Bought 5 mousies, returned 4?

gogoblender

What a strange time... my mouse kind of died on me (again) this was a super cheap x-710 or something that Schot pickedup at a dollar store a few years ago,

69232610-260x260-0-0_A4tech+A4Tech+X7+Ga

and it's served me well. In fact, the paint on the top left of the mouse started to wear out by the repeated pressings ofmy index fingers! :4rofl:

Went to Bureau En Gros (love those guys) and picked up a cool wireless (have been on corded forever now) and the dang thing just couldn't seem to work on my room... we tried it in Schot's, and again, it was skipping!

M510_BTY4_72_dpi.jpg

... took it back to bureau en gros and bought a yummy Steel Series Kana instead... high priced quality, but ever so wonderful to use!

1326216417.19.jpeg

... beautiful in the hands, corded, no problems...but I just coudln't get over how expensive it was... 50 bux plus tax, eco tax AND I stretched out for a extra five buck warranty on it... and yeah, was very fun using it at home for two days, but it kept gnawing on me that I'd gotten ripped off :oooo:

Went back to the store the other day and picked up three mouses... all corded... and the winner?

The cheap logitech 100 for 16 bux! :bounce:

26151.png

With the extra money left over I was able to buy a sweet chinese dinner... deals galore!

lol was weird returning back so many mouses...but cuz I have a credit card, I never really felt a pinch, and this way I got to try everything out.

Manager actually processed the last refunds, and I even went for the 5.00 warranty extension again... makes it go from three years to four years, AND it's instant new mouse at the store for any reason.

Makes me wonder...is this the best way to buy stuff? Buy a whole bunch at once, try 'em all out, then return all that I don't like?

Don't want the Karma Monkey coming after me

:dntknw:

gogo

Well, I usually get my gadgets from online, so no such thing's possible. That's why I usually read many reviews and stuff before buying anything. And if possible, hear some first hand experiences, if any associates happen to have 'em.

Nice to hear you got things sorted out, Gogo. :) Kinda funny to see, that the cheapest was the winner, as usually price can be felt in such a thing as a mouse. I went quite a long time with some wireless Logitech, can't even remember the name anymore. It died on me some time last year and I got meself Roccat Savu. Was around ~60€ or something. I usually go for the cheap ones, but this is yet to let me down. Plus is corded, so no need to worry about the batteries.

Funny thing how my computing habits have evolved from corded keyb/mousie, to cordless combo and back to corded. I somehow find 'em more comfy for me. When I game or use computer, I'm stuck in front of the thing, which is a good thing, IMHO. For cordless experience, I play with PS3.

How comes the board sucks up my spacing? There's supposed to be an empty line between the chapters... :sweating:

Edited by Stormwing
  • Like! 1

I don't think there are many retail stores down here that are ok with giving a refund on a change of mind purchase. Sure, if it doesn't work thats understandable. But buying 4 mouses (or are they mice too?) to see which suits best? You'd have a a hard time pushing for a refund on that.

• Like! 1

That top rodent looks a LOT like my Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 - and the description is quite similar - down to the worn paint where my finger rests, from all the frequent clicking...

microsoft_3000_1.jpg

My experiences with mice tend to be quite the opposite - to a degree. I've bought cheapo mice - $5 specials at computer shows only to be seriously disappointed. I recall one I got - it supposededly had THE state of the art gaming laser built into it. I couldn't control the beast. I had to pick the mouse off of the mat by at least 3-4 inches to get the mouse to NOT track the mousepad. My other optical rodents - I could get away with maybe picking it up 1/4" from the table (about 1 cm or less for those metrically inclined). That rodent got tossed aside as I didn't get a receipt (paid cash).

I finally wound up going down to a computer shop where they had mice on display. They weren't plugged in or working - but they gave me a feel for how the thing fit into my hand. To me, fit is just as important as function. That said, I did go through and look at reviews and other such things as well.

All in all, I wound up getting the previously mentioned Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 and I've been very happy with it ever since. People can say whatever they want about Microsoft, evil empires and all that other rot, but I got to hand it to them - they DO make good mice.

For my laptop, I got another Microsoft offering - which is actually one of the coolest pieces of tech I've come across from them - the Microsoft ARC Mouse:

arc-mouse.jpg

Now then, the cool thing about this one - as you can see from the pic above, is that it folds itself up. And when it's folded, the power is turned OFF. This of course, means longer battery life as the battery isn't in use when the laptop is in my bag and I'm on my way somewhere with it. It's wireless and the wireless module is stored in between the two parts when it folds. It's also magnetically attached, so it's not quite as likely to fall out.

