Critique my TG Build

Tybudd

Can't think of a name I just want a TG that is fun, I tried one of the source Warden builds, and when I seen that it hadn't sped up by the time I was 38, I deleted him, just never got to the point where I had enough through put, now I have been really looking at the TG skills, and I remember that on top of the fact that my SW TG took forever to kill, it also took alot of damage ( I didn't have Tactics Lore), it seems like the only true Boss Killings skills are in Dev. Guardian.

So with that said here are the skills that I set up, its set up to be mainstream Dev. Guardian supported by SW, Lost fusion is just a lost cause on the console. With the huge bugged mod that heals the enemy instead of you (Jolt?)

Edited by Tybudd

Level Skills ASAP Points Max Points Order to Mastery

2 Devout Guardian Focus 5 110 3rd

3 Enhanced Perception 120 2nd

5 Tactics Lore 200 1st

8 Concentration 1

12 Armor Lore 75 4th

18 Sword Weapon 75 7th

25 SW Focus 75 9th

35 SW Lore 115 6th

50 Constitution 75 5th

65 Toughness 75 8th

OK, Playstyle wanted is Dev. Boss killer, and SW as my Area of Effect Experience Grinding. Also survivability.

Not using Bargaining, because I have a bargainer, but that's why this tune has enhanced perception.

I'd like to know do you think I have enough skills to survive defensively. If so did I pick my defensive skills in a good order, and the order in which I mastered them?

Also I planned on basing this build around the Legendary boneslicer sword, since I can go and get it whenever I want to upgrade it so that is the reason I have Sword Weapon, if you think it isn't worth it please say, or if you think I should replace it with another defensive statistic.

I read in some areas that Warding Energy Lore really wasn't worth it, and Toughness would later supply moreso. Thanks in advance you guys, I'll post my though for my skills and mods in a few. Kinda in a rush since its time to leave from work:)

Edited by Tybudd

Rune Eating is going to be based on higher level Regen Per Hit Rings (RpH)

Dev. Guardian CA's (1st, 2nd, 3rd)

Buff T-Energy Shroud - 1 Rune Buff Suit Mods (Derogate, Recharge, Power)

1 Deathly Spears -Eat like crazy and use RpH Rings! Mods (Gore, Singe, Jab)

2 Battle Extensions - 1 Rune till around 1 sec Reg, then eat more Mods (Double, Efficiency, Intent)

3 Combat Alert - Eat as needed Mods (Barricade, Repair, Party)

4 Dedicated Blow - 1 rune till Around 1 sec Reg, then eat more Mods (Bedazed, Intent, Enforce)

Source Warden CA's Mods (1st, 2nd, 3rd)

Buff #2 Untouchable Force - 1 Rune Buff Suit Mods (Mind Con, Paralyze, Field D. )

1 Charged Grid - Eat runes Mods (Substance, Substance, Longevity)

2 Fiery Ember - Eat Runes at Character Level Mods (Incinerate, Frost Prot, Sustain)

3 Icy Evanescene - Eat Runes at Character Level Mods (Icy Needle, Fire Prot, Sustain)

Edited by Tybudd

Hmmm. My favourite character class! As such, I do have some strict opinions about him (okok, about everything in this game :P

Bot in a Bubble on a Bike The OP, and Posts #14 and 17 in the thread will give you my insights to the TG.

Source Warden addition to any TG is just a simple matter of fitting the 2 related skills into the build, so IMO your outline looks fine for now... except the exclusion of WEL. As long as you are going to have an energy shield, this skill is an absolute must. Note that there are item modifiers that get unlocked with WEL such as "max. shield strength +x%" and "shield regen +x%" which can make you nigh-invulnerable with a properly-modified (and stacked) combat alert(s).

A feller named Vaclaf posted a "trio" of builds in the TG builds section, I highly recommend reading them, even though he is an avid Lost Fusion fan... his work overall is superb.

A final thought would be to have a couple of items to swap in/out for either of your "modes" - mob-wading or boss-thrashing. Obv, you will focus on elemental damage increases and +SW combat arts for your mob suit... and physical damage and +GI arts for your bosskilling setup, etc.

I second this. The choices themselves look solid overall, but you will want to swap one of your skills for WEL. Without it, T-Energy Shroud gives about as much protection as a piece of paper. I've learned that the hard way.

