Caster seraphim troubles

Varthorne

Ahoy!

I made a caster seraphim a few weeks ago that I've been working on. So far, this has been the most difficult build I've tried so far; I'm having a lot of trouble with it.

I've been following the Celestial Technobabe guide: http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/11911-sacred-2-guide-celestial-technobabe-by-soldats/

I'm currently at level 34, and I'm going up against the Canarch. Aside from the first story boss (his name escapes me), I've been struggling with bosses. Octogolamus in particular took me 4-5 tries, and when finally I did beat him, it took me over 10 minutes non-stop, along with countless concentration potions (to allow me to more or less spam Archangel's Wrath). Earlier today, I went up against Xanthiar, and had a similar experience. It was a tad easier because I have two rings with 0.2s regen per hit, so AW allowed me to shorten my cooldowns considerably. I had to cast two Hallowed Restorations for every Radiant Pillar, with AW's in-between to cut down cooldowns.

Equipment-wise, I'm using regular loot that I've found so far. I have a few set pieces, but nothing spectacular. I have two weapons with -13% regen times on them, but I'd rather use a regular sword I found, since it gives AW higher base damage. I haven't eaten many runes, since I wanted to keep my cooldowns fairly short.

Does anyone have any advice? Is there something I might be doing wrong?

I was thinking I could perhaps start eating a few more runes from my skills. I assume that, most regen bonuses being percentages, there must be a point at which regen times stop increasing substantially with every level. I think my highest CA (not count HR) is at level 5; I think it might be RP.

I built a very similiar build in mention. A variation. She is currently at level 134. The only reason I mention this information is simple. Character development takes considerable time & investment. The "Technobabe" is a very late bloomer. An advanced build. Most characters I create start to flower at around level 50. Begin a full bloom at level 80. The "Technobabe" really starts to flower around level 80. Then comes into full bloom at around level 100.

It is really hard to answer any questions pertaining to your above post. I see alot of early "problems" touched upon...but this is somewhat normal with this type of late bloomer build. Level 34 is in the early stages of R&D. Keep in mind, in theory, the more aspects a character works in, the longer the build takes to show true potential.

Knowing this before I started a variation of the "Technobabe". I decided early on to only run in the Rev. Tech. aspect tree. Making room for a lot more defensive skills. Thus, by default also maxing out her damage early. Focusing early on Rev. Tech Lore, Rev. Tech. Focus & the game clincher, Ancient Magic. I have found through experience for any pure caster, Ancient Magic mastered early is key. Mastery at level 75. A true game changer.

In only running one aspect tree. I have made this pure caster much more easy to manage. Through experience, I have found running multiple aspects on a late bloomer extremely difficult. Impossible, NO! Much patience required, YES! Much experience, YES!

Hope my experience & 2 bits helps you on your quest.

I remain, :bye:

• Like! 1

It helps a little, though I already knew that some aspects of this build would be late-blooming, such as Warding Energy.

I managed to get past the Canarch without too much trouble, because I found two (identical) spears with much higher damage than anything I've found so far, and they have a +3 to all CAs, which gave AW the necessary punch to make a dent in the Canarch's HP bar.

Another question: is AW dependent on the attack value? At times it seems to miss a lot, and sometimes it seems to hit almost every time. It might also be my imagination, but I'd swear that it also varies based on the weapon I'm using.

Archangel's Wrath, I think, largely depends on if your target is standing still or not - unless you have the modifier that allows it to track (forget what it's called off the top of my head) it's targeted victim. Even still, there are still times when you will miss your target. This is mainly because unlike the Lich in the opening video, most of your targets won't stand still if they see you coming. And as such, there's the question of what is in the way between where you are and where he's coming from. If he's got to go around something, it's an automatic dodge.

I also noticed you said you have a couple of 0.2 RpH jewelry in use. Honestly, I would keep shopping and looking for MORE of those. 0.4 RpH isn't very much overall - even at low levels. I would:

a.) get more RpH rings/ammys. The more you stack, the shorter the regen times tend to be.I'd also start looking for ones with higher RpH values - 0.3 and 0.4 should start showing up any time now.

b.) look for armor with sockets you can use to extend your wearable rings/ammys

c.) maybe get ahold of some Dryad or Inquisitor Life Leech runes and socket some of those as well.

d.) look at getting Concentration as a skill.

