Condition Damage vs. Condition Duration

I'm still working on my Elementalist Condition Build at the moment, and I would like to know which one of these bonuses you prefer. I'm not exactly asking which one is the best, just your personal preference based on your experience.

I always go with condition damage. In PvP, you can assume must conditions will be removed before they expire. For PvE mobs, they will probably die before the conditions expire. For bosses, chances are you will hit the cap anyway so the extra duration will not really help. Also, except for the Giver weapons that are still officially bugged, I know of nothing that gives increased condition duration to all condition s. AFAIK, all those bonuses apply to individual condition types.

Not that it's a proven science or anything, but I just feel better if I try and equate to 1 +duration for every 3 +damage... I guess it's just piece of mind that I'm not loosing out one way or another.

With my low level necro I focussed purely on duration and honestly found it to be worthless against +1/+2 level critters above my level. I dunno if that holds true in higher levels where default condition damage is a lot more and duration might start playing a part, but I think Lujate's reasoning is solid and you can pretty much trust both Lujate's and Kiy's opinions as the true cahoona.

I think it's pretty clear now. Lujate's reasoning is right and pretty solid, and I also experienced PvE enemies dying before conditions expire.

At the risk of partially contradicting myself, certain conditions (I.e. Vulnerability, Cripple) do no direct damage, so would not benefit from extra condition damage. For builds focusing on those conditions, the extra duration would be a better choice. Although I am not sure if those conditions would be something you want to base a build on.

Good point there. I just finished my favourite jumping puzzle in the Hirati Hinterlands and forgot how long those stuns can last.... a stun/cripple of 5 seconds feels like an eternity - but I guess where would mostly profit from stun/cripple durations is in WvW, since most bosses and champs appear to be immune to these conditions.

First off, AFAIK Stun is not a condition.

Allow me to explain what prompted the addendum I posted earlier today. There are a few bosses that my Thief just cannot melee. In those fights, I rely on dual pistols. I generally spam #2 which inflicts five stacks of Vulnerability per hit. Earlier this week while we were mindlessly ranging down the tree boss in TA Up, I started to wonder extended condition duration might be a good idea. At less that 3sp for the sigil, I guess I could try it without too much risk.

First off, AFAIK Stun is not a condition.

True - sorry I got my terms all mixed up "stun" should read "immobilized" - one of my most hated conditions to be suffering from inches from tower/keep entrance.

Veggie pizza provides significant bonus to condition duration (up to 40%), and they're pretty cheap on TP. You might want to consider this option too.

Veggie pizza provides significant bonus to condition duration (up to 40%), and they're pretty cheap on TP. You might want to consider this option too.

Those foods might be worth considering for a full condition build, since they increase both damage and duration. In my case however, I am running a power/crit build. I only use pistols when I am forced to go ranged.