

I've got to say I like it. I got a copy for free through my university/microsofts student program and really do like it. The metro interface (not really called that anymore but I don't know what else to call it....) is handy for giving a quick snapshot of info through the live tiles I.e. email, news, weather, time, sport scores and so on and if you really don't like it it takes one click to get to the desktop which is exactly the same as before without the start button. It runs very smoothly, boot times are amazing compared to win7/vista and some of the new features that come with the metro aspect I find useful.

Well, to be frank, it's gawdawful in my books. Never going to use it myself. Pure Windows 7 as long as it's all good and kicking.

The interface just isn't for tabletop use and because of the looks I'm going to steer away from all mobile products with either Eight or WP. Personally can't seem to stomach them no matter what. Android's the way for me. :whistle:

But if one finds it comfy and all, then by all means, that's really cheapo for M$-product. :)

I was wondering about that as well, how much I would like all of it as I don't have a tablet yet...yet! And it's going to be a tossup tween android and windows..... but I've seen the mobile OS on Lumia at stores, and it looks and acts so smart.

I don't plan on buying another operating system as long as I live (65 now). At least until I can no longer load my OEM Win 7 discs.

I do not like the look of that sucker at all. Too cartoonie.

It is cartoony! lol, anyone remember Bob?

I never had it, but have heard...lots :P

bobboot1.gif

yeah stay far away from W8 and stick to W7 sm-thumbs-up.gif

as smart as the guys at MS prob is its strange that they dont see that W8 is going to be a flopp (kinda fun with a touch screen but you get annoyed after a few days) shrug.gif

post-71242-1129504106.gif

This is their big come back BHJ, I remember tons of windows flops, but always remember reading when xbox 360 was being release, the amount of genius that went into it, and the platform was a brilliant success... maybe this way too?

I've got to say I like it. I got a copy for free through my university/microsofts student program and really do like it. The metro interface (not really called that anymore but I don't know what else to call it....) is handy for giving a quick snapshot of info through the live tiles I.e. email, news, weather, time, sport scores and so on and if you really don't like it it takes one click to get to the desktop which is exactly the same as before without the start button. It runs very smoothly, boot times are amazing compared to win7/vista and some of the new features that come with the metro aspect I find useful.

Yes, a review! Me and Schot are lucky, we can kind of get to use the same software on both our comps... and at 40.00 for this download, this is a sweet offer ...about twenty bux each? It's even making me consider getting a tablet.

:)

gogo

How about "The Interface formerly known as 'Metro'"? Sorta like Prince during his anti-social days..

FWIW, Windows 8 is still Windows. There are a number of changes, yes, that's true. But essentially, it's still Windows 7 for the most part.

A bit of irony... Back when Windows Vista and 7 were released there was a LOT of moaning, groaning and gnashing of teeth about how the start menu removed the fly-out bits so it was "harder" to find stuff. So Microsoft fixes this by using the Interface formerly known as 'Metro' which lays out each application/program/app in such a way so it's easy to find. And once again, there is much in the way of moaning, groaning and gnashing of teeth. Guess some people are just impossible to please.

For the record, I've been using 8 since the first 'beta' and I find it does 99.999% of what I need it to do and does it remarkably well.

And for anyone who thinks it's ONLY for tablets - it works just fine on a desktop. Just point and click with the mouse or use the keyboard where appropriate. You don't NEED a touch screen to make use of the OS. I've made do without one for the 7 odd months I've been using 8 and honestly, never felt the urge go rush out and get one. It's simply not mandatory.

And yes, Sacred 2 will run on Win 8... My issues, I think, have come about from other sources - namely possibly corrupt files. I did manage to install the base game, however, was unable to patch it beyond 2.31. The 2.34 patch introduced a file integrity check that made the update impossible to install. So I'm thinking there's something going on with the original files. It should be noted I was unable to install Sacred 2 on another hard drive that was running Vista... So... I'm guessing there's an issue with the downloaded installation files somewhere.

This is their big come back BHJ, I remember tons of windows flops, but always remember reading when xbox 360 was being release, the amount of genius that went into it, and the platform was a brilliant success... maybe this way too?

gogo

Er.. Big comeback? From what? Windows 7 has been a BIG success...

