Mostly New To Sacred 2 Gold, Good Class Roles?

I had Sacred 2: Fallen Angel on Steam (still do actually) and was forced to quit due to Windows 7 issues around level 40 or so. I have now purchased Sacred 2 Gold on Steam after noticing it and installed the CM-Patch. I am level 20 with a BFG Seraphim and am already contemplating what my next character builds shall be.

My question is, as a mostly new Sacred 2 player, which classes work best with different setups? I am thinking High Elf for Area of Effect caster, Shadow Warrior for dual wield, Temple Guardian ranged, Inquisitor caster or dual wield, Shadow Warrior or Seraphim tank, DM for mage, etc after browsing the class guides.

I understand that one huge perk to this game is the ability to explore a variety of builds with each class and to be creative, but what do you guys fill are classes to fill each niche until you have a firm grasp of the game?

Gameplay will be a mixture of single player and LAN over Tunngle with current friends and/or any friends I make while playing or on the forums...

If you wouldn't mind just list each existing class and which type of builds you think would be successful or just really fun for a newer player?

Example:

Seraphim - Ranged (lore or skill reasoning), Shield (lore or skill reasoning), Dual Wield (lore or skill reasoning)

Thank you so very much and I hope this is the right forum and that it isn't too much trouble to ask such a question of veteran players, but it seems like some of the old sites that I had bookmarked last year when trying to play Fallen Angel were no longer online so I just deleted the bookmarks...

Edited by Roalith
  • Like! 1

First off, Welcome to DarkMatters!

Secondly, you've come to the right place. DarkMatters (from my experience) is probably the best site for this sort of information. The folks who come here tend to be some of the more hard core fans of the game and thus, have posted a LOT of information on various builds and styles of play. Which is probably why DarkMatters is still around.

Third, we've got the Sacred Wiki - which sadly, is currently undergoing some serious rennovations. The Sacred Wiki has all manner of information on the game not found anywhere else.

Now then, What builds should you try? My suggestion - try them ALL! :D After all, that IS one of the more charming aspects of the game. Nearly infinite replayability because there are so many variations to each class.

The BFG Seraphim is a good place to start, but a Dual Wield Seraphim can be a LOT more fun. especially with the right weapons and skills selected - especially when she's hacking and slashing her way through a mob with Pelting Strikes. Watch her mow down a mob with one click.

Dryads can be fun too, especially if you can find her a good blowgun. One shot and watch everything in reach drop dead.

Shadow Warriors can be fun. Sneaking around, invisible, letting a Skeletal Fortification do the talking while you hide in the shadows.

Temple Guardians can't dual wield for obvious reasons - but they can still do damage with the one arm using Dedicated Blow. Crank that up and it's 1 shot, 1 kill.

Inquisitors can be kind of fun - using the Clustering Maelstrom and the lightning effect as a combo... Clustering Maelstrom pulls them all together into one convenient pile while the lightning zaps them into the next lifetime. Sort of Star Wars-ish. There's even a helmet that sort of looks like Darth Vaders that was added in the game by the CM Patch.

The Dragon Mage likewise is fun as a pure caster or even as a melee scrapper.

The best suggestion would be to read through some of the builds on here and see if it strikes your fancy. I could, in theory, write a post as long as War and Peace on the subject, but that would be quite redundant as it's already been written in the various posts found on DarkMatters!

Have fun! :D

• Like! 1

I think wolfie and lujate have already said covers this nicely. I think that the great thing about the game is that if you can think of an idea then you can generally run with the idea up to a fairly high level with some ease. Of course some ideas may require taking things slower early on, but after a while things start to rock! But like wolfie said, read through some of the guides and you can get a feel for which ones are a bit more overpowered and start from their if you are after a feel of the game mechanics.

As others have implied, there really isn't a clear cut answer to your question. While classes seem to be designed around a certain role, you can actually build up your character to whatever suits you due to the amount of flexibility given to each class. It's all really dependant on your own personal preference. Most of my builds tend to be weapon based since I'm into melee, with the occasional exception for the sake of mixing things up (caster HE, ranged dryad, bfg seraphim), rarely bothering to touch other CAs aside for a little support to my main CAs. Most, if not all, are also built to be tanks, some gaining that ability sooner than others, like my SW and dryads, courtesy of certain buffs and perks each class possess. As lujate put it, the sky's the limit. :) So the question for you is do you have a particular play style you like? That's where I think it really should start. You can then check the guides in the forum to see what builds are out there. Hopefully the wiki would be up as soon as possible so you can get further insight as to what skills are available to your class, what CAs you have, what mods to choose for each CA, etc.

