Bacon encrusted Burger and other bacon inventions....

I think you missed the point...

Ground Beef and Pork can't be sold in the US in ONE combined product - unless it's a sausage. Your typical market will only have 2 maybe 4 kinds of sausage - Italian, Chorizo, Breakfast links, and 1 lb tubes of breakfast sausage. Many of these come in mild and spicy varieties. And they're usually packaged in some form of tamper evident wrapping.

You CAN buy plain Ground Beef, and plain Ground Pork - and do the mixing yourself to your heart's content. Not like they have any means to control what you do with it once you leave the store. You can also buy bacon and - as above mix it yourself into ground beef or pork or both. It's just you can't go to your local supermarket and pick up a package of 50% beef and 50% pork.

So if I go into a restaurant and order meatloaf that's OK, but if I go into a butchers and ask for a mix of beef and pork mince, ie meatlloaf ingredients, that isn't?

Totally stupid, but I suppose I should expect it. We have similar stupidities here. I went to the market and filled a conatiner with coleslaw from the salad bar. they couldn't sell it to me as it was an ingredient, not a salad. So I put 1 olive on the top and they said I could now buy it because it was a mix of ingredients and allowed under EU law, while the individual ingedient (coleslaw) alone wasn't unless prepacked!

Edited by podgie_bear

I just did a small list which product probably wouldn't be allowed to be sold undone in the USA:

mixed groud meat, mixed goulash, beef burgers in a fatnet from a big, fish in fatnet, Mit Mett gefuellter Rollbraten,...

The later would be:

http://www.grillsportverein.de/upload_neu/2008/07/5067_braten_auf_grill_2.jpg

Hard to do the rope binding if you are not used to it. Most people here buy it prepared.

Yeah.. Well... They DO mean well (the government)...

It's got to do with food safety - cross contamination and such. While a professional butcher who really knows his craft will wash everything between handling different meats and such, you can't expect some guy they hired for chump change to know all there is to know. And that IS what Supermarkets want - someone who has the basics - but is cheap to hire and keep on the payroll. They've gone as far as pre-packaging some meat items in a sort of factory setting and then rolling out the foam meat trays and tubes and such to various stores.

This works out for Big Brother too - they don't need as many USDA inspectors to go around to visit every store to make sure they're up to snuff - just have to deal with one plant that throws the trays together and ships them out.

I just did a small list which product probably wouldn't be allowed to be sold undone in the USA:

mixed groud meat, mixed goulash, beef burgers in a fatnet from a big, fish in fatnet, Mit Mett gefuellter Rollbraten,...

The later would be:

http://www.grillsportverein.de/upload_neu/2008/07/5067_braten_auf_grill_2.jpg

Hard to do the rope binding if you are not used to it. Most people here buy it prepared.

Not so sure about the last one - Isn't that a beef loin on the grill? Looks to be a bit thick for pork loin...

I've seen loins like that (among other things) trussed up with string like that in the store.

As long as there's no other ingredients - like fat netting - involved, putting a roast like that in bondage by the butcher is actually OK...

Not entirely sure what you mean by "mixed goulash" either..

Edited by wolfie2kX

Gulasch halb und halb, goulash half beef half pork

The beef in the string bondage is often filled with minced pork and vegs. The bondage prevents it from falling apart.

Picture was pork left and beef right. Pork is normally not filled and cut in stripes to be served with bread at a cold buffet later the night at a party. The roasted beef is eaten right away.

Where my family came from (Hungary) it's all beef...

So the beef one is a roulade - not a loin of beef. Nope. Those would not be permitted to be concocted and sold in US supermarkets. The loin of pork would be.

However, during the festive seasons (Christmas, Easter, etc...), I have seen Crown Racks of Lamb trussed up at the market.

post-14586-0-90151700-1376101701_thumb.jpg

Mind you, they weren't stuffed, nor was there any garnish supplied. Just the raw lamb rack, bent and tweaked into the circular shape and trussed to keep it as such. Nor were any paper booties supplied with the rack.

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • 1 year later...

