Bacon encrusted Burger and other bacon inventions....

whew had me worried for a sec when saw mouce bacon,,,,Thought you was going to say someone came up with making bacon out of mice,,,well hey if they can make a pate out of the hearts of hummingbirds they might do anything,,,can you imagine how many poor hummingbird hearts it would take to make a cup of pate

• Like! 1

Mouse Bacon -YUMMY

In germany we have Mäusespeck. It translates as mouse bacon. Farmers used roasted bacon as a bait for mousetraps. Roasting removed the human smell from the trap. The name was re-used for marshmallows.

Nobody here knows marshmallows, but Mäusespeck is very useful as a bait for kits ;) Now some company even produce Mäusespeclk which looks like mice.

collage1-624x435.jpg

Hmm These look suspiciously like an Easter favorite here in the US.. Peeps!

post-14586-0-02826200-1425577529_thumb.jpg

Like their marshmallow rodent cousins, they too, can be made into cookies and pies and what not.

I don't have a picture of this but it's easy to make.

Bacon and walnut brittle

1 cup sugar

1/3 cup light corn syrup

2 tablespoons water

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups raw walnuts (any nuts that you like), coarsely chopped

8 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled

1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste

1 teaspoon baking soda

directions:

Grease a baking sheet with softened butter generously.

Add the sugar, corn syrup, water and salt to a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to bubble, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the walnuts and bring the sugar to a simmer/bubble, cooking until it is golden brown, about 3 more minutes. Stir in the bacon, vanilla bean paste and baking soda.

Quickly spread the mixture on the baking sheet until it's about 1/4-inch thick. Let cool completely, about an hour. Break into pieces/shards and serve or package for gifts! This can be made a few days ahead of time for gifting.

It is like a honeycomb recipe, without the honey, and the adition of the bacon and walnuts, is there a certain temperature that you have to take the sugar mixture to?

Delta!

• Like! 1

I just heat it till it is a dark brown I never used a candy thermometer. It will take about 5-6 minutes to get the golden brown color. After a few times making it you get to know the exact time it takes for it to turn the golden brown. It goes great crumbeled on top of the pumpkin pudding dish.

• Like! 1

I'd probably actually like that, it's not the taste that would bother me, it's the thought of it that gets me, I'd feel like a big ole lardo Homer Simpson after eating one of those.

• Like! 1

This is SO WRONG on SO many levels..

Seem Krispy Kreme has announced a new hot dog. With bacon... Sounds good so far.. BUT... the troubling thing about it, however... Well... There's NO easy way to say it.. The bun is made of glazed doughnut and the bloody thing is filled with jelly... :cstars::sick:

attachicon.gif031115donuthotdog.jpg

attachicon.gifB_0PwkvWQAA-I_R.jpg

owch went me heart...

think we be in wuv

:heart:

gogo

Why not bacon with fruits?

Pflaumen im Speckmantel, plums wrapped with bacon, are quite tasty and really easy to do.

Remove the core of a plum and replace it with an almond.

Wrap bacon around the plum and fix it with a toothpick.

Roast it in a pan with some oil.

In lack of big plums on our trees we often use Reine Claudes (greengage).

pflaumen-mit-mandeln-fuellen.jpg

pflaumen-mit-speck-umwickeln.jpg

pflaumen-im-speckmantel-2.jpg

A local hot dog restaurant serves a hotdog with peanut butter on it. I haven't tried the place or the dog just heard about it. But I guess the peanut butter melts and some people like that.

• 6 months later...

Well, if you want fruit with your bacon, how about a Swineapple?

It's a pineapple stuffed with boneless short ribs that's been wrapped in bacon:

post-14586-0-65047300-1443918379_thumb.jpg

It's made in a smoker/grill. It's a sort of Hawaiian version of a TurDuckEn.. - you know - the turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken. Except this is made with pineapple and pork.

The instructions can be found here...

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • Like! 1

I guess Hawaii has pineapples. They don't grow at our place. I think experimenting is mainly done with local stuff. You have too many fruits of a sort and don't like the same recipes over and over again. At a 5 star restaurant our selfmade lunch at sunday would have a complicated name like:

Bratwurst im Speckmantel nach Müllerinnen Art mit sauren Bohnen
Speckmantel = wrapped with bacon
Müllerinnen Art = Müllerin is a wife of a miller, so it is for dusted with flour or bread dust
saure Bohnen = fermented green or yellow beans

You remove the hide from a Bratwurst, wrap bacon (or Kochschinken = boiled ham, prosciutto) around it, use a twirled egg and bread dust to dust it, fry it.
Serve with fermented green beans. Sadly each kids prefers its own Bratwurst variant: cheese filled, herb filled, without extras, ... The best comprise is the cheese filled one. Picture is from the german chefkoch site. We do mainly a not so fine cut Bratwurst filling when making our owns.

516897-420x280-fix-bratwurst-schinkenroe