GW2 Game Performance Tweak for High End Video Cards

I am posting this from personal experience. It seems ever since the Halloween Event went away I was getting random Crashes and Freezing. I even got a few error codes that GW2 doesn't have on their list. It was so frustrating. If it wern't for you FDM'ers I am sure I would have stopped playing until it was fixed. A few days ago I started filing bug reports (both ingame and on support) everytime I was kicked.

It seems Anet is aware that some of their players are experienceing this issure, they are unsure as to why and are looking into it. Although, I was directed to a possible fix by Anet which I have posted below. While only time can tell if this works long term, the one day I have played with these changes has been successful. I also don't see that much of a change in the games appearance.

https://forum-en.gui...-based-issues-1

As previously mentioned we are still looking into performance and low framerate issues that some players are experiencing despite having a system that exceeds the minimum requirements (
).

If this is affecting you, we would like to recommend the following suggestions:

First, please make sure you have the latest Service Pack for Windows. Depending on which operating system you have, the latest version will vary:

7 = Service Pack 1

Vista = Service Pack 2

XP = Service Pack 3

You can check this by typing “Windows Update” in the “Search” bar of your “Start” menu. Please be sure to download all critical and important updates.

Next, make sure that you have the latest video card drivers from your video card manufacturer (AMD, Nvidia, Intel). The websites in the links provided below have an auto-detect feature which will detect your graphics card and operating system and will locate the most recent driver for you.

AMD autodetect:

Nvidia Autodetect:

Intel Autodetect:

Please note that both AMD and Nvidia have Beta drivers that you can install to see if these have any effect on your performance.

In addition, one of the many causes for low performance with high end graphics cards is that their PCi-Express GPU is plugged into a 1x|4x slot rather than a 16x slot. For players who have recently upgraded their video cards, we recommend ensuring that the GPU is plugged into the proper PCi-Express slot for maximum performance.

If you have an AMD or Nvidia graphics card, please see below for additional settings that you can try to tweak for improved performance:

For AMD cards:

1. Right-click on your desktop and select “Catalyst Control Center.”

2. Select “Preferences” and left-click “Advanced mode.”

3. Click the “Gaming” tab on left.

4. Select “3D Application Settings.”

5. Under the heading “Anti-Aliasing” checkmark “Use application settings” but do not check “Morphological filtering.”

6. Under the heading “Anisotropic filter” checkmark “Use application settings.”

7. Under the heading “Tessellation” checkmark “AMD Optimized.”

8. Under the heading “Catalyst A.I.” move the slider to “Performance.”

9. Under the heading “Wait for vertical sync” move the slider to “On, unless application specifies.”

10. Under the heading “Anti-Aliasing Mode” move the slider to “Performance.”

11. Click “Apply” to save these changes.

12. Start Guild Wars 2.

Once loaded, access the “Graphic Options” window and make the following changes:

1. Change “Refresh Rate” to “60 Hz”

2. Change “Frame Limiter” to “60.”

3. Change “Reflections” to “None.”

4. Change “Render Sampling” to “Native.”

5. Enable “Vertical Sync” at the bottom.

For Nvidia cards:

1. Right-click on your desktop and select “Nvidia Control Panel.”

2. Once opened, left-click on “3D settings” and select “Adjust image settings with preview.”

3. Select “Use my preference emphasizing” and move the slider to “Performance.”

4. Select “Use the advanced 3D image settings” and left click on “Take me there.”

This should take you to the “Manage 3D Settings” window. Once here:

5. Change “Power Management mode” to “Prefer maximum performance.”

6. Change “Multi-display/mixed GPU acceleration” to “Single display performance mode.”

7. Change “Vertical Sync” to “Use the 3D application settings.”

8. Click “Apply” to save these changes.

9. Start Guild Wars 2.

Once loaded, access the “Graphic Options” window and make the following changes:

1. Change “Refresh Rate” to “60 Hz.”

2. Change “Frame Limiter” to “60.”

3. Change “Reflections” to “None.”

4. Change “Render Sampling” to “Supersample” then back to “Native.”

5. Enable “Vertical Sync” at the bottom.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that my CPU usage has dropped since I changed the Settings on my graphics card (I already use the latest betas) from an average of 50-53% usage to 18-20%.

Edited by Kiyeri
  • Like! 1

Thanks Kiy, I've made the recommended adjustments but will test tonight. Although I'm doubtful that I'll get any significant performance increase, I'm still hoping that frame rates will stabilise a little.

Just a note for AMD users: I was unable for a long time to use the game's "Native" render sampling mode. This option would cause all graphics to result in a weird black-ish screen. The “Anti-Aliasing” checkmark “Use application settings” setting fixed this.

EDIT: Later that night... OH WOW!! These few tips boosted my FPS by about 20fps! (that is unless Anet suddenly did some more optimization). But I can now increase the gfx by a substantial amount and still be able to play at more than 25fps. Time to head over to WvW and see what happens!

Edited by Scleameth

Glad it help you some Ed.

Just a note for AMD users: I was unable for a long time to use the game's "Native" render sampling mode. This option would cause all graphics to result in a weird black-ish screen. The “Anti-Aliasing” checkmark “Use application settings” setting fixed this.

FYI: you have to be in full screen to make these changes. For some reason if you are in windowed your not allowed to make some of them.

• 3 years later...

I've just made an account to thank you for this tweak. It worked very well on my R9 380.

Thanks for join up just to write this post. I remember playing with Kiyeri when the game came out, she always had terrific ideas and tips for the game. And was terrific motivator to keep pushing to greater game achievements.

And welcome to DarkMatters Pascu!

:)

gogo