World War Z

Etherian

I am excited about the potential of this film. There is also talk about turning the movie into a trilogy. Which seems to be the long term trend these days with any successful book turned film.

Here is a quick run down of what will be known as...

"World War Z is an upcoming post-apocalyptic horror film directed by Marc Forster and written by Matthew Michael Carnahan. It is based on the novel of the same name by Max Brooks. Brad Pitt stars as Gerry Lane, a worker at the United Nations, as he searches the globe for information that can stop the zombie outbreak that is bringing down nations.[2] Plan B Entertainment secured the film rights in 2007 and Forster was approached to direct. In 2009, Carnahan was hired to rewrite the script to the film. Filming began in July 2011 in Malta on an estimated $125 million budget, before
moving to Glasgow in August 2011 and Budapest in October 2011. Originally set for a December 2012 release, the production suffered some setbacks. In June 2012, the film's release date was pushed back and the crew returned to Budapest for seven weeks of additional shooting. Damon Lindelof was hired to rewrite the third act, but did not have the time to finish the script and Drew Goddard was hired to rewrite it. The reshoots were due to take place between September and October 2012. World War Z is due to be released on June 21, 2013 in 2D and RealD 3D selected theaters."

Being a fan of this genre for most of my life. Hope is high. 28 days was decent by all accounts. Not EPIC however. The potential is the sky for this trilogy.

I remain, smiley_emoticons_zombie02.gif

Edited by Etherian
  • Like! 1

I really like zombie movies, especially The Walking Dead, so I will definitely watch this as soon as it comes to theater.

This is the film that started it all for me as a young child. Every now & again, I still enjoy watching the film. Even if there is a little cheese. A cult classic in my humble opinion.

I remain, :viking:

I am excited about the potential of this film. There is also talk about turning the movie into a trilogy. Which seems to be the long term trend these days with any successful book turned film.

Here is a quick run down of what will be known as...

"World War Z is an upcoming post-apocalyptic horror film directed by Marc Forster and written by Matthew Michael Carnahan. It is based on the novel of the same name by Max Brooks. Brad Pitt stars as Gerry Lane, a worker at the United Nations, as he searches the globe for information that can stop the zombie outbreak that is bringing down nations.[2] Plan B Entertainment secured the film rights in 2007 and Forster was approached to direct. In 2009, Carnahan was hired to rewrite the script to the film. Filming began in July 2011 in Malta on an estimated $125 million budget, before

moving to Glasgow in August 2011 and Budapest in October 2011. Originally set for a December 2012 release, the production suffered some setbacks. In June 2012, the film's release date was pushed back and the crew returned to Budapest for seven weeks of additional shooting. Damon Lindelof was hired to rewrite the third act, but did not have the time to finish the script and Drew Goddard was hired to rewrite it. The reshoots were due to take place between September and October 2012. World War Z is due to be released on June 21, 2013 in 2D and RealD 3D selected theaters."

Being a fan of this genre for most of my life. Hope is high. 28 days was decent by all accounts. Not EPIC however. The potential is the sky for this trilogy.

I remain, smiley_emoticons_zombie02.gif

I'm stoked for this movie Eth!

Have you read the science write up of the back ground of this movie? It's in Wikipedia, based upon the novel, absolutely fascinating!. The world wavers back and forth in the battles tween the zombies, and they can apparently walk across the ocean floor!

See how fast these things are?

Steroids!

:oooo:

gogo

The overall theme is what really caught my eye at first. The author, Max Brooks, holds nothing back. Changing the Zombie landscape forever.

These Zombies are different from any other Zombie before them. Almost as if they have evolved into something much more terrible.

In my opinion, the author expresses this best....

Fear and uncertainty

"Brooks considers the theme of uncertainty central to the zombie genre. He believes that zombies allow people to deal with their own anxiety about the end of the world.[11] Brooks has expressed a deep fear of zombies:

This mindlessness is connected to the context in which Brooks was writing. In a July 2006 interview, he declared: "at this point we're pretty much living in an irrational time", full of human suffering and lacking reason or logic.[13] When asked in a subsequent interview about how he would compare terrorists with zombies, Brooks said:

The lack of rational thought has always scared me when it came to zombies, the idea that there is no middle ground, no room for negotiation. That has always terrified me. Of course that applies to terrorists, but it can also apply to a hurricane, or flu pandemic, or the potential earthquake that I grew up with living in L.A. Any kind of mindless extremism scares me, and we're living in some pretty extreme times.[3]"

The Zombies of this film are insane. They come to put a serious hurting on anyone & anything organic in nature. Even the animals of the world have to fear for their lives.

A very unique idea on an old tale.

I remain, :bounce:

• 3 months later...

I got very very excited when I saw the trailer for this movie!!

The presence of Brad Pitt (don't really care he's in it) implied the movie makers had the money to hire the A list actors. Which implies they have the money to hire the best lighting technicians, directors, caterers, casting directors, make-up artists, costumers, etc...

The trailer had me hooked.

I expect a wild ride on this one!!!

• Like! 1

Only 9 days left. Another, can not wait!

I remain, :blowup:

Yes, this listing and a few others are part of a group I've been waiting for.