Yes, Vista had it's issues, mostly vendors who got a bit carried away with installing every bit of crapware they could get paid to install on systems. I recall looking at someone's brand new Vista laptop that had at least 50 items loading on boot in the system tray. That included at least 2 antivirus trial apps (McAfee AND Norton...) Anyone who knows anything about AV programs knows that's a REALLY BAD thing to do. Loading that much junk at the same time will bring ANY system to it's knees - be it running XP, Vista, 7 or 8. I think it would likely kill any system running older versions of Windows (such as 2000, Win 98, etc...)

Of course, people assumed it was all Microsoft's fault - not the vendor's and Vista's reputation was sullied.

As to WHY vendors were allowed to get away with these shenanigans - Vista was the first major release of Windows since the DOJ rulings on Microsoft. As such, Vendors felt they were better equipped to decide how to market their systems. Vendors decided to add value (to their bottom line) by installing any and all bits of useless fluff they could get away with and get paid for by the crapware vendors. Never mind, it made their systems look bad - and it lost them a lot of sales. Fortunately, this practice is no longer quite so overwhelmingly prevalent. The vendors learned their lessons.

And btw.. A clean, fresh installation of Vista, with service packs and patches installed runs just fine on most systems that meet or exceed the system requirements. It's only a few percent slower than XP. I suppose you could call Vista - Windows in it's Fat Elvis years. It's good thing then, that Microsoft put Windows on a diet for Windows 7.

Beyond Vista, there really haven't been much in the way of Windows flops - other than Windows ME. And in all fairness, ME wasn't all that bad. It was the end of the Windows-over-MS DOS product line and as such, it disabled access to the COMMAND prompt from boot. But as such, I never really had much in the way of issues with it - other than the time my ME test box got infected with some virus or other. It took like 8 hours to boot to the desktop until I got rid of the infection. Once that was done, it ran perfectly fine on the boat anchor box I had it installed on... I've also known people who've used ME for years until they got to the point where they needed to upgrade their OS - simply because the software they were using was no longer supported on Win ME.

So in reality, even though a couple of versions of Windows got a bad rep - they really weren't as bad as people made them out to be.

Edited by wolfie2kX

Windows8 focus seems to be making your pc act like a mobile phone or iPad/iPod or some such device.

As none of those items holds any interest to me, neither does Windows8.

I would only consider installing another OS if it was to benefit my pc gaming experience.

As Windows8 does not currently offer any improvement over Windows7 in that respect I wont be going down that road in any hurry.

Windows8 focus seems to be making your pc act like a mobile phone or iPad/iPod or some such device.

As none of those items holds any interest to me, neither does Windows8.

I would only consider installing another OS if it was to benefit my pc gaming experience.

As Windows8 does not currently offer any improvement over Windows7 in that respect I wont be going down that road in any hurry.

Wash your mouth out with soap! :D

Windows 8's interface is NOTHING at all like the one from an iPad/iPod or other iOS device!

Windows 8 does, however, use a similar interface to the one used by the Windows Phone interface. The idea is to make ONE common interface between mobile and not so mobile devices. Learn one and you can do it all.

But to say Win 8 doesn't offer ANYTHING isn't quite right either - it IS faster than previous versions of Windows - even Win 7. It also comes bundled with the new Windows Defender - which now includes the features of Microsoft Security Essentials - so you don't need to buy, install and hassle with another antivirus product that will sap the life out of your system.

But hey, if you're happy with what you've got - by all means.

hehe well in my opinion the best place for W8 is on a shelf in some store :tongue:

W7 is the best one out there and in gen the best windows since xp (and vista :evil: the worst one this OS gave me quite a few gray hairs ) :oooo:

as for ME it was better the 98/98SE so I was happy at the time :)

:viking:

it IS faster than previous versions of Windows - even Win 7.

Sorry cant let that one go without a comment :P

I have seen benchmark results with pc games posted on the net comparing Win7 and 8.

While some indeed do have a slight increase in fps, some also have a better result with Win7.

As a gamer that is all I care about and the games that had an increase in Win8 I don't play.

Whether it opens my MS Word document a second or two faster doesn't faze me at all. ;)

edit:

But I do stand corrected on the comparison error I made between Win8 and iPads and iPods and similar gadgets.