First of all, thanks for the great replies!

I am quite sorry for the confusion of my questions as I am fully aware of the flexibility of each class and such from reading around the guide forums and online, was more looking for a RECOMMENDED starting place for my first build of each attack type (wrote as "role" in my last post): 2h, 1h+shield, dual pistols, 2h ranged, single target dps caster, Area of Effect caster, hybrid, other.

One of my biggest reasons for this purchase and pursuading a few friends to purchase was the ability to build any character in such a large variety of ways, so sorry if it seems that I was conveying a message that I believed that each character would be limited to a traditional "role" it was more of a "Hey if I want to dual wield, what would be my most solid class choice as a beginner and why do you think so" type stuff, organized by class.

I guess for now I will just go with a popular build for each and get my feet wet instead for now, to become more familar with everything, thanks again! I chose BFG Seraphim for my first toon just because of it being ranged and low funding to sustain to higher difficulty. I am also assuming that at some point I will want a "shopper" and a "smith"...Thanks again, hoping to play more this weekend via Tunngle!

Edited by Roalith
  • Like! 1

Well if thats the case staying as close to the class stereotypes would be the best way to go. Want to Dual Wield? Pick either a Seraphim or Shadow Warrier. Ranged = Dryad and so on. Then, as suggested read through a couple of guides for the class and see what they've done for those and build from their.

Ok.. My bad for not comprehending what you were after. Tho, in all fairness, my answer isn't going to be all that different. There are all manner of builds out there posted on DarkMatters - and for what it's worth - they're all pretty much easy to follow. Most of the posts also go to some lengths to explain why the author did what they did with the skills and attribute points for their builds.

If you were after something specific - I could tell you what your best bet would be - for instance - a "shopper" is a no brainer. The Seraphim has the most pieces of armor and hence, the most possible sockets. As such, you can forge the most +Bargaining/+General Skills items into the armor to create what is called a "Bargaining Suit." It's a pain to use mostly because you don't really want to be wearing it while going out on the battlefield since you're pouring your resources into one skill as opposed to whatever you've got for your regular defenses. So when you pull into a merchant, you will want to change into that suit, take care of business, then swap your regular armor back on for your next foray. A while back I did a bit of research into what the ultimate bargainer would be like - and yes, it was a Seraphim with an amazing +971 to Bargaining in Niobium... You can read about it HERE...

The trouble with having a fixed shopper like that one - you're not guaranteed to find the best goodies in the market for a different class. Sure, as a Seraphim, you'll find TONS of goodies for the Seraphim class, but not so much as many for say, a Shadow Warrior who, btw, is the only class who can't get that skill. With the SW, it's pretty much better to get EP and crank that up as high as you can and do your "shopping" on the battlefield. The other big issue - a level 200 Seraphim will be finding level 200+ gear in the stores and while that's great for a level 200 character, it doesn't help for the one you just started in Silver who's level 10. Ergo, you need multiple shoppers at multiple levels. It's sometimes just easier to just add the Bargaining skill into your character and just be done with it.

Having a smith OTOH can be a bonus - especially if you've got one in Niobium. He/she can forge Niob smith arts into your armor maybe a bit cheaper than your typical blacksmith. But in all fairness, I rarely use any of those - I prefer to keep my sockets for other things like Regen per Hit or other goodies that give me more bang for my buck.

Anyhow.. I digress...

The bottom line - ANY class is good - as long as you put some thought into making the most of what it can do. Your best bet is to jump in and do a bit of reading - and then jump in and experiment. There is no "wrong" build unless you take on something utterly useless like Pacifism (Only good if you're going to be doing PvP.) or Devine Devotion. DD is good if you want to cut the regen on your godly gift down. Other than that, you're better off using that skill space for something really useful like an offensive or defensive skill. And hey, the god spell thing can be useful at times - but it's generally NOT a good thing to rely on regularly.

