Sophia's Choice...

Good ol' hooch cures many problems. On the flipside, can cause problems as well. Hope the area doesnt have direct side effects.

Another solid read. Thank You!

I remain, :drunkards:

In today's installment, Sophia's got to deal with TARA again... And it just goes to show you - even Ancarian computers can have problems! :D

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
The Still

Sophia arrived on Seraphim Island just as dawn was threatening to break. She made her way up the path to the tower and beyond to the Armory. She knocked on the door and Suki answered sleepily.

“Good morning, my queen.” Suki said wearily.

“Good morning, Suki. Are Karem and Smitty in?” Sophia replied.

Suki looked around her. “No... They’re probably still hard at work on Smitty’s new forge.”

“I see. And where exactly is that?”

“It’s in that cavern on the north island where Karem hid him before.”

“Ah... Good. I’ll let you go back to sleep then.”

“Thank you!” Suki said as she closed the door. Sophia was already off and running toward the rope bridge that crossed the gap to the northern island.

As she arrived at the entrance to the cavern, she noticed some distinct changes since her last visit. An entire workshop had sprung up in the previously empty space. There were tools and the beginnings of machinery Sophia had no clue as to what they were for.

“Smitty! Karem!” Sophia called out. “Anyone home?”

“Over here...” Karem said, half asleep.

“Good Morning, Karem.” Sophia said.

“It’s morning... Let’s just leave it at that.” Karem replied.

“Long night?” Sophia asked.

“Yup. Smitty has quite the stamina!” she replied. “I finally had to tell him to take a break because I couldn’t go on any longer. I needed a nap.”

“So you could say he worked you under the table...” Sophia joked.

“Yes he most certainly did. What can we do for you?” Karem asked.

“I need a still.” Sophia asked.

“A still?” Karem replied.

“Yes... A still for making something called starshine.” Sophia replied.

“Um... Isn’t that against the law? Karem looked at Sophia as if she’d gone crazy or something.

“I’m not entirely sure about that. But the bottom line, I need starshine and I need a lot of it – quickly.”

“Whatever for?” Karem asked.

“It’s a long story, but the short version of it is right here in this document.” Sophia said as she handed Karem a copy of the tome about Ancarian Bark Beetles by Elwood the Wise.

“I see. So we’re going to build a still to make grain alcohol – starshine – to save a forest.”

“That’s the gist of it.” Sophia replied.

“And why are we trying to save this forest?”

“Because I made a deal with the lumberjacks working that forest so we could get some firewood to save Loromir and Orphas.”

“What happened to them?” Karem asked, shocked.

“They ran out of energy saving Bethusela and are now freezing to death at the library.”

“Um... Who’s Bethusela?’

“Oh... That’s right. You haven’t met her yet. She’s a Frost Clan Dragon we liberated when we were at the library. Since she’s a Frost Dragon, she can’t come here to the island as it’s too hot for her. She will be stationed at the library. We ran into some more of the Archmage’s undead who were trying to burn the library down. Bethusela transformed herself into a dragon inside the library and froze one of the undead but got stuck in her dragon form. Loromir and Orphas cast a magic spell on Bethusela that shrank her so I could move her outside. In the process, they ran out of energy and are now outside of the library, shivering in the cold in their full dragon forms so we couldn’t move them here to the island where they could at least warm up.

“So... I went to Timbervale and found the camp empty. We went down the trail a bit and found where the lumberjacks went. We found that their woods have been infested with bark beetles. I found out that besides fire, the only way to kill these bark beetles is grain alcohol. They love the taste, but it’s poison to them. So, I made the lumberjacks a deal – I’d get them what they need to save their forests and I’d get enough firewood to warm up Loromir and Orphas – at least until dawn hits the library.”

“Och! That’s some tale!” Smitty said.

“Indeed!” Karem agreed.

“Ah Smitty, sorry to wake you.” Sophia said.

“Tis not a problem. What can I do to help?”

“As I was telling Karem, we need a still and we need something that can spray the alcohol onto the trees.” Sophia answered.

“How big a still do ye need?” Smitty asked.

“As big as can fit through the portal. We need to build it here and then take it to Timberton. And once we have it there, we need to brew grain alcohol. Lots of it. We need to cover fifty acres of forest or about 3,000 trees.”

“Och, that’d normally be a rather large still... Judging by the number of trees, and how much fluid it would take to cover them. What if we made several smaller stills? Say four or five of them?” Smitty asked.

“As long as we can make enough, I don’t suppose that would matter much.” Sophia replied.

“All right then. Do we have any plans for making one?” Smitty asked. “Truth be told, I haven’t a clue as to how to make one.”

“Oh... I didn’t think of that. Give me a moment.” Sophia said.

She thought about design plans for a still. The helmet responded, “Accessing... No such plans exist in my knowledge bank. Unable to connect to the library for further research at this time.”

“Why not,” Sophia thought to the helmet.

“Unknown,” the helmet replied.

“It seems I’m going to have to go to the library to get some more information on the subject. I’ll be back shortly.” Sophia said.

“Very well. We’ll be here. Hopefully asleep.” Karem said.

With that, Sophia made her way back to the main island and the tower. As she arrived there, she ran into Manda.

“Good morning Manda! How are our friends?” Sophia asked.

“Good morning Sophia! They’re doing well, they’re warming up nicely! Where are you off to?”

“I’m heading back to the library. I need some more information from TARA about our forest problem. I can’t get Smitty to work without some plans on how to build the stills.”

“I see. By the way, have you had breakfast yet?”

“Um... No. Come to think of it, I haven’t eaten since lunch yesterday.”

“Well, then, you’re coming with me for a quick meal. Doctor’s orders! No arguing!”

Sophia laughed. “OK, let’s get some breakfast!”

A short while later, Sophia arrived back at the library just as dawn was breaking in that part of the world. It seemed to be a lot colder than the last time she was here. She walked to where the bonfires were surrounding Loromir and Orphas. Sophia could see that the Seraphim brigade had brought quite a bit of wood back from the lumber camp.

“Good morning Loromir and Orphas! Are you two feeling better?” Sophia greeted them.

“Yes, we’re warming up nicely,” Loromir said, “But we’re still pretty much wiped out.”

“Indeed. We thank you for getting the materials for the fire.” Orphas added.

“You’re welcome! And I’m glad to hear you’re feeling better. By the way, where’s Bethusela?”

“I’m not entirely sure, but she said something about paying off a debt and flew off not too long ago.” Loromir replied.

“I see.” Sophia said.

Just then a shadow crossed Sophia. She looked up to see Bethusela above her, spiraling down for a landing. She held two rather large boars in her front claws, both squealing in fright. She landed neatly on her hind legs and dropped the two boars in front of Loromir and Orphas.

“Good morning Bethusela!” Sophia greeted.

“Good morning, Sophia,” Bethusela replied. “Here. I brought you two something to eat,” she said to Loromir and Orphas. “Never let it be said I don’t pay my debts!”

“Debts?” Sophia asked.

“Yes, the two nerds saved my life last night - likely saved yours and that librarian’s life as well. To the Frost Clan, we take things like that seriously. While this is only a small gesture, it’s all I’ve got at the moment.”

“And it’s most appreciated!” Loromir exclaimed.

“Indeed, we both thank you!” Orphas added.

Both grabbed their boars and swiftly chomped their meal with gusto.

“I’ve got some research to do inside. I still need to make payment for the wood we burned last night.” Sophia said as she turned away, headed for the library proper.

Sophia walked into the librarian’s office, only to find it empty. She must be taking a break. After last night’s excitement, she wouldn’t be surprised to find her taking a nap. Sophia felt that she, herself could use one – but she had things to do, obligations to meet. She walked back to TARA’s lair,

“TARA?” Sophia said.

The now familiar column of light assembled itself into the familiar Seraphim image. “TARA is online... Recognize Sophia. How may I help you today?” TARA asked.

“I need information on how to build a still.”

“Accessing... Clarification is required.” TARA replied.

“I need to make a large quantity of grain alcohol in order to stop the infestation of bark beetles in and around the Timberton/Timbervale area.”

“Accessing... Verification is required. Please provide valid reference that proves grain alcohol kills bark beetles.” TARA insisted.

“TARA, Access document by Elwood the Wise dated 15 Tyrbor, 1976 of the Fourth Bountiful and Benevolent Elven Empire titled ‘Ancarian Bark Beetles – A Cure to a Nasty Problem’.” Sophia replied.

“Accessing... No such document exists.”

“TARA, you printed that document out for me early this morning – in duplicate, no less!” Sophia argued. “I have one of the copies right here in my hand!”

“Error! Please contact the librarian for further assistance.” TARA complained and the column of light, the image of the Seraphim vanished.