I've also found that this particular mouse works very well - there's less lag - the time it takes to move the mouse until the time it registers on the screen as a moved cursor - than with other similar mice I've used in the past.

Oh... and when it's folded OUT, it's actually about the size of a full sized mouse so the thing fits in my fist of ham very nicely, just as well as the Comfort Optical Mouse does.

• Like! 1

Well, like Gogo, I had opted for a $25 mouse (wireless, "gaming-quality", 7 buttons, etc) and threw it against a wall after a week of fustrating B/S.

Went and bought a $5 used one (wired, 3 buttons), and am a happy gamer again. Lesson learned :)

• Like! 1

I am happy with my trackballs. The last 'rat' I had was a Logitech G9x which I bought used after a computer show. It was none of the reasons listed on its features list which made me buy it, it was because it fit in my big hand (I need a rat and not a mouse).

904369-0215-R-2.jpg

I had already a carpal tunnel syndrom surgery which was could be traced back to a broken hand in my youth. So I am very carefully now, avoiding things like a repetitive strain injury.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury

• Like! 1
  • 6 months later...

Welp... I'm necroposting here because my MS Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 started flaking out on me and I felt it was time for a replacement.

I looked around to see what was available - and I could have found another 3000 but I felt adventurous..

So while perusing the weekly Fried ad (Fry's Electronics) page, I saw a sale item for a Cooler Master Storm Recon rodent. Only $20 USD. So I did a bit of research - and the reviews were fairly glowing. So I've taken the dive and gotten myself one.

On the plus side, this mouse has a few extra buttons - all of which are programmable. On the sucky side, it isn't the MS COM 3000. Meaning the side button no longer does the Magnifier feature found in Windows 7.

post-14586-0-94715600-1379689042_thumb.jpg

Aside from the looks that sort of reminds me of a recent vintage Batmobile, this is a gaming mouse that has a nifty trick - you can change the DPI settings on the fly by pressing the buttons directly behind the scroll wheel. This also changes the glow in the dark feature of the mouse from Red, to Green to Blue to Off, depending on the setting you choose - as seen here...

post-14586-0-12189800-1379689240_thumb.jpg

These colors can be changed as well using the Recon utility which strangely enough, is NOT included on a CD in the box. You have to grab it from Cooler Master's web page - which oddly enough does NOT feature this budget mouse on any of their pages. You have to search for it in order to find it.

I'll post more later when I've had a chance to check things out a bit more.

• Like! 1

Rodent update time...

I've had a bit of time to play with it and some things I really do like - the fit in my hand is pretty good. It's quick and accurate and goes right to where I want it to go. And it can't be said that you can't find this mouse in the dark unless the mouse is in the lowest possible DPI mode... Here's a composite pic of the mouse - in a dark room.

post-14586-0-28063000-1379906938_thumb.jpg

And of course, there's a few things I'm not too thrilled about. Like the profile/macro system. The multicolored LED thing is only configured for the default profile and yes, you can change the colors for other profiles, BUT, I have yet to figure out how to change the colors for those other profiles when it comes to changing the DPI like in the default.

The macros themselves are a bit of a challenge to figure out as well. You can't, it seems have it launch a specific app - which means configuring the magnifier to a specific button is not an option. But I did manage to figure out a way around that - by pinning the magnifier to the taskbar. It's now just a quick flick of the wrist to the bottom of the screen to launch it or kill it.

My only other gripe about it is that you can't disable any of the buttons in the default profile. Sometimes I find myself clicking one on the right side by accident and if I'm on a page, it wants to make the page to the previous page. It's kind of annoying - especially if I am trying to preview a post I just wrote and it just wiped out everything.. So I gotta be careful with those buttons.

My wife bought a Kensington Slimblade for her bureau work at home. A bit expensive but she managed to claim it as needed for medical reasons and lowered the costs significantly. (german tax low allows to reduce taxes by claiming extra costs)

e2ca926d-a4bb-4066-8038-c9821c8c3a0c_g.j

http://www.kensington.com/kensington/de/de/p/1444/K72327EU/slimblade%E2%84%A2-trackball.aspx

There is a lot more control in the fingers than in the hand. So aiming with a cursor on a 27inch screen when scanning x-rays and MRT photos brought by patients on DVD's is a lot easier. I am more used to the Logitech trackball which fits in my hands and using my thumb for the left click, but it is definitly a good thing.