The presence of Brad Pitt (don't really care he's in it) implied the movie makers had the money to hire the A list actors. Which implies they have the money to hire the best lighting technicians, directors, caterers, casting directors, make-up artists, costumers, etc...

What's funny is that the first time I saw this trailer, I didn't know what it was about! Did you notice that they don't show SO much of the creatures following them as being "zombies" ? After I saw it a few times, just becuase it was well edited and had an amazing wall effect, I had to read up about it on Wikipaedia and THEN I got it...zombies!

I love catching glimpses of the zombies faces, this has always been a fascination of mine, in all the zombie moveis I've seen..it's always the weakest part of zombies, coupled with their movements...Camera's usually on do small glimpses of fast zombies, it's easy to make them look cheezy

:)

gogo

My problem with this movie is that I have read the book, and from what I've seen so far in the trailers, other than the general story, the movie and the book have nothing in common. It's just another glorified summer blockbuster...

• Like! 1

It's super tough having to reconcile this. I remember reading game of thrones way way back, first season when it was released as a book, and I carried it about in my head as almost-gospel. The movie coming out terrified me. I had created the perfect "movie" in my head from what I had read, and didn't want anyone else's interpretation getting in the way. AFter so many reboots, rewrites and reduxes of tons of other movies, medias, boox, et al in last few years, I've gotten pretty good at giving up my first love for how I encounter a what I would have called "true" media and replaced it with "my first encountered interpretation. This keeps me open for new interpretations, and I can now kind of enjoy media translations and remakes, but it's still difficult. If we get something in our head that's awesome, specially tempered by a first seeing of it, hard to get away from our love for the first one.

gogo

I know what you mean. Honestly, I don't have a problem with new interpretations, as long as they are well-meant. Look at the "Man of steel" example. DC comics have re-written the stories of classic comic heroes like superman numerous times, trying to adapt to different times and tastes, without losing the original spirit of the character. In the case of "World War Z", they dump the good old-fashioned, Romero-style zombies, and replace them with some super-beings, that seem to have come out of "28 days later", just for the sake of visual effects. And instead of the various stories about the hardships of survivors of the war from around the globe, we have the run-of-the-mill almighty action hero who tries to save the world single-handedly. This is not a new interpretation. The Iron Man movies were a new interpretation. This is just the classic Hollywood recipe for a quick cash-grab. Anyway, that's just my two cents...

• Like! 1

$66 Million. Opening weekend alone. With this in mind, I would venture to say the media house made a very wise investment!

Loved the movie. Part 2 & 3 are next.

I remain, :dance:

Yes, and Monsters University made $82 million. Not to mention that even those who haven't read the book, found the ending pretty weak...Even Max Brooks himself took a few jabs at the movie...

Edited by jaxx
  • 2 weeks later...

I know what you mean. Honestly, I don't have a problem with new interpretations, as long as they are well-meant.

See though? It's that well - meant part that tests us. Do we honestly ever know truth or a human's true intent? I find it much easier to just find a way to to adjust "me" so that I can get a new treat in my life from someone's efforts. All we'll ever see is another human's comments, their writing or a produced movie. If I can find a way to enjoy every thing in a day, wouldn't it be the best way to attain all benefits?

Course, with computers and AI..I wonder if someone's going to figger out an algorithm for making a movie that hits all my buttons and they then begin to produce it as quickly as cereal boxes... how would that make me feel then?

:crazy:

gogo

Course, with computers and AI..I wonder if someone's going to figger out an algorithm for making a movie that hits all my buttons and they then begin to produce it as quickly as cereal boxes... how would that make me feel then?

gogo

I don't know mate... Personally, I'm just waiting for September... Machete Kills... :mafia:

• Like! 1

gogo

I don't know mate... Personally, I'm just waiting for September... Machete Kills... :mafia:

With you on the Machete!

And btw... I thought world war Z was AWFUL

Lost interest in the first 15 minutes (heh, probably even less) .... I really didn't like the editing, all that blurryiness/handcam thing going on...not that I'm against hand camming style movies, that huge monster movie from the hand cam was awesome, forget what it was called now... or did Schot get us up too close, and all the action was blurring?

:viking:

gogo

gogo

With you on the Machete!

And btw... I thought world war Z was AWFUL

Lost interest in the first 15 minutes (heh, probably even less) .... I really didn't like the editing, all that blurryiness/handcam thing going on...not that I'm against hand camming style movies, that huge monster movie from the hand cam was awesome, forget what it was called now... or did Schot get us up too close, and all the action was blurring?

:viking:

gogo

You mean Cloverfield... Yep, that was pretty original as a theme... proving that you don't need a huge budget to make an interesting movie...

• Like! 1

LOVED Cloverfield!!

heh, couldn't wait to run back to the computer to write up that review when I got back from movie. I love being surprised, and that story line, and how it could keep me compelled to watch was pure thrill.

gogo

LOVED Cloverfield!

heh, couldn't wait to run back to the computer to write up that review when I got back from movie. I love being surprised, and that story line, and how it could keep me compelled to watch was pure thrill.

gogo

Every now and then, there's a movie that brings new life to a classic genre. Cloverfield did that for monster movies, juast like, say, "Grouching tiger, hidden dragon" took the wuxia movie genre to the next level...