Sophia turned and made her way to the front of the library. She met the librarian about half way.

“What happened?” the librarian asked with a peevish tone as she and Sophia made their way back to TARA’s room.

“I’m not sure. I asked TARA to provide me the plans to make a still so we can brew up some grain alcohol to get rid of the bark beetles. TARA denied the existence of the document that was printed out earlier. Then promptly shut itself off when I provided one of the copies.”

“I see. It must be a conflict in the programming somewhere.”

“I’m sorry, I hope I didn’t damage TARA.” Sophia said.

“Not a problem. It’s not your fault. The system, while being as amazing as it is, is not without faults. TARA can be quite temperamental at times,” the librarian replied. “TARA, Override protocol Alpha one!”

The glowing column of light reappeared and shortly afterwards, the image of the Seraphim resumed its ghostly show.

“Accessing... Override protocol acknowledged.” TARA obeyed.

“TARA, rebuild indexes of documents from ten days prior to last search request to ten days after.”

“Accessing... Indices rebuilt.”

“TARA, locate and print any documents relating to making grain alcohol.”

“Accessing... There is a conflict.” TARA replied.

“What is the conflict TARA?”

“The making of pure grain alcohol is illegal by decree of Maria, Queen of the Seraphim dated 4 Gindar, 342 in the Fifteenth Elven Empire. The making of pesticide, however, is not. The purpose of Sophia is to make pesticide. But the substance in question is not classified as a pesticide.” TARA replied.

“Sophia, you need to order TARA to reclassify grain alcohol as a pesticide.”

“TARA, reclassify grain alcohol as a pesticide.” Sophia said.

“Please provide corroborating documentation.” TARA replied.

“I’m sorry, Sophia, TARA is being quite difficult today,” the librarian said.

“There’s the document you printed for me earlier today. Elwood the Wise dated 15 Tyrbor 1976 of the Fourth Bountiful and Benevolent Elven Empire.” Sophia replied.

“Document found. Data verification impossible as the subject is deceased.”

“Wait a moment...” Sophia said.

Sophia thought to the Helmet, “Do you have a recording of the experiment I did with Barkod earlier this morning?”

“Accessing... Affirmative,” the helmet replied.

“Can you transfer the information to TARA?” Sophia thought.

“Affirmative.”

“Please do so!” Sophia added.

“Accessing...” the helmet’s voice said in Sophia’s mind. “Data transferred.”

“TARA, do you have the information from my helmet regarding the bark beetles and the experiment I did earlier today?”

“Accessing... Affirmative. Grain alcohol is now also classified as a pesticide.”

“Good. Now, I need plans for making a still to make enough grain alcohol to cover the afflicted forests in the area surrounding Timbervale.”

“Accessing... Documents are now printing. Will there be anything else?”

“Yes. I need a recipe for making grain alcohol and I need plans for making a device that can spray the pesticide on the affected trees.”

“Accessing... The relevant documents are now also printing.”

“Thank you TARA, That will be all for now.” Sophia said and TARA shut itself down.

“Thank you for the assistance.” Sophia said to the librarian.

“Not a problem, Sophia,” she replied.

“Now all I need to do is get the ingredients to the lumberjacks and get them up and running and of course, get the plans back to Smitty so he can make the stills.”

“Sounds like you’ve got a busy day ahead of you.”

“Aren’t they all?” Sophia said in jest.

“Indeed. Some more than others.”

With that, Sophia made her way to the front where she grabbed the newly printed documents and went outside.

Sophia arrived on Seraphim Island and made her way to the northern island once again.

“Smitty! Karem! I’m back.” Sophia announced.

“Shhh!” Smitty whispered. “Karem’s asleep!”

“Whoops!” Sophia whispered back, “Smitty, I’ve got the plans for two projects – a still and the necessary tools to make grain alcohol and these are plans for a device to spray the stuff on the trees.”

“Och, good. Let me see what we’ve got,” Smitty replied.

Sophia handed him the plans and Smitty looked them over.

“Och. We’ve got a problem!” Smitty said.

“What sort of problem?” Sophia asked.

“The size of this contraption is far too big to squeeze through the portal by far.”

“OK... Can we scale the dimensions down so it will fit?

“Aye, we can – though we’ll need to make five to make up the difference.”

“OK. So we make five of them. What about the sprayers?” Sophia continued.

“We’ll need plenty of specialty parts for them – parts that will be very difficult to come by.”

“In what way?” Sophia asked.

“These pistons here,” Smitty indicated on the drawing, “They’re wrapped in cork. The pistons themselves have to be shaped perfectly round to match the cylinders they fit into. They also have to be very smooth – to avoid scratching them up. And these valves... They keep the pressure in when you pump the handle. I dunno of anyone who makes things like this.”

“Smitty. Do your best! Between you and Karem, I’m sure you can figure out where and how to come by those parts or how to make them yourself. Right now, I’ve got to line up the rest of the ingredients to make this stuff. Not to mention half a dozen other things that needs my attention.” Sophia said. “I trust you. You’re a miracle worker. You put together an entire set of armor for me in one night. You can do this!”

“Aye. Yer right. It’s just that it’s been a very long time since anyone put so much faith in me on account of the curse.”

“Smitty... Seriously. There is no curse!” Sophia chided.

“Then what would you call what happened at the wake?” Smitty retorted.

“Nothing that wouldn’t have happened had we not met the day before! Your father and the Archmage would have still played their hand the very same way. They would have brought that armor for me to wear not to mention those undead slaves. Of this, I have NO doubt. But I also know that had we not met you the day before the funeral, I wouldn’t have been warned that there was something going on and I might have tried their armor on and I might be dead right now.” Sophia concluded.

“Och... I’m not so sure.” Smitty said, unconvinced.

“Smitty, the things that happened at the wake were a result of what happened in the days leading up to Loromir finding you. Had I not gone out of my way to save him when I did, the hunters would have caught up with him and killed him. I would have been at home in the tower when the Archmage and your father came to measure me. And then I really would be dead now because I would have worn the blasted thing. It was my decision to run off and save Loromir and that’s why your father and the Archmage are so upset with me.”

“I suppose that makes sense.” Smitty conceded.

“Now then. How long do you think it will take to put these projects together?”

“That would largely depend on how long it would take to get the materials. Iron, we’ve got. But this still is made of copper and the best place to get it is in the foothills bordering the Dwarven lands and Tyr Lysia. There’s a merchant or two in a town called Sloeford that can get what we need. We don’t want to mine the stuff – it’d take too long to refine the metal.”

“Thanks Smitty! In the meantime, I’m off to visit a merchant in Ciria Delith – right after I stop by the medical ward to visit Lurinda and the guard. And you should get some rest too. I don’t want you dropping dead from exhaustion!”

“Aye... I’ll be sure to do that.” Smitty replied.

And with that, Sophia left the Dwarf to catch a nap.

Sophia arrived at the medical bay shortly afterwards and found Manda sitting at her desk, contemplating something.

“Hi Manda!” Sophia greeted her.

“Sophia! Good to see you again. I take it you stopped by to visit our patients...”

“Indeed I did. How are they?” Sophia inquired.

“About the same as when we last spoke. I must warn you, neither Lurinda nor the guard have any recollection of you or anything that may have happened in their entire lifetimes yet,” Manda cautioned.

“I see. How soon will it be before they’re back to normal?”

“It’s hard to say. It may be quite a while. It may be as little as a week or it may be two or three months. We’ll take it one day at a time!” Manda said, trying to be as encouraging as possible.

“So I assume it won’t do much good to go visit them just yet.” Sophia said.

“Not at the moment... Neither one of them can speak just yet.”

“Yikes!”

“Yikes indeed! This Millennium Weed is nasty stuff.” Manda confirmed.

“Very well. I have a project to get done today. I’m off to Ciria Delith again. I need to get some materials for making grain alcohol to save the forest. I need to call in a few favors. That is, if I still can.” Sophia said.

“Are you going to take Loromir and Orphas with you?” Manda asked.

“Of course – that is if they’re up to it.” Sophia confirmed.

“They should be. Bethusela went and hunted up some more of those boars they seem to like so much. They may need to go on a diet before they’re through.”

“Ha! I’ll be sure to put them through their paces then.” Sophia joked as she left the infirmary for the portal.

“Long night?” Sophia asked.

“Yup. Smitty has quite the stamina!” she replied. “I finally had to tell
him to take a break because I couldn’t go on any longer. I needed a
nap.”

“So you could say he worked you under the table...” Sophia joked.

“Yes he most certainly did. What can we do for you?” Karem asked.

A very solid exchange of question & answer. A great deal is implied here...

