Pacific Rim...

Anyone else thinking of seeing this?

In case you've missed it - this is Guillermo del Toro's latest flick due out on July 12th.

So what's it all about? Apparently, some giant aliens come out of the ocean and start consuming our resources so humans have devised these giant robots to fight and defeat them. All hope is lost until they figure out this one giant robot has a chance to deal with the baddies.

Sound familiar? It kinda should given a bunch of Anime has been devoted to this subject - Neon Genesis: Evangelion, the original Robotech saga, etc...

So in essence, think Godzilla (and any of the other Japanese monster flicks from the 60's and 70's) meets any of the above anime series.

Is it any good? No clue here - just watching the trailers and ads on TV for the flick. The special effects look good - tho there doesn't seem to be much in the way of big named stars in this movie. Which kinda makes me wonder why. del Toro is a big enough name as a director which SHOULD give him access to some bigger of the names in the business. The only name I recognized immediately was Ron Perlman best known as Hellboy...

EDIT: After watching the trailer again... I happened to notice that some of the monsters were glowing blue... Gee.. Maybe they've been borrowing from the realm of Sacred 2 in the form of T-Energy Mutants...? :D

Edited by gogoblender
  • Like! 1

I'm so down for this. I think I'll get bored of the story line after the first thirty minutes. Lately, it's more what happens tween ears and heart rather than tween bodies that's been interesting me....but have you looked at the effects for this? SO detailed... we're talking Super Movie level here, lots of big pops and grinds... yeah im read ready for it. The size of the monsters I love. Reminds me of the take on hugeness from Clash of the Titans with the Kraken. I could not stop watching that scene repeatedly, great work with water dripping off the monters.

Wolfie, I've updated your post to put in the trailer for one click action as well.

:)

gogo

I've read somewhere that they've built four-story structures for this movie and that they haven't used a lot of cgi. That's why the effects look so realistic...

I'm so down for this. I think I'll get bored of the story line after the first thirty minutes. Lately, it's more what happens tween ears and heart rather than tween bodies that's been interesting me....but have you looked at the effects for this? SO detailed... we're talking Super Movie level here, lots of big pops and grinds... yeah im read ready for it. The size of the monsters I love. Reminds me of the take on hugeness from Clash of the Titans with the Kraken. I could not stop watching that scene repeatedly, great work with water dripping off the monters.

Wolfie, I've updated your post to put in the trailer for one click action as well.

gogo

Thanks - Speaking of which - WHY is it so inconsistent? I post a YouTube link sometimes and it works, other times (like the one above) and it's not so much.

But yeah... The flick looks like it's full of wall to wall biblical level carnage. Did you catch the part toward the end where the giant robot is dragging what looks like a freakin' cruise ship and uses it to put the smackdown on the monster (@ 2:10 in my link)? A FREAKIN' CRUISE SHIP! The scale is epic...!

Interesting... The link you embedded is to a different video than the one I posted. Yours mentions a PORTAL that these things are coming through! My Sacred 2 theory just got a boost.. :D

I've read somewhere that they've built four-story structures for this movie and that they haven't used a lot of cgi. That's why the effects look so realistic...

Well.. I dunno. In some points, something like that would work - but at others - like during the battle sequences (which appear to be QUITE numerous), I don't see how that could work too well. There aren't any critters running around Earth that I know of that look like the enemy in this movie (after all, they ARE supposed to be aliens).

I remember back in the day, they used miniature sets when they had Godzilla and <<insert villain monster here>> battling over the fate of Tokyo, it looked quite fake mainly because it was a couple of guys running around in huge rubber suits between the miniature sets - thrashing them as they went along.

So, I'm sure there were some big sets - but not where things count. The beach scene in the above trailer - that could have been one, I can see that happening. Get some backhoes and other digging equipment and have them carve a huge footprint in the sand (33 seconds in the link I posted) - carefully covering up the trail they used to get the equipment in there. The rest? Not so much. All CGI..

Edited by wolfie2kX

"Why is everything blue?