Those things all look alike to me.

My mobile is the cheapest, simplest one they had, in fact I only have one so my wife can ring me to tell me what to bring home from the shops.

I am very much a complete dinosaur with mobile phones and humbly bow to your better knowledge. :)

Edited by stubbie
  • 2 months later...

I finally installed it. Hmmm, it's really cool looking, but Windows 7 was pretty awesome for just being so fast to get to stuff... god bless the start button... oh lordy, why take it away...

And here's something... how come when we do a search it defaults at App search? I mean... why would a search function expect us to know which of three categories to run the search in before searching... ?

It's kinda like a step back, like Yahoo style.

Windows 7 search would just search EVERYTHING on your comp when you inputted something.

Anyone know if there's any way to do this with windows 8?

gogo

Don't know for sure, Gogo... Only place I've used it littl more was when I got everything in order for a neighbour's laptop. That made me quite positive to steer away from it. Doesn't just click the right way for me.

I'm sure someone knows, though, if possible at all. :)

I finally installed it. Hmmm, it's really cool looking, but Windows 7 was pretty awesome for just being so fast to get to stuff... god bless the start button... oh lordy, why take it away...

And here's something... how come when we do a search it defaults at App search? I mean... why would a search function expect us to know which of three categories to run the search in before searching... ?

It's kinda like a step back, like Yahoo style.

Windows 7 search would just search EVERYTHING on your comp when you inputted something.

Anyone know if there's any way to do this with windows 8?

gogo

Well, if you bring up the 'metro' interface from the desktop (press windows key) and start typing it searches automatically and while it only displays the app results you can select the files section with the mouse easily or use the arrow keys to scroll down between apps, settings and files.

Schot just created a power off short cut

Woo hoo

gogo

p.s. DB, im getting used to the switching now, but it would be nice if I could find a way to have it default to files instead of apps...seems to me like a files search always finds what I want...like it's the larger category>?

Juha, lol, I know what you mean about sides, I keep getting which way to "swipe" to do stuff mixed up, but slowly getting the hang of it, I hope :P

p.s.s. just found out this price won't be this forever, only a quick special?

p.s.s. just found out this price won't be this forever, only a quick special?

Yeah.. Microsoft does this sort of thing pretty much EVERY time they release an OS - I got my Windows 7 Pro back in the day through one of those specials when it was released. It was something like $99 (instead of $199) for the upgrade.

I think this special's only for a few months, after that, it's going to be more than 60 bux, not sure of the date when the pricing changes.

gogo

That's an easy one.. The price is good till Jan 31st. It goes up Feb 1st. This is about as official as it gets - come straight from the proverbial horses um.. mouth.. Yeah.. That's it.. mouth.. :D

Google to the rescue, winkey + F gives search with files selected. It doesn't display results in real time, but does what you want I think...

PS. Gogo...I don't suppose you've been messing with the post counts while we've been away have you? 24k seems a little excessive, even for you!! :P

hahaha, post count... I don't think I added any more unless I've been sleep-posting? :4rofl:

For the search on Windows 8, I actually use that command, but , and maybe this is nit picking, it's too bad that we have to actually make a choice of the letter after pressing the window key?

For example, if you just press window and type in letters, it will instantly manifest as a search...but in aps!

It would have been cooler if, after pressing Window key and just typing in a word, it would have just enterered the search as a "general" search (kind of like it does in Windows 7) instead of putting it into Aps.

For me, it would be cool if I could choose the default for this kind of search that occurs only after you choose window then input word between files, apps or settings...but I've looked all over the net, and I've seen no fix

:blink:

gogo

True, ti's not that bad...im just curious about the logic here... why add the extra key to refine a search when the old windows could just search your entire computer after one button?

It's like I have to pause and think now what kind of search I want to perform...whereas before, I just pressed start and entered a word, and windows would find it for me lickety split!

:dance:

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm, it's mostly the search for windows 8 which is so weird for me..dunno why I have to know which category I have to know first to search within , when in windows 7 I could just enter anything in the search bar, and it would automatically bring me results.

Better/easier search experience, no advance knowledge needed :P

Spritzen, I looked at the Start8...does it help with the search?

gogo