I remain, :P

• Like! 1

Dude.. You gotta get your mind outta the gutter... :D

Anywho... On with the story! Today's installment introduces us to a somewhat familiar character in the world of Sacred 2... At least we know him by his artifacts... More exactly - by the armor set named for him - as well as more about Dragons, their society, and who Orphas was and why he's training Dragon Mages in Sacred 2...

Oh... And as a side note - the sugar palace the gang visit today exists in Sacred 2. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to where it is...? :D

Monster Mash

Sophia arrived at the library’s portal and went looking for Loromir and Orphas. She found Bethusela curled up in a snow bank, taking a nap. She did her best to move quietly past her immense bulk.

“Greetings!” Bethusela said.

“Oh... Greetings! I thought you were asleep.” Sophia replied.

“Bah! You think I can get any sleep in with all of the noise and nonsense going on here?” she replied.

“I suppose not.” Sophia mused, “Speaking of which, where are the boys?”

“I think they went inside to chat with the librarian.”

“Thanks!” Sophia replied.

“I take it you’re off on another adventure.” Bethusela asked.

“Not exactly. I’m off to Ciria Delith to buy some supplies for the lumberjacks.” Sophia answered.

“Ciria Delith? That’s far down in the south, isn’t it?” Bethusela asked.

“Pretty much - it’s close to the equator.” Sophia replied. “Did you want to come along?”

“No... Just curious.” Bethusela replied. “It sounds much too warm for my taste, anyhow.”

“Yes... This time of year the climate is quite tropical there.”

“Bleah! On that note, I’ll stay here where I can be comfortable!”

“Somehow, I knew you would say something like that,” Sophia said as she went into the library.

Sophia met up with the librarian and Loromir and Orphas as they were discussing something.

“Greetings! How are you all this morning?” Sophia greeted.

“We’re fine, Sophia, and yourself?” Loromir replied.

“I’m tired. But there’s just too much to do. Did I interrupt anything?”

“Not really,” the librarian replied, “Loromir and Orphas were just asking if I knew the identity of the dragon or dragons that the creator met with – the one that led to our creation.”

“I see. And is there any such information in TARA?”

“No. The data from that period in time is very limited at best. TARA didn’t exist back then. What little we have now is limited to the fragments of documents – like the ones you’ve already seen. They were entered into TARA’s archives long after our creation – and after the Creator left us.”

“Just out of curiosity... How much time elapsed between the time the Creator left and TARA’s beginnings?” Sophia asked.

“No one is entirely sure,” the librarian replied. “There are many theories, but there isn’t a shred of proof as to when the Creator left.”

“So in that regard, for all we know, the Creator could still be living amongst us?” Sophia mused.

“Well... That’s certainly possible, however, unlikely. The scriptures state in no uncertain terms that the Creator left Ancaria. Where the Creator went – it doesn’t say, just that he left Ancaria and left the Seraphim in charge of the various races on Ancaria. It is also written that the Creator and his minions were fighting a war against the ultimate evil – the Worganar and his minions. It has been theorized that the Creator is locked in everlasting combat with this Worganar.”

“Yes, I’ve heard this before.” Sophia replied. “Though I have my doubts about this theory.”

“Why?” the librarian asked.

“The first document – the untitled document of Urisa’N TachYon says that the Seraphim were created to battle the Worgarians... I’m going to go out on a limb and assume that these Worgarians are related to Worganar. If this is so, then why did he leave us behind? If we were such an effective combat force, then logic would dictate that he would want his best troops with him. To leave us behind would be like going into battle unarmed.”

“True. However, the Creator could have had reasons. He could have found a more effective weapon to take into battle with him.”

“Maybe so, however, the second document, also by Urisa’N TachYon, mentions that at the time of the Chaos Wars, they extracted the four elements of this world to make the Seraphim holy.”

“I’m familiar with the document, Yes, it does say that.”

“But the last line of the passage in that document says that those elements were ‘scattered to the four winds by the eldest of the Seraphim.’ That would imply that those elements had already served their purpose and were put into storage – in case a need for them ever arose.” Sophia countered.

“Hmm. I never quite looked at it in that way. But it makes sense.”

“There is only one thing that doesn’t make sense,” Sophia continued. “The text says it was scattered by ‘the eldest Seraphim.’ Aren’t we all the same age?”

“Hmmm. You’re right. That is something that doesn’t make sense.”

“Um... Sophia, Was there something you came here for?” Loromir interrupted.

“Oh yes. I came to find out if you two would like to take a trip to the big city with me today.”

“Ciria Delith?” Loromir spat.

“Almost. The actual location is on the border with Bengaresh in a small town on the southern end of the big valley. I need to buy some supplies for the lumberjacks who saved your hides last night.”

“Certainly!” Orphas volunteered.

“Of course,” Loromir chimed in, somewhat reluctantly.

“Is there a problem, Loromir?” Sophia asked.

“No, the aura of the people there – I just have a bad feeling about going there,” he replied.

“Understandable. Unfortunately, it’s also the only place I know of where we can get the supplies they need.”

“Let’s get going, then. The sooner we’re out of there the better!”

“Good. Then let’s get going,” Sophia said. “We can come back later and pester the librarian for more information on the ancient past after we’re done. We really should let her get back to work – or that three hundred year backlog will never go away.”

“Sounds good to me!” Orphas said excitedly.

“Have a good trip!” the librarian said.

With that, Sophia and the two dragons left the library.

Sophia and her guardians arrived at the north portal in Ciria Delith and immediately set out north along the road leading toward Bengaresh. Their destination was a small suburb of Ciria Delith called Takhta Gula – the sugar palace. It was named as such as it was the home of the wealthiest landowner in Bengaresh. His name was Fornian Grell. Grell had built homes and offices for his workers to reduce their daily commute. That led to more expansion until Takhta Gula became a small town unto itself with all of the amenities of Ciria Delith – without all of the hustle and bustle of the big city.

He had made his money growing sugar beets and other high profit crops. Sophia had dealt with him in the past when she and her squad had come to the rescue of his lands from a rather persistent bear that came out of the woods to eat his sugar beet crops. The bear’s hide now adorned Grell’s wall.

“Greetings!” the guard said. “What business do you have here in Takhta Gula today?

“Greetings!” Sophia replied, “I’m here to purchase some crops. Is it possible to see Fornian Grell this fine morning?”

“The boss is still asleep, but you can wait for him to wake up. Go ahead and go right on in. Visit our shops have a look around,” he replied.

“Thank you!” Sophia replied. “We’ll do just that.”

The trio stepped through the gate and were amazed. The town was quite compact, and yet, appeared to be very efficiently laid out. There were a few merchants about, but most of the people in the town were various workers needed by the Grell farm. There was a blacksmith pounding away at what appeared to be a plow.

Sophia looked at Loromir – he was smiling. Sophia took that as an indication that the town was free of the taint.

There were a few children running around the town. One of them came up to Orphas and Loromir and stared at them. Orphas had a sudden look of shock on his face. There was something about the child – a sort of familiarity. One he hadn’t felt in a very, very long time.

“Sophia! I must speak to you in private! Now!” Orphas said with urgency.

“Certainly, Orphas, will over there work?” Sophia said as she pointed to a stall currently unoccupied by any merchants.

“Yes, I think so. Loromir you come as well as this will be important to you as well.” Orphas said as he moved into the stall.

“That boy over there, the one who is staring at us with such intent. He is one of us.” Orphas started.

“He’s a dragon?” Sophia asked.

“Yes, and no. He is an Elfling child. But he bears the soul of a Dragon. A Dragon I knew well before the Carnach came.”

“Who, brother?” Loromir asked.

“He is carrying the soul of the last Master Dragon Mage – the one who taught me the compression spell that freed Bethusela from the library’s corridor.”

“But how?” Loromir asked.

“That is a good question. The Carnach came just as I was about to graduate. And take his place. But the Carnach’s arrival stopped all of that. Master Eornok was about to pass on his title to me and die so he could be reborn in the next hatching. We didn’t have a chance to complete that. I seem to vaguely recall he was assigned to the raid on some facility in the west. He was never heard from again.”

“This facility? Do you know what it was for?” Sophia asked

“I wasn’t privy to the orders. But it was in the western side of this continent.”

“I see.” Sophia replied.

“I will need to train the boy.” Orphas said.

“To do what?” Sophia asked.

“To be the new Master Dragon Mage, of course,” Orphas replied. “You see, he may be an Elf, but his soul has immense power. Power that if not harnessed properly can lead to all manner of trouble for anyone and everyone around him.”