Nice the clarity you give on WEL was definately needed insight. I notice that your Genie in a bottle build... Bot in a bottle, is darn there 100 percent single target, since its based on normal weapon attacks, but with the goal build hs. I wanted the SW CA's mainly for the Area of Effect aspect of it, do you think it's worth it, as well has having a 2ndary buff, that's mainly the only reason that I picked a focus for it.

As you can see I picked Untouchable Force to add more stun chance, not sure if its needed in boss gameplay but seems nice coming from a guy that cherishes stuns with his Pyro High Elf.

And if I was to take WEL, what do you think would be worth dropping. I'm almost thinking of making this a 1 buff build, if UF buff isn't as strong as it seems on paper, I don't even care about the Gold mod on it actually.

I don't have much Confidence in SW's Area of Effect skills from my low level attempts of using it were horrible in comparison to HE's Area of Effect, but I've heard that later is good.

What you think?

HMm, also noticed that you said you use Willpower to help with your Energy shield, but I didn't see any information that supports it as a helper to energy shields, what is the connection?

Edited by Tybudd

Upon Further Reading, I'm thinking to get WeL I'm going to replace toughness, if I get enough shield energy it will negate the usefulness of Toughness anyway.

It is said that you don't need Constitution if you are using 100% Warding Energy, but how do you achieve 100%?

Edited by Tybudd

I would imagine that pumping points into Warding Energy Lore makes it more viable to maintain the energy shield all the time. Don't forget that there is gear or set items that also pump up the shield.

Nice the clarity you give on WEL was definately needed insight. I notice that your Genie in a bottle build... Bot in a bottle, is darn there 100 percent single target, since its based on normal weapon attacks, but with the goal build hs. I wanted the SW CA's mainly for the Area of Effect aspect of it, do you think it's worth it, as well has having a 2ndary buff, that's mainly the only reason that I picked a focus for it.

As you can see I picked Untouchable Force to add more stun chance, not sure if its needed in boss gameplay but seems nice coming from a guy that cherishes stuns with his Pyro High Elf.

And if I was to take WEL, what do you think would be worth dropping. I'm almost thinking of making this a 1 buff build, if UF buff isn't as strong as it seems on paper, I don't even care about the Gold mod on it actually.

I don't have much Confidence in SW's Area of Effect skills from my low level attempts of using it were horrible in comparison to HE's Area of Effect, but I've heard that later is good.

What you think?

HMm, also noticed that you said you use Willpower to help with your Energy shield, but I didn't see any information that supports it as a helper to energy shields, what is the connection?

Everybody's first go with TG's end up this hybrid... and don't get me wrong it is a fine class and can navigate all areas of the game handily (when properly played).

SW combat arts are viable from beginning - end, with maybe some of the mods making them more desireable than the raw damage output in the higher difficulties. You just gotta build your toon correclty and concentrate on them as opposed to your melee skills. This is where being a hybrid throws a lot of people for a twist, but you can't be a great jack of all trades / swiss army knife in the early game. It works in the late game but notsomuch in Silver. So choose DG or SW aspect for the early game and pump those skills and save the other for when you are getting 4&5 points per level.

Skills you can drop for WEL are Concentration (UF is "fine", but then you need 2 buffsuits....), Constitution (I agree, shield toon's don't need HP), Swords, Armour, Toughness... in that order. Probably keep Arm/Tough as it's a good combo but I would master Toughness before Armour.

Upon Further Reading, I'm thinking to get WeL I'm going to replace toughness, if I get enough shield energy it will negate the usefulness of Toughness anyway.

It is said that you don't need Constitution if you are using 100% Warding Energy, but how do you achieve 100%?

There's a modifier for it. "absorbtion warding energy +x%" I think. TG's start with 60% absorbtion and Seraphim with 50%, so with a TG, you only need to add 40%... but with a seraphim, you need 50% to achieve full absorbtion on your shields. I didn't ususally go for 100% absorb, since on console we don't get the blue bar that indicates shield strength. So, to "guess-timate" my shield strength, I tried a simple trick - I calculated my ratio of shield strength : HP and tried to keep my absorb at a level where I could reasonably guess that my shields were getting low.

Also, with 100% absorb, you never know how much things are hitting for, and in turn, how big the chunks of life they can rip out of you when your shields do fail mid-combat.

I know we don't have the Bar saying how much of the shield is left, in the same form as the rock boss, and the Guardians, but have you every seen when the shield flashes/refreshes its graphic on you, on the console. What is that indicating.

Also, this is a guess. but doesn't your shield have a total pool of damage that it can absorb? So for example if you were in a boss fight, when there is a large amount of damage, wouldn't you eat up your shield faster if it was closer to 100% absorption?

