Currently Watching...

Omnicide

5 hours ago, Flix said:

For some reason the release of this show has prompted me to go back and watch Star Trek: The Next Generation.  I'd only ever seen random episodes in syndication was I was growing up in the 90's. I'm determined to watch all of it.  178 hour-long episodes.  :heat:

I've only made it through Season 2 currently.  It's so good, very much like classic Trek (my favorite).  I've read this was because Gene Roddenberry was still heavily involved in the first two seasons.

Next Gen is absolutely my favorite from the franchise.  I still to this day cannot BELIEVE how much content they used to put per season in those day... seven years... 178 episodes! lol the actors themselves must have been exhausted having to tape so much :lol:  ...  Every time I watch an episode of Picard there's so much in the musical orchestration that just zings you right to the style of Next Gen...those strings... that Brass Section!

:)

gogo

With Picard now over, we have started to finally dig into the third year of Castlevania...

needless to say... excellent

needless to say... so... so .. violent

:lol:
:oooo:

p.s. Seriously...the voice acting is stellar... who are these guys, and who writes this stuff? At times the episode seems to get pulled into a worm hole of self indulgence...which I LOVE... hello the captain conversing with the dude and his band of monsters... they didnt have to do this...but this is what all together across the episode adds up to pure emotional satisfaction... 

keep goin Castlevania... episode three...tonight! 

its seems like the days are rushing by.  With the virus in full force, work is asking for so much OT, and this only leaves me about one hour at night in between OT shifts to watch something.  Been getting through Transylvania, one episode per day

... I love this series...but must say its taking me some time to get through this new surprising shift in philosophic pondering, and very long often-melancholy moments of sometimes odd but (i guess) revealing moments of character and course of life introspection :lol:

Where are all the fangs and blood!

Kind of makes me think that this year will be a huge slow burn.. maybe for next year? Or..  are these last episodes going to give us the gristle we're looking for? :D The dungeon sessions are just awesome though!

:D

gogo

If anyone had a wife or gf who pesters them to watch rom-com movies I have one you'll actually like. "Mr. Right" with anna kendrick. The guy is an assassin with quirks. Its funny and action packed. Something for both of you. Lol

Edited by Veracious
17 minutes ago, Veracious said:

If anyone had a wife or gf who pesters them to watch rom-com movies I have one you'll actually like. "Mr. Right" with anna kendrick. The guy is an assassin with quirks. Its funny and action packed. Something for both of you. Lol

didnt know she was in that... LOVE Anna Kendrick!   She has a natural aptitude for comedy

:bounce:

gogo

57 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

didnt know she was in that... LOVE Anna Kendrick!   She has a natural aptitude for comedy

:bounce:

gogo

She's hysterical. Youtube her on the trevor noah show

Lord...im outta touch :lol: Trevor Noah is new to me...  very entertaining... and watched some youtube with the both of them going at it with inbetweens...

Beautiful!  She's just as funny and funnily sharp as I remember her from her movies

Some folks just got that timing

:superman:

gogo

I am Currently watching on Catch Up on my Sky Set Top Box: Manifest Season 2, But watched all of season one to remind me of what the show was all about. Does anyone else watch it? It is okay if not, it is not going to be everyones cup of tea. I have avidly been watching all of the DC Super Hero shows: Arrow, Supergirl, Flash, DC Legends of Tomorrow and now Batwoman, oh and also on catchup Season 3 of West World, though it feels like it has gone off point to me, but that could  just be me personally, I would have invented a new kind of Western frontier, in keeping with the theme, introduce a few new characters but keep William as the central villian, I could be wrong but I got the sense that he was the Yul Brynner like, based character of the original West World movie. At least that was my sense of him, does anyone get that same sense too? Sorry to ask, just curious.