“He’s right.” Loromir added. “I recall hearing some stories in my youth about Dragons who played around instead of getting trained properly. They eventually went insane and caused all kinds of chaos until they finally had to be killed before they destroyed everything and everyone around them. But I put the stories off as the kind of thing parents told their younglings to keep them in line. Now I’m not so sure.”

“In most cases, brother, those stories were exactly as you surmised – parental attempts to keep their young in check. But this is the exception to that. You see, souls like that of the Master Dragon Mage are more powerful than an average Dragon - much more powerful.”

“So does this mean you’re talents are of the same caliber?” Sophia asked.

“Not exactly. While my power is above average, my power is nowhere near that of the Master. My tenure as Master Dragon Mage was only to be a temporary one. Given we Dragons enjoy a rather lengthy lifespan, our females do not go into estrus very often. Maybe once every ten thousand Ancarian years or so, give or take. If we were to have new offspring every year or two, our world would have become overrun with Dragons and we would have all starved to death.

“My master was at the end of his lifespan,” Orphas continued, “and as such, it was nearly his time to die. In order for him to be bonded to a new hatchling, he needed to die before the rut began. It is therefore, the job of the interim Master to learn all he can of the Master Dragon Mage and then take his place until the Master had hatched, grown up, and learned how to control his power in his new body. It was up to me to find him, and then teach him everything I know so he could take his place once again.”

“But the Carnach’s arrival stopped the cycle?” Sophia asked.

“Exactly right – it seems my responsibilities haven’t ended in spite of everything that’s happened.”

“I see a problem here.” Sophia said. “Elves, while they do lead fairly long lives, pale in comparison to Dragons.”

“I realize that. It would mean that I would have to almost constantly train a new Dragon Mage – at least until the next hatching cycle, whenever that will come.” Orphas replied. “It also means I (and my charge) will be in danger until his power manifests and he reaches his full potential.”

“I don’t envy you, brother!” Loromir said. “Perhaps there is a part of Ancaria where you could do your training in private. At least, that would lessen the odds of anyone interrupting your work.”

“There are some areas in the deep south that are free. We will have to look into it. But for the moment, let’s focus on getting what we need right now and get it delivered to the lumberjacks.” Sophia said.

“We need to take the boy, now. I feel an ominous presence in the area. If we leave him, he will not survive.” Orphas said.

Sophia thought hard about it. The dragons have yet to be wrong about things like this. “Very well, we get the boy and the supplies and move out.”

“Thank you, Sophia! My race thanks you!” Orphas said.

A guard approached them from the hilltop house. “The master of the estate will see you now.”

“Thank you!” Sophia said to the guard. “Orphas, talk to the boy while Loromir and I deal with things on the hill.”

“Yes, and thank you again, Sophia!” Orphas replied.

Loromir and Sophia followed the guard to the top level of the hillside and were escorted inside.

“Sophia! Hello! It’s been quite a while!” Fornian Grell greeted the new arrivals.

“Fornian – indeed it has!” Sophia replied. “I see time has been kind to you.”

“Bah! I’m an old fart! You don’t have to sugar coat it. I’ve accepted my advanced age with grace. So, what can I do for you?” Grell asked.

“I need some supplies – beet sugar and grain.”

“I see... How much do you need?”

“Lots, actually – approximately one ton of each.” Sophia replied.

“Now, I’ve got to ask myself, young lady, just what a reputable Seraphim such as yourself would be needing with the makings for hooch?” Grell asked.

“Technically, it’s not for making hooch. It’s for making a pesticide.” Sophia replied.

“A pesticide, you say?”

“Yes, there’s a bark beetle infestation in the woods in Tyr Fasul. The bugs are threatening an entire forest and the livelihood of many lumberjacks. We’ve found that the bugs love the taste of grain alcohol but, as Elwood the Wise found several years ago, they die when they imbibe.”

“You don’t say.” Grell said. Sophia could see the gears turning in Grell’s head as he tried to figure out how to turn a profit on this new information.

“Yup. I actually saw it for myself. It was quite amazing. The lumberjack and I put a half a shot of whiskey into a dish and the bugs swarmed it. They drank up and died.”

“And how often do these bark beetles get out of control like this?” Grell asked.

“To be honest, I’m not entirely sure, but I can find out.” Sophia replied.

“Please, if you could. That information would be most valuable to me.”

Another guard came in, with Orphas and the strange boy in tow. “Excuse me my lord; this gentleman is with Lady Sophia’s party.”

“Actually, it’s Queen Sophia these days.” Sophia said.

“Congratulations are in order then, I see.” Grell added. “Moving up in the world is always a good thing.”

“It can be a royal pain at times too.” Sophia joked.

“I’ll bet. Well... Come on in.”

Orphas and the boy entered as the guard left.

“So what has my good for nothing grandson done now?” Grell asked.

“Done?” Orphas asked, puzzled.

“I’m assuming you brought him here because he did something.”

“He hasn’t done anything that I’m aware of,” Orphas said. “But I am here to ask if I may take him with me. He needs training.”

“Er... Training? If you mean discipline, then I wholeheartedly agree.” Grell replied.

“Indeed, discipline would be an integral part of his training.” Orphas confirmed.

“I see. So what do I get out of it?” Grell asked.

At that moment, another guard appeared in the doorway.

“Forgive my interruption, my lord! But the fields are under attack by one of those large stone monsters!” he said.

“WHAT?!” Grell screamed, “Sophia, I must ask for your help yet again!”

“Of course, Lord Grell! Let’s go gentlemen. Let’s go deal with this monster!” Sophia replied.

Orphas and Loromir followed Sophia outside and down the hillside. They followed the panic stricken guard to the fields that were under attack.

“It’s one of those Sakkara demons.” Loromir said. “Pity Bethusela can’t be here. She would be best suited to deal with it.”

“Yes, she would, but we will deal with it on our own.” Orphas replied.

The boy had followed the group out to the field. Orphas turned to him and said, “Stay here and watch; and learn your first lesson in what you will be capable of!”

The boy just nodded and stood there.

The Sakkara Demon stood at the edge of the field, daring anyone to take him on.

“So, brother, what did you have in mind?” Loromir asked.

“Do you remember the compression spell we used on Bethusela?” Orphas replied.

“Are you suggesting we shrink this monstrosity?”

“Not exactly – remember what I told you what would happen if we didn’t do things in perfect sync?” Orphas smiled.

“Not entirely – you just said things wouldn’t go well if we didn’t do it perfectly in sync and something about how bad it would be if we broke Bethusela’s ribs. Oh... And something about melons with boulders dropped on them.”

“Oh well, probably for the best I didn’t tell you then. But now is as good an opportunity as any. We will do the same spell, but this time we will not be in sync.”

“Won’t that leave us drained like we were the last time?”

“No. We won’t have to compress entire the monster, nor will we have to hold it quite as long as it took to get her out of the hallway. We will focus on the monster’s head only.”

“Ah... I see. That would be quite a lot easier.”

“Indeed.”

“Is there anything I can do to help?” Sophia asked.

“Yes. Make sure there aren’t any workers in the area. There will be shrapnel from the explosion – lots of sharp bits.” Orphas replied.

“What about you two? Aren’t you in danger?” Sophia asked worriedly.

“Indeed. We may need first aid afterwards. Be sure to have some of those healing potions handy.”

“I have a better idea. We Seraphim do have shields, you know.”

Sophia concentrated for a moment and a blue aura formed around the three of them. It got bluer as the shield’s intensity built up.

“The shield is at full strength! Whatever you were going to do – do it now!” Sophia said.

“Remember Loromir, out of sync this time!”

“Right – on two and a half!”

“I’m on three!”

“Erkor morinar consimnum!” Loromir said.

“Erkor morinar consimnum!” Orphas said half a count later.

The monster’s head began to shrink, unevenly. The lower half of the head and jaw compressed first, the top of the head began to glow as the enormous pressure was put to bear on the head. The top finally exploded almost volcanically – like a huge boil erupting when squeezed. White hot stones began to rain down. Orphas and Loromir relaxed their efforts a moment later and what was left of the head snapped off from the torso.

“Well... I’d say that worked out rather well,” Orphas said.

“Indeed. And without much in the way of damage.” Loromir agreed.

Sophia turned the shield off – after making sure there weren’t any more bits of white hot stone falling in their direction.

“Wow. That was quite impressive. The last time my squad and I faced off with one of those monsters, it took much longer to kill it.” Sophia said as they walked back to where the boy was watching them. “I don’t suppose you could teach me or some of my sisters how to do that trick?”

“Sadly, no – the kind of magics that are native to Ancaria are fundamentally different from Dragon Magic. Even though Seraphim and Dragons are related, the traits needed to do Dragon Magic just aren’t there.” Orphas replied. “Don’t feel bad. Seraphim have been given their own special talents that we Dragons can’t do.”