Kate Hawley: That's Kaiju blood. Giant monsters have a crap load of giant blue blood in them. And it gets everywhere. The entire world is starting to turn blue. One particular scene set on Belcher street in Hong Kong is basically swimming in Indigo dye because of the seepage of monster blood."

http://www.movieweb.com/news/pacific-rim-set-visit-guillermo-del-toro-talks-creating-an-epic-monster-battle

Yeah.. and earlier on in that interview - del Toro went on to say that he didn't want to do an origin movie - all we know is a portal opened and the monsters came thru it.

SO.. Here it is, in a nutshell... Some mage on Ancaria got sick and tired of all the mutants roaming about and created a portal and banished them, the T-energy thru the portal - which wound up here. :D

That took all of oh.. 2 mins to come up with. Including spell checking.

• Like! 1

The whole robot HQ is the real deal. The moving robots are cgi, but the rest of the place was built from scratch...

Love this!! I've always loved models, and because of your post have been looking a bit more carefully at the trailers (yes, I'm a cheatah!) trying to determine where the real stuff stops and where the animation begins.

Thanks for this wonderful guessing game you've provided for me Jax, looking forward to the movie with more treasure to dig into. And speaking of models...anyone love the use of models in Star Trek 2 Wrath of Khan? Can't get enough of them, loved how that entire movie looked.

gogo

ahhh...yup. Down for this movie.

Also, I like the idea of *zero* A List actors. Kinda makes the whole experience fresh.

I remain, :bounce:

• Like! 1

Also, I like the idea of *zero* A List actors. Kinda makes the whole experience fresh.

There's actually ONE.. Ron "Hellboy" Perlman...

• Like! 1

Awesome!

Now you got me thinking to movies that I loved with no Alist actors

gogo

There's actually ONE.. Ron "Hellboy" Perlman...

lol Wolfie, r u kidding me? When was the last time ron perlman got super famous for anything tor had a drink bought for im at a bar?

Well... there WAS one movie I liked him in...but it was old one ... with Sean Connery... guess it>?

And what a gem is is

gogo

No, he's not SUPER famous - he's more of a character actor... But, he IS a recognizable individual. He isn't exactly petite...

He also does craploads of voice work in video games and animated series. I'm sure he's earned a few beers along the way...

Besides his current role in Pacific Rim, he's also got another Hellboy movie coming soon...

No idea which movie he did with Connery.

• Like! 1

No, he's not SUPER famous - he's more of a character actor... But, he IS a recognizable individual. He isn't exactly petite...

He also does craploads of voice work in video games and animated series. I'm sure he's earned a few beers along the way...

Besides his current role in Pacific Rim, he's also got another Hellboy movie coming soon...

too bad...it's a killer movie, is SO well written...clue.. I think original book based on... Uberto Ecco wrote it

:devil:

gogo

too bad...it's a killer movie, is SO well written...clue.. I think original book based on... Uberto Ecco wrote it

:devil:

gogo

It's The Name of The Rose. Back in 1986, wasn't it? Sean Connery is a monk - investigator and Perlman is a hunchback...

• Like! 1

Wow gogo, you sure dug deep for that one! I was completely stumped until I saw jaxx mention Chrisitan Slater, then I knew immediately (then scrolled up and saw it had already been answered).

• Like! 1

Actually Ron Perlman is in Sons of Anarchy, which is in it's 6th season on FX. Though I've watched the 1st 4 seasons on Netflix. So he has been active since Hellboy.

Sons of Anarchy is a pretty good series too.

• Like! 1

I remember seeing that movie a while ago... Christian Slater and F. Murray Abraham also played in that movie...

F Murray Abraham ... I forgot he was in it!! Woo hoo guess what I'm watching tonight

Wow gogo, you sure dug deep for that one! I was completely stumped until I saw jaxx mention Chrisitan Slater, then I knew immediately (then scrolled up and saw it had already been answered).

I did I did dig for it! lol delighted that it connected...that was just an awesome movie

Actually Ron Perlman is in Sons of Anarchy, which is in it's 6th season on FX. Though I've watched the 1st 4 seasons on Netflix. So he has been active since Hellboy.

Sons of Anarchy is a pretty good series too.

didn't know he was doing series work. The guy's charismatic, gonna aggree wth that. Did you see him in Drive?

Nasty bad guy

:mafia:

gogo