Is Sacred Citadel any good

SC looks to be almost the same as Orcs must die! And being a scrolling platform? I feel like someone dropped me into the dark old days of platform games. :dntknw: Is it really worth getting it? I think I'm going to keep hold of my hard earned cash and wait for S3. :smart:

Best bet would be to try the demo and find out for yourself.

Ok, I suppose I am missing the point. However, if this is going to be a precursor to the big game, why not make it a real cool one? It would have been so much fun if SC could give a small glimpse into the upcoming S3 game by giving us certain bits and pieces of the story, or the lore, or anything related to it for that matter. It would have made the people even more hyped up for the real thing when it comes out.

Ask yourself: why is there no variation? Why is it a mere button mashing? There was never mindless button mashing in the Sacred series. Why the leveling in SC is so stale? Why not add a few choices of skills/abilities per level-up? It doesn't have to be much, just enough to spice up things a bit.

I agree that this game can be considered an appetizer, but why not make it a good one? Granted, 15€ isn't much, but in my opinion, this game looks more like milking the franchise than anything else.

Good point. It likely could have been better. Granted I haven't played the game as yet. My video card is far below the minimum spec.

Note to self: I really gotta do something about that. Soon. <sigh>

Then again, I think Deep Silver was working on a budget. They're producing two games instead of one.

In one way, I can see why they're not going all out on spending the money. Ascaron did that - and look at where that got them. Bankruptcy court - and I doubt Deep Silver wants to wind up there ever.

I'm sure there's more method to their apparent madness - stuff we maybe haven't seen just yet.

They're not orcs, they're grimmocks. Whatever they are... I got the game on PS3, and I've got to say it's an okay side scrolling beat 'em up. It's reminded me of playing Golden Axe on my Commodore Amiga back in the early 90s, though with slightly more complexity. I think it would probably be more fun as couch co-op, as someone mentioned earlier. As SP, it quickly gets repetitive and not much fun.

• Like! 1

I really like this game. No it is not Sacred as we know it. It is a beat em up with RPG elements. Golden Axe with loot is a nice way of putting it. It is fun if you like these kinds of games. It is nice teaser to the upcoming Sacred 3 as far as character types/setting.

• Like! 1

I tried the demo today, as that's exactly as it is. I TRIED it.

Decided to remove this ASAP from my computer for several reasons.

1) The cartoonesque back ground makes the game look childish

2) keyboard controls are just awkward. Especially if you're used to use the mouse for about every game you're playing.

3) Storyline sucks big time. Even Sacred 2's story line was better

4) so does the voice acting.

5) Help function isn't helpful at all. I mean, double tab space to make a double jump and when doing so, you can't continue your way? Turned out you needed to double tab space and press D to continue.

6) Fighting in a mine and being over run by a train cart? Oh come on!! *vomits*

I can go on like this, but I won't.

Conclusion: If you're a child and using a PS3 - or any other console if that matters - this game "might" be something for you.

If you're an adult and have been playing S:UW and Sacred 2:I&B, you'd be insulted by this game and the lack of respect with the Sacred legacy.

Unfortunately for DS I'm in the 2nd group.

Minor Edit:

Since posting this, I wondered if there really impossible to play this at a PC. Then it dawned to me: This one would've looked marvellous at a Commodore C64 or an Amiga! :woot:

[End of edit]

Thorin :|

Edited by Thorin Oakshield
  • Like! 1

I tried the demo on my own (local game, 1 player). It's kind of what I expected by reading what was being said in this topic. The controls on the keyboard feels weird at times, it needs to be played with a controller. I guess I'm too used to Guild Wars 2 where you have to double tap the movement keys in order to dodge (I kept doing that on this demo). Other than that, I don't really mind the resolution, loot doesn't seem that random, I was hoping for a bigger inventory than just 4 items and items you could pickup and sell in-town rather than just throwing them on the ground where you picked up the new item, but hey it can't be perfect. I'd say put it on the Wii U eShop for the same price than the other version and I might end up buying it to play with the girlfriend.

EDIT : Not sure if the game should deserve to be called Sacred though, since I couldn't find that many elements similar to Sacred.

Edited by Flooxim
  • Like! 1

I haven't even downloaded the demo yet, but I can see this game's really hit or miss?
Maybe if I have time this week I'll give it a go... I do like games that allow for quick in and egress

:)

gogo

p.s. is it true, that ranger can fire as fast as we can press?

Well, neglecting how unSacred it is, I found it to still be quite fun. Maybe thats because I'm so swamped with uni at the moment that jumping in for 30mins here or there of mindless gameplay is all I need...

I agree that it's not very Sacred at all, but it was certainly a decently fun game. If they had put another brand on the game I feel that it may have been better received, but the gameplay is still fun to boot up for a couple minutes and smash some monsters.

• Like! 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I tried the demo and liked it for about five minutes. My problem with it is the fact that it's not Sacred 2. I totally understand that it's not supposed to be like Sacred 2, my problem with Every game is that it's not Sacred 2. I've finally come to terms with the fact that I'm a certifiable Sacred 2 addict. Before Blood and Ice came to Steam, I preordered Grim Dawn. When the alpha was released a week or so ago, I was so excited,spent a day playing it, then it was back to Sacred 2. I read about an alpha called Kenshi, bought the early release, played that for a few days, then it was back to Sacred 2. It's not exactly like I'm new to Sacred 2, I bought it for 360 the day it came out. I have no clue why I'm so hooked, but I've realized buying games is a waste of money for me because nothing can ever replace Sacred 2 in my eyes. I have no real point in making this post, I've never really said anythinig on here yet, so, lol, Hello, my name's Ryan and I'm a Sacred 2 addict :)

• Like! 1

I tried the demo and liked it for about five minutes. My problem with it is the fact that it's not Sacred 2. I totally understand that it's not supposed to be like Sacred 2, my problem with Every game is that it's not Sacred 2. I've finally come to terms with the fact that I'm a certifiable Sacred 2 addict. Before Blood and Ice came to Steam, I preordered Grim Dawn. When the alpha was released a week or so ago, I was so excited,spent a day playing it, then it was back to Sacred 2. I read about an alpha called Kenshi, bought the early release, played that for a few days, then it was back to Sacred 2. It's not exactly like I'm new to Sacred 2, I bought it for 360 the day it came out. I have no clue why I'm so hooked, but I've realized buying games is a waste of money for me because nothing can ever replace Sacred 2 in my eyes. I have no real point in making this post, I've never really said anythinig on here yet, so, lol, Hello, my name's Ryan and I'm a Sacred 2 addict :)

Love your post! And what a marvelous introduction...addicted to Sacred 2 we love it, and welcome to the boards !

gogo

Thanks, my fiance is also stoked that I found this site so I have people other than her to talk to about Sacred. Poor woman already has to hear about gems all day from me (I'm a gemologist and gemologist appraiser). So, most of our day iinvolves shisha, tea, Sacred, and gemstones. Lol, she says our bedroom looks like King Tut's tomb

• Like! 1

Scott, I have a question for you that noone has been able to answer, especially since none of my friends drink coffee. Now, keep in mind that I have a heightened sense of smell. Anyway, I've noticed that sometimes when I leave coffee sit for a few hours, it smells faintly of cat urine. I've looked all over the net, others also have made this claim, but noone knows why. So, since you like hours old coffee, do you have an explanation?

Um.. I think Scott's comments were supposed to be in jest.

BUT... If you mean coffee that's been sitting in the pot and on a burner being kept warm - the answer is the stuff gets burnt after a while. Having done a stint as a convenience store clerk, I know of what I speak.

No, it wasn't burnt,but I found the explanation about the coffee, ya learn something new every day. Do you like Los Angeles? I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, but never really ventured past Oceanside.

Thanks. What did you think about Grim Dawn?

Haven't finished it yet, but I think it's a fantastic game especially for an alpha build. Definitely worth my time/money, and hopefully they will listen to player feedback which is something I feel they are good about.

P.S. Maybe one of the mods should move this into a welcome thread? That way we don't derail the Sacred Citadel thread :)

True, I think I'm going to stop. I don't have anything new to add to the SC conversation. But I really hope a new expansion is created for Sacred 2. I don't like SC, and honestly don't think I will like Sacred 3

No, keep going! lol This convo is making the secret Citadel topic keep having life, it's a good discussion now tween members, comparing with respect to original topic, I'm glad you love to chat Gilberticus, you've in great company!

gogo

• Like! 1