“It’s OK, Orphas, I was just looking at the possibility that I could get a squad trained to deal with these monsters the way you just did whenever they pop up.”

Meanwhile, they had reached the spot where the boy had been watching. His eyes were still quite wide as he looked at the two disguised Dragons in awe.

“So boy, are you ready to embrace your future?” Orphas asked.

The boy merely nodded. Fornian Grell meanwhile had come out to his fields to check they were still intact. Seeing them undamaged, he was relieved.

“Sophia, you’ve once again earned my gratitude! And from what I understand, you did it in near record time!” Grell gushed.

“Well, I’d love to take credit for this, my old friend, but I had nothing really to do with killing the monster. Loromir and Orphas deserve all of the credit.”

“You don’t say? These two rather unremarkable looking Elves did it?”

“Indeed! These two are mages and they dealt with the monster using a new kind of magic.”

“I see. Well, then, I would like to hire them as permanent protectors for the Bengaresh Valley!” Grell said.

“I’m sorry, Lord Grell, but our place, at this time is to be roaming the world. These beasts can pop up anywhere on Ancaria and to limit our travels would be bad for the rest of the world.”

“Hmmm. I suppose you’re right. Very well then, name your price.” Grell said.

“Your grandson,” Orphas said, “has the potential to learn our magic.” Orphas replied. “I would ask for the opportunity to teach him.”

“I see.” Grell replied. “And when he’s finished his training? Will he come back here?”

“He could.” Orphas replied.

“Very well then,” Grell said. “Torik, you will be going with these two Elves. Got that?”

The boy merely nodded as he kept staring at Orphas and Loromir in awe.

“Now then, Lord Grell... About those supplies I need.” Sophia said as she continued her negotiations.

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • Like! 1

I just love those developments. I'm on a new playthrough of Sacred 2, and I'm going to get to Niobium. So I will keep an eye out for the Sugar Palace.

OK folks, another day, another installment. Things take a rather strange turn this time around.

Buckle up kids! This is going to be a bumpy night!

Nightmare

Sophia, the boy and the Dragons arrived on Seraphim Island a short while later. Given Sophia hadn’t had any sleep in the last two days, it was decided that it would be best to get some rest. They made their way to the tower and stopped at the medical ward for a progress report.

“Sophia! Loromir and Orphas! Greetings!” Manda said as they walked in. “You lot look like you’ve been through the wringer – again!”

“Greetings! It certainly feels as though we have, sister.” Sophia replied. “We came by to visit Lurinda and the guard.”

“Not too much to report. They’re still pretty much as they were. They haven’t shown any signs of recognizing anyone. We’re still treating them – at double the dosage I originally prescribed. So... Who is the boy?”

“The boy? Oh yes, that’s Torik. He’s Orphas’ new apprentice.” Sophia replied.

“Exactly right!” Orphas added, “Torik is the reincarnation of one of the most powerful Dragon Mages to have ever existed – and my mentor. It is now my task to teach him all of the knowledge and wisdom he taught me.”

“So he’s like you are?” Manda asked.

“No. He’s an Elfling.” Orphas replied.

“Just out of curiosity, exactly how long did it take you to learn all of that knowledge and wisdom?” Manda asked.

“I began my training when I was just a whelp. So it took close to 45,000 years, give or take to master...” Orphas replied as the problem dawned on him, “Oh dear.”

“I’m sure we can figure something out.” Loromir said, “We always do.”

“Indeed.” Orphas added.

“Well. In the meantime, I need to go visit the Armory to see how our other project is going.” Sophia interrupted.

"Not a problem, there’s not much anyone can do for them at the moment.” Manda said.

Sophia and her group made their way to Smitty’s lair on the small island to the north. They found Smitty at his forge with Karem hard at work helping him out.

“Greetings!” Sophia said.

“Och! Ye scared me. Greetings!” Smitty replied.

“How are things going?

“Very well. We’ve got four of the five stills done and we’re mostly done with the fifth.” Smitty said.

“And the sprayers?” Sophia asked.

“Well... That will require some more time. We’ve dumbed down the device a bit, but we figured you kenna spray the hooch until ye make it first. We should have ‘em ready to go in the next day or two.”

“This is good news! The lumberjacks should be ready to start spraying then within the week.” Sophia replied.

“Most certainly should.”

“Karem, when you finish with the stills, please have them shipped to Timberton.”

“Will do Sophia, and if I may say, you look exhausted.”

“I am, I haven’t had any sleep in the last day and a half. I am planning a nap – just as soon as I get a bite to eat...” Sophia replied.

“If you don’t’ mind, we’d like to stay here a bit and get some rest ourselves,” Orphas said. “Last night wasn’t exactly our best, either.”

“Too true. On that note, I will see you later.” Sophia said and made her way back to the tower.

She went to the main hall and found a runner waiting.

“Good day, I have a question for you.” Sophia began.

“Yes, my queen!” he replied.

“Who is my third in command?”

“Um... Third in command?” he asked, puzzled.

“Yes, who would be next in the chain of command after Lurinda?”

“Truth be told, I don’t know of anyone who is in that position,” he replied. “At least, no one I’ve ever heard mentioned.”

“I see.” Sophia said as the scope of the damage done by the Archmage’s machinations fully came into view.

“Is there any business I need to tend to on today’s agenda?” Sophia asked.

“None I’m aware of, my queen.”

“Very well then, I’m going to take a nap for the next few hours. Unless it’s something really important – like the world is coming to an end – I’d rather not be disturbed if at all possible – at least, not until dinner is being served.”

“Yes, my queen! I’ll be sure to wake you personally for dinner,” the runner said.

“Good.” Sophia said as she went to her quarters.

On the way there, she thought she would ask the helmet if there was a third-in-command.

“Accessing... There is no current position called third in command.”

“Who would take over command if Lurinda and I were both killed?” Sophia thought.

“Accessing... Unknown. No such contingency has ever been postulated,” the helmet replied.

“This is not good. Compile a list of names of Seraphim who could be acceptable replacements for myself in case something were to happen to me.”

“Accessing... This may take some time.”

“No problem. I need to sleep for the time being anyhow.” Sophia replied.

With that, Sophia got ready for bed and took a nap.

Sophia found herself sitting on the throne in the main hall. She was alone. A figure appeared at the doorway, but it was strangely out of focus.

The figure approached her.

Sophia felt a twinge of panic. There was something about the figure that disturbed her greatly.

The figure started coming into focus. It wore a strange set of armor. It looked as if it was patterned after a dragon’s hide, with scales much smaller than those found on her friend’s hides.

Sophia’s panic grew. She felt around her for her weapons, but she had none. She looked down and found she wasn’t even wearing armor – just a pure white nightgown like she usually wore when she was in bed.

The figure came more into focus. It was male, tall, Elven. Sophia looked at the man’s face. It was somehow familiar, even though she knew she had never seen him before.

The figure’s face became more of a grimace. Pure evil surrounded him.

Sophia tried to stand up. There would be no shame in retreating from an enemy if you were unarmed and unable to defend yourself. She found she couldn’t. Her legs refused to obey her.

The figure’s face became more contorted. She finally recognized the face.

The male Seraphim the helmet showed her.

The figure pulled a long, nasty looking blade from its sheath at his side.

Sophia’s panic reached new heights. Sophia though it strange. Seraphim did not panic – ever!

The figure raised the hand with the sword across his chest. The eyes were burning with hatred.

The figure swung his sword directly at Sophia’s neck.

Sophia sat bolt upright. She found herself drenched in sweat. It was only a nightmare.

Sophia, for the first time in her life, knew what fear was.

• Like! 1

OK folks.. Sorry for the delay, but this installment is a bit on the long side - to make up for the shortness of the last one. That and there's a LOT of stuff that wound up getting crammed into this chapter. And you can thank Chattius and Gordon Ramsey for one element in this chapter... Dragons love real gravy. Who knew? :D

Inoculate

Sophia sat on the edge of her bed trying to compose herself. She couldn’t remember ever having nightmares in the past. She wasn’t even sure Seraphim could have them. Either way, whatever happened really got under her skin.

There was a knock at her door. She got up and answered it. It was the runner.

“Greetings, my queen, it’s almost dinner time. I came to wake you per your orders,” he said.

“Thank you. I’ll be right there.” Sophia replied and closed her door.

She decided it would be best if she took a quick bath so she slipped out of the now sticky nightgown and went into her private bathroom. She ran the water and climbed in. She washed the sweat, dust and grime from her body and hair and got out. After drying off, she put her old, faithful armor on and left her quarters. She made her way to the mess hall.

