When and how do you use expulse magic?

claudius

A good time would be ANY situation where your opponent is likely to either cast a spell that will cause you problems - case in point - the Voodoo Prince dude in the swamp or Henier/Walther on Northend/Christmas Island. Or the Champion level furies also on Northend/Christmas Island. All three of them will do just that - cast spells that debuff you. So, the best thing to do would be to make it so they can't do that. Hit them with EM before they hit you.

Simply click on the icon in your spell selection and then right-click. Then quickly switch to something else and hit them hard and fast. Rinse, lather, repeat until your opponent is toast. Or you can hook it up as part of the first item in a combo - tho those can take time to regenerate. So you would likely be better off switching CAs mid stream. Maybe putting EM in slot 3 and one or two CAs like Blazing Tempest or Glacial Thorns in slots 1 and 2. Then use the keyboard by typing 3 to switch to EM, then jumping to BT by pressing 1 or GT by pressing 2. It's quicker then to jump back to EM by pressing 3...

The Voodoo prince and Walther/Henier also can cast Expluse magic. If they do manage to get it off before you can, you need to move - get out of their circle quickly and reset whatever they've disabled and hit them with an EM before they can hit you again.

Using Expulse Magic against them prevents them from debuffing you. So let's say you've got Grand Invigoration and either Crystal Skin or Incandescent Skin up and running before you go in, if you don't use EM on them - they will cast it and they will debuff you - first by removing your shield - Crystal or Incandescent Skin then removing GI - and then you're going to have a harder time. Many of your CAs will not work while his EM is up and running. You can't hit him with any magic based spell for the duration - and he WILL hit you again and again with EM to keep it that way.

Therefore its best to hit HIM first with EM, blast away with whatever, then hit him again just as soon as the first instance of EM wears off and you can do it again. But be careful, he will try to hit you with it before you can. Ergo, it's best to keep EM at a point where its duration is longer than the time to regenerate the CA. Each time you cast EM, it will last about 10 seconds - and the duration will go up as you eat more EM runes along with it's effectiveness at banishing your opponents magic.

Melee elves when fighting melee reflectors. Melee reflection is most often a buff - example(hedgehog-like turtles. Removing thebuff is lessdanger to dying on own attack.
Melee elves were my first characters and the reason gogo asked me to join this forum ;)

Edit: reflected damage by monsters was down-tuned in I&B I think, less instant deaths. My elf did 134000 damage at 31000jitpoints.

When and how do you use expulse magic?

Never used it all that much, heh never played much Ice Elf, but I kept seeing loads of people loving to use it in the swamp. Against the Voodoo prince as mentioned by Wolfie, it's sick... and of course there's a mod that allows it to do damage?

I remember Etherian constantly going around the swamp with me just blowing everything up FAST.

:)

gogo

Yeh... There are 2 mods actually that can damage enemies.. One is Banish Dead, the other Banish Creation. The former damages undead, the latter does damage to T-Energy critters. Kind of limited in what they can do... Except when you consider the Nameless Guardians are T-Energy creations. Me thinks that would be quite useful there. Think about it - IF the ones that have shields can be debuffed...

I found a use. But unfortunately too late. There is a demon that hits you with a magic damage bolt. It is almost enough to 1 shot and I was fighting 3 other demons and died.

But my new tactic with this soft core build is to stack expulse magic untill the demon runs away from fear and then ditch it. Expulse has a chance to cause fear effect.

I used it against any creature that cast powerful spells, and particularly against any enemy that could cast Expluse Magic itself (Undead Prince, Yeti on Christmas Island). The chance to make enemies flee in terror was also a big plus for me. I made a Delphic Arcania elf who used it almost constantly for that reason. It kept her from getting overwhelmed in melee so she could pick off fleeing enemies with Cobalt Strike. Those that didn't flee or came back into melee range she could whack with Magic Coup.

• Like! 1

CM-patch:

Try a max CA-range build (Faladal set, sigil set, nlovae staff, ice shield = 70% more at level 140) with expulse magic and ice storms- Slowed enemies trying to run away and can't escape the big radius of an ice storm.

Warning use a mod to reduce graphics and noise of the ice storms.