• Like! 1

I'm very lucky, I got a mouse and keyboard when I got my computer way back in 2002, and the only parts that I still have from then is the actual tower all the hardware inside has changed, the keyboard and mouse, they have served me very well and I have never struggled with them. the keyboard/mouse combo is Microsoft, corded and optical.

Delta!

I still own by 14 years old IBM keyboard with its lead filled plate and the micro switches. Like it more than any other keyboard I tried.

Trackball vs Mouse in case of my wife:

I was told it is psychological. The desk with the screen is covered with papers and information about the patient/sick person. At a 27 or 30 inch screen the mouse needs room and aiming is not easy. With a trackball she doesn't need to clean up, can use just the fingers, no silent cursing because the cursor (is it really named after cursing) is never there where it should be...

So a clean shining trackball surely wins over a dirty rat on a smelling mouse pad if you see it from the side of the patient. Showing fine finger control instead fast hand movements invoke less fear for a surgery done by these fingers, ...

Add that too long mouse using a day can do injuries and pain-

I got the Logitech G600 Gaming mouse because the one on my iMac was starting to act up. It fits my hand nicely, has a nice positive click, and all the buttons are even programmable. The only problem is that, once programmed, none of the programmed buttons work inside games!

I haven't tried it on my Windows machine yet. I'm sure it will work great there but I need it to work on my iMac. :(

Going to the site now to see if there is a software update that might help.

[Added]

Just updated to the latest software and it seems they've "fixed" it. The keyboard macros, to record multiple keystrokes for a single button, are no longer available for the Mac. Haven't tested it on the Windows PC yet ...

Edited by Spock
  • Like! 1

I still own by 14 years old IBM keyboard with its lead filled plate and the micro switches. Like it more than any other keyboard I tried.

Trackball vs Mouse in case of my wife:

I was told it is psychological. The desk with the screen is covered with papers and information about the patient/sick person. At a 27 or 30 inch screen the mouse needs room and aiming is not easy. With a trackball she doesn't need to clean up, can use just the fingers, no silent cursing because the cursor (is it really named after cursing) is never there where it should be...

So a clean shining trackball surely wins over a dirty rat on a smelling mouse pad if you see it from the side of the patient. Showing fine finger control instead fast hand movements invoke less fear for a surgery done by these fingers, ...

Add that too long mouse using a day can do injuries and pain-

I'm not entirely sure it's psychological. Liking one particular keyboard over another is probably familiarity - you're used to the one you've got. My KB is 9 - 10 years old and I am not too thrilled with using others myself. I'm a touch typist. I almost have to be - the letters on this KB have pretty much all worn away on the letters and I would have a VERY hard time hunting and pecking manually.

But I'm used to this thing. I like some of the features - the macro buttons on top that launch stuff, the feel, the throw of the keys.. etc... I don't really care for the chicklet keys they've got on some new models and I really HATE those "ergonomic" boards. Mainly because I can't find the keys without looking. That just slows me down too much. I can maybe do 50 words per minute - or more on a normal keyboard. I'll be lucky to do 15 on one of those.

That said, if I had a few months to get used to one of those ergonomic keyboards, I would likely get used to it enough to improve on that..

Those old IBM keyboards, tho, are great. Pity you can't find too many of those old style ones any longer. Hang onto it as long as you can.

Oh.. And we've got something like what you've got in Germany - it's called a Tax Deduction.

I got the Logitech G600 Gaming mouse because the one on my iMac was starting to act up. It fits my hand nicely, has a nice positive click, and all the buttons are even programmable. The only problem is that, once programmed, none of the programmed buttons work inside games!

I haven't tried it on my Windows machine yet. I'm sure it will work great there but I need it to work on my iMac. :(

[Added]

Just updated to thelatest software and it seems they've "fixed" it. The keyboard macros, to record multiple keystrokes for a single button, are no longer available for the Mac. Haven't tested it on the Windows PC yet ...

DOH! Good thing it's not an Apple mouse - they might claim the reduced functionality was an "improvement"...

Back in 1999 I had a giant cell tumor in my left wrist. There was a great deal of time when I had little to no use of my left hand, and I'm ambidextrous.

I tried a large number of different keyboards. I ended up going with one that is quite a bit smaller than the regular full sized one for a couple of years.

Razor DeathAdder here.

Big Money.

No Complaints!

You get what you pay for in the end. Seriously!