Yes, it takes away from something else, but. in conjunction with the various focus skills, it too cuts regen times. Yes, it gives you the option of a 2nd buff, but that doesn't mean you MUST use it.

Remember, the object of the exercise is to cut regen down so you can spam AW or any other CA with ease and take the big bad boss's down faster.

Edited by wolfie2kX

I did a pure caster Seraphim on ps3 and finished Silver (I switched to PC before I could continue it). It was the weakest build I ever did, but of course I did not get anywhere close to any skill masteries.

IMO, AW is worthless without the Lock mod. Even then, it misses occasionally (most often against will-o-the-wisps).

• Like! 1

Even if having dual wielding - at bosses using a two-hzanded x% lifesteel changes a lot...

Normally I concentrate on a single aspect early and develope a second or third aspect later in game I would start archangel's wrath and the two shields probably.

A brief side note, AW does depend on your chance to hit (it's a weapon based CA, not a spell based CA). So neglecting the fact the projectile is required to hit, you also have to successfully hit. However, since it's weapon based it will also deal %LL which makes it great against bosses, unlike spell based CA's.

Don't have a thing to add. These fellas know their trade. :D

And thanks, DB, for reminding about the late bloomer- tag on these setups. Started a similar build just today, after a loong, loong time. Recently reinstalled Windows on SSD and also made few other tweaks. So Sacred 2 shall be my little test subject here. *snicker*

And it's almost like a fresh start for me. Accidentally forgot to back up my saves. (Curse your Ascaron for putting saves on different place than the norm!)

I admit, I will be making few shortcuts here and there. But I won't simply want to twaddle all those hunnerds of hours only for the heck of it.

So, it'll be bargaining glory once again. Whee...

But to not go totally OT, what's your setup on that variant, DB? If I understood correctly, Ancient Magic somewhere? I guess I should be playing safely, but I guess Shield Lore could be dropped in favor of AM. Noticed with the couple of HE casters that it really is essential if one's to play full caster.

I suppose Combat Disc. could also be another "droppable"... but I imagine casters kinda like having that skill? ;)

Armour, Toughness and Shield lore help get you to end-platinum (when Warding Energy actually becomes useful, according to the guide)... so dropping shield lore may make you kinda squishy until WE starts pulling its weight.

• Like! 1

Yeah, I wouldn't really want to drop CD, as it adds more variety to the combos, which I very much like meself. :) I don't even remember, if I ever pulled out a char with Shields... But still, I only ever got around mid-Platinum with my DW-Seraphim, around early 90'es, if memory serves. I'll see how this little experiment works out.

Varthorne, in hopes this will aid you further in your quest of the "Technobabe".

As described earlier. A varient.

Skills:

1. Rev. Tech. Lore

2. Combat Discipline

3. Armor Lore

4. Rev. Tech. Focus

5. Constitution

6. Ancient Magic

7. Sheild Lore

8. Concentration

9. Toughness

10. Warding Energy Lore

Mastered Armor Lore, Rev. Tech. Focus & Ancient Magic first.

Combat Arts:

AW- Salvo, Lock, Vulnerable (boss killer)

FN- Impulse, Stun, Flux (mob control)

WE (buff)- Projectile Reflection, Magic Mirror, Block (wait until Platinum)

BFG (buff)- Enhancement, Enhancement, Accuracy

Note: I only cast the BFG buff for the added benefit. Never used the BFG weapon. Find a %LL polearm to use in conjunction with the BFG buff & AW for boss thrashing.

Gear:

Helmet- Helmet of Insanity (I&B unique)

Shoulders, Chest & Waist- Revelation of the Seraphim (set)

Arms & Legs- Twilight of the Gods (mini-set)

Gloves, Wings & Feet- Endijian's Artifacts (set)

Weapon & Sheild:

Primary Weapon- Tinwora's Curse

Seondary Weapon- %LL Polearm (boss's only)

Sheild- Glacial Defender

This is not meant to be descriptive. Only serves as a *general* guideline.

If you need anymore information. I will be happy to answer any and all questions to the best of my capability.

Happy Hunting!

I remain, :viking: