Here are some snapshots I took earlier this week.

A view of the dam.

2wbyelx.jpg

A few shots from the top of the dam.

ynw5k.jpg

29vj86e.jpg

20oxg6.jpg

fdrh4h.jpg

This last pic was taken some ways upriver.

2zqu6bm.jpg

• Like! 1

Seems like you had great view everywhere you went. I was wondering where you'd been for the last couple days, I guess I forgot you said you were taking some vacation.

Ahhh memories. I remember visiting the Dam back in 1958, it was very impressive to me then - looks like it still is.

Of course back then they were still selling stickers and trinkets with the Boulder Dam name on them. :nooo:

:viking:

Looks good man. Guess there's a little vertigo to be expected when skulking on the top of that thing. :)

I'm not too bad with heights meself, but just thought of it. :P

It does represent one of the 7 industrial marvels of the modern world.

Very impressive. I have not ever seen the dam in person. But have been told by enough who have that it is a sight to behold.

Very happy you have gotten to see a modern marvel lujate!

*High Fives*

I remain, :thumbsup:

Love the shots Luj. Always wanted to visit massive huge constructions like this, even the big Grand Canyon has been on my mind for a long time, if just to get perspective and have those crazy moments of grounded.

Anyone caught skate boarding down it yet?

:P

gogo

The scale of the dam is just massive and the pics just cannot convey that.

Kiy, the dam would probably not be worth a trip, but if you are ever in Vegas visiting your friend it would be worth swinging by to see. Probably skip the tour though. All it gets you is a long elevator ride down to see the turbines and a walk through a tiny history exhibit.

There is no contesting the fact that this was/is an engineering marvel and that it has been highly beneficial for the local area. In looking at its history, however, you may wish to realize that even beneficial projects may have a negative environmental impact. I still remember the scenes of devastated farmland in Mexico, all caused by the loss of water to the Dam.

Is it any wonder that Mexicans in general don't like us?

I visited 3 dams and everytime the graveyards below of the people in the valley who died when they were bombed....

One of my neighbour villages which was build in the afterwar years for refugees from former east germany and hungary is in a valley. There were no houses for centuries because once in a hundred years there was a flood. It happened at a certain wind direction when clouds got pressed together and couldn't climb the valley. Last time our firefighter dep was called for help and we pumped cellars for 3 days around the clock. If even this local floods do great damage and people are warned, I don't want to imagine what happened when the dam at the Eder was bombed.

I feel always lucky that I live near tophill, even it means that I have to order trucks with water if my fountain runs dry.