Edited by SheHawk

Was watching 'F.P.1 antwortet nicht' from 1932/33 an early science fiction movie. It was done before the Nazi took over: It had a jewish songwriter, author of the book emigrated to USA and did horror movies like 'the Wolf man' later. The set was expensive so the movie was filmed with 3 groups of actors: a german, an english and a french one at the same set and studio: F.P.1 antwortet nicht / F.P.1 does not answer or the cut version Secret at F.P.1/ I.F.1 ne repond plus. The main reason to watch it was that my best friend and me sung the intro song of the german version very loud and false most of the times flying a double seated glider for two decades. Today was the annual of his death day caused by cancer.

I watched the english version this time and I missed the song in it. The lighttower song was there but not the 'Flieger grüss mir die Sonne' / 'Pilots greet the sun from me' which was the main reason I watched the movie. The plot was; transatlantic flights not possible yet, a floating platform was used as an airport mid in the atlantic, platform got sabotaged, electrics failing so no SOS, it is sinking and the hero starts to a flight of no return for help. However he spots a ship, parachutes and an international rescue mission is started...

Was probably the last 'international project and friendship' movie before the war. The idea was realized in some way just a year later by having a stationary catapult-ship mid in the southatlantic and flying boats could refuel. Post from Europe to South-america was transported in just 5 days instead 15.

There were several covers of the song. The original song:

• Like! 1

We're watching Rango, an academy award winning animated feature on Netflix.

... it was slow to start, but...something in the ads for this old movie (2011??) kept drawing me in.  It didnt take very long to see that this movie is a critics movie.. probably not going to be a big deal for mainstream.  It's a breathtaking movie with jaw-dropping animation... the kind that we saw in The Owls of Ga'Hoole... stuff like this only comes out every few years... it must takes years of work putting this together... and Rango is no exception... I do abor pretty much all the acting of Johnny Dep :lol: but... ever single character in this movie is absolutely animated to perfect.  The pores on their skin, their hairs, slope of jaw and pure imagination of a cast that who'w breadth I've not seen before...where are these ideas coming from! 

Gore Verbinsky , take your bow ...even now almost ten years later

:thumbsup:

gogo

'The Keeper', 'Trautmann'

Was in pay TV and our oldest wanted to watch it. When she was playing goal-keeper in her district soccer team for girls she won the best keeper trophy and was asked which autogram she wanted. The organizer of the tournament had autograms from the national keepers Kahn and Lehmann. She said Trautmann.... He was her all time idol. My mistake, when she was 8 and playing in a mixed team she had a finger nearly bended over and whining at the shot from an older boy and I said she will never be a Trautmann...

British-German co-production about a German prisoner of war who became goal-keeper in Manchester in the afterwar years.. Fans hated him because he was a 'Nazi'. It were the Jews in Manchester who defended him. He became famous in a cup final when he got a head injury but continued playing (no replacement players allowed then) and defended his goal till the end. Later they found out that he played with a broken neck and a wrong movement would have been his death on the playfield.

While recovering at hospital his then only kid was killed in a car accident. When he ended his career as a Keeper the fans who hated him first removed the goal poles because they said: there will never anyone again good enough to defend them.

He got the highest british and german medals for civilists for bringing the countries together better than any politician could.

A quite good movie for whole family if you can ignore some fantasy and not facts. Hard for our oldest who read all books about him, not so for the youngest who never heard of him. So some discussion after watching the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Trautmann

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished watching Ozark season three last night...its the slow burn feeling with beautiful score (never quite heard anything like it... kind of like a drum beat accompaniment that gets off beat and off tune sometimes)  that keeps me riveted.  The season three finale was a satisfying punch to the stomach.

Looking forward to a season four... Jason Bateman is doing well!

:mafia:

gogo

• 1 month later...

And... guess which streaming company just released a sick trailer for perhaps one of the worlds' most famous science fiction authors ever... Asimov... Foundation!  A huge sprawling series that covers 10000 years of galactic empiring... absolutely one of my favorite sci fi reads... maybe a series vast and rich enough to challenge Game of Thrones

Foundation!

