Anyone tried the Ghost Pepper yet?

I heard it's the hottest thing in the world. In the states, there is ongoing competition at a restaurant called chunky's...they got a burger called The Four Horseman (aptly enough) and if you finish it in twenty minutes, with no milk and can sit after for five minutes without spitting etc, you get your name on a wall.

Anyone tried it?

:)

gogo

Forget about GP, Naga, or the like, AFAIK this babe is even nastier. Though truth to be told. it really doesn't matter after the first million Scovilles. :P

Few years back I did do such a thing, with a burger, also comely named as, Death burger. And man, that was a true fight. I doubt I could do that again. Haven't been eating really hot food recently. Guess I should try a similar thing, if it's still going on Gringos Locos, a local mexican food chain here. But I think I would need a serious training to tame the beast, whatever it might be.

Gotta admit, though, Gogo, that The Four Horsemen seems to be a little tougher, being 20 mins instead of 30, as with the Death Burger, or previous Grincos contest, where the time limit was one hour.

• Like! 1

I dunno.. I used to eat spicy stuff like that many moons ago. There was this small store at the L.A. Farmer's Market (now known as The Grove) that sold nothing but hot sauces and such. I picked up a package of this stuff called Habanero 750 - which isn't a hot sauce, per say, it's a chili extract that you add to food to give it a bit of spice.

If you open the link, and scroll down, you'll see the box came with it's own End User License Agreement (of sorts). It had some legal agreement that said basically that you would only put this stuff in food - as opposed to putting it on top of food or directly on your body parts (including the tongue) as this stuff was hot enough to do serious damage to any skin it came in contact with. That EULA was what sold me on the product. :D

At any rate, it came in a small bottle with a medicine dropper on top. The whole idea was you took and only used a few drops of this stuff per pot of food. Some of my more adventurous chili experiments had up to 20 drops of this stuff to the gallon... The stuff made you sit up and take notice.

That said.. I think I might be able to handle such a monster as this burger.. But I've been forced to abandon eating super spicy foods. It isn't so much a personal thing - as the person I cook for doesn't have the chops to handle extreme spices.. I'd need to do some training to get back into the mix...

• Like! 1

Wolfie: Wonder why they used extract into that when such heat level is attainable with the chiles I mentioned. Mind you pure extract will bring somewhat cartoon-boxy, stale flavour... That has always been the problem for those extremely hot sauces and such... Although, truth to be told, at those levels not many care about the flavour, but still. :P

You should try to get your hands some 3 A.M or the likes, it's about thrice as hot as that Habanero stuff. If for nothing else, than curiosity.

Wolfie: Wonder why they used extract into that when such heat level is attainable with the chiles I mentioned. Mind you pure extract will bring somewhat cartoon-boxy, stale flavour... That has always been the problem for those extremely hot sauces and such... Although, truth to be told, at those levels not many care about the flavour, but still. :P

You should try to get your hands some 3 A.M or the likes, it's about thrice as hot as that Habanero stuff. If for nothing else, than curiosity.

Actually... It's not quite that bad. There IS one element that does seem to be missing - the fruitiness of the habanero. But beyond that, it's pure heat that mixes well with stuff like Chernobyl Melt Down Chili (my own recipe). You can't eat Habanero 750 straight. Doing so will cause extreme pain and severe discomfort. You can't even really put a drop or two on say a quesadilla... It's that extreme.

There's another brand of habanero "hot" sauce that you can get here in the States called Dona Chuy's Habanero Sauce... It's not nuclear waste hot - but something you can put on your typical mexican foods to give them a nice kick. If anything it sacrifices some of the notorious heat of the habanero to give more expression to the crazy-looking flavor of the pepper.

I'll have to take a look at the 3am stuff... Probably won't happen for the time being tho - given I can't make food too spicy.

Gotta agree with that, Wolfie. Though I've been taste testing simiilar sauces, teaspoon at a time. If one has the tolerance, it's not that bad. :P That's when the stale effect is most obvious.

Not anything I would receommend to anyone, but I've noticed that we Finnish chileheads are notoriously known of most stupidest feats around.

Reminds me of friend's experiment with Naga Morich and Habanero flavoured 80% vodka. That was pure gasoline, I tell you...

Oh, and a link for local forum English thread about certain sauce, spiced up with 6.4m SHU extract. That is quite nasty stuff, especially if one's on the more amateurish side of the hot stuff. >_<

Edited by Stormwing

I do not try extra hot stuff just for the kick. But I like to use this stuff when cooking:

150_150_10022321_m_4000515001628H.JPG

Sometimes people who think they can eat hot stuff because they can eat chili fail at this ;)

Chili, black pepper and very fresh Horseradish together in a sauce. Three different attacks of hotness in one mix.

• Like! 1

Hmm.. Now this is something I can get into... As a condiment, maybe.. Tho quite honestly, I never really considered black pepper all that "hot"...

I did a search on Schamel Meerrittich on Bing and found the parent company's website.. Oddly enough, they don't list that particular product - just a "hot and spicy" Horseradish product and something called Alpine Cream - which appears to be mixed with some sort of dairy product to make it mellower.