Guess what I took with me for work: Schmandschnitzelbrötchen.

I leave you alone without saying what it is, Schmandschitzelbrötchen, Schmandschnitzelbrötchen, Schmandschnitzelbrötchen, ...

• Like! 1

You life longer and happier if you creativly handle maths. Example:

Starting eating a BIG bacon at 1pm 30 years of your biological clock, taking 15 minutes.

Total life loss is 9 minutes calculated by doctors. So the biological clock would be at 1.09pm and 30 years. So actually good chewing the bacon and fully enjoying the taste of it in the mouth longers your life.

Never trust doctors doing maths, always trust your mathematically gourmand ;)

lol I think you missed the joke. He's saying he's eaten SO much bacon, he should have been dead back long before he was born...

That said, I don't always trust doctors and their maths. If half their maths were accurate, the human race should have been extinct a long time ago.

The recipe sounds good tho.. :)

I got the joke. There was a german equivalent which said something like.

Jede Schweinshaxe verkürzt deine Lebenszeit um eine Viertelstunde. Each knuckle of pork shortens your lifespan by a quarter hour. And the guy in bavarian leather trousers says: 'I know. I died already in 1176, 1345, 1561, 1789 and now I am eating away my fifth reincarnation.'

What I wanted to say is that many many statistics from health freaks often forget to give a reference scale, they just throw numbers. So I decided long ago to choose my own reference system.

Eating a bacon robs 9 minutes? What if I need 15 minutes to eat it? Where do the 6 Minutes difference go? I see them as extra 6 minutes to my life ;)

As my professor in statistics said: their is always something in a statistic missing. Use it to hammer the numbers into the heads of people who do not share your point of view ;)

For the recipe

Lot of my Schnitzels are from boar. So they have a strong wild game taste. Marinating with milk acid bacteria as in Schmand is one way to soften the taste. But since I like the Schmand taste I use the recipe even for Schnitzel from a young calf.

But in difference to the cheese areas where calves are slaughtered mainly for makling cheese our area does hand cheese which is started by bacteria. So Schnitzels are mainly not from slaughtered away calves but from pig.

The baking house down is the village is heated, the rye yeast dough riped an hour, time to put all the tasty stuff on it: eggs, Schmand, dusted small greenback and bacon cubes, leek rings, ... speckkuchen_gr.jpg

... a green hessian bacon cookie. Found in recipe books before colombus discovered america bacon pie and even before quiche lorraine was mentioned.

A variant not for plates in a baking house and not green:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2007/12/cook-the-book-german-bacon-cookies-speckkuchen-recipe.html

• 4 weeks later...

OK... So if you think you've seen it all... And then comes THIS:

post-14586-0-65014800-1425432578_thumb.jpg

Yes... Now you too can get your cholesterol fix in a bottle! Harden those arteries with this refreshing pork flavored beverage!

Go whole hog without getting your fingers dirty!

Oh.. And yes, this IS a real product available here

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • Like! 1

Mouse Bacon -YUMMY

In germany we have Mäusespeck. It translates as mouse bacon. Farmers used roasted bacon as a bait for mousetraps. Roasting removed the human smell from the trap. The name was re-used for marshmallows.

Nobody here knows marshmallows, but Mäusespeck is very useful as a bait for kits ;) Now some company even produce Mäusespeclk which looks like mice.

collage1-624x435.jpg

• Like! 1

I made a pumpkin dish that everyone seems to love. They always ask me to bring it when have a potluck dinner to go to. It has Maple bacon/walnut brittle crumbled on top of it.

see.. now this I can live with

:D

gogo

Mouse Bacon -YUMMY

In germany we have Mäusespeck. It translates as mouse bacon. Farmers used roasted bacon as a bait for mousetraps. Roasting removed the human smell from the trap. The name was re-used for marshmallows.

Nobody here knows marshmallows, but Mäusespeck is very useful as a bait for kits ;) Now some company even produce Mäusespeclk which looks like mice.

collage1-624x435.jpg

lol

lucky mice

:P

gogo