I only watched one quarter...dont want this to give up the ghost too quickly for me! :lol:

:)

gogo

Speaking about science fictions authors, what about Douglas Adams?

His best book in my eyes however is not science fiction but a nature documentation: 'Last chance to see'. The BBC did a 6 episodes series based on this book. 20 years later to see if something had changed. The idea of the book was: if people see how cute and funny some endangered species are then people would more care for them

I have the DVD-Box from years back and we watched it at all this rain with no TV because atenna was full of water. Interestingly our AuPair fro mNewZealand never saw this episode.

Parental guidance needed, what you think?

47:25 onwards

2 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Wa never actually a fan of Douglas Adams ... too much laughing!  😄
:whip:

Gogo

Paranoid androids, the earth is destructed, cruel mice and not peaceful Trump control the world and you say too much laughing... It's all so depressing

Or take John Carpenter's 'Dark Star', speaking to a Bomb which thinks it is god and says: And it became light. So depressive... Noone survives.

I actually kinda "okay" liked the movie...but the written series never pulled me in at all... I was a huge and am still a best fan of no-nonsense "hard" sci fi... 

no laughter allowed!

:whip:

gogo

You should really read the non scify book from Adams when bibleotheques have it. Nonsense is away from facts and in this book he writes about facts, but in a funny way.

So you are more into E.E.(doc) Smith and the Lensmen cycle? Was close between this and Asimov's Foundation for the best scify series ever written.

In germany it is easy: Grandpa read Perry Rhodan, dad read it, kids read it, ... Starting in 1961 every week a new booklet with 66 papers... 2 billion copies sold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Rhodan

• Like! 1
22 hours ago, Gilberticus said:

Currently, I'm just watching Last Man on Earth. But I am so beyond excited; the new Bill and Ted comes out August 28th.

never heard of that 

is it sci fi?

something from twillight zone?

:drool:
gogo

Rewatching 'Blade Runner' and 'Blade Runner: 2049' after just finishing my latest re-read of 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' by Phillip K. Dick.

Last Man on earth, I am Legend, The Omega Man, all the same story.

A virus turned all people into a mix of zombie and vampires. And a lonely man searches other survivors...

Variants are everyone killed by radiation, asteroids, ...

I like 'The Quiet Earth'. Engineers try to help the world by installing an energy net around the earth so everybody would have access to energy whereever he is. Something failed and one of the engineers notices that something terrible happened, he seems to be allone.

• Like! 1

Last Man on Earth is a dumb comedy series with Will Forte, gogo. You haven't heard of it because it sucks. Good God, does it suck.  A virus does kill off most of humanity, but there aren't cannibals, vampires, zombies, etc. Will Forte spends like five minutes in the first episode looking for people, then, because he's a selfish butt, starts enjoying being alone. He stumbles into Kristen Schaal's camp, and they slowly discover a small group of people. These people wander around, being goofballs. The show is wildly unrealistic and isn't even well-written. But I watch it because I like dumb comedies as background noise when I'm building in Rising World. I can't exactly watch things like the Hannibal series, as I miss too many details. Some times, I see a fun-looking home to build. I also like January Jones. I don't think it's anywhere besides Hulu. I think there's also a movie with the same name, shot in like the 60s or something, but I haven't seen it.     

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Well I finally finished Star Trek: The Next Generation.  It took me 5 months lol.  That show was solid gold though, especially starting around season 3, it seemed like the writers were hitting a home run with nearly every episode.

I've moved onto a show that's been recommended to me by several friends on Netflix: Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I just finished it tonight .  I had wrongly assumed this was just a kid's cartoon.  The show is incredibly well done.  The characters very memorable and more complex than you would expect, many jokes legitimately laugh out loud funny, stakes that get you very emotionally invested, just overall a really well-written and produced show.

• Respect! 1