Sophia was startled when her helmet announced itself. “Operation complete!”

“Huh?”

“The operation you requested before your nap is now complete. A list of Seraphim who are qualified for third in command is now ready for your review,” the helmet reminded her.

“Oh yes. I’ll go over it later. I need to talk to Manda first and I think some dinner might not be a bad idea either.” Sophia thought.

“Search results saved for further review.”

As she arrived at the mess hall, she looked around for Manda – but she wasn’t in evidence anywhere in the room. She turned around and made for the medical bay.

When she arrived at the medical bay, Sophia looked around – but didn’t see Manda anywhere. She asked one of the attending Seraphim if they’d seen Manda and was told she was asleep. She, like Sophia hadn’t got much rest the night before so Manda was also taking a nap.

Sophia went back to the mess hall. She decided she would get some food. Hopefully that would make her feel better.

Sophia stood in line – and as before, people offered to let her go ahead of them. Sophia once again declined, insisting that she could wait.

As she was waiting, Orphas and Torik, his new charge came into the mess hall. Sophia got out of line and joined them.

“Orphas, Torik, Greetings. Please, come join me,” Sophia invited.

“Ah! Sophia! Just who I was looking for,” Orphas responded, “I had a disturbing thought during my afternoon nap.”

“You don’t say. I just had a nightmare.” Sophia said.

“What is a nightmare?” Orphas asked.

“It’s a bad dream.” Torik spoke. “I used to get them all the time.”

“Yes, that’s exactly what it was.” Sophia added.

“Your dream - what happened in it?” Orphas asked with a measure of urgency.

“I was sitting in the main hall in my chair. A large man came into the room. His eyes were burning with hatred and rage. He was wearing the most peculiar armor I’ve ever seen. He pulled a sword and swung it at me.”

“What happened next?”

“I don’t know. I woke up at that moment, drenched in sweat and my heart was racing.”

“Did you recognize the man in your nightmare?” Orphas asked.

“No. Although, his eyes did remind me of something I saw a few days ago.”

“What was that exactly?”

“A composite of what a male Seraphim would look like.”

“A male Seraphim... In that case, I must ask something of you, Sophia – something quite personal and private.”

“I see. In that case, let’s go to my quarters.”

“The boy can stay here and get some food. We must discuss this in private.” Orphas replied.

“OK. Torik, you go ahead and stand in line. Orphas and I need to talk for a moment and we’ll be right back. Save our place in line...” Sophia said as she tousled his hair.

“OK Auntie Sophia!” Torik grinned.

“Let’s go, then.” Sophia said.

When they reached Sophia’s quarters, Sophia went in and looked around to see if anyone had snuck in. Having found her quarters free of unwanted pests, Sophia asked, “So what did you have in mind, Orphas?”

“That factor of Seraphim blood – the part that removes evil from a being. Can it be used to prevent that seed of evil from taking root?” Orphas asked.

“You mean, give someone some Seraphim blood to prevent evil from taking over? If that’s the case, I honestly don’t know, but I suppose I can find out.”

“Please do. I do not make this request lightly!”

“OK. Give me a moment.”

Sophia sat down and focused her mind and asked, “Can someone who is basically good be given Seraphim blood to prevent evil from taking control of them?”

“Accessing... If you mean, can someone be inoculated against evil by being given Seraphim blood, the answer is yes,” the helmet replied a moment later.

“It would seem that yes, it will work.” Sophia said aloud to Orphas. “Is there a particular reason why you’re asking me for this?”

“Indeed!” exclaimed Orphas. “I had a very disturbing feeling come across me. A sort of shadow, if you will, that blocked out the light.”

“A cloud?” Sophia asked.

“Hardly, we were in Smitty’s cave.” Orphas replied, “At any rate, the sensation came from the boy as he slept.”

“He seems like a nice enough kid.” Sophia said. “But his grandfather did ask him what he did this time – as if he was a bit of a troublemaker.”

“Indeed he seems that way, but don’t forget, in his previous lifetime, he was a very powerful Dragon Mage in his own right – the most powerful we’ve ever had. And even with all of his power, he was still corrupted by the evil of the Carnach. The problem I foresee is that if I start teaching him and unlocking his true power that evil will once again rise to the surface and take over.”

Sophia nodded. “That would be a very bad thing.”

“Yes. So I ask if you could help.” Orphas said.

“Of course I will,” Sophia replied, “but I just had another thought cross my mind.”

“And that is?”

“There are many people who come to Seraphim Island to work. Some live here and never go anywhere, while others come and go as they’re needed. We need to make sure the people who come here are vetted and free of the Carnach’s evil.”

“That sounds like a plan. I understand that there’s a degree of secrecy involved with this blood trait. The question that pops to mind – how exactly do you plan to do get this done and keep it that way?” Orphas asked.

“That, my friend, is a very, very good question. One I don’t yet have an answer for. In the meantime, I think we need to get back to the mess hall before all the food is gone. I’m starving!”

Sophia and Orphas returned to the mess hall – just as Torik was about to reach the counter.

“Hurry Auntie Sophia!” Torik exclaimed.

“I’m on my way!” Sophia replied, “Orphas, care to sample some yourself?”

“Sure, why not?” Orphas replied as he followed Sophia to Torik’s place in line.

Torik arrived at the head of the line. The server said, “What would you like, young man?”

“What do you got?” Torik inquired.

“We’ve got some roast boar and we’ve got roasted root vegetables, and of course gravy.”

“I’ll have some of everything, ma’am!” Torik replied, “Extra gravy please!”

“Good choice, young man,” she replied as she ladled food on to his plate.

“I’ll have the same for myself and give me a sampler plate for my friend here.” Sophia added.

“Very well, my queen – one full plate and a sampler for the gentleman.”

Torik grabbed his tray and made his way to an empty table. Sophia and Orphas soon followed suit and sat down with the boy.

Torik had already grabbed his knife and fork and dug into the food on his plate. He ate with the sort of gusto of someone who hadn’t eaten in a week.

Sophia, meanwhile sampled her food a bit more daintily. Orphas just stared at his plate, trying to decide where to begin.

“Go ahead, it won’t bite,” Sophia said between mouthfuls.

“I’m just trying to make sense of this food. It’s quite different from what we usually eat,” he replied. He picked up a fork and tentatively stabbed at the meat.

“It’s quite dead already. Eat!” Sophia chided. “It’s best when it’s still warm.”

“I see.” Orphas replied as he picked up a slice of the meat and sniffed it. He took a tentative bite out of the slice. He tried swallowing it but almost choked on it.

“Slow down, Orphas! You need to chew the food before you swallow.” Sophia said.

“Chew? That’s rather different. We generally rip bits of food and swallow it whole.”

“Yes, I know. I’ve seen you eat. But what’s good for you in that form won’t work too well in this one.”

“So I’ve noticed.” Orphas replied. He took a smaller bite and chewed the pork.

Sophia stopped eating and stared at Orphas, trying to figure out his first impression of his first cooked meal.

“Well...?” Sophia asked.

Orphas finally swallowed his mouthful. “Hmmm. Interesting. It’s been spiced with something.”

“That’d likely be garlic.” Sophia replied. “That and salt.”

“I see. It’s not bad. It’s certainly very different from what I’m used to.”

“Try the vegetables.” Sophia suggested.

Orphas used his knife to dislodge the slice of meat from his fork and stabbed a potato wedge with it. He bit into it. His face grimaced as he chewed the tuber.

“I definitely do not like that one.” Orphas replied. “My kind are obligate carnivores. I’ll pass on sampling any more.”

Sophia laughed. “It’s OK Orphas, I do understand. You’re excused from eating the vegetables. But do sample the gravy.”

Orphas stabbed his fork into the slice he abandoned, dipped it into the gravy, and took a bite. His face lit up as he chewed.”

“Hey Torik, I think he likes the gravy.” Sophia observed.

“Yup, Auntie Sophia, he sure does!” Torik replied.

Orphas finally swallowed and proceeded to dip his pork into the gravy again. “I most certainly DO like the gravy. This is good stuff. What’s it made of?”

“If I’m not mistaken, the cooks make gravy by scraping the bottom of roasting pans to get all the stuck bits off, then mix in some flour and cook it for a bit. That’s what gives the gravy its thick and tasty consistency... If you’d like, I can maybe arrange a cooking class for you in the kitchens...”

“That would indeed be a treat, but for the time being, there are far more important things that we need to accomplish,” Orphas declined.

“Indeed, there are.” Sophia replied,

Manda, at that moment arrived in the mess hall, looking like she had just woken up.

“Manda! Just the Seraphim I was hoping to run into this evening!” Sophia greeted.