I have no problem with horseradish.. Usually get a double order of the stuff when having Prime Rib. Damn.. I'm getting hungry just thinking about prime rib with horseradish... :drool:

Any idea on if they still make this stuff or if it's some sort of seasonal product?

Now one can easily say I enjoy spice in my foods. Warmth if you will...

When talking about this Atomic Nuclear Reaction. I will Dodge, Avoid & Evade just like the Amazon in Diablo 2.

I have nothing to prove anymore so far as my love of great cuisine. That said, adding an Atomic Blast into a dish would only tamper with the fantastic taste of the actual dish.

For all you Atomic loving fanatics, enjoy the reaction. I kind of enjoy seeing grown men cry over their plate. Ladies not so much. Sadistic perhaps, but humerous nevertheless. Pride it seems will undo even the mightest of kings.

I remain, :dance:

• Like! 1

The hotter Schamel Kren (horseradish) variants are considered bio-weapons and not for export ;) Okay real reason: The manufacturer doesn't list them for export, claiming that they must be fresh for the full kick. But I think you can order direct from Schamel if you buy more than just a single glas.

I was brought to them by a friend who did civil maritime duty as a ship cook instead serving at army. He now runs a restaurant and does cooking classes- He always said on a multicultural ship you can't do french alacarte cuisine. Spices are very cultural what is liked and not. BUt hot is hot, and no ship people will tell a cookie that he cooks to hot, he fears to be called a softie.

http://www.schamel.de/en/export-products.html

My main use: Old male boar ... very strong taste and you need extreme spices to overdo it.

• Like! 1

The hotter Schamel Kren (horseradish) variants are considered bio-weapons and not for export ;) Okay real reason: The manufacturer doesn't list them for export, claiming that they must be fresh for the full kick. But I think you can order direct from Schamel if you buy more than just a single glas.

I was brought to them by a friend who did civil maritime duty as a ship cook instead serving at army. He now runs a restaurant and does cooking classes- He always said on a multicultural ship you can't do french alacarte cuisine. Spices are very cultural what is liked and not. BUt hot is hot, and no ship people will tell a cookie that he cooks to hot, he fears to be called a softie.

http://www.schamel.de/en/export-products.html

My main use: Old male boar ... very strong taste and you need extreme spices to overdo it.

Hmm.. I suppose that's a reason - tho with modern packaging and such, you'd think they'd have the oxidization (the thing that makes horseradish lose it's kick) issue figured out.

There's another reason why people don't complain on a ship or other venues with a similar situation with food.

I bring to your attention a story by one Utah Phillips... Note: There are a few swear words in this - so cover the kiddie's ears when listening to this tale of the American West...

"It's Good Though...!"

• Like! 1

heh

didn't know I was so out of my league with all y'all hot chilli pepper fiends :P

I was watching a few more videos, they're wearing gloves in in them while they eat...think this is just marketing?

And now a cool question...this plant, or all these plants with massive amounts of capsaicin ... do they have any natural predators at all?

I mean... we are seeing humans wearing gloves...what happens when a butterfly or bee (to pollinate it!) alights upon a plant...does it go up in a burst of flames?

:4rofl:

gogo

p.s. LOL Scleameth... good one :thumbsup:

Gogo: do we really have to teach you the thing with the bees and flowers :)

First is the bee and the blossom and then they do little baby fruits- And then the little fruit sits in the sun, listening to Doris Day singing 'Que sèraphim sèraphim..." and wonders what it will become when it is old. And while it can't decide the sun burns and burns and burns ... and burns ...

... where is the sunblocker....

..and burns...

...can't find it ...

...and burns....

Till the little baby chili is black and dead ....

And then as a ghost it comes clear to the little chili.... I want to be a ghost pepper a Chilli Chocolade Ice

EDIT

Whoever did the forum code: there is a live outside Sacred. STop dreaming about these cute Seraphims... I had to stroke these phims when code auto completed Que_sera_sera ;)

• Like! 1

Gogo: do we really have to teach you the thing with the bees and flowers :)

First is the bee and the blossom and then they do little baby fruits- And then the little fruit sits in the sun, listening to Doris Day singing 'Que sèraphim sèraphim..." and wonders what it will become when it is old. And while it can't decide the sun burns and burns and burns ... and burns ...

... where is the sunblocker....

..and burns...

...can't find it ...

...and burns....

Till the little baby chili is black and dead ....

And then as a ghost it comes clear to the little chili.... I want to be a ghost pepper a Chilli Chocolade Ice

EDIT

Whoever did the forum code: there is a live outside Sacred. STop dreaming about these cute Seraphims... I had to stroke these phims when code auto completed Que_sera_sera ;)

AHAHAHAHAH

k, that was like the best forum post ever

weeeeeee..good fun Chattius thanks

:hugs:

heh

didn't know I was so out of my league with all y'all hot chilli pepper fiends :P

I was watching a few more videos, they're wearing gloves in in them while they eat...think this is just marketing?

