Is Sacred Citadel any good

Hi iam a big fan of the sacred series but when I first saw the video far sacred citadel, I thought mwahh. unintresting characters a bet them up not really my type of game. Sadily ive been burnt by a lot game rehashs. If any one has purchased it what are views on it. And are the characters really as one dimensional as they look.

Maybe iam just being a mard, but I havent seen anything as intresting as a temple guardian or a demon in this game. And the graphics yawn are nothing that got me excited.

Id love to be proven wrong but I no longer purchase games and hope for the best.

Eardor is out tommorow so it a tough decision.

Edited by grimwold

Curious about this as well Grimwold

would love to know if anyone's gotten their hands on it as well.

Or if there's any new video out player contributed or distributed by publisher?

:)

gogo

I have just spoken to the community manager at deep silver and he said sorry whatever he could say would be biased so his opinion would be useless. But there pushing to get a demo out tonight so at least we can try multiplayer to see how it works.

Anything compared to Guardian Heroes is a brawler (Final Fight / Double Dragon / Turtles In Time / Simpsons Arcade / X-men Arcade) with RPG elements (stats/loot). It can also be compared to Castle Crashers and Scott Pilgrim (or River City Ransom).

Videos of gameplay are popping up on YouTube already, all from the PC version.

Seraphim Mage (Xbox Gamepad)

Ranger (Keyboard)

Ranger with commentary (Xbox Gamepad)

Warrior with awful commentary (Keyboard)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvxzmX3-wV4

Well, this deffo doesn't get my Sacred meter building up... See, I might get this one eventually. And could be nice one for some couch co-op, give I can arrange one. But, I would prolly take it even if I knew nada about Sacreds. Soo... Looks okay, but I can't get my Sacred-dose from this one.

That much is a given...

Thing is though, if it had some interesting characters I probably would have bought it straight away. Who ever designed the characters really did not understand the sacred universe. Shame really a temple guardian or vampire could (or lots of others) have really made it interesting.

For anyone debating, I'd highly recommend that you try the demo before you buy. It's definitely not going to be everyone's choice game.

The gameplay is enjoyable overall. It reminds me a lot of Castle Crashers.

However, for those looking for anything close to looting goodness: I've noticed that repeating stages is pointless (without the challenges), unless you need to farm for experience/gold. Randomized loot (as found in Sacred 2, or even Borderlands) does not exist, in favour of fixed loot (which will randomly drop, but the drops are set per stage).

The loot system is much better than Castle Crashers (changing to a new weapon actually feels meaningful), but it still lacks the random factor (which makes farming fun) in Sacred 2 or Borderlands 1.

• Like! 1

I was gona download the demo and at least give it a try before being totally disappointed BUT... Steam isnt offering a demo, and on the sacred world site there claims to be a demo, but it just takes you to a page that tells ya where to purchase it. ::sigh:: no way I would buy this one without giving it a test run first.

I was never seriously considering getting this. After playing S1 and Sacred 2 for so long, the dramatic shift in game play is too much for me. I think of it more as 'Sacred Lite'. Looking at some of the early vids have convinced me it's not the type of game for me. Last time I really enjoyed a side-scroller was Mario and that was a long time ago.

Will wait for S3 to come out. Will buy that even if reviews are bad. After the 1st two games I'm kind of hooked on the series and would feel I missed something if I don't get the 3rd installment. I just hope I will like it. The last few sequels (D3 and Simcity) have been disappointments for me

Well, that's what I'm dreading too, Knucks... Really liked/like the old Sacreds, and all info about third iteration's been quite honestly scary. Simplifying things and all that nonsense.

So, no Lightning Bolt Seras, Poison Demons, heck, even X-Bow Glads 'n stuff. :explode:

In my eyes, Citadel has its pros and cons. I got it... and I am generally not happy with it. Time to say why – and I apologize for the lengthy post. It is aimed to give the best perspective possible.

Gameplay: in my opinion, the gameplay took a big dump into Citadel. Many people branded Sacred 2 as unplayable due to its many bugs. However, they got fixed one after the other, and in the end, we had a very decent game with a frighteningly addictive leveling system that was just pushing you to try and get over the next hurdle just to see how much more you can tweak your character. Tweaking characters was tons of fun, and with the multitude of builds that Sacred 2 gave us, it was craploads of fun. So many people had shopper toon networks, they were shopping and tweaking for HOURS ON END, and it was oh so rewarding to see all that work pay off. Top it off by having every character play differently, and you get an even more satisfying Sacred 2 experience. So many people posted tons of builds, each reflecting their own gameplay, and each build was FUN to try out. Some builds even got over 100 000 views for peach’s sake. This means people were HOOKED!!!

What does SC have? Button mashing, no builds whatsoever, side scrolling action and stun-locking. That would make every gameplay downright stale, repetitive and in the end, boring. What is worse, every character plays similarly. I was so hyped up to try a Seraphim, as everyone on FDM knows that I am huge Seraphim lover. Guess what, after I rerolled a warrior, he PLAYED 90% of the time THE SAME WAY. The only char that’s been playing a bit differently is the Shaman – but don’t expect much.

Graphics: I must say I really like the cartoony style of the game. It makes for a welcome change from Sacred 2. Kudos for choosing it.

Music: I don’t like it. I really think this game would have gained much more credit from me if it had an Orcs Must Die type of music. The OMD 1 & 2 music is intense, it keeps you on your feet, and it makes the action much more fun. I would also pick X-Blades type of music for it, if possible. Look those 2 up on youtube. You might just like it. I play OMD 1 & 2 music when I go to work, when I travel, everywhere. It pumps me up. SC music does not.

Sound and Vocals: I like it. There are some really nice punch lines that make you LOL. Thing is, games like Magicka and Orcs Must die have them too, and they cost like 4-5€ on Steam. Why spend 15, when 5 will suffice?

Multiplayer: I played some games, and I am not totally overjoyed – probably because I did not know the people I played with. I admit, it does feel like Cadillacs and dinosaurs’ game. The difference is, C&D chars played differently. With Mustafa, you wanted to be mobile and agile. With Mess, you were a tank, smashing people. With Hannah, you were everywhere, you were picking stuff to use every time, and with Jack, you were the Jack of All Trades. In SC, you have chars that play the same most of the time. YAY…

To conclude, my main gripe with SC is that it is an offense to the Sacred franchise with its boring gameplay. It does not let you get creative; it does not have any type of freedom, it just guides you through side scrolling bashing “fun” from start to end. The gameplay isn’t about what you do – it is about forcing you to do it for hours and hours. Sacred 2 did it. Guild Wars franchise does it too. With all due respect, SC does not.

• Like! 1

In my eyes, Citadel has its pros and cons. I got it... and I am generally not happy with it. Time to say why – and I apologize for the lengthy post. It is aimed to give the best perspective possible.

Gameplay: in my opinion, the gameplay took a big dump into Citadel. Many people branded Sacred 2 as unplayable due to its many bugs. However, they got fixed one after the other, and in the end, we had a very decent game with a frighteningly addictive leveling system that was just pushing you to try and get over the next hurdle just to see how much more you can tweak your character. Tweaking characters was tons of fun, and with the multitude of builds that Sacred 2 gave us, it was craploads of fun. So many people had shopper toon networks, they were shopping and tweaking for HOURS ON END, and it was oh so rewarding to see all that work pay off. Top it off by having every character play differently, and you get an even more satisfying Sacred 2 experience. So many people posted tons of builds, each reflecting their own gameplay, and each build was FUN to try out. Some builds even got over 100 000 views for peach’s sake. This means people were HOOKED!!

What does SC have? Button mashing, no builds whatsoever, side scrolling action and stun-locking. That would make every gameplay downright stale, repetitive and in the end, boring. What is worse, every character plays similarly. I was so hyped up to try a Seraphim, as everyone on FDM knows that I am huge Seraphim lover. Guess what, after I rerolled a warrior, he PLAYED 90% of the time THE SAME WAY. The only char that’s been playing a bit differently is the Shaman – but don’t expect much.

