3DMark: Graphics Benchmark Software

daemonrocks23

My friend got this cool software that is meant to test gaming computers for graphics quality, and the basic testing is free! Unfortunately the only way to install the "demo" is to download it through Steam, but it's a little less then a gig, and takes about at most 15-20 minutes to do a full benchmark. I used this software, and my results are in the link below :)

My Results: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/249501?

Steam application link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/223850/

All the advanced edition does is give you the options to pick and choose what features to test. The basic edition tests everything.

If you guys want to share your results, just post a link to your results below after completing the benchmark :)

I'm familiar with the software. It's as you say, quite a good benchmark on your systems 3D graphics abilities.

Btw, whoever told you that you MUST get it from Steam is mistaken. You can get your copy directly from their website without the Steam rigamarole. They have several mirrors around the world including the US, the EU, and Asia...

FWIW, I'll pass on it. I did it once a few versions back when Windows 7 first came out and I had a video card I thought was halfway decent. The test ran more like a SLIDE SHOW. Pity, the scene they were generating looked extremely cool. In other words, if you're gonna go the route of downloading this, you best be using a really good video card, preferably in SLI or Crossfire mode.

I'll run it, once I get my system confed so that no outside thingies will make the test lose focus. Just needed an email notification popping up and halt the test goes. xD

Oh well, here's my results for the first one: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/264201? Will be updated with Cloud Gate, once I rerun it again. Hopefully without interruptions this time. :P

Wolfie: Mind you, I have over 3 years old card and no slideshow. Tho, to be completely honest, it lags quite a bit at times. Good one though, that card. Really got best bang for the bucks when I bought it. Was around 100€ or so.

Well. The card I was using at the time should have been the GT 220. Which isn't a bad card - but certainly not top of the line..

Then agian, you seem to have double the CPU power (you got a quad, I've only got a dual core chip) and 6 GB of RAM under Windows 7 64 bit. I'm running 4 GB with rougly 3.5 GB free on what was a Win XP SP3 box.

Wolfie: Yep. That explains a lot. Didn't even remotely calculated CPU there, although it does matter, whether you have brand spanking new CPU vs. older one. And memory deffo effects lots of things.

Just btw, ran the Windows WEI-tests again after reinstall after I changed Windows HD to SSD. If memory serves, my previous score was around 5.4, just because the Windows HD was slow as h***. Now it sits at 7.2. Which is nice considering I don't have the newest setup. ^^

And Sacred 2 runs really nice. Made an exception and put it on the Windows HD, just 'cause of SSD.

I suppose I should have looked a little further right on the page, there are indeed download mirrors, but I would recomend downloading through Steam, as the installation process is much more streamlined then downloading the installer, no chance of changing settings that could affect the test results, only difference between our systems is the other software installed, and the actual machines themselves.

3DMark will run on slightly older hardware, where as 3Dmark11 requires DirectX 11 compatable hardware, and Directx 11 to be installed :)

I'm thinking of rerunning the test and dropping everything down to basic that could interfere with the test results ;)

For the purposes of comparing, I recommend this:

• Install through steam, and then run all the tests at once. No custom tests, as that can affect the preformance.

• post link to the results, and then you are done :)

• If you can do firestorm(Highend gaming systems), go for it! I'm interested in seing how people do with that :)

I am interested in seeing a standardized comparison :)

Something's fishy here. You say the file from Steam is "just under a Gig"..?

I am currently downloading the file directly from 3DMark's Techspot mirror. The file I'm getting is 280 MB...

Exactly how big of a file is the Steam version?

Wolfie: Points around 2 gigs here, when installed. It could also be that it is tightly packed and during installation exponentially expanded. Just a thought though, I'm not totally sure.

But I do think Steam's not doing funny business, as many people would deffo notice if there was something strange happening.

I'm sure it is a tightly packed ZIP (or some other format) self extracting archive. The file I was interested in was that downloaded file,,,

Now I am really puzzled. You say the full installation of the basic version is sucking up TWO GB:)

I just had a look at the C:\Program Files\Futuremark folder - and the whole shebang is all of 378 MB.

Well, once thing comes to mind; the Steam edition is somewhat dumb and contains the full version files, although one can't use 'em. Which would be outright ridiculous... But, I dunno.

Just checked the installation folder and one file, named data0002.dat is the space hogger. Approx. 1,8GBs that one. The remaining files take about 160MBs.

Guess that could make a quick comparison, checking the install-folders contents.

I get 1.90 GB here for my install located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\3DMark, and indeed, the meat of my install is the data0002.dat file.

I trust Steam, and thats how I have a few of my games, mainly cause thats the authorization method.