I remain, Etherian

p.s.~ yes I am a fan of buying once and forgetting about the whole ordeal. Much time wasted otherwise, with this or that...time is money. Perhaps better said, life is worth living.

• Like! 1

Holy Deja Vu...! That mouse looks remarkably like the Cooler Master one I just got. Minor difference - there's a rubber ring around the scroll wheel and the light show on the back is in a slightly different location and has a different design... the end near the cord also flares slightly differently from mine.

post-14586-0-29570600-1379993359_thumb.jpg

Welp... I'm necroposting here because my MS Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 started flaking out on me and I felt it was time for a replacement.

I looked around to see what was available - and I could have found another 3000 but I felt adventurous..

So while perusing the weekly Fried ad (Fry's Electronics) page, I saw a sale item for a Cooler Master Storm Recon rodent. Only $20 USD. So I did a bit of research - and the reviews were fairly glowing. So I've taken the dive and gotten myself one.

On the plus side, this mouse has a few extra buttons - all of which are programmable. On the sucky side, it isn't the MS COM 3000. Meaning the side button no longer does the Magnifier feature found in Windows 7.

attachicon.gifcm-storm-recon.jpg

Aside from the looks that sort of reminds me of a recent vintage Batmobile, this is a gaming mouse that has a nifty trick - you can change the DPI settings on the fly by pressing the buttons directly behind the scroll wheel. This also changes the glow in the dark feature of the mouse from Red, to Green to Blue to Off, depending on the setting you choose - as seen here...

attachicon.gifcmstormrecon2.jpg

These colors can be changed as well using the Recon utility which strangely enough, is NOT included on a CD in the box. You have to grab it from Cooler Master's web page - which oddly enough does NOT feature this budget mouse on any of their pages. You have to search for it in order to find it.

I'll post more later when I've had a chance to check things out a bit more.

Looks Good Wolfie!

And dang, good price too

I, the Frugal Indian... do aprove!

:0

gogo

Razor DeathAdder here.

Big Money.

No Complaints!

You get what you pay for in the end. Seriously!

I remain, Etherian

p.s.~ yes I am a fan of buying once and forgetting about the whole ordeal. Much time wasted otherwise, with this or that...time is money. Perhaps better said, life is worth living.

Sooooooooo beautiful

sweet, and smooth looking.

It would take a lot of chinese dinners though

:lol:

gogo

[Added]

Just updated to thelatest software and it seems they've "fixed" it. The keyboard macros, to record multiple keystrokes for a single button, are no longer available for the Mac. Haven't tested it on the Windows PC yet ...

holy molee... A mini keyboard !

*gasp*

lol, I'm not sure if I could handle that... nostromo in my left, and mouse in my right with keyboard for my nose...

:)

gogo

My wife bought a Kensington Slimblade for her bureau work at home. A bit expensive but she managed to claim it as needed for medical reasons and lowered the costs significantly. (german tax low allows to reduce taxes by claiming extra costs)

e2ca926d-a4bb-4066-8038-c9821c8c3a0c_g.j

http://www.kensington.com/kensington/de/de/p/1444/K72327EU/slimblade%E2%84%A2-trackball.aspx

There is a lot more control in the fingers than in the hand. So aiming with a cursor on a 27inch screen when scanning x-rays and MRT photos brought by patients on DVD's is a lot easier. I am more used to the Logitech trackball which fits in my hands and using my thumb for the left click, but it is definitly a good thing.

Never seen anything like that!

Is that kinda like a billiard ball, but in a tray? Is she still finding it that much less stressful?

Now this intrigues me

:)

gogo

It are more different movements. Rollng the ball with fingertips for fine cursor movement, turning the ball with full hand for a arrow- key effect, ...

It is not just the better control, it are different movenents which prevent a repetitive stress, however it is called in english.

How the slimblade is in gaming, at least ot works for Patrizier2+3 another old Ascaron game.

We use to buy mouses, keyboards after testing. It is like buying a car, if I am too big for it I wont buy. And I probably spend more time at the computers, so spending money for better health effect when using them, ... It is like all the extras at cars which easy your life and are more expensive.

But if 15% of the people who work full day with computers suffer from hand injuries, we think you cant start early enough to look for more healthy controls than a mouse.

Using a trackball is definitely different from using a mouse. I used to have to use one when flying with the Navy. It took a bit of familiarization initially but quickly became almost second nature.

The only problem came if I had to switch back and forth often between mouse and trackball.