High elf Melee

Brianwulf

Hi, hows it going darkmatters? I was wondering, knowing that tactics lore has no effect on magic coup at all, if I wanted to make a melee sword wieldiing high elf, is it worth it for the extra damage on regular attacks, or should I take something like damage lore? OH wait, here is skill list

1.Delphic lore

2.Sword Weapons

3.concentration

4.Armor Lore

5.Shield Lore

6.Delphic Focus

7.Mystic Stormite focus

8.constitution

9.Mystic Stormite Lore

10.?

I would make the final skill Combat Discipline. I also think that considering that 1)Magic Coup uses casting speed and 2)regen per hit can get Magic Coup instantly regenerated, you would probably find yourself just laying on the right mouse button slaying enemies that way rather than using regular left click attacks.

Since you wouldn't be using left click attacks, I would drop Sword Lore. The only benefit to your Magic Coup is a small amount of attack rating that you can easily make up. In its place I would take Spell Resistance.

If you decide to try to use your left click melee attacks, then take Tactics Lore instead of Combat Discipline.

Well, I figured I would get this advice from a few people,and it is appreciated, but the thing is, I want to be able to use left click attacks effectively. I also like the secondary effects from sword weapons. Another thing is that I will be using at least raging nimbus pretty heavily, so even though this IS a coup build, It wont be my only form of attack. I have another thing I want to say, but its late, and I cant remember it, I'm quite sure ut was very smart, and would have made a lot of sense, but that doesn't matter if I don't know what it was so, moving on. The last thing I can remember I wanted to say. While I know that combat discipline is highly awesome and very useful, the problem is that I don't really like to use combos, so thats why I don't generally take combat discipline. I do enjoy hearing as many points of view as possible though, so keep it coming, and all advice is appreciated, even if I don't necessarily use it. :P

It is sadly a question of gear...

As a melee elf you want to be fast. So if your gear has enough run speed already, good. If not speed-lore is an option - even it shows no direct boost to damage, freeing slots from run speed stuff and allowing to boost damage with socketing x-x rings to raise base damage for magic coup (and left clicks) is nice. Also for left clicks, if you use a weapon with native cold damage it wins damage% from buff.

If you play CM-patch and want a hybrid - maybe raising its combat art range is nice. In this case it would be rather staff (nlovae) as weapon and no shield lore because the only shield giving combat art range wins nothing from shield lore. But combat art range special builds shine only if you plan to move your character to niob.

Most melee-elf guides (especially mine) were made before CM-patch appeared, so the new sets, sigils and trophies are not in.

Well, I'm currently running V 2.40. I don't have ice & Blood, and 2.43 did some weird stuff that I couldn't fix, so I reinstalled to 2.40. With that said, here is another question, how does the defense boost from shield lore work with the bonus from speed lore? Because I read somewhere that the speed lore boost was a % and not a base number. Also, would damage lore be a good option? I've also read that damage lore works for secondary effect on spells, I will be using cobalt strike a lot as well as raging nimbus, So I've been wondering about that, though I'm not sure that there is a secondary effect for nimbus.

Edit. If you use a special mount, is the riding skill necessary to unlock any abilities?

Edited by Brianwulf

2.40 was before regeneration per hit was fixed? Well that would indeed mean left clicks a consideration.

Shield lore and speed lore give only x% defense bonus. But there are yellow shields which have a BASE defense bonus which is unlocked and scalable with shield lore. Around 800 base defense bonus I think at gold difficulty.

Riding just lessens the impact that riding has on your combat art regeneration, and at some point actually starts reducing CA regens while mounted.

Riding skill is not needed to 'unlock' anything per se.

I recommended Combat Discipline because it increases the damage of all your combat arts, even if they're not in a combo. Also, you can put single combat arts into a combo and get reduced regen time. It's a great skill.

If you want to use left click melee attacks, that's cool, I'm not discouraging that, but take Tactic Lore if you are going to do that. Big increase in damage and critical hits, this is not to be overlooked!

• 2 years later...

I got a question regarding MC. Nevertheless sry for necroing this thread.

Anyways, I think I noticed, that as an hybrid CA even though MC execution (attack) speed is raised by faster cast speed the initial execution (attack) speed is based on the kind of weapon one uses. For example with a polearm MC hits are kinda slow, maybe once per second, however, with a fist weapon it appears to be visible faster, maybe somwhat double the speed (2 hits/s).

1. Can anyone fonfirm this?

2. And if so, would you recommend a slow weapon or a fast one + shield?

3. In consideration to that, is there a max execution (attack) speed? Is it the same for every kind of weapon, like 4 hits/second or smth like that?

4. And lastly is +% cast speed capped and if which amount is the cap?

In advance, thx for your trouble answering this. :]

KR

• Like! 1

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Attack_Speed

At the bottom of the page - Innate Weapon Attack Animation Speeds.

In terms of weapon just go for the ones listed in most guides (*cough* Officers sabres). Having a slighly quicker weapon isn't much use if it has less sockets and base damage.

AFAIK attack speed cap is 150% max 170 with frenetic fervour. Check the wiki for more info.

Apologies for no replies, I thought Chattius or a mod would answer. Been playing original Sacred :)

• Like! 1

I am busy with forest work currently :(

Slow weapon vs fast weapon ....

Early in the game your main base damage comes from your weapon. Later about half of it is in 'x-x damage' rings. The rings change from 1-1 in early bronze to 48-48 in high niob levels. They damage rings change in a way higher climbuing curve than the damage from weapons.

So since a weapon skill is really not needed, feel free to use whatever you like. Personally I would start with a polearm weapon and probably end with a nlovae staff with some more +ca-range in a shield. But it is mainly that I want a high radius debuff combat art and often I play hybrid style with snow storms. And they are nice offensivly and defensely if having a better radius.

The wiki doesn't have much on casting speed.

For Magic coup casting speed isn't an issue as long as you put points in the lore and use +skills. Use damage x-x rings like chattius said and use as many grand invigoration runes as you can. Magic coup is one of the strongest combat arts IMO. Casting speed is way less of an issue than regen. It's nice to have but with a few exceptions (e.g. CM and Levin array for an Inquisitor) it's not a priority.