Guild Wars 2 - Dungeon Tank Guardian

This build is out-of-date and is here for reference only.

2jboeah.jpg

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/guardian/?3|2.1n.h15|9.1n.h15.d.1n.h1|1c.a4.1c.a4.1c.a4.1c.a4.1c.a4.1c.a4|1k.68.1n.64.1n.64.1n.64.1n.64.cd.0|0.0.u57b.u2a9.a2|56.8|e

IMO, in dungeons the Guardian is best suited to the role of tank. I built my Guardian from the ground up with that one goal in mind. I started with the ubiquitous 0/0/30/30/10 GS/Mace-Shield build. I never really saw the point of shield, so I went focus instead. Focus offers a condition-removal/blind and a shield that blocks three attacks. Ever since beta, I thought the hammer looked great on paper, but it never really worked for me in practice. So, I stuck with GS. Several times while leveling, I tried the hammer again but always went back to GS. Shortly after hitting 80 and starting regular dungeon runs, I tried the hammer again. I am not sure what was different, but the hammer came thru for me. I now use the hammer as my main weapon. I still keep a GS in my pack for those rare times that I need the very slight DPS edge it gives.

Gear

All Soldiers Armor (Power/Toughness/Vitality) with Emerald Orbs (Precision/Toughness/Power).

All Knights Weapons (Power/Precision/Toughness) with a Major Sigil of Blood (20% chance to steal health on crit) in both hammer and mace, plus a Major Sigil of Accuracy (+3% crit chance) in focus

Traits

Altruistic Healing-Heal self when applying boons to allies (By far, the most important trait. This one is huge.)

Purity-Lose condition every 10 seconds

Superior Aria-Shouts recharge 20% faster (Reduces CD on shouts, which are used to apply boons, which synergize with AH.)

Writ of the Merciful-Symbols heal allies (Makes mace #2 a healing skill.)

Two-Handed Mastery-Skill recharge 20% faster (Allows the hammer #1 & 2 self-combo more often.)

*-These are just the most important ones.

Skills

Hold the Line-Protection & regen*

Stand Your Ground-Stability & stun breaker*

Retreat-Block next attack and swiftness*

*-Applies to self and allies

If I need even more condition removal, I will replace Hold the Line with Smite Condition.

Elite

Renewed Focus-This is my panic button. When the situation is dire and everything is on cooldown, I just retreat and hit this. It grants a brief invulnerability and recharges my virtues. As soon as it is cast, I fire all three virtues and leap back into the fray.

Consumables

Mixed Berry Pies-50% chance to steal life on crit and +60 Precision*

Quality Maintenance Oil-Gain Precsion equal to %5 Toughness & 3% of Vitality

*-This was nerfed in the recent patch, but still seems to be worth it.

This build could be made even stronger by going with Superior Sigils and Runes, as well as using Omnomberry Pies and Master Maintenance Oil. That would work even better if money is no object.

Edit:

Here is a vid of this build in action. It is only AC story, but it at least gives some idea of what it looks like.

I had a great time reading your build, and it looks pretty solid to me. I have one question though :

I plan on using Knight's Armor with my Warrior, why did you pick soldier rather than Knight for the Armor?

I had a great time reading your build, and it looks pretty solid to me. I have one question though :

I plan on using Knight's Armor with my Warrior, why did you pick soldier rather than Knight for the Armor?

Soldiers gives extra survivability.

Nice read and build there! Solid as a rock tank :paladin:

I also found a bit of love for the hammer, but I need to invest in a better hammer because my GS still provides better DPS at the moment in WvW.

Nice read and build there! Solid as a rock tank :paladin:

I also found a bit of love for the hammer, but I need to invest in a better hammer because my GS still provides better DPS at the moment in WvW.

Thanks

Also, I added a video to the OP.

Oh, and something that actually works nice (although I only used it for a short while during my tanky guardian build) is Sigil of Energy - if you don't mind dropping the 3% crit chance on your focus...

Basically a free dodge roll when swapping to your mace/focus and thus allows for one more round of group healing if you trait Selfless Daring.

EDIT: another thing that works wonders in cahoots with Altruistic Healing is the staff #4. But it needs large groups to really shine. But with the orb no healing allies it passes through, and #5 can be cast on the move, it's maybe better suited for WvW zergs.

Edited by Scleameth

Yikes prices have gone up!! I think I payed about 70 or 80 silver back in Oct/Nov 2012 via a buy order. But prices are dropping now and might be around 1.5 gold in 2 weeks or so. Looks like we have the christmas holidays to blame for the high prices... many people probably worked on reaching level 80 and tried to get their hands on one of these.

I'll have to go sniff through my bank and see if I still have the focus that had this sigil equipped. If I do, then I'll pass it on...

I really appreciate the offer, but 2.8gp? :eek: That is a lot of money. My Guardian is doing OK. If you do not need it any longer, you should probably just sell it on the TP.

Heh - I wanted to give you the update last night, but I suddenly had to log off when my son had a tantrum... Bad news (for both of us either way) - I don't have the focus in my bank and have a suspicion that it might be one of the (many) items I've salvaged by accident.

Heh - I wanted to give you the update last night, but I suddenly had to log off when my son had a tantrum... Bad news (for both of us either way) - I don't have the focus in my bank and have a suspicion that it might be one of the (many) items I've salvaged by accident.

No worries. It is the thought the counts. :)

Luhate your Guardian is ossum, I can go full conditionmancer and not worry the least about dying. Not that I don't still die occasionally, but not because the mob is coming after me when I'm in a weakened state due to the downside of vulnerability/bleeds I inflict on myself with the use of my skills.