Graphics: I must say I really like the cartoony style of the game. It makes for a welcome change from Sacred 2. Kudos for choosing it.

Music: I don’t like it. I really think this game would have gained much more credit from me if it had an Orcs Must Die type of music. The OMD 1 & 2 music is intense, it keeps you on your feet, and it makes the action much more fun. I would also pick X-Blades type of music for it, if possible. Look those 2 up on youtube. You might just like it. I play OMD 1 & 2 music when I go to work, when I travel, everywhere. It pumps me up. SC music does not.

Sound and Vocals: I like it. There are some really nice punch lines that make you LOL. Thing is, games like Magicka and Orcs Must die have them too, and they cost like 4-5€ on Steam. Why spend 15, when 5 will suffice?

Multiplayer: I played some games, and I am not totally overjoyed – probably because I did not know the people I played with. I admit, it does feel like Cadillacs and dinosaurs’ game. The difference is, C&D chars played differently. With Mustafa, you wanted to be mobile and agile. With Mess, you were a tank, smashing people. With Hannah, you were everywhere, you were picking stuff to use every time, and with Jack, you were the Jack of All Trades. In SC, you have chars that play the same most of the time. YAY…

To conclude, my main gripe with SC is that it is an offense to the Sacred franchise with its boring gameplay. It does not let you get creative; it does not have any type of freedom, it just guides you through side scrolling bashing “fun” from start to end. The gameplay isn’t about what you do – it is about forcing you to do it for hours and hours. Sacred 2 did it. Guild Wars franchise does it too. With all due respect, SC does not.

I think you're maybe missing the point of Sacred Citadel...

It's been a long drought since Ascaron released Sacred 2 - and for that matter Ice and Blood. 4 years is an eternity in the gaming community. I'm sure Gogo can produce statistical data on how many new people signed up to FDM 6 - 7 months ago vs how many have signed up since Sacred 2 was released on Steam.

The move to put I&B on Steam, Sacred Citadel are merely there to revive and build new interest in the franchise so when the real product - Sacred 3 - shows up everybody will be jazzed once again and will buy Sacred 3.

Citadel was never meant to be the main course. It's always been meant to be an appetizer.

Take it for what it's worth.

• Like! 1

Hmm I fell for it and bought it.

first let me say it not a bad game, its just not that good and, its not very sacred I do actually like the graphics and the music. apart from that I dont really like the game. I don't like how orc are portrayed . I know I know orc love. But it one of reasons iam a big fan of sacred, orcs arnt naturally evil or that stupid. The game probably would have been better without the sacred mask.

Edited by grimwold

You said it, Grimwold. I might've gotten it day 1, if not that Sacred brand, which it doesn't really deserve... Surely, if the devs would've really delved into all that's Sacred, and really though about us old fans, they might've cooked up something really amazing. There's lots and lots of wasted potential...

In my books, this is far from good appetizer for Sacred 3...

Ok, I suppose I am missing the point. However, if this is going to be a precursor to the big game, why not make it a real cool one? It would have been so much fun if SC could give a small glimpse into the upcoming S3 game by giving us certain bits and pieces of the story, or the lore, or anything related to it for that matter. It would have made the people even more hyped up for the real thing when it comes out.

Ask yourself: why is there no variation? Why is it a mere button mashing? There was never mindless button mashing in the Sacred series. Why the leveling in SC is so stale? Why not add a few choices of skills/abilities per level-up? It doesn't have to be much, just enough to spice up things a bit.

I agree that this game can be considered an appetizer, but why not make it a good one? Granted, 15€ isn't much, but in my opinion, this game looks more like milking the franchise than anything else.

SC looks to be almost the same as Orcs must die! And being a scrolling platform? I feel like someone dropped me into the dark old days of platform games. :dntknw: Is it really worth getting it? I think I'm going to keep hold of my hard earned cash and wait for S3. :smart:

Edited by S-P