Help name the Food Bank's new food truck!

https://www.facebook.com/cfbeo?v=app_79458893817

The Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma is buying a food truck! It will mainly be used to feed meals to children and senior citizens in low income areas. But it may get used a couple times per month as a regular food truck (ie, selling food to paying customers).

So put on those thinking caps, click the link above and post as many names as you can think of! It might be a silly name or a play on words or an acronym. Feel free to share your ideas here as well so the rest of us can get inspired. If you'd rather not post them on Facebook yourself, post them here and ask me to submit it for you. Edit: oh, and the deadline is June 30th, so get busy!

I will tell you that "stone soup" is already out because of a local charity starting a food kitchen by that name.

947038_10151625427314509_312851943_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/cfbeo?ref=ts#!/photo.php?fbid=10151625427314509&set=pb.92368229508.-2207520000.1371588488.&type=3&theater

Edited by masteff

Hmmm.. This is a good challenge. What sort of food will they be serving on this truck?

The reason I ask - many of the food trucks featured in the Great Food Truck Race have had names that were thematic with the food being served - e.g. Seoul Sausage was a truck that featured Korean sausages - among other things. Speaking of which, been itching to go check them out since they're mostly local to me...

But I digress... Give us an idea of what sort of food they're gonna be serving and that should help us come up with something cool.

Btw.. Lettuce Eat NOW would be great - if it was a salad bar on wheels. That's my first impression of the name. Don't get me wrong - it's a cute play on words and I do like it - but it might not be appropriate if say, they're going to do something entirely different like oh.. BBQ pork for example.

It will be a wide variety of food, rather than a specialty truck. One day it might serve soup at a senior center, the next it might serve sack lunches to kids at a housing complex, the next it might sell food at a food truck gathering. Nutrition will be an important factor. My boss likes the NOW acronym for "nutrition on wheels", so feel free to work that in.

Btw.. Just so everyone here knows - there's a prize associated with this contest... If your entry gets picked you get dinner for 2 at their next shindig...

Of course, it does help to be in and around the neighborhood to collect on that.

On that note... I would think it's better for me, at least, to submit my names here - at least, you're in a better position to collect than I am in Los Angeles.

So.. here goes...

1.) N.O.W. (Pure simplicity. Just the acronym in big glow in the dark neon bordered white letters on a dark gray background.)

2.) Feed Me N.O.W.

3.) Feed Us N.O.W.

How about "meals on wheels?" since they will do a variety of dishes that can change daily...

Delta!

Meals on wheels started in UK in worldwar 2. Essen auf Raedern in germany 1961,...

Food banks:

Germany

Here it is mainly callled Tafel. Tafel stands for the dinning table used in midage by nobles: long table with all sort of meals on.

Switzerland

They call it: 'Tischlein deck dich' after the fairytale from the Brother Grimm. English name for the fairytale is wishing table? The T in Tischlein is formed like a table:

logo_tischlein_09.jpg

Austria has same name a swiss:

kopf.png

I like Tischlein deck dich more than our Tafel. Especially if considering meals for kids at school.

I don't know how well known the fairytale is outside german speaking countries, but perhaps there is an equivalent? Tischlein deck dich are the magic words you have to speak in the fairytale: little Table cover yourself ?

scan015102062009.jpg

There is a constant discussion if foodbanks target the right people. Several old women on countryside feel to ashamed to ask for help or are not able to drive to town where the Tafel is. Emigrants use the Tafel alot even they are normaly got more money from social networks than these old ladies from retirement payment.

My wife (a doc) says that Meals on Wheels (a non free organization) is often more accepted by them and does the paperwork for the health insurance for them, so they won't have to pay the full price.

How about "meals on wheels?" since they will do a variety of dishes that can change daily...

Delta!

Excellent thought Delta! But similar to what Chattius mentioned, we have an organization called Meals on Wheels that delivers to home-bound seniors. I should have thought to list that as taken already.

Yeah.. Meals on Wheels is a generic name for the sort of program that delivers meals to seniors and such - even if that's not the name of the program in the given area.