• Like! 1

Thank you guys. I haven't even really been thinking about shopping/smithing characters yet. EP is interesting but I notice it isn't included in very many builds. I got an additional friend to buy the game so for my new character to start with him tonight I will do a Shadow Warrior based off Furian's guide but probably swapped to dual wield.

Thanks again!

THAT's the spirit! :D Jump right in and put your own spin on things! Works for me..!

EP (Enhanced Perception) is the sort of skill that is a sort of double edged sword. On the one hand, you DO want good drops - namely you want the Unique and Legendary items. On the downside, it's a skill that's taken up that some people might feel could be better used on other things. It depends on what you're trying to do. If you want to simply kick arse through the game and feel you can buy the right gear at a merchant's - then EP would be a waste. Or of you want to do some "farming" for items - EP is a MUST! There are also some items that depend on EP in order to work. I've seen weapons and armor with a "Chance to Find Valuables" modifier that depends on EP being a skill. Keep in mind that having EP or CtfV items do not guarantee you will get lots of unique and legendary goodies - it just increases the chance you'll MIGHT find them in the loot you collect.

There are multiple options with different classes, although some are pretty good at certain "default" roles. In my opninion, the Seraphim is the most versatile in regards to skill selection. Certain characters have higher attributes than others, or they are enhanced by different buffs or Combat Arts. The easiest example is the Dragon Mage who gets added Intelligence, Willpower and hit points from the Familiar buff. A caster sounds pretty natural for a DM since Intelligence increases spell damage, but don't forget that increased Willpower makes you do more damage with the Community Patch lightsabers.

• Like! 1

First of all, thanks for the great replies!

I am quite sorry for the confusion of my questions as I am fully aware of the flexibility of each class and such from reading around the guide forums and online, was more looking for a RECOMMENDED starting place for my first build of each attack type (wrote as "role" in my last post): 2h, 1h+shield, dual pistols, 2h ranged, single target dps caster, Area of Effect caster, hybrid, other.

One of my biggest reasons for this purchase and pursuading a few friends to purchase was the ability to build any character in such a large variety of ways, so sorry if it seems that I was conveying a message that I believed that each character would be limited to a traditional "role" it was more of a "Hey if I want to dual wield, what would be my most solid class choice as a beginner and why do you think so" type stuff, organized by class.

I guess for now I will just go with a popular build for each and get my feet wet instead for now, to become more familar with everything, thanks again! I chose BFG Seraphim for my first toon just because of it being ranged and low funding to sustain to higher difficulty. I am also assuming that at some point I will want a "shopper" and a "smith"...Thanks again, hoping to play more this weekend via Tunngle!

No apologies. :) I actually did understand your question, which was why I started off with acknowledging that each class have their abilities seemingly geared towards a certain role or class stereotype, such as a melee/tank SW, ranged dryad, caster elf, etc. It's also true that certain classes have abilities that would make them more suitable at 'deault' roles than others (it's pretty obvious that a dryad has perks geared towards a good ranged build compared to others, or that the high elf is very much a traditional caster). So you can probably figure out what role works best with who based on the stereotype you see. :D On the other hand, the flexibility you have in the creation of your toon trumps sticking to a simple 'what works best', hence it's not a clear cut answer, hence not something to worry about at all. :) I have a couple of friends who build their characters based on preference. One preferring ranged and casting and therefore his skills regardless of class would revolve around one or ther other (or both). The results included a caster high elf, ranged dryad, ranged SW, ranged Inquisitor, etc. The other prefers the female class and going melee yet found the dryad ugly and the seraphim looking like a druggy thus ended up with a sword wielding high elf. :P

As for your choices, bfg seraphim, as long as you don't neglect her defence the way I did, she's definitely a good choice to start. And same with the SW, which was also my first character. :) Aside from Furian's guide, MantisPR's guide on the beginner Shadow Warrior I also think is a great guide to use for explaining how to get create a bais melee SW for the first twenty levels and then leaving the rest for you to decide how you want to specialize him for the rest of the game as opposed to showing you a 'complete' build.

Edited by Aegis