“I’ll be right with you,” Manda replied, “I need something to eat first.”

“Sophia, would it be all right if I got a bit more gravy and perhaps a sample to go? For Loromir, of course. He needs to sample this wonderful concoction as well!” Orphas asked.

“By all means, have at it!” Sophia laughed, “I’m certain your enthusiasm for gravy will go over well with the kitchen staff. They’ll love you for it!”

“In that case, I’ll be right back.” Orphas said as he stood and joined Manda at the food station.

“Greetings, Manda, Sophia and I invite you to join us when you’ve gotten your food.” Orphas said.

“Well, with an invitation like that, sure, I’ll be glad to join you. I was going to go back to the medical bay, but what the heck. That can wait. I’m not expecting any miracles yet.”

“You mean with Lurinda and the guard?” Orphas said.

“Yes. I’m not entirely certain how long it will take. I’ve gotten the stuff they were injected with out. The swellings gone, but they still haven’t recovered yet and I’m not sure why.”

“I am certain you will find the problem and fix it. But in the mean time, Sophia and I have a few things to discuss. We need some help with something else entirely. We’ll discuss it after dinner.”

“I’m glad someone has faith in my talents. And sure, I’ll help in any way I can.”

Manda grabbed her plate and tray and made her way to Sophia’s table.

“Can I help you sir?” the serving girl asked.

“Yes, I’d like a bit more of that meat and the gravy, hold the vegetables, please. And if possible can I get say, a small flagon of gravy to go?” Orphas replied.

The serving girl giggled and said, “Coming right up, sir. Hey Mavel – you’re gravy’s got another fan!”

“Oy! You don’t say...” Mavel came up to the serving station, “and he’s a handsome one too, Gerdie. Best find out if he’s married or not! And I thank you sir for liking my gravy!”

“Well, um... You’re welcome. And no, I’m not married; however, I am otherwise engaged.”

“Oy, too bad Gerdie, he’s already got himself a wife to be.” Mavel said with much disappointment.

Orphas was about to respond to the contrary, but thought it best to let sleeping wargs lie.

“Yes... It’s something like that.” Orphas said instead.

“Here you are; some meat and gravy and here’s a container to go.” Gerdie handed him another plate and a container with gravy.

Orphas took the items and went back to join Sophia, Torik and Manda at the table.

“So, Orphas, it looks like the kitchen crew likes you.” Manda teased.

“Yes, it appears they do.” Orphas replied, slightly flustered. “But it would never work.”

“I suppose not.” Manda said between bites. “So what is it you two need my help with?”

“That can wait,” Sophia replied. “Eat, while the eating’s good.”

“You’re right. This roast is good today – as is the gravy” Manda replied as she mashed a potato with her fork into the sauce.

Orphas stabbed another piece of meat and dunked it into the gravy with gusto. “It most certainly is! On second thought, I may need to take you up on that offer, Sophia.”

“Offer?” Manda inquired.

“I told Orphas I’d see about getting him a cooking class in kitchen.” Sophia replied.

“Oh I see, in that case I don’t think you’ll need to do anything Sophia. Those ladies in there seem to be a bit smitten with him and I think they’d pretty much do anything to spend some time with him.” Manda teased again.

Orphas blushed slightly as he bit into the sliced meat as it dripped with gravy.

“Excuse me, please,” Torik interrupted.

“Yes, Torik, what do you have to say?” Orphas asked.

“Will there be any dessert?” Torik asked.

“Dessert? To be honest, I’m not sure.” Sophia said. “We don’t normally have dessert except on special occasions.”

“If so, I’d like some ice cream.” Torik replied. “Honey flavored.”

Sophia looked as if she had been hit by lightning out of the blue. “Torik, that sounds like a brilliant idea. Let me go see what they’ve got.” As she promptly stood up and made her way to the kitchen.

Sophia had a flash of insight. Ice cream might just be the perfect solution to Orphas’ request. If she timed it right, she could put a small drop of blood into the ice cream and serve it to the boy. He’d eat it and become inoculated. If it worked out, then they could use the same subterfuge to inoculate everyone else on the island.

Sophia grabbed Gerdie, the serving girl who was in the back, helping out with the nightly cleaning. “Excuse me, but do we have any ice cream in the cold room?”

“I don’t know, mum, but hang on a moment, I’ll check.” Gerdie said.

“Honey flavored if you’ve got it.” Sophia added.

“Yes, mum.” Gerdie said as she disappeared toward the bowels of the kitchen area.

Sophia, meanwhile grabbed a small stiletto from her belt in case she needed to prick a finger on the sly.

Gerdie returned a few moments later with a small metal tub.

“This is all we’ve got at the moment,” Gerdie replied. “Barely enough for one serving.”

“That’ll do for the time being,” Sophia replied as Gerdie grabbed a small serving dish and a large metal spoon to dig the frozen concoction from the bottom of the tub.

“You’re in luck too. It appears to be honey flavored.” Gerdie replied.

“Perfect!” Sophia added as she took the dish from Gerdie. She grabbed a spoon and stuck it into the ice cream and made her way back to the mess hall. When she was sure Gerdie went back to cleaning, she stuck herself on the tip of the stiletto, making a small pin prick. A small drop of white blood oozed from the wound. Sophia put her finger over the top of the ice cream and let a couple of drops fall onto the frozen confection. It blended perfectly.

Sophia left the kitchen and returned to the table where Torik’s face lit up. Sophia put the bowl in front of him and said, “Dig in! Sorry to say, that’s the last of that batch. But I’ll have the kitchen make more for tomorrow.”

Orphas had a rather odd look on his face, wondering just what happened. Sophia smiled at him as she stood behind Torik, and showed him her wounded finger.

Orphas’ face relaxed as he figured out what Sophia had just done. Manda was just finishing up her meal, oblivious to the interchange.

“OUCH!” Torik exclaimed.

“What’s the matter?” Manda asked.

“Brain freeze!” Torik replied.

“Slow down! It’s not going to run away from you!” Sophia said. “Ice cream is best savored so it lasts a good long time.”

“Yes, Auntie!” Torik replied.

“In the meantime, I’m going to need to get back to the medical bay. Is there something we need to discuss?” Manda asked.

“Yes, but I’d rather do that in private,” Sophia said. “Orphas, Torik, I’ll let you two finish up while I go have a quick chat with Manda.”

Sophia and Manda left the mess hall and went to Sophia’s quarters. Sophia once again made her usual search to see if anyone was lurking about.

“There are a couple of things I need to ask you.” Sophia began, “First of all, I’m running a test. If it works, I may need some help with logistics.”

“Logistics?” Manda asked.

“Orphas and I had a short discussion earlier today. He’s worried that Torik may be carrying the Carnach’s evil with him from his past life. That’s why I had a brilliant bit of inspiration just now. I put a drop of my blood on top of his ice cream.”

“Ah... I see.”

“Yup. In the mean time, my discussion with Orphas got me thinking it might be a good thing to inoculate everyone else who’s here on the island – just in case. The last thing we need is more of the Carnach’s chicanery by turning our staff against us.”

“Good idea. So what did you have in mind – Honey flavored ice cream with Seraphim blood topping for everyone?” Manda asked with a hint of sarcasm.

“Exactly right!” Sophia replied. “So I’ll have the kitchen make more ice cream and then we give it out to everyone and that threat goes away.”

“You know... It just might work.”

“We’ll know soon enough,” Sophia replied.

“So what was the other thing you wanted to ask me about?” Manda asked.

“I had a nightmare.” Sophia said.

“A nightmare? Unlikely, as Seraphim do not have nightmares...” Manda replied.

“Really? Then what would you call it? I fell asleep. I found myself in the main hall, sitting on my chair, wearing nothing but a nightgown. A large, very threatening man wearing strange armor came into the hall, walked up to me, pulled a sword and likely chopped my head off.” Sophia said. “I’m not exactly sure what happened as I woke up about the time the sword would have landed. I woke up, my heart was racing out of control and I was soaked in sweat.”

“Hmmm... If it was anyone else – someone who wasn’t a Seraphim, I’d say that was a nightmare. But since you are, I don’t know. Yet.” Manda replied. “Did this figure look familiar to you in any way?”

“Not exactly. The face reminded me of an image my helmet showed me of a male Seraphim.”

“A male Seraphim? Sophia, there aren’t any such things.”

“I know. But do you know why? Because the Creator himself abandoned trying to make them.”

“Did he now? Why?”

“Because they turned out to be too unstable and dangerous.” Sophia replied.

“I see. That really is too bad.” Manda replied.

“It was for the best. The helmet showed me an image of what one would have looked like. The face was...” Sophia paused, at a momentary loss for words, “... pure evil.”