Skills you can drop for WEL are Concentration (UF is "fine", but then you need 2 buffsuits....), Constitution (I agree, shield toon's don't need HP), Swords, Armour, Toughness... in that order. Probably keep Arm/Tough as it's a good combo but I would master Toughness before Armour.
OK... now this is getting interesting.. But at the same time adds another interesting skill to the mix. Just with how you worded your comment, and mentioning the sinergy between Toughness and Armor Lore. It would seem that based on your shield your savier, Combat Reflexes would be even more valuable if the combat table works the same as it would with other RPGs.
Since CR adds avoidance to your character, in actuality it should come into effect on the combat table before your shield, because if you effectively avoid an attack, it should never even take a toll on your shield energy in the first place. Therefore giving your shield energy more sustainable life.
Toughness on the other hand is a fail safe "AFTER" your shield energy has been depleted.
But the question is, does it work with the same form of logic that I'm using?
Come to think of it, knowing where your shield Energy lays in your TG's line of defense is key, for example when you think of the Armor Lore/Toughness combo, does that calculate before it hits your shield or after its depleted then it calculates.
Edited by Tybudd

I know we don't have the Bar saying how much of the shield is left, in the same form as the rock boss, and the Guardians, but have you every seen when the shield flashes/refreshes its graphic on you, on the console. What is that indicating.

I always thought that was odd, but never correlated it to anything (and I was thinking maybe that's the "full shields" indicator...). It could be, but I do not remember exactly.

Also, this is a guess. but doesn't your shield have a total pool of damage that it can absorb? So for example if you were in a boss fight, when there is a large amount of damage, wouldn't you eat up your shield faster if it was closer to 100% absorption?

YES!

OK... now this is getting interesting.. But at the same time adds another interesting skill to the mix. Just with how you worded your comment, and mentioning the sinergy between Toughness and Armor Lore. It would seem that based on your shield your savier, Combat Reflexes would be even more valuable if the combat table works the same as it would with other RPGs.
Unfortunately, Evasion does not work like you think. 100% evasion does not make you "unhittable", rather it would just decrease the monsters' chance to hit you by ~ 1/2 (IIRC).

Since CR adds avoidance to your character, in actuality it should come into effect on the combat table before your shield, because if you effectively avoid an attack, it should never even take a toll on your shield energy in the first place. Therefore giving your shield energy more sustainable life.
Toughness on the other hand is a fail safe "AFTER" your shield energy has been depleted.
But the question is, does it work with the same form of logic that I'm using?
Your logic is sound, but the underwhelming nature of Evasion throws off your theory. And, actually, higher armour / toughness can allow you to run lower shield absorbtion, and theoretically allow you to keep your shield up longer (before taking a "20 second break" - the amount of time it takes shields to fully regenerate).
But I found that with buffsuits, stacked Combat Alerts and the relative uselessness of enemy "spell damage" on console... I didn't need to really tinker around with too much math to "know" where my shield strength was... I had a boatload of shield energy and they never failed once I got into the higher levels (>75).

Come to think of it, knowing where your shield Energy lays in your TG's line of defense is key, for example when you think of the Armor Lore/Toughness combo, does that calculate before it hits your shield or after its depleted then it calculates.

After you get hit (Chance to Hit is a 1000-post thread of it's own accord)... then damage reduction (iirc) goes: Mitigation, Shield, Armour? But maybe shields are first. I am fairly confident high armour/toughness does not lower the damage the shields soak up, though.

Perfect, so teh last thing I need to check on is if Boneslicer is a normal Strength sword or a Short Sword.

Otherwise my build should now look like....

Level Skills ASAP Points Max Points Order to Mastery

2 Devout Guardian Focus 5 110 3rd

3 Enhanced Perception 160 2nd

5 Tactics Lore 200 1st

8 Concentration 1

12 Armor Lore 75 5th

18 Sword Weapon 75 7th

25 Warding Energy Lore 75 4th

35 Toughness 75 6th

50 Source Warden Lore 75 9th

65 Source Warden Focus 75 8th

Not even sure that I'm going to Master SW focus, depends on the feel, if I don't need extremely high suit levels for the buff, then I'll take 30 points from it to strengthen my WE Lore more, or DG focus to get more levels on my main buff, I'll have to go by feel when I get there.

3 Combat Alert - Eat as needed Mods (Barricade, Repair, Party)

is the only Mod changes

Edited by Tybudd