Truth be told, the food from such programs leaves a lot to be desired... I seriously hope this food truck would step it up a few notches. I've had the displeasure of sampling some of my mom's leftovers...

• 3 weeks later...

PPP = Pizza, Pasta, Pommes

A caterer for kids birthdays, I think oekotrophologists will get headaches reading such a name. But my daughter reported than they served Bratlinge at the birthday of a friend. Bratlinge are tradtional german veg burgers.

• 2 months later...

Ah yes!

The final name is "Mobile Eatery" which they will sometimes shorten to "ME" as in "Meet ME at...". We have another truck called the "Mobile Pantry", so the two names are similar.

I will post pictures once the truck comes back from the graphics company that is applying a vinyl logo wrap.

That's an awesome amount of fruit to give the senior's home. Our food bank has started a garden and it has added several hundred pounds of vegetables to what we have delivered. Our biggest problem is lack of labor to maintain the garden and pull weeds.

We have like 200 trees of different sorts: apples, plums, pears, quinces, reneclaude, mirabells, cherries, servus tree,...

The apples and pears I gave were old trees. So no quick harvesting from a wagon but long ladders needed. Also there were bats and hornets nesting in the trees. So I waited till they left with the harvest and used the crane from my unimog instead of ladders. The fruits were just a picking here and there while I checked the trees for animals in treeholes, loose branches which would have to be saw away,..I was puzzled when I had 20 big baskets of pears and apples in just an afternoon. I was told that the seniors like the old local sorts they were used too more than the new sorts found in shops so I just drove there and unloaded half of the fruits.

It is somehow strange to see classmates from our kids refusing offered apples because they don't look nice. But they just never saw chemicals and were more like wild apples.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Malus-Ananasrenette.jpg

Ah yes!

The final name is "Mobile Eatery" which they will sometimes shorten to "ME" as in "Meet ME at...". We have another truck called the "Mobile Pantry", so the two names are similar.

I will post pictures once the truck comes back from the graphics company that is applying a vinyl logo wrap.

That's an awesome amount of fruit to give the senior's home. Our food bank has started a garden and it has added several hundred pounds of vegetables to what we have delivered. Our biggest problem is lack of labor to maintain the garden and pull weeds.

Feh.. No imagination.. Ah well. We tried to come up with something more creative but they seem to have taken the safe road.

We started to bring fruits, vegs , potato to the senior home few years ago. Our oldest jumped two classes at school. So when she had to do a social class at school she was too young (per law, not psychical and physical) to do medical and hygienical work at the senior home. So she should do entertaining.
What she did first was interrogations of old peoples and writing down old local slang words and old recipes. Then she asked at home if she could have some fruits to try them out for some recipes at the senior home.
It may be different to a senior home in a town where food is deliveted daily, often ready for eating. The one near us has big storage cellars, big kitchens and is able to run even with 2 weeks of snow blocking cars. So they have room for stuffbrought by surrounding farmers and seniors who are fit can do their recipes for the rest.

I visited an old teacher at a senior home in a city. He showed me that some things weren't eaten and returned. The problem was that senior home shared same kitchen as the big bureau building nearby. Kiwi, expresso, ...might be nice, but the old people never did that. A little ugly wild apple, some Muckefrak (coffee replacement from the afterwar years), they eat that with fun,...

The apples don't look nice, but they look same as they had in their garden or were stealing from neighbours as kids.

If you can't eat with fun you get ill. So listening to what the seniors were used too isn't that much time and often cheaper. They weren't used to this expensive food, they grew up on countryside and learned in the afterwar years to use anything and never throw food away.

Feh.. No imagination.. Ah well. We tried to come up with something more creative but they seem to have taken the safe road.

Agreed!!

Why bother with the pretense of the contest then in the first place?

Having overheard some of the conversatins, they actually had no idea what they were going to use, so it was a good way to get fresh/different ideas.

My idea of "FORK (Food OutReach Kitchen)" was getting serious consideration at the very end.