And now a cool question...this plant, or all these plants with massive amounts of capsaicin ... do they have any natural predators at all?

I mean... we are seeing humans wearing gloves...what happens when a butterfly or bee (to pollinate it!) alights upon a plant...does it go up in a burst of flames?

:4rofl:

gogo

p.s. LOL Scleameth... good one :thumbsup:

Why are humans wearing gloves..? Simple.

When you handle a hot pepper - be it a wimpy jalapeno or an atomic ghost pepper, you're breaking cell walls by cutting into the pepper or biting into it or whatever. And in the process the juices of said pepper will undoubtably wind up on your hands and fingers. The stuff is also VERY difficult to get off of your hands. The stuff can stay on them for HOURS after you've handled the peppers with your bare hands.

If you were to then say, touch something sensetive - be it your mucus membranes in your nose, anywhere near your eyes, or gods forbid, your er.. naughty bits - you will wind up transferring some of the heat into those areas.

And if you think the pepper was hot in your mouth, just wait until you get some of that juice in an area it doesn't belong in...

You could go blind - and not by handling your "naughty bits".. but by getting some of that blazing heat in and around your eyes. NO joke here.

So... For expediency's sake, these guys use gloves - which can be thrown out after they're finished handling the peppers. And then they can touch themselves anywhich way they want without all of that excruciating pain.

Oh.. and Bees and such - when they go to pollinate the flowers, the peppers - and the heat - doesn't quite exist just yet. The heat comes from the insides of the pepper - mainly the seeds and white veins that they're stuck to.

I get it now, if it's all internal...

think these kinds of plants have any animals that eat them?

:oooo:

gogo

Gogo: I think chattius and Wolfie covered all the pointers in there. And the gloves thing; deffo not marketing. I have far too many, too warm memories of handling chiles...

And yeah, there are animals which can eat those monsters just fine. Birds for example. They miss the receptors which cause all that misery to us. >_<

• Like! 1

Gogo: I think chattius and Wolfie covered all the pointers in there. And the gloves thing; deffo not marketing. I have far too many, too warm memories of handling chiles...

And yeah, there are animals which can eat those monsters just fine. Birds for example. They miss the receptors which cause all that misery to us. >_<

That's interesting!

If we have to wear gloves, this means that the capsaicin is kind of corrosive and can actually destroy our skin cells? What about those birds ( k, not the bees :P) ... cool info about them not having the receptors to "feel" this...but does this as well provide immunity to them regarding it's corrosive effects that we would incur if we handled them by hand?

:)

gogo

Misery...? I dunno about that.. Only if you over do it. :D

But yeah, it would make sense that birds can handle that kind of thing - they can - and do spread the seeds after they've eaten the fruit (the pepper)... I'll leave it to your imagination as to how that happens.

@ Gogo

It's not so much corrosive.. It's more of a pain stimulus.

OK.. Time for some molecular biology.

Capsaicin is a molecue that attaches itself to certain receptors. These receptors are not all over your body, they're only found in mucus membranes - the wet parts of your body - eyes, nose, mouth, genitals and your back end (which is why it sometimes burns as you relieve yourself).

The dry parts of your skin - everywhere else - is immune as those receptors aren't immediately available. There IS some potential for capsaicin to cause an effect on other parts - but that only happens if there's an intermediary layer. This is why products like Icy Hot work to relieve pain.

The receptors for such molecules can be likened to the electrical plugs we use every day. The ones we use in North America are different from other places in the world. You can't plug your North American 3 prong plug into one in say, the UK - they use a completely different standard plug. All of the receptors in your mouth are all tuned to one type of molecule they can connect with. When you eat something sweet, for instance, you're tasting with only the sweet stuff receptors. Salty stimulates the salty receptors, etc...

Edited by wolfie2kX

Yep. Capsaisin only fools your body that it hurts. There is no actual damage. Well, save straight input to eyes or something like that. And the excessive stimulus could hazardous to some, say, heart disfuctions and such. Not to mention those with allergy to papricas, etc.

From Wiki:

Capsaicin (pron.: /kæpˈs.ɨsɪn/; 8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide, ( (CH3)2CHCH=CH(CH2)4CONHCH2C6H3-4-(OH)-3-(OCH3) ) is the active component of chili peppers, which are plants belonging to the genus Capsicum. It is an irritant for mammals, including humans, and produces a sensation of burning in any tissue with which it comes into contact. Capsaicin and several related compounds are called capsaicinoids and are produced as a secondary metabolite by chili peppers, probably as deterrents against certain herbivoresand fungi.[1] Pure capsaicin is a hydrophobic, colorless, odorless, crystalline to waxy compound.

So only mammals are affected.

There was a TV cooking show once and one person was cutting Chili and another did a joke. The chili cutting moderator was laughing till he had tears in his eyes and then in a reflex he wiped his eyes....

And his comment after returning to the show after medical care: I don't know why insurance wanted gloves, they should have forbidden jokes...