“Maybe so, but males of most species tend to be stronger than the females. Given some of the fights we’ve been involved in over the centuries, I kind of wonder how much easier they might have been if a male Seraphim were involved.” Manda responded in a clinical manner.

“Maybe so, but the image I saw in that bad dream... I kind of wish I could show you. Maybe then you would understand.”

The helmet chimed in... “Playback is possible.”

“It is?” Sophia thought. “How?”

“There is a holographic terminal located in the center of the main hall...”

“Why am I only now finding out about this?” Sophia thought.

“Accessing... Unknown. This feature has been in disuse for a very long time.”

“Come with me. My helmet seems to think there’s a way to show you what I saw.” Sophia said aloud.

Manda followed Sophia to the main hall.

“We’re now in the main hall. Display the image.” Sophia thought.

A beam of light shot out from a gap between the stones similar to the one in TARA’s chamber in the library. An image began to coalesce in the beam. It was a tiny bit taller than a Seraphim, male. He was wearing the strange armor Sophia saw in her nightmare. The face was one of pure hatred. The eyes seemed to burn like coals.

Manda gasped slightly. “I see what you mean. If I saw him in a dream coming at me with a sword, I’d likely call it a nightmare as well. Maybe there’s some other significance to it?”

“Such as?” Sophia asked, her eyes closed.

“Well... If I didn’t know better, that armor looks kind of like it might be some sort of dragon design. What was it Orphas was worried about? That Torik might be infected by this Carnach’s evil and might manifest it?”

“Yes, that was what he said.” Sophia replied.

“Didn’t you touch the boy before you went to bed?”

“Why yes, I think I did.”

“Then maybe he was, in fact, infected and there may be some sort of psychic connection between the two of you.”

“So what you’re saying is that this might be a psychic projection of Torik – all grown up?” Sophia asked.

“Yup. That pretty much sums it up.” Manda replied.

“It’s that simple?”

“Why not? Your imagination combined your memories of that male Seraphim with the boy’s psychic projection and came up with one rather scary monster... Speaking of which, can you show me the male Seraphim?”

“Why would you want to see that?” Sophia asked.

“Call it morbid curiosity.”

“Display the male Seraphim image.” Sophia thought.

“Accessing... Do you want the two images displayed side by side?” the helmet responded.

“Yes.”

“Accessing...”

The column of light split in half. The one on the left remained the image from Sophia’s nightmare while the other formed into the image of the male Seraphim.

“See...” Manda lectured, “The faces are very similar. There’s even a common theme of sorts. Dragon hide armor over here, and wings on the other. Let’s not forget that Dragons are, in part, our forbearers.”

“Yes... I do see that.” Sophia replied. “It still changes nothing – they both creep me out!

“I must admit, both images are quite disturbing, but remember, one of them doesn’t exist while the other is far from becoming a reality.”

“I know what you’re saying is right. But they both fill me with such dread.”

“Then stop looking at them, Sophia,” Manda said.

“Shut down the display.” Sophia thought into the helmet.

“Accessing... Display terminated.”

The column of light faded into nothing.

“Feel better?” Manda asked.

“Not really.” Sophia replied. “I can’t seem to stop...”

Manda slapped Sophia across the face hard to interrupt her as she said, “Snap out of it!”

“Thanks... I think...” Sophia said as she massaged the sting on her face. “I think that worked.”

“Good. Now then, I’ve got patients to attend to and you’ve got a world to save.”

“You’re right,” Sophia said, “I don’t understand what got into me.”

“I’m not sure myself, but whatever it is, you’ll have to deal with it! Sophia, you’re the queen of the Seraphim. You’re one of the best warriors that have ever come up from the ranks. You don’t flinch in the face of danger! You don’t shudder in the presence of evil. Ever!”

“Manda, you’re right. I’ve got to get myself together.”

Orphas and Torik arrived in the main hall.

“Ah... There you are!” Orphas said. “I will need to get young Torik to bed. Not to mention this flagon of gravy to Loromir before it completely cools down.”

“Very well, but before you go, can I have a word with you in private?” Manda asked.

“Certainly. Torik, stay here with Auntie Sophia.” Orphas replied as he and Manda moved off to one side of the room.

“Can you spare a few moments and talk to Sophia tonight? Something’s happened to her. I think it may have been what you were talking about with her earlier.” Manda began.

“What happened?” Orphas asked.

Sophia had a nightmare. Mind you, Seraphim do not have nightmares.”

“What sort of nightmare?”

“It was an image of a Human or Elf in armor that looked as if it was inspired by a Dragon. The man was evil. Sophia said she was sitting on her seat over there. A man in armor came in and she was helpless to do much of anything about it. The man walked up to her and pulled a rather wicked looking sword and apparently tried to cut her head off.”

“Oh my, that would be quite a nasty dream to have.” Orphas confirmed. “But what makes you think it was young Torik that gave it to her?”

“Other than what you said earlier – about him being the reincarnation of your former master – who was under the control of the Carnach at the time of his death, and that you felt something evil buried in him, not much except that Sophia has had direct physical contact with the boy before the ice cream.”

“Hmm. Yes, well, that does sound at the very least plausible. I will have to check the boy out tonight. However, might I suggest you take her to see Loromir? You see, I too have had contact with the boy and in all honesty, I don’t know if I’ve been affected.”

“Very well, hopefully, Loromir will be able to fix the problem.” Manda concluded.

"As long as you're going to see him, could you take him this flagon of gravy?" Orphas asked.

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • Like! 1

MetaPhysical is the best way to describe this installment I think.

Another solid read. A lot going on in the forefront & behind the curtain.

Thank you!

I remain, :sweating:

Blame Chattius and his Jaggerschnitzel.. :D Him and Gordon Ramsey and his campaign for real gravy...

Meanwhile... I gotta admit I've been getting a bit ahead of myself. I'm kind of picking people I'd like to see in a movie based on this story - should it ever get made.

Sophia: Rachel Nichols - she's been in the Star Trek reboot as an Orion slave girl, Scarlet in GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra and is the lead in Continuum

Manda: Zoie Palmer - she's the doctor and lesbian love interest in the show Lost Girl... I figure she's got the science part down...

Anyone got any suggestions?

Edited by wolfie2kX

Bethuselah -- Amanda Tapping

Smitty -- the guy who plays the dwarf in the the Lord of the Rings.

I do think your choices for Sophia and Manda are really good.

The guy who plays the wolf in Lost Girl would make a great dragon too.

Edited by Ysne58

Other than a few grammatical errors, nice writing wolfie. It looks like you hauled butt on that monstrosity of an installment.

Either way, good stuff as usual. Good job keeping us all hanging.

(This world could really use some 'Seraphim Ice Cream')

Other than a few grammatical errors, nice writing wolfie. It looks like you hauled butt on that monstrosity of an installment.

Either way, good stuff as usual. Good job keeping us all hanging.

(This world could really use some 'Seraphim Ice Cream')

Er... Grammatical Errors..? Do tell.

Word did complain about some things - but mostly about the word Seraphim being used in place of Seraph (singular for Seraphim which is plural.) That and when someone would say something like "Not likely!" in response to someone else. It's a fragment, but people actually talk that way...

Wouldn't mind me some seraphim ice cream myself. Or is it ice cream on a seraphim? Mmm... ice cream on a - oh, will you look at the time! Gotta go!

Mr. Giles would be proud... :4rofl:

Edited by wolfie2kX

Bethuselah -- Amanda Tapping

Smitty -- the guy who plays the dwarf in the the Lord of the Rings.

I do think your choices for Sophia and Manda are really good.

The guy who plays the wolf in Lost Girl would make a great dragon too.

Hmmm.. Amanda Tapping..? She's a bit um.. older than I would envision.

Which LOTR..? There are currently several movies by that name listed on IMDB...

The guy who plays the wolf in Lost Girl - Kris Holden-Ried - hmm.. He's too "cool" to be Loromir or Orphas.

I suspect you have plans for other dragons who will be showing up.

Bethuselah seems to be a matriarch of the frost dragons, or did I misread that?

Of course. There's a definite need to rescue a good number of dragons - there's Mer-Kil and the other quest givers in Sacred 2 and the dragons from S1 as well. I figure that they're going to need to rescue at least 50 overall...

Eh.. I'm not so sure matriarch is quite the right word for Bethusela. I'm thinking she is more your typical mean girl.. At least, that's the way she starts off. Of course, she mellows when she finds that the Magic clan boys aren't quite so bad and are even kinda useful.

I published 5 short books a couple of years ago right here on DarkMatters.org

Wolfie... Im sooo impressed. I want more.... Is there a way I can get access to the first 5? I'd love to read them.