One wrong move and you are dead...

I was sweating blood and water last week when my wife looked at me as with laser beams. I was never this afraid when I work with explosives at our company.

My wife bought this nice Canon 550D second hand and I said it has an old firmware. And I thought if I do the firmware anyway, maybe I can install a hacked one with more features. So I went to the hacksite and there was a big warning on first page:

'No guarantee, your camera will be only an expensive door stopper if this fails!'

To bad that my wife was reading this too, and she said: Honey, you know I am a doc. I know 100 ways to kill you and police will never know.

But I tried after being forced to agree to buy a brandnew model if the update on the old one fails. It worked like a charm and after reading into manual pdf I thought why not to try out more. So I ordered a lot of adapters, filters and ram cards (the firmware has to be put on each ram card you use) and yesterday it was at the post.

A first try, taking a M42 to Canon adapter and using a 40 year old Zeiss objectiv - whow - tons sharper than the zoom which was together with the camera. No autofocus, no vibration control, aperature and focusing in the good old manual way. I took a shot of our second with the Zeiss 50mm 1/2.0 and the face of our second was sharp while the background was nicely blurred.

And then I made an mistake when my wife asked me if I could explain to her how I did it. I said that I am a smart man and she only a technologic lacking woman and that she would never understand in the 15 seconds before I would leave to the pub.

When I came back she had an even better photo of the twins and said: Oh there is a nice feature for focus assist in the manual. Took me 5 seconds to find it.

Grmbl

Homepage for the firmware hack

http://www.magiclantern.fm/

Sadly I couldn't photograph the canon with itself, so here is a photo from internet how a 2.8/50 looks on a Canon 1000:

Kamera_fertig.jpg

lol, Chattius... yer wife only threatened you with the 100 ways...I hear the next level's pretty tuff on the guy ^^

nice cam, and luck you're comfy with the firmware updates...even luckier, it worked!

:)

gogo

Hi

This photo isn't old, just 2 days. Old analog objective and new digital camera. Used my old filters for black and white photos while doing the photo and then used gimp to make the raw-data into a jpg.

The place is nostaltic:

While I was doing the photo I was sitting on an old appletree my grandpa did, now it is owned by my brother. We used to play as kids in this applefield. It shows the Lahn-Valley. Front is western part of Wetzlar, top is the Monastry of Altenberg belonging to Solms. The Lahn valley was voted several times as one of the most beautiful valley to visit with a canoo or by train. The train route follows the river and you have a nice view to the castles and monastries on surrounding hills.

The church in front is an old one build as a fortified church in the midages. If you view towards the point of the roof and will fly 21 more hills into this direction you will be at the place were I live now. You see only wood? 80% of the area where I live is forest :)

Altenberg_zps2f3b0d95.jpg

Greetings Chattius

Beautiful photo. Great story.

I remain, :P

p.s. - in the future, I would not doubt your better half. They have a way of coming back and making us such fool's... :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Our second was trying out the old objectives and how to blur the background with a apperature of 1.4 at a 50mm. Model was her adoptive mother: Sphynx. You know that a family can adopt a dog, but a cat will always adopt its family if it can strive around?

Katze_zps10fd4e3c.jpg

Danni wanted to try out non people first before she would take pictures of classmates at a daytrip of her school to Cologne.

• Like! 1
  • 1 year later...

Was a bit shocked yesterday: got a letter that I won a weekend at Berlin with two people to take part in a photo class about artistic undressed photo's. First I thought of a fake, then I noticed that the sender was the company from which our 15 year old daughter orders her photo equipment.

My wife had a good laugh and said that the lottery/contest had probably an age limit of 18 years and so she used my name. When our daughter arrived from school we said that I had won in a photo contest and that I will take the class with her mon to make good photos of each of us as long we weren't too old.

She was blushing and didn't know what to say. Then she said that she hoped for the 1st price or the 3rd, or one of the lower ones. Camera, macro objective, 100 Euro for camera equipment but not for the second.

Don't know if we had really taken the weekend, it was at a weekend when I will be out of country. So I phoned and the company said no problem the class is oversigned and I could get another class in winter, or a class in animal shooting in the zoo at autumn or a 500 euro coupon to buy stuff from their company.

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...